Give me one valid reason why the spurs are "boring"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 0

#1 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

The Spurs are the best team in the league.  People often criticize them for being "boring" but never give a valid justification for it.  And saying "they win too much" is not valid, I don't recall anyone saying this this about the lakers or bulls during their dynasty runs.  Give me a valid reason, because I have yet to hear one.

TrickyNicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 TrickyNicky
Member since 2002 • 2501 Posts

Honestly, it all stems from Tim Duncan.  The Spurs best player is very yawn-inducing because usually, he is just a fundamentally great PF.  He doesn't act like a diva, he doesn't crack stupid jokes/insult other players like shaq, and he isn't a flashy power dunker, or a dirty player, despite what the Suns seem to think.  Make no mistake, he is the best PF in the game, just a boring "superstar." 

That goes for the whole Spurs team, they play the best fundamental basketball in the entire NBA.  What a shocker that they are a perennial contender.  Other teams should copy them, imo. 

Nene33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Nene33
Member since 2007 • 7870 Posts

I don't think they are boring, I think the problem is, most people don't necessarily love basketball, they like superstars showing of like they're with the Harlem Globetrotters, the Spurs are a supersolid team, with a couple of the greatest players at their position(TP, Manu and TD), but then again I love basketball, and I like the Spurs(eventhough they didn't look that good this year).

2nd, I think it's also because they keep on comming up just one step short of forcing their dynasty in the league, they seem to pick up a championship in between upcomming dynasties.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#4 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

Has anyone ever seen Lebron in an interview? I don't see him making quoteable quotes in interviews and yet he's somehow more exciting?  Also, duncan displays the best footwork ever seen by a big man in league history, and yet that's somehow boring.  And this is all aside the fact that they have 2 of the most exciting penetrators in the league today.  How are they boring?

viberooni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 viberooni
Member since 2003 • 1396 Posts

I love watching the Spurs play, it's great basketball. But there are valid reasons they're considered boring by some, and many casual fans.

They're not a very athletic team, aside from Tony Parker who is quick but you're never going to get many moments out of them that make you jump out of your seat. They're an older, veteran team so we've all seen what they can do as fans, there's no young guys that have yet to reach their potential playing big minutes. They are very methodical in setting up plays and they like to force a slow, grinding pace which usually results in games that score in the 80-90 range.

Tim Duncan, probably the greatest power forward ever, has one of the least exciting and interesting games of any great player I can remember - he just does almost everything right, except for the occasional brainfart at the free throw line. Also they are a strong defensive team so they often make opponents look sloppy. They have a few players who flop and complain, but that's tough to hold against them as nearly every NBA team has at least one relentless flopper. Lastly, many fans just don't find great defense as entertaining as great offense, and while the Spurs can put points on the board with ease they're by no means a team built around an exciting offense.

I don't believe these things make them boring per se. The Spurs are a great team, the greatest in the past 10 years and that alone should make them must watch TV whenever they're on. But even the most die hard San Antonio fan must know it's not exactly Showtime out there when the Spurs are at their best and there's some merit to the label they've gotten over the years.

chatri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 chatri10
Member since 2002 • 752 Posts

Has anyone ever seen Lebron in an interview? I don't see him making quoteable quotes in interviews and yet he's somehow more exciting? Also, duncan displays the best footwork ever seen by a big man in league history, and yet that's somehow boring. And this is all aside the fact that they have 2 of the most exciting penetrators in the league today. How are they boring?

UT_Wrestler

Spurs is a great fundamental team. They play the game the right way, but not exciting and Tim Duncan have no personality and show little emotion. You can see Lebron personality in his some what funny commercial and he's very marketable superstar. Lebron make flashy plays and have many moves going to the basket and unpredictable if he's going to pass or dunk or shoot. Everytime Duncan gets the ball, we all know what he's going to do with it and very predictable which make it less exciting. People like to watch flashy play and exiting superstar in the NBA. 

viberooni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 viberooni

Has anyone ever seen Lebron in an interview? I don't see him making quoteable quotes in interviews and yet he's somehow more exciting? Also, duncan displays the best footwork ever seen by a big man in league history, and yet that's somehow boring. And this is all aside the fact that they have 2 of the most exciting penetrators in the league today. How are they boring?

