NFL: Owners have shown widespread support for going to an 18-game schedule.

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5497448

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Mo money mo money mo money mo problems
Avatar image for Fuhgeddabouditt
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Fuhgeddabouditt
Member since 2010 • 5468 Posts
Mo money mo money mo money mo problemsX360PS3AMD05
 As for this news, I wouldnt mind an extra 2 games because it would rid of the 2 preseason and extend the roster for other players in case one gets hurt. This is my understanding of it from listening to Herm Edwards. The bad news is that most players will cry and figure because of an extension, they want more money added to their current contract.
dodgerblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dodgerblue13
Member since 2004 • 20846 Posts
That's not surprising. I'd be all for getting rid of two preseason games and keeping the schedule at 17 weeks.
-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 -Halftime-
Member since 2007 • 10004 Posts
Stupid.
Lostboy1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 Lostboy1224
Member since 2007 • 3425 Posts
I don't really like how the last two games are throw away games for teams that generally already have their top spot wrapped up so how is adding more games going to make it more interesting to watch? The gap is most likely going to get wider and there may be a team or two who need those extra games to get the last playoff spot. Sounds like a money grab for the richest league in US.
MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MoonMarvel
Member since 2008 • 8249 Posts
More bloated stats and contracts.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

As for this news, I wouldnt mind an extra 2 games because it would rid of the 2 preseason and extend the roster for other players in case one gets hurt. This is my understanding of it from listening to Herm Edwards. The bad news is that most players will cry and figure because of an extension, they want more money added to their current contract.Fuhgeddabouditt

I agree with this.

I don't really like how the last two games are throw away games for teams that generally already have their top spot wrapped up so how is adding more games going to make it more interesting to watch? The gap is most likely going to get wider and there may be a team or two who need those extra games to get the last playoff spot. Sounds like a money grab for the richest league in US.Lostboy1224

Those are all prblems that hvae solutions that are never enacted. The league could mandate contract stipulations for playing the whole season, or the teams could as well, but neither seems very willing to do so. Fan backlash could cause players to make the case for staying in, but that doesn't seem to be a problem with guys like Favre and Manning. They could do like the NHL does and use a points system so that teams who score more points get higher seeds, but that's not without its problems and again is something no one seems to be discussing.

The money grabbing is disgusting, though. One thing that might be beneficial is if they agreed to this, but only under the condition that there aren't any more blackouts for non-sold out games. Of course no one's going to agree to that as long as the NFL continues to be the most-watched sport in America. It's supply and demand, as long as we keep supporting the league they're going to keep blacking out games to sell more tickets because they can, which creates a sucky catch-22 for us.

scarecrowM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 scarecrowM
Member since 2010 • 1066 Posts

I dont really think this is the best idea at all.

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

scarecrowM

I think it's a terrible idea to be honest. It just bugs me that all the records become worthless (which is what happened when the league went from 14 to 16 games). There is nothing wrong with the setup now and Goodell wants to change it. I would love to see what owners of less-popular teams think of this. The Jaguars can't sell out 10 homes games per season and yet the league wants them to play another one? Ouch.

How about they just get rid of the 1 or 2 pre-season games and leave the regular season at 16?

monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#11 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts
Mixed feelings. On one hand, more football = awesome. And players get hurt in the pre season anyways, the games may as well mean something. On the other hand, old statistics won't mean anything, and it will just feel different.
SaintBlaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SaintBlaze
Member since 2007 • 7736 Posts

Mixed feelings. On one hand, more football = awesome. And players get hurt in the pre season anyways, the games may as well mean something. On the other hand, old statistics won't mean anything, and it will just feel different.monkeytoes61

Yeah I feel the exact same way.

CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#13 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts
NFL players should holdout. They need to get paid more if there's going to be an 18 game schedule.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50615 Posts
NFL players should holdout. They need to get paid more if there's going to be an 18 game schedule.CleanPlayer
I'm pretty sure they will. They have to. If not it should be a no go. Like said above, stats will be shattered and that's the real downer for me. That and I think it'll be harder to play in the NFL at an older age.
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Master_Live
This is horrible, not good at all.
csimonma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 csimonma
Member since 2005 • 2820 Posts
Just the rich trying to get even richer. An 18 game regular season is a terrible idea, it takes away from the importance of each game. Imagine starters sitting out of even more games just because there teams have clinched a playoff spot.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 theone86

[QUOTE="CleanPlayer"]NFL players should holdout. They need to get paid more if there's going to be an 18 game schedule.Chutebox
I'm pretty sure they will. They have to. If not it should be a no go. Like said above, stats will be shattered and that's the real downer for me. That and I think it'll be harder to play in the NFL at an older age.

