Most Sports Athletes = Greedy, Selfish, and self centered

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nygiants1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 nygiants1080
Member since 2004 • 9413 Posts

Me and a friend of mine started talking about how the recent signing of Nate Clements (signed with the 49ers for 80 million dollars) was too much. It got us talking and basically lead to the fact that most people that play in professional sports get paid too much for what they do. This goes for many other jobs but im focusing on sports. Anyway to get paid 10 million dollars a year for entertainment is too much. Then the players get hold outs and such because they arn't getting paid enough. Sports arn't suppose to be about money or fame it is about the game and the fans. Without the fans there would be no NFL or MLB. Without the fans you wouldn't get that money. A perfect example of players that arn't selfish are the players in the AFL. They get paid resonably, not really household names or noticed and have they ever gone on strike? No, because they do it for the love of the game. AFL players get paid less to play more. Anyway in conclusion most sports athletes forget that when they were kids they didn't play for money, they played because they loved the game and in translation that got lost along the lines.

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
So they should work for less? And the owners should make all that money off of their work? I certainly think some of what you say is true in some ways, but in a society with a free market some of it is also totally ridiculous. This is not an economy that pays people based on their value to society. Heck you and I watching football is what gets these guys paid a ton. Make no mistake those AFL guys would rake in the bucks and some would hold out if they could as well.
nygiants1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 nygiants1080

So they should work for less? And the owners should make all that money off of their work? I certainly think some of what you say is true in some ways, but in a society with a free market some of it is also totally ridiculous. This is not an economy that pays people based on their value to society. Heck you and I watching football is what gets these guys paid a ton. Make no mistake those AFL guys would rake in the bucks and some would hold out if they could as well. duxup

The thing is, the sports player forget that. Not that i have a huge problem with them getting paid so much but it seems they care more about money than the game. That is what bugs me the most. Also I agree with the AFL thing, guess I didn't think that through completely :P

Spedmunds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Spedmunds
Member since 2005 • 157 Posts

Me and a friend of mine started talking about how the recent signing of Nate Clements (signed with the 49ers for 80 million dollars) was too much. It got us talking and basically lead to the fact that most people that play in professional sports get paid too much for what they do. This goes for many other jobs but im focusing on sports. Anyway to get paid 10 million dollars a year for entertainment is too much. Then the players get hold outs and such because they arn't getting paid enough. Sports arn't suppose to be about money or fame it is about the game and the fans. Without the fans there would be no NFL or MLB. Without the fans you wouldn't get that money. A perfect example of players that arn't selfish are the players in the AFL. They get paid resonably, not really household names or noticed and have they ever gone on strike? No, because they do it for the love of the game. AFL players get paid less to play more. Anyway in conclusion most sports athletes forget that when they were kids they didn't play for money, they played because they loved the game and in translation that got lost along the lines.

nygiants1080

Every sport is overpayed, don't you think that some other people deserve the money more than Professional Sports players. Like the solders in Iraq, they are risking their lives every day for our freedom, and still you get A-Rod making 200 mill, Clements making 80 mill and Beckham making around 20 mill(ish). I mean i understand why they do it i just don't think its right. Sports Owners waste their money, i mean, honestly what would you do if you made around a million dollars a day? sure first it would be fun but then it would get boring (or so i think). I just think sports need a good ol kick in the cherries to wake up and stop overpaying their players. 

pundog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 pundog
Member since 2006 • 4491 Posts

nygiants1080
Problem is the other option is to go back to the 50''s-early 70's era NHL (not sure about other sports) style where the players make little or no money and have to work at least 1 other job to provide for their families.
nygiants1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nygiants1080
Problem is the other option is to go back to the 50''s-early 70's era NHL (not sure about other sports) style where the players make little or no money and have to work at least 1 other job to provide for their families. pundog
Or just pay them not 10 million dollars a year.
r3n4ud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 r3n4ud
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
I agree that there are athletes who could care less for the fans. However, there are athletes who do care for the fans and their communities. Sure there aren't many, but their is some!

Lets face it, pro athletes get paid boatloads to play... a kid's game.
whet40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 whet40
Member since 2006 • 318 Posts
i don't think that it is overpaying them when the franchise will make that money back easily.  not even the worst teams in the league are strapped for cash.  these guys have jobs that they do very well and in turn, they are paid handily for it.
nygiants1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nygiants1080
I agree that there are athletes who could care less for the fans. However, there are athletes who do care for the fans and their communities. Sure there aren't many, but their is some!