UT_Wrestler

Kevin McHale and Karl Malone had just as good, if not better footwork in the paint than Tim Duncan (who I still believe is a better all around player than both of them). You're reaching with two of the most exciting penetrators in the leauge, Parker is up there though. And it's not the quotes or controversy that makes players exciting, it's all about the game.

adamf_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 adamf_17
Member since 2005 • 238 Posts
Maybe it's the color of their uniforms (just kidding).  I personally think they're boring because they have an older team.  Horry isn't what he used to be, neither is Finley, or Barry. or most of them.  Their constant is their big 3.  As for Duncan, I suppose I don't care for him because he shows no emotion.  Basketball is an emotional game, so it's a weird thing to see when a guy is just stonefaced for an entire game.  No reaction is boring.  I'm not saying that he has to turn into Rasheed, but he could at least act huiman every once in a while (humans have been known to show a wide range of emotions).  More than all of this, their flopping gets me.  Ginobili is the worst flopper in the NBA.  Oberto flops too.  Bowen is allowed to get away with murder most of the time.  I guess they flop so much as a team because they are older and can't move their feet defensively.  They could just use an infusion of young talent (I've heard Spurs fans on these very boards say the same thing).  Winning titles isn't necessarily exciting (unless you're a fan of theirs).  Fun to watch basketball is.
nivet14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 nivet14
Member since 2006 • 5329 Posts
They are very boring IMO. I always know what they are about to do in a game. They get the job done, but it is just not explosive and entertaining to watch. Go Cavs!!!!!
tharg617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tharg617
Member since 2004 • 1157 Posts
People find them boring because they are the true definition of a team. They don't need one person to carry everybody, they don't have their star players involved in any media frenze, and they don't have a lot of selfish players. So I really hope they win this title, they deserve it.
mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 mazing87
Member since 2004 • 3881 Posts

They are the most fundamental team of all time.  Fundamental meaning doing the basic, sound, high percentage play that often works.  Fundamental basketball doesn't require finesse, personality, athleticism, or intensity. 

Tim Duncan doesn't have a personality.  He has great footwork, great low post ability, hits his bankshot off the backboard, play some defense, wash, rinse, repeat.  I can't remember ever seeing Tim Duncan dunk a basketball with intensity.  There's no emotion.  AI, LeBron, JR, McGrady, and Vince Carter all play with intensity, they each have a personality.  It's more exciting to watch them play than any of the Spurs.  At one point, Michael Finley was somewhat exciting to watch.  He's not the same in his diminished role on the Spurs. 

viberooni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 viberooni

People find them boring because they are the true definition of a team. They don't need one person to carry everybody, they don't have their star players involved in any media frenze, and they don't have a lot of selfish players. So I really hope they win this title, they deserve it. tharg617

Do you really believe people turn off from the Spurs because they are a true team? That's ridiculous, no one thinks that and no one is saying as much here. The Suns are just as much of a true team as the Spurs are, does anyone hate on them because of it?

