SkyCastleDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SkyCastleDan
Member since 2006 • 2015 Posts

While I'm suspecting that I will hold this opinion in minority, I truly believe that RPGs should reward those gamers who are willing to put forth a consistent effort mass leveling, mass statusing and exploring environments to their fullest, that is, talking to all the civilians, searching ever corner of the map for items, getting the most out of their RPG world experience. It wasn't until I really started playing Heroes of Might and Magic V that I started to think about how Square has lost this concept at times during the FF series, and more often than not lately.

Take Final Fantasy VIII for example, a good game overall but not one to reward those who are willing to put in massive amounts of hours attempting to obtain every ability offered by the Guardian Forces. Why? Because in the process of obtaining these abilities, and this is especially a problem early on, your characters will level up causing all of the enemies throughout the game to increase in difficulty anyways, thanks to a good idea gone bad by Square. Why would I put in 20 hours just with Squall trying my hardest to learn all of the junctions available to me in the training center you ask? Because I don't want to use just a GF for the majority of disc one to kill enemies, I want to attack darn it! But, for those of us willing to put forth such an effort, we don't ever recieve our just rewards in that game until limit breaks take over from GFs and prove to be just as repetitive.

FFX is probably the biggest culprut of refusing to reward those gamers willing to mass level. When I spend 20+ minutes to level up my characters, I do not appreciate only recieving +1 Magic Defense for my efforts darn it! I want increases to my attack, defense, magic, luck, etc....Really, until you get further in the game (like inside Sin far) there is really no chance whatsoever to take advantage of your consistent leveling efforts! Heck, I train 5 hours plus before fighting Seymour for the first time and all I'd get is a magic or two with Lulu, a skill or two with everybody else and maybe +3-5 of the majority of stats available to me! Do appreciate spending that time just to get that? NO! Especially when I come across an empty node early in the game with no creation sphere. Its a waste of my time!

But the biggest thing that Heroes V made me realize is that it really blows not having a world map anymore to walk around on. I loved taking the time of exploring every square inch of the world, especially in FFs VII and IX, to find secret dungeons, secret treasures (chocobo treasure hunt) and even secret characters (Yuffie). You'd think that with the greater capabilities of the PS2, Square would be able to keep and improve on the world map concept, but no, they get rid of it so you can instead find all of these by easily inputting a code or two or just randomingly moving a cursor around on a displayed map. Hip hip hurray! Fun times! In Heroes, every map (mission) has a whole world to be explored with subquests built in! Now thats what I call a reward for exploration!

I don't mean to write an essay here, but on the topic of exploration, I was really disapointed with all of the next gen FFs lack of secret items. Remember in FFIX how if you scaled every inch of the map you'd get an exclaimation mark here or there giving you a secret item or two? Well, Shadow Hearts: From the New World has the same concept built in it, why not FFs lately? In Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, an amazing game, if you take the time to scale every inch of the map, you get Bunny Statues that can either be sold for massive amounts of money, or kept as collector items. Even this simple kind of reward isn't given by any FF on the next gen systems darn it!

In conclusion: Square has allowed the idea of rewarding mass leveling and exploration suffer in the face of experimentation and better cinematic presentation. There just seems to be a little heart missing in Square's FFs lately, and the reason I am presenting here is, in my opinion, probably the biggest reason why. It kind of takes away from the whole concept of an RPG experience, don't you think?

-Pro-Link-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 -Pro-Link-
Member since 2006 • 6297 Posts
Well I don't know.  I would like it if they made the new FF's more like VII.  But in my opinion, it does take away from the experience.  I feel weird now that I realise this.  Thanks for giving me something to think about.
Bahamut50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 Bahamut50
Member since 2004 • 709 Posts
Although i quite agree that it was frustrating at the time, i never really minded it and i still felt rewarded no matter what the problems. i admit, its a big problem sometimes, but you can not say that it has made the game truly "bad", since it was so well made in almost every aspect.
Bahamut50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 Bahamut50
Member since 2004 • 709 Posts
by game, i really mean series :D
SkyCastleDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SkyCastleDan

I don't want this thread to get off track, so please ignore this unless you are the individual that I am directly targeting with this comment.

