From the Bleachers Community Question: Is playing darts a sport?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SG_Fred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SG_Fred
Member since 2008 • 163 Posts
This week's community question takes us the world of darts. Is this a sport in the way bowling is? Or is another reason to call someone an "athlete" who really isn't one?

Send any responses to fred@sportsgamer.com or call and leave us your response to get on the air at 1-866-406-2638. OR post in this thread
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Yup

Is it the most demanding physical sport around? Of course not

It does take a certain degree of manual dexterity to be good at it. I mean Tom Brady hits Wes over the middle for a first down and everyone goes crazy. Stanly DartMcDartpants throws a bullseye (which is like what? a 3rd of an inch wide?) and no one says anything. All that's missing is a a few guys with glandular disorders trying to knock down Stan.

Plus there's pressure as well, if you need to hit a certain area on the board with the game on the line you need to have the composure to keep your technique and perform.

leofiregod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3 leofiregod
Member since 2004 • 2084 Posts

If you can call golf a sport then almost anything could be considered one. So, my answer would be yes.

The way my friends play darts it almost always ends up being a contact sport and there are numerous distractions.

squitsquat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 squitsquat
Member since 2005 • 1990 Posts
no its not because everyone can play it can be pretty good
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jaysonguy

no its not because everyone can play it can be pretty goodsquitsquat

I'm pretty sure everyone can throw a football or take a shot in basketball, they'll also get crushed by a professional

Same goes for darts.

leofiregod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7 leofiregod
Member since 2004 • 2084 Posts

hell if this is considered a sport you might as well add masturbation 123why

Again I say "If golf can be considered a sport, nearly anything can be." Golf isn't very athletic yet its been called a sport for years. Duck, Duck, Goose is more of a sport than Golf is. As long as they keep calling golf a sport, why not let darts, bowling and others games be sports too.

-Dionysus-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 -Dionysus-
Member since 2006 • 1276 Posts
No, but I would consider it more sport-like than NASCAR.
NetYankEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NetYankEagle
Member since 2007 • 11090 Posts
hell if this is considered a sport you might as well add masturbation 123why
:lol:
gamergeek545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#10 gamergeek545
Member since 2007 • 735 Posts
No because it isn't physically demanding like most sports.Some of you said that Golf wasn't a sport but it requires some endurance to walk up the course.You also said look at John Daly(Or however the hell you spell his name)but if he didn't drink so much beer and spend his time gambling and smoking he might not look like Winnie the Poo(Or however the hell you spell his name!)All you need in Darts is accuaracy it isn't that hard to practice a little bit and get perfect.
mrgab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 1

#11 mrgab
Member since 2005 • 23329 Posts
If golf and nascar is going to be considered sports, then darts is definately a sport.
babyblue2525

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 babyblue2525
Member since 2008 • 280 Posts
I don't think it's a sport just because it's so easy.
SG_Fred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SG_Fred
Member since 2008 • 163 Posts
keep'em coming
gamergeek545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#14 gamergeek545
Member since 2007 • 735 Posts
If golf and nascar is going to be considered sports, then darts is definately a sport.mrgab
Have you ever played 18 holes of golf.It's very tough.
goodlay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 goodlay
Member since 2005 • 5773 Posts

[QUOTE="mrgab"]If golf and nascar is going to be considered sports, then darts is definately a sport.gamergeek545

Also Golf is very tough on technique, and trying to keep your composure after hitting a bad shot.

squitsquat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 squitsquat

[QUOTE="squitsquat"]no its not because everyone can play it can be pretty goodJaysonguy

I'm pretty sure everyone can throw a football or take a shot in basketball, they'll also get crushed by a professional

Same goes for darts.

everyone can throw a football or shoot a basketball but 60% of those people arent good at it. darts is takes no physical skill and anyone can play it, and also golf is more mental than physical but its still hard to play
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jaysonguy
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="squitsquat"]no its not because everyone can play it can be pretty goodsquitsquat

Same goes for darts.

everyone can throw a football or shoot a basketball but 60% of those people arent good at it. darts is takes no physical skill and anyone can play it, and also golf is more mental than physical but its still hard to play

Oh I see, so everyone who picks up a dart can hit the bullseye every single time. You have to wonder why they added more to the board then.

Heck, if you can hit the bullseye every single time I suggest you sign up for a tournament or three.

mrgab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 1

#18 mrgab
Member since 2005 • 23329 Posts

[QUOTE="gamergeek545"][QUOTE="mrgab"]If golf and nascar is going to be considered sports, then darts is definately a sport.goodlay

Also Golf is very tough on technique, and trying to keep your composure after hitting a bad shot.

So can be with darts.

squitsquat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 squitsquat
[QUOTE="squitsquat"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="squitsquat"]no its not because everyone can play it can be pretty goodJaysonguy

Same goes for darts.

Oh I see, so everyone who picks up a dart can hit the bullseye every single time. You have to wonder why they added more to the board then.

Heck, if you can hit the bullseye every single time I suggest you sign up for a tournament or three.

i never said you would hit a bullseye even "pros" don't hit a bullseye, i could buy a dart board and play darts just as good as most people