The '04 Pistons are a better example of the definition of team basketball IMO anyway, a talented group but not exceedingly so that complimented each other perfectly and became greater for it. The Spurs, while unselfish, fundamentally sound and consistently excellent, wouldn't survive without Tim Duncan who holds everything together. The guy isn't considered one of the greatest ever for nothing, he is without a doubt the key to their continued success. Just because he can pass out of a double team and isn't marketed like a superstar doesn't make him any less of one.

murlow12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 murlow12
Member since 2005 • 11109 Posts
They aren't boring, they are one of the few teams left that actually play fundamental basketball.  Our generation doesn't know anything but flashy dunks and alley-oops, so we think fundamentals are boring.  It's called ignorance, if you ask me.
Knowledge33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Knowledge33
Member since 2007 • 841 Posts

They aren't boring, they are one of the few teams left that actually play fundamental basketball. Our generation doesn't know anything but flashy dunks and alley-oops, so we think fundamentals are boring. It's called ignorance, if you ask me.murlow12

Thank you. I am from the 80s and 90s and you are right. Young people these days have such low attention spans that only ESPN highlights/Top 10 plays are the only things that hold their attention. That's why the NBA has gotten worse since the 90s because of the lack of fundamentals. 

adamf_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 adamf_17
I'll give you THE reason that the Spurs are boring.  Earlier today I was watching the NBA finals media availability on NBA TV and Ginobili called the Spurs the "vanilla" of the NBA (meaning plain, boring).  If one of their own guys says it, it must be true.
yrag31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 yrag31
Member since 2004 • 1478 Posts

cause they aren't flashy and players don't have enough athleticism but still winning games everyone hates winners, America is behind Cavs all the way cause they want LeBron's flashier moves like dunking the ball over Duncan or some fancy assist by James rather than the Spurs fundamental basketball...

for me i don't see Spurs boring i like their style of play Defense first team, move and share the ball no selfish players there it's all about winning and team play... :P

Go Spurs Go!!!

yellbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 yellbell
Member since 2006 • 694 Posts
I don't think there boring I think Timmy is boring but I like to see Tony Drive into the lane he does it so easily.
Innovazero2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Innovazero2000
Member since 2006 • 3159 Posts

cause they aren't flashy and players don't have enough athleticism but still winning games everyone hates winners, America is behind Cavs all the way cause they want LeBron's flashier moves like dunking the ball over Duncan or some fancy assist by James rather than the Spurs fundamental basketball...

for me i don't see Spurs boring i like their style of play Defense first team, move and share the ball no selfish players there it's all about winning and team play... :P

Go Spurs Go!!!

yrag31

But you act like the cavs don't know fundamental basketball, when infact they were in the top 5 in both defense and rebounding in the regular season... and they work as a team very well. There ball movement isn't quite up there with the spurs, but they give eachother chances...

People want the cavs to win because they are fresh, they are the underdogs, they have never won a championship.... it has nothing to do with flashy anything...

Eman5805

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Eman5805
Member since 2004 • 4494 Posts

Final scores of 85-74, pure fundamentals, high percentage shots, nothing flashy, sound teammwork, and of course tough anti highlight reel giving up D. It's the very definition of boring. I like the occasional rim rocking, anklebreaking, 3rd row rejecting play. I won't get that in a Spurs game unless the Spurs are having an off game and Kobe or whoever goes off on them. I'm not saying it'd be better for the Spurs to play like the Suns or Warriors, but damn it'd make their games a bit more fun to watch. I'm not watching a basketball game to look at the person next to me and say "Wow, that was a perfectly executed bank shot!" or "Did you see the perfect follow through on that free throw!"(unless I'm a b-ball coach and trying to show my team how a great team plays). I wanna see some of the world's greatest athletes doing what only they can and leap out of my seat at the sheer excitment of it. As I've said, there's nothing exciting about pure fundamentals, and if you think it is, then you're probably the kinda person who'd read the Wall Street Journal or something...

BobC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BobC
Member since 2003 • 6259 Posts
Half-court, grind-it-out offense + a clutching/grabbing/dirty style of defense that neutralizes the athleticism and speed of other teams. They're the Stockton+Malone Jazz reborn. That's what makes Spurs games more effective at putting people to sleep than a drug cocktail of Valium and Lunesta.
MayorJohnny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 MayorJohnny
Member since 2003 • 7838 Posts

To me, the Spurs aren't "boring." They play solid, fundamental basketball.

