David Garrard no longer a Jaguar, McCown named starter QB.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Link:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d821ff376/article/garrard-gone-mccown-elevated-to-starting-qb-by-jaguars?module=HP11_breaking_news

Can't say I was expecting that. However, he wasn't much good anyways.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Holy ****, that could turn out to be a questiobale move, or it could turn out to be an amazing one, who knows (but I'd put my money on questionable, at least this next season). I bet Seattle's kicking themselves now that they're stuck with T-Jack. Someone's bound to pick Garrard up, which other teams need a QB? Also, McCown named starter? WTH, would think that if they're going to release Garrad they'd at least make their rookie QB the starter (completely blanking on the name right now).

TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 TheGrat1
Member since 2008 • 4330 Posts
Unexpected, but irrelevant. They wont be a title contender this year.

Holy ****, that could turn out to be a questiobale move, or it could turn out to be an amazing one, who knows (but I'd put my money on questionable, at least this next season). I bet Seattle's kicking themselves now that they're stuck with T-Jack. Someone's bound to pick Garrard up, which other teams need a QB? Also, McCown named starter? WTH, would think that if they're going to release Garrad they'd at least make their rookie QB the starter (completely blanking on the name right now).

theone86
Blaine Gabbert, QB, Mizzou.
Avatar image for No_Hablo_Ingles
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 No_Hablo_Ingles
Member since 2009 • 8448 Posts

theone86
Glabbert or something... Anyway, a new team has entered the Suck 4 Luck campaign. Maybe they are planning on leaving Jacksonville, and want Luck to be the face of the LA whatever.
Jackboot343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jackboot343
Member since 2007 • 2574 Posts

theone86

McCown's been around longer than Gabbert has. That and the lockout is the only reason I can think why Gabbert isn't above McCown.
I'm sure it won't be long til McCown is injured or Gabbert is moved up to starter. Trash Garrard all you want but I can't think of many other QBs who can take the beatings he has. :?
Anyone could still win the AFC South this season

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

Doing it this late was a **** move by Jacksonville. Garrard could've secured a contract comparable to what McNabb and Hasselbeck each got, if he had been available.

pokecharm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#7 pokecharm
Member since 2011 • 1474 Posts

Doing it this late was a **** move by Jacksonville. Garrard could've secured a contract comparable to what McNabb and Hasselbeck each got, if he had been available.

Oleg_Huzwog

too true, and to be fair, Garrard was the best thing on that team for years - he provided stability over Byron Leftwich and besides their awesome running backs, what else do they have there? They have completely eliminated themselves from contention, especially with the Colts possibly not having Manning at the start of the season - the AFC South is as close to wide open as ever! I'm rooting for the Texans (in this, not the whole NFL)!

Jackboot343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jackboot343

I honestly don't see how this hurts the Jaguars though. He had proved himself to be capable in the past, but he was easily the worst looking QB out of the three in this preseason. He definitely didn't look like the veteran he is, and part of that is due to the O-Line not protecting him.

A poor man's Michael Vick

Should find a starting job somewhere.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
i have a feeling they have a a deal done to bring tebow in, is why they cut him.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50562 Posts
It seens the players didnt care cor him either. Just read that they got sick of him pointing his fingers at them and not taking any blame.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 theone86

I honestly don't see how this hurts the Jaguars though. He had proved himself to be capable in the past, but he was easily the worst looking QB out of the three in this preseason. He definitely didn't look like the veteran he is, and part of that is due to the O-Line not protecting him.

Jackboot343

Preseason is preseason, doesn't count for anything. When you compare what he and McCown have done in the regular season then Garrard is a better choice hands down. Gabbert doesn't even have any regular season performances to compare with them, and I'd still take him over McCown any day. At least with Garrard playing Gabbert might have had the chance to pick some things up from him, he's not going to get the same benefit of quality starting experience from McCown.

yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts
That's a shocker. I thought he played rather well at Jacksonville. Timing is very bad and thankfully I didn't pick him for my fantasy team.
Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts
Well I am taking the Titans over the Jags in pick em this week.
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#14 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts
That's a shame, he's a solid NFL QB. Sounds like he won't garner much more than a backup job at this point. I think a team like San Francisco, Miami or Seattle should take a look, he would be an improvement over their current situations.
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

Jackboot343

If this was the beginning of August, sure. But since the Jags are apparently being run by a collection of turds who lack professional courtesy, the best he can hope for now is a backup role with a small chance of starting around Week 8 or 9 after the current starter plays himself out of a job.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
*Uses Denver's owner voice* This-one, is for LUCK!
Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Boston_Boyy
Member since 2008 • 4103 Posts