Not once in this thread have I called the series "bad". I am simply pointing out in what is my opinion a negative trend that is beginning to be revealed in the final fantasy series. Look no further than my comment about FFVIII being a good game to prove that this topic is not meant to bash a particular game or ther series at all. I am simply criticizing one aspect of the game that I really hope is fixed quite soon!

eztarg8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 eztarg8
Member since 2004 • 5813 Posts
I loved going around in FFIX in the mist not knowing where to go even though u still are guided by the mountains. If you just took time you could find some useful stuff before u could buy it at stores. It does get annoying in newer games that all you get is a ption when you complete a minigame or something useless when you put some time into it to get something. not only in the ff series but in kh i feel im not getting anything good at all. i heart maps
csimonma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 csimonma
Member since 2005 • 2820 Posts
I just wanted to point out that it is extremely easy too lvl. up in FFX because you know how when you lvl. up the amount of experience needed for the next lvl. up goes up, well it stops at 20,000 and in Omega Ruins......easy

anyway i just wanted to point that out

also yeah there does need to be more world maps, hopefully in FFXIII they make a HUGE one since it has the PS3's hardware.
Tater_O_Spud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Tater_O_Spud
Member since 2004 • 44 Posts
I agree with you to a point, there does need to be exploration, the fun of an RPG is exploring a massive world, crawling through dungeons, griding levels, the feel of an open ended game but knowing the story is there to get back to whenver you want and the wonder of what other treasures and secrets may be unlocked the farther you progress.

I loved the classic FF games (1-9) which got bigger and more expansive as you played through with more to discover and see. However some games make it feel forced, like you need to spend that time, find the stronger weapons, grind those levels and un-lock powers just to make the game fun and not hard.

FFVIII did do something right by giving you that choice, you could level up but the challenge would grown accordingly, you could also turn off random battles all together and fight monsters that would only level up your GF's and not you. Being able to customize your experience to your style was nice.

The main reason why I think square, and some others although squeenix is the most guilty, has strayed from the tradition is just that, it's tradition. They are worried the franchise is getting long in the tooth, and with people leaving and new blood comming in they bring in a new way to do things. Square has us hooked so now they can experiment knowing full well we won't stop playing but they hope to bring in gamers who have not been playing RPG's since they were 6.Of course at the same time they do alienate us as well, and we tend to gravitate towards the classics re-issued.

The question is, is this change our fault? I don't think so. Now it is true, we as gamers are more critical of what we play these days. That critical eye is what comes with time and experience, we're more savy than before. So it takes a lot more to please us, with that in mind it makes sense that RPG makers would want to try something different, especially since it looks to them like the turn based RPG is on the decline in favor of the action and mmo RPG. But i don't think it is in decline, at least not for a lack of desire. In fact it might be beacuse of extreme desire.

Face it we were spoiled, tons and tons of great RPG's over the last 20 years, it was their golden age. But if history has taught us anything all golden ages come to an end at some point. They just run out of good ideas and stick to what was successful in the past, putting enough spin on it to make it seem different. Of course we see that and ignore it.

Basically the RPG's we knew and loved....they have waxed and now are waining...however with time and paitence it will wax again.

ZippyDSMLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 ZippyDSMLee
Member since 2002 • 1924 Posts
How about makeing fun coherant games that are not whittled down by fustration(FF8),incoerant design(FF11) and just palin poorly thought out equipment (FFX)  all of the above = FFX2.....so help me if FF12 is not at least  desent game I give up and am not going to buy a game made past 03 or 01 untill I have palyed thru all the good older games....all games are these days are looks and no subtance......
VGMusicFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 VGMusicFreak
Member since 2003 • 1760 Posts
ok first of all, i dont understand at all how heroes 5 does what you are hoping for unless you are talking about the single player non-story missions.  I know the story missions are very linear and have very strict rules on what you can do and scripted enemies.  The single player campaigns may have a few little things to find but i dont see how that rewards you as the little artifacts that are hidden around are just randomly generated anyway when you start the level, at least usually. 

ok now i somewhat understand your argument about FFVIII although i never really noticed the enemy scaling while i played through that game and even grinded to lvl 99 because i thought it would be good.  I totally disagree about your statement with FFX though.  I never found the leveling in that game to be that slow, you just got to figure out how to level fast.  There is my favorite, the don tonberry trick where you get a bunch of monsters captured and then you get to fight don tonberry and after you beat him, with a ton of obscure skills that you can only get from items you can only steal or bribe from certain enemies, you can gain like 20 or 30 levels at once.  This gives you huge boost, enough to pretty much 1 hit most things with yuna's melee and the only downside is you run out of spheres and have to go fight for a while. 

Also, the ultimate weapons in FFX are deffinately set up to reward those who put in the time as they take some crazy amounts of time for some of the weapons *COUGH*lulu's*COUGH* and they give you awesome skills that make things a lot easier.  Now i realize, that in order to beat the regular game, most of this isnt required, but there are many super strong monsters you can unlock in the arena by capturing monsters that gives you something to strive for even if its not dark aeons that are only in the international version.  Even with all my crazy stats and levels i couldnt beat most of these. 