Ummm...why? They're already among the highest-paid atheletes in the world, and really two games is not that much of a difference. If you think about it, many teams play their starters for probably a good six quarters during the preseason, that just means those quarters actually mean something now. If anything player incentive requirementsshould go up as it will be easier for them to reach landmarks.

Lostboy1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Lostboy1224
Member since 2007 • 3425 Posts
Mixed feelings. On one hand, more football = awesome. And players get hurt in the pre season anyways, the games may as well mean something. On the other hand, old statistics won't mean anything, and it will just feel different.monkeytoes61
yeah, like running backs rushing for over 2,000 yards in a season won't mean crap with the added games. Records will fall and fans will say it doesn't really count cause they had more games to do it in. NFL seems perfectly fine right now and they are making a ton of money so why try to fix something that isn't broke?
LTomlinson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 LTomlinson21
Member since 2004 • 24423 Posts
Bad idea. The first season will be all about "broken records" which I'm sure was annoying that last time the NFL schedule changed.
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Master_Live
[QUOTE="monkeytoes61"]Mixed feelings. On one hand, more football = awesome. And players get hurt in the pre season anyways, the games may as well mean something. On the other hand, old statistics won't mean anything, and it will just feel different.Lostboy1224
yeah, like running backs rushing for over 2,000 yards in a season won't mean crap with the added games. Records will fall and fans will say it doesn't really count cause they had more games to do it in. NFL seems perfectly fine right now and they are making a ton of money so why try to fix something that isn't broke?

"Greed, for a lack of a better word, is..."
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Chutebox  Online

[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="CleanPlayer"]NFL players should holdout. They need to get paid more if there's going to be an 18 game schedule.theone86

Ummm...why? They're already among the highest-paid atheletes in the world, and really two games is not that much of a difference. If you think about it, many teams play their starters for probably a good six quarters during the preseason, that just means those quarters actually mean something now. If anything player incentive requirementsshould go up as it will be easier for them to reach landmarks.

Because the owners are going to make more money. Why else would owners care about lengthening the season?
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#22 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts
That's the reason I oppose this. It is all to make more money, not to provide us fans more football. Watching weeks 18 and 19 will just make me feel all dirty inside.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="Chutebox"] I'm pretty sure they will. They have to. If not it should be a no go. Like said above, stats will be shattered and that's the real downer for me. That and I think it'll be harder to play in the NFL at an older age.Chutebox

Because the owners are going to make more money. Why else would owners care about lengthening the season?

I mean, they could pass a portion of the extra revenue on to the fans, stop the blackouts, lower ticket prices, reduce the number of commercials during games, perhaps get rid of one of the two breaks that sandwiches every kickoff. I know they would never do that, but still I can wish.

I do agree this is mostly about profiteering. I saw a video on NFL.com of an owner talking about 18 games being necessary for their profits in this economy, I wanted to punch the smug **** in the face.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Chutebox  Online

[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="theone86"]

theone86

I mean, they could pass a portion of the extra revenue on to the fans, stop the blackouts, lower ticket prices, reduce the number of commercials during games, perhaps get rid of one of the two breaks that sandwiches every kickoff. I know they would never do that, but still I can wish.

I do agree this is mostly about profiteering. I saw a video on NFL.com of an owner talking about 18 games being necessary for their profits in this economy, I wanted to punch the smug **** in the face.

Ya, that would be nice but we all know it won't happen lol.

And ya, that owner is full if **** . They make a ton of money as it is.

SaintBlaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SaintBlaze

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="Chutebox"] Because the owners are going to make more money. Why else would owners care about lengthening the season?Master_Live

Wow, someone is being naive.

"I know they would never do that, but still I can wish"

I guess you missed that part of his post.

DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DJ_Magneto
Member since 2008 • 4675 Posts
I thought Mike Golic made a good point about them losing two preseason games. There are a lot of fringe players that either make or don't make the team based on their performance in the preseason. Sometimes it comes down to the extra playing time that they get in that forth game when the starters basically sit that game out. With only two games, it may be more difficult to properly gauge the talent and get the work in for the starters. I'm sure they would adjust and the starters would get their work in, but you can't deny that a lot of fringe players may lose that opportunity to prove that they can be a productive NFL player.
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Master_Live

[QUOTE="Master_Live"][QUOTE="theone86"]

SaintBlaze

Wow, someone is being naive.