Man i'm not sure about this. Any other year i'd say this would be the right move, that they weren't gonna compete this year, that it'd be a waste of both Garrard's and the Jag's time to have him as a lame duck. This year though, with Manning's neck it's different. You don't know what's gonna happen there, and if Manning were to go out for an extended period of time, who's to say the Jags can't come in, get away with some games like they did last year, and steal the division from the Texans with Garrard at the helm.

hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hayato_
Member since 2007 • 5165 Posts

[QUOTE="Jackboot343"]

theone86

Preseason is preseason, doesn't count for anything. When you compare what he and McCown have done in the regular season then Garrard is a better choice hands down. Gabbert doesn't even have any regular season performances to compare with them, and I'd still take him over McCown any day. At least with Garrard playing Gabbert might have had the chance to pick some things up from him, he's not going to get the same benefit of quality starting experience from McCown.

I watched Gabbert play at Mizzou and honestly, I feel like their two different styles of QBs. The experience thing is something I agree with though.
Avatar image for ps3_owns_360Wii
ps3_owns_360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 ps3_owns_360Wii
Member since 2008 • 2289 Posts

*Uses Denver's owner voice* This-one, is for LUCK!Master_Live

Because they didn't draft a QB in the 2011 draft.:roll:

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Chutebox  Online

[QUOTE="Master_Live"]*Uses Denver's owner voice* This-one, is for LUCK!ps3_owns_360Wii

Whole different coaching staff and that makes a big difference.
Avatar image for ps3_owns_360Wii
ps3_owns_360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 ps3_owns_360Wii
Member since 2008 • 2289 Posts

[QUOTE="ps3_owns_360Wii"]

[QUOTE="Master_Live"]*Uses Denver's owner voice* This-one, is for LUCK!Chutebox

If Gabbert was a 2nd or 3rd round pick, it would be a different story. But you cant waste 2 1st round picks on Qbs in back to back drafts, that would set your franchise back too far back.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 theone86

That's a shame, he's a solid NFL QB. Sounds like he won't garner much more than a backup job at this point. I think a team like San Francisco, Miami or Seattle should take a look, he would be an improvement over their current situations.monkeytoes61

Chad Henne is like herpes, no matter how many times he goes away he eventually keeps coming back. San Francisco, I don't think Harbaugh wants to get stuck with a 30+ year old quarterback who was never elite to begin with. Favre over 40, alright but Garrard approaching 40? My guess is Harbaugh is sizing up a few college QBs that he thinks he can develop. Seattle would have been ideal had this happened a month and a half ago, but now that they've locked Tavaris in as a starter I wonder if they'll go out and sign Garrard. It'd be the smart move, but they might not make it. Then again, they just ditched a 30-something year old QB, not sure they want to go out and sign another one.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

[QUOTE="monkeytoes61"]That's a shame, he's a solid NFL QB. Sounds like he won't garner much more than a backup job at this point. I think a team like San Francisco, Miami or Seattle should take a look, he would be an improvement over their current situations.theone86

San Francisco, I don't think Harbaugh wants to get stuck with a 30+ year old quarterback who was never elite to begin with. My guess is Harbaugh is sizing up a few college QBs that he thinks he can develop.

Luck, Luck, LUCK!!!
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Chutebox  Online

[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="ps3_owns_360Wii"]

ps3_owns_360Wii

If Gabbert was a 2nd or 3rd round pick, it would be a different story. But you cant waste 2 1st round picks on Qbs in back to back drafts, that would set your franchise back too far back.

Nevermind, I completely miss read what you put.
Jackboot343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jackboot343

Should've seen it coming when the team didn't select him as a captain for this season. Also same thing happened to Leftwich
Still don't think this will impact how the Jaguars fare, but they could and should have traded him. Veteran Pro Bowl QB's gotta have some value. Kudos to whoever does get him cause it's very likely you'll win a Super Bowl :P

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
9ers should probably take him, anyone over Alex Smith but then again the pocket collapses in like 1.5 seconds so whoever is back there is just getting murdered.
Avatar image for UprootedDreamer
UprootedDreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 UprootedDreamer
Member since 2011 • 2036 Posts
I think this might pay off for the Jaguars in the future but it will not have an immediate impact like they hope it will.
fsurb28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 fsurb28
Member since 2008 • 1329 Posts

i have a feeling they have a a deal done to bring tebow in, is why they cut him.starwarsjunky

i hope they do so the people can get exactly what they're asking for - the nfl's version of the college death penalty

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

I see this as one part plot from the movie Major League, one part Garrard being kind of a prick Apparently he started pointing fingers at the rest of his offense, a perceived lack of accountability never looks good, though he did have some room to complain **looks back at the Jags drafts**.