If they are "predictable," it's because they are RELIABLE!

DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS! 

mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 mazing87
Member since 2004 • 3881 Posts

You need fundamentals no matter what sport you play.  I like a balance of everything.  Some fundamentals as well as some finesse, aggression, athleticism, and intensity.  I like Manu Ginobli when he's aggressive to get to the hoop.  The Spurs, although I do respect their history and their talent, they are just too fundamental for me.  I will be watching tonight's first game...

adamf_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 adamf_17
Everyone here keeps saying that the Spurs have great fundamentals and are winners.  NOBODY DENIES THAT!  They just aren't fun to watch.  If their fans love them, that's great.  Just don't expect everyone to like "grind-out" basketball.
wiination27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 wiination27
Member since 2007 • 1741 Posts
ya they are a solid team and sometimes tony parker can make it fun to watch.. but usually not.. mostly cuz they arent flashy and as exciting as the cavs cuz cleveland rocks any they pwn noobs like the spurs lol
cvasquez311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 cvasquez311
Member since 2004 • 962 Posts

they are boring because they are from texas, just like the cowboys. I hate teams from texas, escpecially the cowboys.

Espurs117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 Espurs117
Member since 2005 • 22817 Posts

they are boring because they are from texas, just like the cowboys. I hate teams from texas, escpecially the cowboys.

cvasquez311

:lol: Great reason right there.

Eman5805

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Eman5805
Member since 2004 • 4494 Posts

Final scores of 85-74... Eman5805

Wow...I was pretty close to say I wasn't realy predicting anything...

pundog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 pundog
Member since 2006 • 4491 Posts
Its because they are the NJ Devils of the NBA, they play fundamental, high percentage games that give them the best chance to win. Nothing flashy, nothing exciting, just predictable, smart basketball. Now for hardcore basketball fans that may be exciting but for casual fans like me who only watch if the Raptors or Suns are playing watching the Spurs play anyone other than the aforementioned Raps/Suns is like watching paint dry. Especially when you only watch quick, exciting, unconventional teams like the Raps and Suns who usually bring some flair to their game.
Nene33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Nene33

[QUOTE="murlow12"]They aren't boring, they are one of the few teams left that actually play fundamental basketball. Our generation doesn't know anything but flashy dunks and alley-oops, so we think fundamentals are boring. It's called ignorance, if you ask me.Knowledge33

Thank you. I am from the 80s and 90s and you are right. Young people these days have such low attention spans that only ESPN highlights/Top 10 plays are the only things that hold their attention. That's why the NBA has gotten worse since the 90s because of the lack of fundamentals. 

I second that(both quotes).

wiination27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 wiination27
Member since 2007 • 1741 Posts
[QUOTE="Knowledge33"]

[QUOTE="murlow12"]They aren't boring, they are one of the few teams left that actually play fundamental basketball. Our generation doesn't know anything but flashy dunks and alley-oops, so we think fundamentals are boring. It's called ignorance, if you ask me.Nene33

I second that(both quotes).

AHHhhem i think i saw an alley oop by ginobli in game 1.!:o 

KoFoNiO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 KoFoNiO
Member since 2006 • 938 Posts

Is this enough proof?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2007/news/story?id=2898196

Sure the Spurs can win, but apparently not many people care when they do.

Avatar image for WeWillMissAllen
WeWillMissAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 WeWillMissAllen
Member since 2006 • 573 Posts
Just like Nicky said, it's from Tim Duncan. His nickname was (or is) The Big Fundamental. You think people want to watch someone perform fundamentals? Sure they win you the game, but no one finds it entertaining. You like to watch a 7 footer do the closest thing to basics in basketball, do it. Don't critisize others for not liking the Spurs.
Arenas14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Arenas14
Member since 2007 • 52 Posts
you guys are casual fans can't appreciate the fundametals of the game. the SPURS are very fun to watch and are one of the fewTEAMS i wouuld suggest to younger players. because you people one to go an be allen iverson before you can even be able to do the fundamentalsof basketball. also if you guys want to see flash and flair watch that stupid no defenseAND 1crap.
Nene33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Nene33
The Spurs are a great basketball team, they've got good fundamentals, but they also have great creative offense, they're a balanced team, that plays to win. Any real basketball fan likes to watch their games, because they play the game right, they know how to win.
MOM-D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MOM-D
Member since 2005 • 5222 Posts
They have no exciting players
Nene33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Nene33
I you love the game of basketball, they have a team full of exciting players.
viberooni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 viberooni

