04-12-90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 04-12-90
Member since 2006 • 94 Posts
I was just wonderin i ordered final fantasy 7 from a game website coz ive never played and also because of all the sudden hype for the game aswell as being declared the best or one of the best games ever. Anyway back to the question i just wanted to know do you think the graphics on the game will effect the gameplay since the graphics now are way better compared to the older games?
zero_cool098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 zero_cool098
Member since 2006 • 1886 Posts
to me graphics is a very important part to gameplay.....it largely adds to the fun and amazement.....and i played ffx first than ff7 so i was kinda disaapointed with its gamplay when i played it(still havent finished the game coz of that reason)
DARKREBELWOLFE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DARKREBELWOLFE
Member since 2004 • 1415 Posts
well with some RPGs it does not matter to me unless they make it so bad you cannot figure out how to get to a path or find a road or something in standard RPGs, but if it involves having to use the land or scene to tel what is going on and I can not tell what one thing is from something else then I cannot stand to play it some older PSX games I do not like to play just cause the game play goes with the graphic. I do not mind the Graphics most times tho I still play Old games for Nintendo, Sega Gensis, Dreamcast, PSX, super nes even some times Atari 2600.
theBrownone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 theBrownone
Member since 2005 • 297 Posts
In an a rpg graphics should not matter only story and gameplay.
Dark_Kain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Dark_Kain
Member since 2004 • 1408 Posts
In an a rpg graphics should not matter only story and gameplay.theBrownone
Whole-heartedly seconding this comment.
joe603

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 joe603
Member since 2005 • 137 Posts
It all matters!  Though I have played FF1-6, tactics and now 10...couldn't get into FF7 for this very reason!  But, if you've never played it, you will love it!  A great story, and memorable characters.  It was a revolutionary game in its time (10 years ago).  Hopefully they will remake it for the PS3! 
Vvidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Vvidd
Member since 2006 • 283 Posts
[QUOTE="theBrownone"]In an a rpg graphics should not matter only story and gameplay.Gorman7147

And I am thirding it.
Avatar image for paintball102089
paintball102089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 paintball102089
Member since 2004 • 1694 Posts
i prefer the better graphics but it doesnt stop me from playing games. sometimes it is harder for me to get into the game isncei  am used to the realism now but with FFVII i can go pick it up and play it like it is a new game on the ps2 with awesome graphics. the game is so good i dont even see the blocky ppl. i just see the magnificence in the game
AsianGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 AsianGamer
Member since 2005 • 1052 Posts
[QUOTE="Gorman7147"][QUOTE="theBrownone"]In an a rpg graphics should not matter only story and gameplay.Vvidd

And I am thirding it.

I am forthing that.

In general, its nice to look at something good, but it shouldnt matter
Karinka19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#10 Karinka19
Member since 2005 • 349 Posts
graphics doesn't matter. and for those who say it does thats why the industry puts all of its time and money into, thinking that's the only thing to keep the fans/consumers happy and wanting more. they think that can compensate for the short coming in storyline, development in characters, and game play. i wouldn't care if they went back to 2D; keep me interested with a good storyline, unique characters and a new way of playing.
MeteorNess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 MeteorNess
Member since 2006 • 63 Posts
it surely affects mine, but in a small pourcentage, i think the gameplay and the story of the game is really more important than anything, like 70% or more of the game. but good graphics is always better ^^. But that's for new games, new games with good graphics means that the enterprise who made it is wealthy and did invest on it. We can't ask for perfect graphics for old games.
hplarjy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hplarjy
Member since 2004 • 1104 Posts
Graphics affect it. Because YOUR impression (but also depends on the person) really matter and has an impact if you will have a eagerness to play the game or not. But sometimes not. I've finished and enjoyed Dragon Quest 7. Has like not-so-good graphics at all, so first impression: OMG a NES game on a PS! But the DQ series prove its worth as the one of the best Traditional ol' RPG with its gameplay and astounding storyline + tilt. But now, expectations are too high and impressions on graphics can really lead to disappointment or lack of interest since most of us wanna see great graphics.
KHSaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KHSaw
Member since 2006 • 45 Posts
Of course it will affect the gameplay. For me, graphics play an vital role in gameplay.It is hard for me to play a game with bad graphics.With great graphics, you will definately enjoy the gameplay.KHSaw
SladeMcGowan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SladeMcGowan
Member since 2004 • 76 Posts

I prefer the old school graphics to the newer glossier graphics mainly because if you're in a dungeon and you are trying to find something that is quest or story related and it's down a certain hallway but you can't see it because it's being obscured by something else, it makes life difficult.  I do think graphics in some part affect gameplay, but it's nothing I can't deal with.

Cheers!