Im not really sure how FFXII will be set up but it seems to me that they will have large expanses of world similar to a MMORPG and each area have certain monsters that spawn, weak to strong, and hopefully some hidden items as well.  I know absolutely nothing as far as secret bosses or crazy hard stuff is concerned though.
SkyCastleDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SkyCastleDan

I just wanted to point out that it is extremely easy too lvl. up in FFX because you know how when you lvl. up the amount of experience needed for the next lvl. up goes up, well it stops at 20,000 and in Omega Ruins......easy

anyway i just wanted to point that out

also yeah there does need to be more world maps, hopefully in FFXIII they make a HUGE one since it has the PS3's hardware.
csimonma

If you read my topic, I am stating that fact, although I pretty much summed up the point in the game that you are talking about as "inside sin far". My biggest concern with FFX and the sphere grid is pretty much the leveling that takes place before hand. I know that near the end, mass leveling is easy in the omega ruins and inside sin, but it better have damn well been trying to beat the battle arena monsters and the dark aeons!

SkyCastleDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SkyCastleDan

ok first of all, i dont understand at all how heroes 5 does what you are hoping for unless you are talking about the single player non-story missions.  I know the story missions are very linear and have very strict rules on what you can do and scripted enemies.  The single player campaigns may have a few little things to find but i dont see how that rewards you as the little artifacts that are hidden around are just randomly generated anyway when you start the level, at least usually. 
VGMusicFreak

A couple of things to do? Um, try mission 4: The trap and see just how many things you can do! There are more battles, more items, more artifacts and more ground to cover by exploring the part of the map that has nothing to do with the actual missions themselves than the parts that do have to do with the missions! Seriously, I spent a lot of time on that mission and it sure in heck wasn't completing my goals or anything. Actually, now that I read this reply of yours, I doubt that you've even played the game competely. Some missions are strict yes, but for the most part, the missions are pretty open and the maps take a long time to fully explore. Not too mention that if you actually explore the maps, you get a lot of extra resource gathering installations and if anything, those just reward you with the ability to create a godly army to own all!

VGMusicFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 VGMusicFreak
Member since 2003 • 1760 Posts
yes you are right, i have not played the game completely.  I quit at around the second or third demon mission because it was way too F'n hard.  
jordina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#14 jordina
Member since 2006 • 5410 Posts
im doing an ff marathon. i have perfecticated ffi and ffii and im waiting for ffiva so i can perfecticate that too.
Avatar image for Sir-Dark-Raiden
Sir-Dark-Raiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 Sir-Dark-Raiden
Member since 2006 • 1040 Posts
  I really agree with most of you. The good days when we had played large universes like FF 1 to 9 was really great. At this moment i have most of all invested in my pc,
  Amd Athlon 3200+ socket 939, GA-K8NXP-SLI Zmotherboard, Nvidia 6600 Gt Dual Procesor, 1 Gb DDRam Geil and i think that is the most important in my pc. I have played hundreds of games, thousands maybe. I have an experience of 16 years, but until these days i haven'y found that much pleasure for any games like RPG.
   Every day i play at least a game, doesn't mather if it is new or old, but my oppinion is that the old, fun games, like the RPG's for playstation 1 are still the best. In the last year, i have tried to gather more games for playstation 1, Rpg, something to remind me the fun i had playing, not just simple , good looking graphics games like these ones that are overflowing the games industry in our times.
   Legend of Legaia, Legend of Dragoon, these are games that give us pleasure alongside with many other games and remind us about the great Final Fantasy Universe that we had until the FF IX. I don't say the Other FF's are bad, no, but they lost something , the little spark that brought us joy when standing in front of the TV or the Monitor.
    SkyCastleDan, said something about Front Mission, i have played and finished Front Mission 3 for 38 times, yeah, i know that probably some of you will think i'm nuts, but i really enjoyed that game. The TBS at that time weren't to evolved but they were great, in this category i can sinply put Vandal Hearts 2 Heavenly Gate or some others.
    What i am trying to say is that i think the old times were more pleasant then these days, the people that made a game by that time really would of put an effort for making a game for us to play and were careful at every little aspect, even if the graphics was to great for that time, but they gaved their best, but can you say this thing about today games or the people that work on them?

xVxObliVioNxVx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 xVxObliVioNxVx
Member since 2005 • 7764 Posts

In conclusion: Square has allowed the idea of rewarding mass leveling and exploration suffer in the face of experimentation and better cinematic presentation. There just seems to be a little heart missing in Square's FFs lately, and the reason I am presenting here is, in my opinion, probably the biggest reason why. It kind of takes away from the whole concept of an RPG experience, don't you think?