Yeah, that happens sometimes, my bad. But Saint, are following me? Here:

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27415543

Take some time and defend your Bricks, I guess you missed that thread in specific.

SaintBlaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SaintBlaze

[QUOTE="SaintBlaze"]

[QUOTE="Master_Live"] Wow, someone is being naive. Master_Live

Yeah, that happens sometimes, my bad. But Saint, are following me? Here:

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27415543

Take some time and defend your Bricks, I guess you missed that thread in specific.

I wasn't online for about a week and a half. Missed that thread. Happy he isn't coming back. Althought it wasn't the Knicks stupidity, it was James Dolan. Get it right next time.

Also: I don't want to derail this thread with anymore discussion on this so just PM me if you feel the need to respond to this post.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 theone86

I thought Mike Golic made a good point about them losing two preseason games. There are a lot of fringe players that either make or don't make the team based on their performance in the preseason. Sometimes it comes down to the extra playing time that they get in that forth game when the starters basically sit that game out. With only two games, it may be more difficult to properly gauge the talent and get the work in for the starters. I'm sure they would adjust and the starters would get their work in, but you can't deny that a lot of fringe players may lose that opportunity to prove that they can be a productive NFL player.DJ_Magneto

I was thinking about this. I think what might be a good idea is go to 18 games, but leave the projected starters completely out of it. Keep the same roster limits, only mandate 22 fewer players in the preseason. Of course then you can't guage new talent against entrenched NFL starters.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Chutebox  Online

I was watching ESPN at the gym and they said the owners are shooting for 2012 to be the season to impliment this.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
I think this is a terrible idea because it leads to increased risk of injury for players. And I don't really mind four games in preseason any way.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

I think this is a terrible idea because it leads to increased risk of injury for players. And I don't really mind four games in preseason any way.The-Apostle

Nope, it wont

Also when the schedule went from 14 to 16 games there were 6 preseason games and they cut that by 2 and added 2 games to the regular season.

There were adjustments made to the pay scale for the players working more and there was no significant rise in injuries

If adopted the same thing will happen here.

Anyone who has a problem with this has hated all football past 1959

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

[QUOTE="The-Apostle"]I think this is a terrible idea because it leads to increased risk of injury for players. And I don't really mind four games in preseason any way.Jaysonguy

Nope, it wont

Also when the schedule went from 14 to 16 games there were 6 preseason games and they cut that by 2 and added 2 games to the regular season.

There were adjustments made to the pay scale for the players working more and there was no significant rise in injuries

The great thing about football is that every single game counts. The more you add the more you devalue this aspect of the sport. There is NO reason to change the system right now. Just because it has changed in the past does not mean that this is ok. At what point does the season become too long? When do we start seeing players get worn out and playing at a lower level? When do we start seeing players sitting for 2 or 3 games in a row at the end of the season because their team clinched the playoffs weeks ago? I am sure fans will love that.

If Ray Lewis thinks 18 is too much, than so do I. You tell them Lewis!

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 The-Apostle
[QUOTE="Ray Lewis"]After three or four months (of a season), your body feels a certain way. I don't care what type of shape you're in, don't care what you try to do treatment-wise. You have to ask yourself, how many people would be truly healthy after 18 games? Are you going to get real football? I think if the fans understood what we go through to be able to play in December and January, a lot more would fight with us. I don't think it's knowledgeable to make us play 18 games.

See? He agrees with me. Edited for context and taken from the link provided by a previous poster.
CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#37 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts
Adding two games to the schedule will have to expand the NFL rosters too because of the increase risk injury. But in all honesty, the games lose significance if it's 18, like if a team is in the playoffs...i don't wanna see them rest all their starters and play their backups for 3 or more weeks or so. Carson Palmer said it best.
Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts

Its like the mo money we come across, the more problems we see.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 theone86

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="The-Apostle"]I think this is a terrible idea because it leads to increased risk of injury for players. And I don't really mind four games in preseason any way.limpbizkit818

Nope, it wont

The great thing about football is that every single game counts. The more you add the more you devalue this aspect of the sport. There is NO reason to change the system right now. Just because it has changed in the past does not mean that this is ok. At what point does the season become too long? When do we start seeing players get worn out and playing at a lower level? When do we start seeing players sitting for 2 or 3 games in a row at the end of the season because their team clinched the playoffs weeks ago? I am sure fans will love that.