Lets face it, pro athletes get paid boatloads to play... a kid's game.
r3n4ud
That is why I said most athletes.
nygiants1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nygiants1080
i don't think that it is overpaying them when the franchise will make that money back easily.  not even the worst teams in the league are strapped for cash.  these guys have jobs that they do very well and in turn, they are paid handily for it.whet40
My dad does his job well too and he doesn't get paid 5 million a year.
VERS1ON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 VERS1ON
Member since 2003 • 1188 Posts
[QUOTE="pundog"]Problem is the other option is to go back to the 50''s-early 70's era NHL (not sure about other sports) style where the players make little or no money and have to work at least 1 other job to provide for their families. nygiants1080

Tell the team front office not to pay them so much. Each contract is a mutual agreement between both sides. By the way, other players are getting more than Clements, his is only a landmark deal because he's the first defensive player to make $10 million/year. It's the willingness of the teams to agree to the players' demands. It's back and forth between the players and teams. You can't put this entirely on the players. Obviously, the teams hold an equal value for Clements as he holds for himself. It's easy to complain about this because a large percentage of people don't work in an environment where we can name our own prices. A free market job such as professional sports allows the players to get WHAT THEY BELIEVE they themselves are worth. Do I believe Nate Clements deserves to get paid more than Champ Bailey? No. But the market allows that.
whet40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 whet40
Member since 2006 • 318 Posts
does your dad bring in 70,000 people each paying hundreds for tickets, concessions, merchandise etc. every sunday for half a year?
zeldafan00013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 zeldafan00013
Member since 2004 • 6575 Posts
Most People in general = Greedy, Selfish, etc.
nygiants1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nygiants1080
does your dad bring in 70,000 people each paying hundreds for tickets, concessions, merchandise etc. every sunday for half a year?whet40
I said my dad does good at this job, not being a sports owner.
SilverArmor82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SilverArmor82
Member since 2005 • 1609 Posts
Well, don't blame the athletes, they are just a product of our individualistic/capitalistic American society.
SilverArmor82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SilverArmor82
Member since 2005 • 1609 Posts
Most People in general = Greedy, Selfish, etc. zeldafan00013
You are so very right.
Avatar image for grudensjockstra
grudensjockstra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 grudensjockstra
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
also this coming from a disabled 23 yr old whos been at his moms house for the last 2 years, athletes, mostly nfl and nba, put major stress on their body.. look at jerome bettis. there would be more guys who could barely walk, if they didnt have the money to get healed.. sorry gotta go, but im sure you get the point.. they all will have to deal with pain for the rest of their lives.. 
cLAssic_BLUE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 cLAssic_BLUE
Member since 2007 • 599 Posts

I used to think they got payed to much but realized,pro athletes are the best in the world at what they do. I know Nate Clements gets paid 10 mil for a 16 game season but what nobody sees, is him training year round, so he can be as good as he is. What im trying to say is that no matter how greedy,selfish, and self centered some athletes are ,they somewhat deserve it.

cLAssic_BLUE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 cLAssic_BLUE
Member since 2007 • 599 Posts
one more thing. How many people in the world can hit like Pujols, score like Kobe, throw like Manning or pitch like Santana.
Spedmunds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Spedmunds
Member since 2005 • 157 Posts

one more thing. How many people in the world can hit like Pujols, score like Kobe, throw like Manning or pitch like Santana.cLAssic_BLUE

How many people in the world deserve money more than athletes do? Because there are more important things in the world going on and more dangerous things too.

nygiants1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nygiants1080

I used to think they got payed to much but realized,pro athletes are the best in the world at what they do. I know Nate Clements gets paid 10 mil for a 16 game season but what nobody sees, is him training year round, so he can be as good as he is. What im trying to say is that no matter how greedy,selfish, and self centered some athletes are ,they somewhat deserve it.

cLAssic_BLUE
No one sees what the soilders in Iraqi do or what the LAPD does. What do they get? Not even one million a year and they are risking there lives for others that they don't even know.
Ngamer05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ngamer05
Member since 2003 • 11577 Posts
[QUOTE="cLAssic_BLUE"]

nygiants1080

No one sees what the soilders in Iraqi do or what the LAPD does. What do they get? Not even one million a year and they are risking there lives for others that they don't even know.