SkyCastleDan

To fully understand why these changes accure you have to know who is making the games. FFVI, FFVII, and FFIX allowed you to greatly explore the map because Sakaguchi (FF creator) was overlooking the project. For FFVIII, Kitase was overlooking much of the production. Kitase is a great developer, but FFVIII was rushed thus the reason the game was not balanced well. FFX was directed by three people. One was in charge of the battle system. One was in charge of the maps. And the third one (the most important one) was in charge of the directing the story events. These three are new directors to the series thus the reason FFX took a linear approach. FFXII is being developed by Matsuno so expect something along the lines of FFTactics, Vagrant Story, and a little mix of FFXI. Now if you liked the exploration in FFVII and FFIX, then I would strongly recommend you keep an eye out for Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey. Both are developed Hironobu Sakaguchi (FF creator).

SkyCastleDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SkyCastleDan

yes you are right, i have not played the game completely.  I quit at around the second or third demon mission because it was way too F'n hard.   VGMusicFreak

Haha, yeah, its freaking hard. But very, very fun IMO

jonathanseese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 jonathanseese
Member since 2006 • 53 Posts
I completely agree with the complaint of worry of where the final fantasy series is headed. I'm growing complacent with how games are so concerned with how cool it LOOKS, and not how involved you can get in a game.  You DON'T need frosting coated graphics to make a great RPG. Just please let's hope that square can understand what old school means.  Remember in the first couple of Final Fantasies how you would get really close to getting to a boss and you would get that exited, nervous, intense feeling?  I don't really get that anymore with Final Fantasy. Do You?
megamanzero32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 megamanzero32
Member since 2005 • 1234 Posts

I've noticed that every time I play a FF game I'm never scared of fighting even though I can kick their A$$ with my cool new sword. BUT when I play KH2 on expert mode argh I hate getting hit thats the only thing I get scared of because well some of the bosses are a pain at times

Avatar image for SpiritSephiroth
SpiritSephiroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SpiritSephiroth
Member since 2006 • 555 Posts

Remember in the first couple of Final Fantasies how you would get really close to getting to a boss and you would get that exited, nervous, intense feeling?  I don't really get that anymore with Final Fantasy. Do You?

What are you talking about? no exited, nervous, intense feeling of getting to a boss? I sure do. I remember the first time i was going to fight Seymour the second time in ffx. When he turned into that monster i said "no way! i have to fight him? COOL!!!" and then i had to run to him and it took like ten minutes because of all the soldiers appearing. For me i was exited, nervous and had an intense feeling. So i think the bosses still make us feel that way.

odin2019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 odin2019
Member since 2006 • 4677 Posts
yeah, not having a world map really sucks and I can't understand why square enix would change success?  Also, not having a world map takes a big part of the adventure away from me.  Adventure is big part of ff games success.
auronotf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 auronotf
Member since 2004 • 179 Posts
I understand where you are coming from with these points. I loved FFVII through to FFX (not as big a fan of FFX-2 and Crystal Chronicles doesnt deserve the title Final Fantasy).

FFX did seem to take a lot longer to gain power than the others, however this was not a big let down for me because I really enjoyed the battle system in the game. I agree with you more on the point about the world map, the world map in FFIX was so much fun to traverse on the chocobo and I thought it added a huge element to the game with its secret(albeit almost pointless) areas and hidden items. Perhaps the most fun part of the sidequests for me in FFIX was the chocobo raising/game; it was to me to play the chocobo hot and cold game instead of buying items and even more so when I got to a point where I was getting 8 items every time I played. I thought the inclusion of chocographs was ingenious on Square's part as it added an extra age to the gameplay hours which were fun to spend searching the world over for those extra items/cards that helped in the main story. I was extremely disappointed when I played FFX that there was no world map and that the chocobos had been confined to two small areas of the game with very little in the way of sidequests to do with them.

I disagree with your views on FFVIII. I think, unlike many people that it was one of the best in the series. personally I thought the story was excellent and the GF and limit break systems were top notch. I enjoyed the sidequests to obtain all of the extra GFs (even though my dad turned off the electric in my house when I was on the 19th tonberry without saving). I thought that the leveling of the enemies was done well and GFs could be used levelled efficiently without letting the enemies become too powerful.

I also think that there has been a decrease in the amount of extras/sidequests and secret items and areas in the recent Final Fantasy games and although I have not heard whehter FFXII has rectified this or not I hope it is rectified in FFXII and the FFXIIIs, when they eventually reach me in the UK.