If Ray Lewis thinks 18 is too much, than so do I. You tell them Lewis!

Yeah, I think resting starters is one of the biggest problems with this. A way to get around that would be to seed playoff teams by points, teams like the Colts might think twice about putting Curtis Painter in if it means losing their bye week in the playoffs.

M_1_A_M_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 M_1_A_M_I
Member since 2010 • 938 Posts
[QUOTE="limpbizkit818"]

[QUOTE="scarecrowM"]

I think it's a terrible idea to be honest. It just bugs me that all the records become worthless (which is what happened when the league went from 14 to 16 games). There is nothing wrong with the setup now and Goodell wants to change it. I would love to see what owners of less-popular teams think of this. The Jaguars can't sell out 10 homes games per season and yet the league wants them to play another one? Ouch.

How about they just get rid of the 1 or 2 pre-season games and leave the regular season at 16?

This ^^ . If it happens records won't mean anything, each game means a little less, teams like the Colts will just have two more meaningless games, there will be more injuries, and the loss of two preseason games makes it harder to evalute players trying to make the roster. IMO it's a terrible idea.
M_1_A_M_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 M_1_A_M_I
Member since 2010 • 938 Posts

[QUOTE="The-Apostle"]I think this is a terrible idea because it leads to increased risk of injury for players. And I don't really mind four games in preseason any way.Jaysonguy

Nope, it wont

Lol this comment is funny. The 14 - 16 regular season change happened in 1978 not 1959. And just because some doesn't like the idea doesn't mean they happen football man.
QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

I really think this needs to be filed in the "Don't" drawer. 18 games? Are the owners hurting for money that bad?

flowersjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 flowersjf
Member since 2008 • 2856 Posts
That's the reason I oppose this. It is all to make more money, not to provide us fans more football. Watching weeks 18 and 19 will just make me feel all dirty inside.monkeytoes61
It kills the tradition too, it should always be 16 games a season. I have a bad feeling about this...
The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 The-Apostle
[QUOTE="monkeytoes61"]That's the reason I oppose this. It is all to make more money, not to provide us fans more football. Watching weeks 18 and 19 will just make me feel all dirty inside.flowersjf
It kills the tradition too, it should always be 16 games a season. I have a bad feeling about this...

Yeah, I think if they go through with this we should all boycott the last two games. :D
CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

I prefer the schedule to stay 16 games.

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

If we do get a 18 game season, rosters had better be expanded to 80. Can you imagine how much shorter the lifespan of a starting running back would be?

RahXephon101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 RahXephon101
Member since 2005 • 501 Posts

stupid idea, but it will generate more money, which is all the owners really care for...

I don't watch much pre-season, but i still think its more importsnt than people give it credit, its a chance for late draft picks tomake a roster. With only two games the majority of pre-season play will have to go to the starters to make sure their intune for the season, thus making it more difficult for coaches to judge talent on their roster.

mark this NFL season, if we go to an 18 game format, a decade later we'll look back on the 16 game season as a golden age of football.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Interesting post on yardbarker dsandgnat 7:11 pm on September 1st, 2010 The CFL (Canadian Football League) plays an 18-game schedule with 2 pre-season games. And all their teams, except Toronto, play outside on artificial turf. Plus, they play on a longer and wider field, and they have only 37 players per team. Their championship game, except when played in Toronto or Vancouver, is played on a cold day with the possibility of snow and ice, not like our cushy Super Bowl in a warm climate. With all that said, these guys get less than half of what our crybabies in the NFL get. I would rather watch a CFL game any day then listen to the whinny thugs of the NFL.
Avatar image for Darth_Revan_666
Darth_Revan_666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Darth_Revan_666
Member since 2005 • 2801 Posts

Interesting post on yardbarker dsandgnat 7:11 pm on September 1st, 2010 The CFL (Canadian Football League) plays an 18-game schedule with 2 pre-season games. And all their teams, except Toronto, play outside on artificial turf. Plus, they play on a longer and wider field, and they have only 37 players per team. Their championship game, except when played in Toronto or Vancouver, is played on a cold day with the possibility of snow and ice, not like our cushy Super Bowl in a warm climate. With all that said, these guys get less than half of what our crybabies in the NFL get. I would rather watch a CFL game any day then listen to the whinny thugs of the NFL.X360PS3AMD05

WTF the CFL is as soft of a pro football league can get. Big hits rarely ever happens in a CFL game, because the players are smaller and on a larger field.