Jessica

funkytown90210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 funkytown90210
Member since 2006 • 573 Posts
As long as its as good as FF X's. I don't care.
FinalxRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FinalxRain
Member since 2005 • 1120 Posts
graphics are pretty much the main reason i didnt decide and go hunting for a copy of FF7. >____>
ShinAkuma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ShinAkuma777
Member since 2006 • 3602 Posts
graphics dont matter in rpgs its the storyline but graphics do add to the gameplay
Spurs_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#19 Spurs_Fan
Member since 2005 • 13023 Posts

I was just wonderin i ordered final fantasy 7 from a game website coz ive never played and also because of all the sudden hype for the game aswell as being declared the best or one of the best games ever. Anyway back to the question i just wanted to know do you think the graphics on the game will effect the gameplay since the graphics now are way better compared to the older games?04-12-90

.. Yeah i think it does. But i guess after while you forget about the graphics

Kazuma_Sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Kazuma_Sama
Member since 2006 • 46 Posts
IAt first, I was kinda put off by VII's graphics. But as I progressed further into the story, I found the graphics to be charming, lol. I actually do not want square to remake VII, mainly because they will use AC's art style, and its not the VII that was special to me. I'm sure there are others that share this feeling, lol.
mr_bri9htside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#21 mr_bri9htside
Member since 2005 • 1948 Posts
Well I'm playing Final Fantasy IX for the first time and I'm at the end of the third disc in Terra. So far, it hasn't affected my gameplay, BUT some paths in the dungeons may look like scenery, when you have to cross them to move on........:(
Kazuma_Sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Kazuma_Sama
Member since 2006 • 46 Posts
Well I'm playing Final Fantasy IX for the first time and I'm at the end of the third disc in Terra. So far, it hasn't affected my gameplay, BUT some paths in the dungeons may look like scenery, when you have to cross them to move on........:(mr_bri9htside
All the paths are part of the scenery. Its a prerendered backround.
odin2019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 odin2019
Member since 2006 • 4677 Posts

I'm going to say yes due to it playing a big role in the game.  Graphics, sound, story, gamplay, and other things like that are almost equal when it comes to importance of a game.  If the graphics were horrible for their time when any FF game was released most likely there wouldn't be as many FF games and there probably wouldn't be any FF game rated at a 9.5, maybe not even a 9.  If you look in the past just about every FF game released with good graphics for their time.

A game that makes you have an appreciation for good looking graphics is xenogears and I wouldn't want the FF games on the ps1 to look similar to xenogears.

zambo1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 zambo1987
Member since 2006 • 882 Posts
In my opinion is important if the graphics was good at the exit time, doesn't matter if now seems like old, it's normal!
Taygeto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Taygeto
Member since 2003 • 351 Posts
I think the sound is much more important than the graphics. A flashy looking game with crappy music gets on my nerves a lot faster than a game with dated graphics, but with breathtaking music. That and the storyline, of course...
ff7cloudking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26 ff7cloudking
Member since 2005 • 3161 Posts

The graphics don't affect my gameplay that much.

If the graphics are really good though, i'll probably take a couple minutes to admire them lolz. Which is something i do a lot of in Shadow of the Colossus.

GreatMno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GreatMno
Member since 2004 • 2601 Posts
Not in the slightest. Heck, I like playing the 2D games more than I do some of the 3D games. It is true that better graphics make it more fun to look at. I always enjoy watching my enemies get fried by a friendly Flare, Holy, or Ultima spell.
--MasterLink--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 --MasterLink--
Member since 2006 • 324 Posts
Graphics don't really matter. As long as you can tell what is happening.
Daxtermania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Daxtermania
Member since 2005 • 1576 Posts
Graphics aren't so important to me, as long as it has good gameplay, a good story, and good music
slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 slinky6
Member since 2004 • 8521 Posts

Graphics never matter more than gameplay for me and they never will.   Which is why I'm looking forward to the Wii.   There is only so much you can do with graphics but the possibilities for gameplay are endless.   Anyways I'm still looking forward to the PS3 because of Final Fantasy but that's pretty much it.

Crimson_Faith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 Crimson_Faith
Member since 2006 • 7194 Posts
No Graphics dont matter to me in a game, My basis on a game is its story and gameplay. the Emphisis on graphics is highly overraited, And basing a game on that emphisis is a mistake. So no graphics dont matter to me.
Avatar image for kenshinhimura16
kenshinhimura16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#32 kenshinhimura16
Member since 2005 • 7009 Posts
Graphics are never as important as a good story and gameplay. FFVIII, VII and the SNES ones will always be good games. Sometimes thinking too much in graphics kills the rest of the game.

Which FF Character Are You?

fatality013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 fatality013
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I think that the graphics should be good for the time that the game came out. But if the game is years old and you are just now playing it then you should be more focused on the story. When you look at FFVII at the time the game was released the graphics were revolutionary. That game set a new standard in gaming for everyone. But just graphics don't make a great game you also need a good storyline, good sound, and good gameplay.

In case some of you don't get what I m talking about I'll give you an example. Think of one of your favorite games that came out on the Playstation, N64, Dreamcast, or even further back. Remember when you first played that game you were thinking that it was the coolest game ever. That there wasn't a game out there that could top it. Now I want you to play that game now if you can't think about how it would feel to play that game now. For those of you who can play it now you will notice that the game is still fun and as additive as it was when you first played it. That's because when you played the game it was the best out there or the best that you had seen. You see if you don't play the game when it comes out you get used to the new age graphics and the old graphics become unable to satisfy you. So the game loses an edge that it had when it came out. The game is no longer able to get as many fans because it is old and outdated.