255Loner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 255Loner
Member since 2005 • 1781 Posts
For Final Fantasy X's reward system, it's called "Mark of Conquest". Have you gotten it yet?
chuiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24 chuiv
Member since 2005 • 1141 Posts
i think it should go around FF7
SladeMcGowan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 SladeMcGowan
Member since 2004 • 76 Posts

What I wish happened is when you reach the highest level attainable, there would be a boss battle that would be obscenely difficult and would reward you with a really rare and cool item.  Or, maybe some armor or something that was a privelidged item for getting as strong as possible.  I'd like for there to be something that makes you feel that you accomplished something.

To me, if you spend hours and hours levelling up, getting stats maxed, exploring, etc. you should get at least SOMETHING for all your hard work other than beating the final boss rather easily.

Too long have I played RPG's that offer NO incentives!  I long to play an RPG that makes you feel like you actually did something and made a difference.

Cheers!

Jessica

sketchley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sketchley
Member since 2006 • 315 Posts
if u want big maps look no further! buy Elder scrolls 3 : Morrowind GOTY Edtion (game of the year) and put that map in FFXIII
Master_Odin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 Master_Odin
Member since 2005 • 4932 Posts
I liked the reward system for the monster arena pitting you against uber enemies if you captured all the monsters in a specific area or whatnot..
GMAN32X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GMAN32X
Member since 2004 • 1815 Posts

I happen to agree with Auronotf concerning FFVIII.  I enjoyed the fact that the enemies were never overly powerful or terribly weak so that you could not abuse the system (though you could make Squall a weakling while everyone else was a juggernaut, but what fun is that?) 

In FFX, try getting all of the special items necessary for the Ultimate Weapons without cheating.  Yeah, some are a cakewalk, but the whole quest takes some time.  I love the monster capture sidequest as well.  I'm  nowhere near being done with that.  Being able to mine rare items from a monster the old guy created is fun and useful in a pinch. Especially when you don't want to traverse an entire dungeon (cough:: Omega Ruins ::cough) to fight one enemy.

subzerodark01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 subzerodark01
Member since 2005 • 142 Posts
yeah i am gamer. they should reward us with game so mass difficult to beat it. u spend hour playing it and have lot challages 
LegendHunterX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LegendHunterX
Member since 2004 • 335 Posts
I disagree. I think that RPGs are better because of this. I mean in FFVIII, the reason that was implemented was to stop power gaming, to create a challenging experience throughout the whole game. I think that power leveling takes away from the concept of a struggle because you'd be just killing thinks left and right with a few simple presses of "X" or "O" depending upon your version/config/etc.

The reason behind is this: gamers who power level are forced into a rut of repetiveness, they skip the whole tactical aspect of the game, it becomes burried. First part of repetiveness is that you go around walking in a single area for the next 3 to four hours... The next few dungeon are breezed through with no lasting impact. The n followed by another four to five hours of training. Then another breeze of dungeons. See? Maitaining a challenge is a good thing, you get a nice slow burn effext

Power Levelling should not be rewarded.

Now your world map and exploration complaint. I kind of share that, I mean it helps promote a cohesive world which is very important. But I think sidequests are uitilized more nowadays as they help flesh out side stories, expet for just exploring around the map in hopes of gear. Anyways great discussion.
Kymori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Kymori
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

I've run into this one a time or two.  You play an RPG until the disc is damn near melted just to achieve every possible secret and then once you do you sorta feel unfulfilled.  What's even worse is that mass leveling can make bosses in Square RPGs seem too easy (well two exceptions, FFVII and FFIX where screwing around could get you killed quickly).  Item collection is nice but there just needs to be something more!  A very few games off the top of my head actually substantially reward you for mass leveling (basically by taking the frustration out of the games), which are:

-Parasite Eve (the EX game is actually beatable at very high levels)

-Star Ocean

-Xenogears

-both Musashi titles (they technically have levels)

-Front Mission 3

-Vagrant story

-Kingdom Hearts 1/2

Not too many FF titles substantially reward unless you consider rewards to be item collecting which virtually all FF titles are known for.  Maybe FF12 or 13 will prove different.

Highwind_VII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Highwind_VII
Member since 2004 • 115 Posts

I agree completely with skycastledan, I really have missed the world maps.  Why are the newer Final Fantasy games without it?  Every Final Fantasy before X had it and every game was successful.  This topic has been on my mind since I beat Final Fantasy X a few years ago.

Right now I'm hoping for a Final Fantasy VII remake.