America's preference:

Entertainment>Security and Protection

chestnutz6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 chestnutz6
Member since 2006 • 1702 Posts

one more thing. How many people in the world can hit like Pujols, score like Kobe, throw like Manning or pitch like Santana.cLAssic_BLUE

Not many people but is that a necessity in life to have? No, it's just an added bonus for being blessed with those skills.

TC I agree with you completely. My friend and I talk about this sometimes, and both of his parents are doctors. Doctors get paid probably in the 10,000s range (correct me if I"m mistaken I'm not a doctor) to basically save our lives. Thats a necessity. Watching a guy like Tyrus Thomas dunk for 10 grand, not getting any enjoyment out of pleasing the fans, is useless. It entertains us, oh that's great. It'll just make us wish that we could do th ethings they could, when I bet most people in the army, police, doctors, firemen, even some business man who does what he can to feed his family, get enjoyment of what they do. To me getting paid millions of dollars for hitting a golf ball or throwing a football 50 yards is just stupid. Well I guess the owners have to do something with their money.

That's why my favorite players are character guys. Not people like TO who ruin his team because he doesnt get 17 passes thrown his way (one of which he'll drop, which is absurd considering he's getting paid all that money), but people who do something for the fans. Gilbert Arenas is a true athlete. After every game he throws out tens of jerseys to the fans, regardless of whether it's home or away; he offered to lower his contract so that the team could get more free agents to help the team. Donovan McNabb, a guy who gives back to his community. This is what an athlete should be like

SrLynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SrLynx
Member since 2005 • 376 Posts

[QUOTE="nygiants1080"][QUOTE="pundog"]Problem is the other option is to go back to the 50''s-early 70's era NHL (not sure about other sports) style where the players make little or no money and have to work at least 1 other job to provide for their families. VERS1ON

Tell the team front office not to pay them so much. Each contract is a mutual agreement between both sides. By the way, other players are getting more than Clements, his is only a landmark deal because he's the first defensive player to make $10 million/year. It's the willingness of the teams to agree to the players' demands. It's back and forth between the players and teams. You can't put this entirely on the players. Obviously, the teams hold an equal value for Clements as he holds for himself. It's easy to complain about this because a large percentage of people don't work in an environment where we can name our own prices. A free market job such as professional sports allows the players to get WHAT THEY BELIEVE they themselves are worth. Do I believe Nate Clements deserves to get paid more than Champ Bailey? No. But the market allows that.

Oh really! Care to elaborate more on that? Nate Clements = complete (physical) CB where as Champ Bailey = Cover Corner. In the NFL teams prefer a physical CBs.

nygiants1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 nygiants1080
Oh really! Care to elaborate more on that? Nate Clements = complete (physical) CB where as Champ Bailey = Cover Corner. In the NFL teams prefer a physical CBs.SrLynx
Really? Because I guarntee that almost all NFL teams would rather have Bailey than Clements...
cametall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 cametall
Member since 2003 • 7692 Posts
In life the person you should be looking out for is yourself first and foremost. These sports stars are no different. Besides, they probably don't have to pay that full amount, most of it is probably at the end of the contract.
pundog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 pundog
Its basic economics, if there were only, say, 500 doctors in the world (about the same number of players in the NHL or NBA) I bet they'd be making way more than $10 million a year.
nygiants1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 nygiants1080
Its basic economics, if there were only, say, 500 doctors in the world (about the same number of players in the NHL or NBA) I bet they'd be making way more than $10 million a year.pundog
You don't need sport athletes. You need doctors.
pundog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 pundog
[QUOTE="pundog"]Its basic economics, if there were only, say, 500 doctors in the world (about the same number of players in the NHL or NBA) I bet they'd be making way more than $10 million a year.nygiants1080
You don't need sport athletes. You need doctors.

Tell that to the owners who make millions off of their teams. There are a ton of other overpaid jobs too, it's all supply and demand.
SrLynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SrLynx
Member since 2005 • 376 Posts
[QUOTE="SrLynx"] Oh really! Care to elaborate more on that? Nate Clements = complete (physical) CB where as Champ Bailey = Cover Corner. In the NFL teams prefer a physical CBs.nygiants1080
Really? Because I guarntee that almost all NFL teams would rather have Bailey than Clements...

Sure they would! You keep telling your self that.