So for you few who are just now playing a game that is old but very popular you missed out on the a little piece of the reason the game was popular and still is. So now you need to keep in your head that the graphics were good for the time that the game came out but now you need to focus more on the story, sound, and gameplay to get you through the game.

Vincent188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Vincent188
Member since 2005 • 112 Posts
it's part of the package that makes a great RPG! =)
shag2sheeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 shag2sheeps
Member since 2004 • 282 Posts

I just started playing ff7 again and i still prefer it over any of the other games (except maybe ff8)

To me graphics don't matter at all it's all about the characters and for me ff7 has the most memorable characters of all the final fantasies (i haven't played 6 so maybe it's better)  And the death of one of the main characters(any ff fan should know who) just heightened my connection with the rest of the characters.  Also the music from ff7 is unsurpassed in any ff since.

greatfluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 greatfluffy
Member since 2005 • 2062 Posts
Not really it just matters how good the game is.:D
VGMusicFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 VGMusicFreak
Member since 2003 • 1760 Posts
As long as i can tell the difference between my characters and the enemies, the graphics are fine. A game might not look like the prettiest thing ever but can still be fun. Good example, just cause on pc looks way worse then the xbox 360 version but that doesnt make the pc version unplayable. Its still fun without the shadows and extra lighting they add in the 360 version.
cwhagen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 cwhagen
Member since 2006 • 37 Posts
For me personally, it does not effect my gameplay. I like to be challenged by a game, if the graphics suck, I work around it. People had fun on those graphically challenged games in the past, I too, can have that same fun, they weren't going for graphics, but fun. Unlike some games today which only go for graphics instead of playability.
manhunt1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 manhunt1001
Member since 2004 • 2431 Posts
The Graphics and the Gameplay are two completly different parts of the game. If your standards are always wanting to be to the standard of Next Gen Graphics then you wouldn't enjoy a game like FFVII which was realeased about 10 years ago. Still Graphics dont actually change how the game plays(except maybe such things like frame rate) so it shouldn't matter...it may not be the pretiest of the bunch but FFVII is still a revolutionary game for the series on so many levels(leap into 3D graphics, best selling FF game ever etc).
IpodHero176

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#40 IpodHero176
Member since 2006 • 16952 Posts
Yes, because if you can't see it clearly, then you're bound to have problems with it eventually.
psychomgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#41 psychomgs
Member since 2006 • 84 Posts
Graphics don't effect my experience of playing a game. What matters to me is the gameplay and the story. Final Fantasy VII did that but, this may sound strange the graphics amazed me too. I know their dated but when I'm playing a 'retro' game i put myself in the frame of mind of when it came out and FF7's graphics back then were trully amazing.
IpodHero176

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#42 IpodHero176
Member since 2006 • 16952 Posts

If I'm playing a PS1 FF, like VII, VIII, or IX, then yes since I play it on my PS2, but if I'm playing a Gameboy Advance game(or a DS one soon to be in my collection), then no it doesn't effect me.

ZhenDash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ZhenDash
Member since 2006 • 1483 Posts
Graphics only gives me a little influence on how to approach game but then again, it's the gameplay and the story is what I'm actually after.
larrysorice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 larrysorice
Member since 2004 • 37 Posts
No, if the game as an in depth story and it's fun to play then game play doesn't matter that much to me.  I guess that only applies to RPGs though.  For other games,  it really depends on what it brings to the genre.  For the most part I think this is an irrelevant question though  because with this New Generation of gaming, graphics won't even be an issue.  Other than the fact that Xbox makes everything shiny and glisten.

kronikaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 kronikaid
Member since 2003 • 992 Posts
People always seem to forget to say that graphics don't matter "to a point".... point is they do matter to an extent, but that extent is such that they don't matter to a point. If the visual didn't matter we'd still be swinging through the trees grunting while we played chess and picked the lice off each other as we read books on archaeological imperialism and crapped in holes.
IceDefenseGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#47 IceDefenseGod
Member since 2005 • 3842 Posts
No, graphics are BY FAR the least important category of a game.
CantBStoppd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 CantBStoppd
Member since 2004 • 122 Posts
i agree.. i always find my self goin back and playin the original final fantasy's and i never complain about the graphics
skyrocks93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 skyrocks93
Member since 2006 • 5045 Posts
not really unless the graphics are really good but if the graphics are so-so then it doesn't bother me. (I only own a Play Station and a Nintendo 64 so bad graphics don't bother me)
TPM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TPM1
Member since 2006 • 120 Posts
For me; no, because the story and gameplay means more to me e.g ff7 in still the best ff ever and to be honest the graphics arent that good thats why it dosnt matter to me if you can make something as fantastic as ff7 you dont need flashy grahics although they are always good to look at.