kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

User Lists: 0

#1 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

Sonic's had a lot of spinoffs, side stories and various games and it's debated which series should keep going and which should crawl into a fire a die. I've seen a lot of games that were flawed but had potential to work if some tweaks were made so here's a few Sonic series I personally think have potential to be good spinoffs if some things were fixed.

Sonic Heroes 2: The Team based mechanic was one of the better "gimmicks" brought into the series however Heroes big failings were from a lot of execution problems. One being baddies that took waaaay too long to kill, another being too much linearity, the third being the forcing of playing the game four times to finish. That being said the three issues are easily resolved. Sega knows they don't have to pad out a game to meet some sort of playtime requirement set up by the imaginary gamer committee to determine quality and if the stages had more branching paths (see Seaside Hill in Generations) this would give the stages more replay value. As for the partner mechanic. This is where gamers could do like Sonic Advance 3 where one could experiement with different partner combos.

Sonic Chronicles 2: While Chronicles was mostly an average game, I think fans are waaaaay too hard on it probably because when you consider Bioware's other work, it seems pretty medicore. Had Sonic Team made Chronicles, most would've expected medicority. I still think that Sonic can spinoff into RPGs as Mario has. You just have to do it right. The biggest failing of it besides the story that was boring as tar was Bioware fearful of making the game too hard for kids. Bioware, what if I told you most kids play a very deep and engaging RPG. It's called Pokemon. Pokemon's trick is as with most Nintendo games, is that magic formula of "easy to learn, difficult to master." If kids can figure out how to create a solid fighting team of creatures, they can level up Sonic characters in an RPG.

Sonic Colors 2: This is a no brainer. Imagine Sonic Colors in HD, with new power ups. Now if Colors had one failing I hear about was "too much time in 2D." Now with Generations that seemed to find that balance between 2D and 3D play. Throw in an improved multiplayer mode with the option to select other characters and I think we got a winner.

Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing 2: Well we know there is a sequel planned and to be honest despite being a "Mario Kart Clone" it's a good one and I have no problem with Mario Kart clones if they're made well. All too often the MK forumla is used as a cheap cash in. Hell I like SaSASR better than most of the "good" MK clones like Diddy Kong Racing and Modnation Racers. Maybe because it doesn't have a tedious story mode that has you grinding the same races over and over again or making you listen to annoying announcers, one a mean spirited bully and the other a wuss. Sonic's MK clone needs some work. Better online setup, more diverse roster, and a much better battle mode.

Sonic Battle/Fighters sequel whatever: Ok Sega, why does this NOT exist yet? Seriously, you know you're fanbase. They ate up the so-so Sonic Battle on the GBA. Why? Because fans want to kick the snot out of the Sonic characters for their "who would win a fight" debates? Tons of Sonic fans bought SSBB despite hating the game just to play as Sonic. Do you not want to make money Sega?

Ones I don't want to see ever again:

Sonic Riders 4: If the Kinect launch game wasn't the nail in the coffin, I don't know what else would be. I'll admit I enjoyed the first game, it's gotten less impressive with each title and I have a feeling even Sega wasn't planning a 3rd Riders except MS begged them to make some kind of Sonic game for the Kinect launch given their lack of a cuddly mascot.

Shadow the Hedgehog 2: Does this need any explanation? Anyone who wants a sequel to Shadow's gun toting emo fest who is over the age of 12 needs to be beaten. The only way I'd accept it if it was meant to be done in a hilariously ironic way like Conker's Bad Fur Day. And if you request a Shadow sequel, I will personally come to your house and give you a savage beating.

Sonic Adventure 3: LAST TIME. They already made this game, yes it wasn't called Sonic Adventure 3, it was called just Sonic the Hedgehog and it sucked remember? Though some stand by the fact that since it did have the SA3 title, it doesn't count, from a gameplay standpoint with multiple playable characters, various storylines, hub worlds, it's basically Sonic Adventure 3. Get over it and move on with your life.

Sonic Storybook Series:: Let's get this straight, Secret Rings was a lucky fluke for Sega. The only reason it got the attention it did was it was the first console game in a long time where players just played as Sonic. Being free of the "stupid friends" as it was put was enough to get people excited. Also it was an early Wii title that was experimenting with motion controls. It also took advantage of being during those early months of a console launch and giving some a filler between Twilight Princess and Super Paper Mario. This is seen by the dismal sales of Sonic and the Black Knight. Nobody except die hard Sonic fans wanted to play Sonic as Link. When I originally heard Sega was letting "fans vote on the third game setting" I wanted to smack my head into the wall. But thankfully that idea was shot down. Sega made Sonic Colors for the Wii instead and Black Knight's failure holds a special place in my heart as the "end of the crappy era" of Sonic games.