I you love the game of basketball, they have a team full of exciting players.Nene33

Personally I feel that if you love the game, every team is full of exciting players because they are NBA level talents and the best in the world. The Spurs are especially great because of their success, great coaching and team concept but they are not the be all end all of good basketball in the league.

you guys are casual fans can't appreciate the fundametals of the game. the SPURS are very fun to watch and are one of the fewTEAMS i wouuld suggest to younger players. because you people one to go an be allen iverson before you can even be able to do the fundamentalsof basketball. also if you guys want to see flash and flair watch that stupid no defenseAND 1crap.Arenas14

Or watch Gilbert Arenas. Don't take it so personally, basketball is one of the few sports that allows for vastly different philosophies and identities from team to team and coach to coach, we should be praising the sport for that fact. No need to put down fellow fans and the rest of the league in order to defend the Spurs.

Darth-Yassen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Darth-Yassen
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I am going to echo a few other opinions. The spurs are the best in the league. No doubt about it. But tim duncan is just a solid player. Not to say thats bad, but thats were people start saying its boring. Just look at when tim duncan shoots a ball down low. Off the backboard. Thats old skool8)
juicetino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#40 juicetino
Member since 2005 • 17873 Posts
No reason. They just suck. Its boring to watch the same team go to the finals over and over.
MayorJohnny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MayorJohnny
Member since 2003 • 7838 Posts

No reason. They just suck. Its boring to watch the same team go to the finals over and over.juicetino

What about the Bulls in the '90s and the Lakers earlier in this decade? Maybe you're just biased against TEXAS teams? :|

SegArgyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SegArgyle
Member since 2004 • 2371 Posts
the spurs are just a dirty bunch of cheaters
SegArgyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SegArgyle
Member since 2004 • 2371 Posts

[QUOTE="juicetino"]No reason. They just suck. Its boring to watch the same team go to the finals over and over.MayorJohnny

What about the Bulls in the '90s and the Lakers earlier in this decade? Maybe you're just biased against TEXAS teams? :|

did he say he liked the bulls and lakers, no, why throw that out there

and yeah basketball is boring watchin the same four teams win over and over

thats why rating suck, and the spurs are a boring bunch of dirty players

nuff said

Knowledge33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Knowledge33
Member since 2007 • 841 Posts

the spurs are just a dirty bunch of cheatersSegArgyle

Sniff, sniff, I smell a possible Sun's fan.

whitetiger3521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 whitetiger3521
Member since 2005 • 4686 Posts
Because im a Bulls fan :oops:
Nene33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Nene33

[QUOTE="SegArgyle"]the spurs are just a dirty bunch of cheatersKnowledge33

Sniff, sniff, I smell a possible Sun's fan.

I think you're right, and he seems to carry the pain of the Suns-Spurs series deep inside.

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

the worst 2 final braodcast ratings in the past 10 years had Spurs in them........think about it, it's not rocket science.

justin4444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 justin4444
Member since 2004 • 718 Posts

I think they are boring because they only just play the game. Not giving a 'show'.

All (Professional) BASKETBALL with their different and awesome capabilities.

And I think thats what you call a great basketball team.

xyoojguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 xyoojguy
Member since 2003 • 1102 Posts
Because anyone outside of San Antonio can care less about the Spurs..