Ok you're turn.

kjhg53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#2 kjhg53
Member since 2008 • 30455 Posts

Sonic R 2: The problems of the first title can be fixed. Add tighter controls, more characters, and more courses. Also, the unlockables should not be in big open areas or be so out of the way that they can cause you to not get 1st place. Hell, they could even remake the original courses as bonus unlockables once you've unlocked all the normal ones. Battle mode could use some work and they could easily add online funtuality to it. In fact, I think it would make a great downloadable title for the 3DS. I know what you're all thinking, "well we have Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing and that was good" and I agree, heck I liked it more than some Mario Kart games. It has nothing to do with the fact Sonic is in a kart, far from it. I would just like to see this.

srbrans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 srbrans
Member since 2005 • 731 Posts
Well, what Sonic Team have to do is start planning for a revitalisation of Sonic's Dreamcast days and get going on Sonic Adventure 3 and- oh wait it's April 2nd. Scratch that. :P If they did go for a Sonic Adventure 4, they'd have to work on the formula so much that it would be barely comparable to Adventure 1 and 2 and 06; including getting good story writers in again. Take for example an idea I had a while ago when fantasising about what a great new Sonic game could involve. Sonic running fast just like Unleashed for an act, then Tails or someone else running fast for an act, but making use of their ability, like having lots of floating platforms to fly between. I might have described that better at the time I had the idea, but you get the point. That's quite different from the variation in play style that Adventure 1 and 2 had, as Tails was pretty much going through exactly the same level as Sonic in the 1st one and all the other characters were very different from that. And yes - I met one recently - there are people that want them to make an Adventure 3, as if fishing and super slow running (Amy) etc. never happened. Maybe those people do know about the downfalls of the first two and have a decent idea of what to keep and get rid of and change, but as I said, that would most likely involve changing the formula drastically so there's little point to calling it Adventure. As far as I know, the difference in Sonic 06 between Sonic/Shadow/Silver isn't as big as those in the Adventure titles, because they're mainly running through levels (and so are their helper characters like Tails for the most part), so it makes me wonder (again, because this is an obvious thing to wonder) how much better Sonic 06 would be if it functioned well like Unleashed. As for my own ideas, I recall thinking that Sonic 06 was a bit like Heroes because of the groups of 3 characters (and maybe something else but whatever), but a better comparison is between Adventure and Unleashed (HD version especially). There are hubs, very different play styles, Chaos/Gaia and two flying levels, and maybe more. Now to continue series, I would bring up that proposition again of having something like Sonic the Werehog (forget using some weird contrived plot to bring him back though, just have him show up, humorously even), but with a faster pace and more emphasis on platforming. That to me is a great variation in gameplay style, as it's a bit slower than normal modern Sonic levels and helps strengthen the platforming aspect. Something like this (it could also be called a fast placed version of Ristar) could be done really well and be challenging in its own way imo.
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4 Soniczero1993
Member since 2005 • 35070 Posts

Actually me and kj spoke about Sonic Heroes 2 a few days ago. My suggestion was having the original trio for Team Sonic, but instead of having four teams, you get rid of Rose and Chaotix and only stick with Sonic and Dark. As for the team, my suggestion was being able to swap team members. While Sonic is a permanent member, Tails and Knuckles could be swapped out. In terms of story, Sonic, Tails and Knuckles are the main characters, but for getting through levels, you also have a chance to use someone else.

These characters also tie in to the more creative boss fights I thought up. One such boss involves using Silver. Silver has to throw an object at him, as Sonic has no way of actually hitting him. Once he gets stunned, Sonic can run up to his downed body and homing attack his face. Another boss idea was going back to Marble Garden Zone's fight. A boss where it's completely in the air. Tails can fly forever for this fight, and you need to thundershoot him in a specific spot for him to make his body a platform big enough for Sonic to run on and smack him. Or Knuckles if you want to deal extra damage.

barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 barren167
Member since 2011 • 2606 Posts
Sonic Advance four. Sure, it was a GBA series, and certain special things about it (like still having the old actors even in the Gamecube days) are impossible, but still, it managed to be nostalgic and still new, something nothing else has really pulled off, except maybe Colors Wii. Also, Black Knight was a good game, if you got over the typically non-responsive motion controls. A sequel, I doubt they could pull it off, but you never know... Also, from what I've seen of Chronicles, I wouldn't want a sequel. A Sonic game where your jumping and running is limited to select places and tapping yellow icons? Ugh...
srbrans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 srbrans
A second Sonic Heroes could be fashioned like this, or not: [spoiler] [/spoiler] And if we're talking about boss ideas, I thought a remake of Ghost Condor from Sonic Rush Adventure (Sky Babylon boss) was in order. You'd be running inside a giant ring structure (like a hamster wheel) in order to make it turn. Already I'm continuing with the ideas of what it could be like. Somebody stop me. :D
demoman_chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 demoman_chaos
Member since 2006 • 13896 Posts
Sonic Battle was actually pretty good and deserves a sequel. Since there are no so freakin many different characters in the Sonic world now, a huge roster could be made. The battle system would need only a bit of tweaking to bring it to a console. It could be a party fighter to compete with SSBB (which really is the only party fighter since Powerstone on the Dreamcast).
barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 barren167
Battle needed a bit more balance, and a lot less personal buildable character. After playing with Emerl for a while it was nearly impossible for me to go back to a character that couldn't refill his health in two seconds and kill pretty much anyone with a single combo.
demoman_chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 demoman_chaos
Member since 2006 • 13896 Posts
I was a BAUSS with Sonic. The custom character idea should stay, but a little tweaking is needed, mainly to the move cost and max you can spend.
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Soniczero1993
Or go DBZ games and let you transform to increase in power.
barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 barren167
Or not, because no one wants to see "Hyper Rouge".
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Soniczero1993

Uh, in DBZ only people who can transform transform. I don't remember Rouge having any forms. Dumb dumb.

Also saying transform twice makes me feel like the Insecticon Kickback.

sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 sonicphc
Member since 2005 • 7779 Posts
Hmm. I'm pretty down with the idea of the Sonic Heroes/Sonic Advance 3 cross (team play, but with swappable team members). Also, I'd honestly like to see another Sonic Riders game. I thought the original was a novel twist on the kart racer style of game. Yeah, they kinda botched the latest one by shoehorning a kinect in there, but that doesn't make the concept any less sound. (Yes, I am aware it is no longer April 1st - this opinion is genuine). I'm good without another Sonic Battle, though. The Air-Ground-Block special selection system was kind of nifty, but I feel like they really had to try too hard to find excuses for the characters to fight.
barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 barren167

Uh, in DBZ only people who can transform transform. I don't remember Rouge having any forms. Dumb dumb.

Also saying transform twice makes me feel like the Insecticon Kickback.

Soniczero1993
Then we have just four people who can actually fight in upgraded mode, six if Silver and Blaze are let in the game.
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Soniczero1993
I think that's plenty. Especially if Tails' army comes to do his bidding.
barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 barren167
Tails' army did what it wanted, killing every enemy on screen in the order it felt like. A tad overpowered for a fighting game, I'd think.
Hyrule4EVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#17 Hyrule4EVER
Member since 2009 • 632 Posts

A spirtual sequel to Sonic Adventure 2 would be nice, no hub worlds, a solid story, good writing and character development for once.

Really liking the ideas of interchangable characters, particularly at any time during a level. Giant wall blocking your way? Just give a whistle and you would control Knuckles to smash it down.

Also, speaking of Tails being overpowered, wouldnt' it be great if they brought back the mechs but did it right? You could hop in and out whether you want to use it or not, and you could also turn it into a jet fighter and suddenly the platforming level becomes an on rails air shooter. And you could build upgrades and everything, it's almost like Tails could have a game of his own...  :roll:

And yeah, I'm pumped for Kid Icarus: Uprising, what gave you that idea? 

barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 barren167
I think that game's out already, it's been in stores for a while now. Unless you mean pumped about playing it.
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Soniczero1993

They should bring it all back at the same time.

Sonic Adventure 4: Battle Heroes R 2

barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 barren167
Sonic Adventure 4: The Riding Heroes of Battle R
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Soniczero1993
60 hour game.
barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 barren167
Seven worlds. In every level one you play as Sonic or Shadow in a 3-D normal level, Sonic Colors style. Level two is Tails or Eggman n his mechanical world using a variety of gadgets to win the day. Level three is Knuckles or Omega in a classic beat 'em up, smashing through every robot in the world to reach a heavy boss in the end. Level four is Amy or Rouge in a car driving around a course to beat the other person to the finish while collecting all five tokens that spell "Sonic". Level five is a hoverboard race featuring Espio taking on Fang (or Nack if you prefer) the Weasel in a race for Chaos Emeralds, with Jet swooping in at the end of every race to steal the prize. Level six is a boss fight with a random character against an ever-increasing in size giant beast of world-devastating power, with world seven having you take on a Godzilla rip-off. And finally, after you beat every level in every world with both Sonic's and Eggman's teams, you unlock the bonus world where you combine the powers and abilities of every character to take on a super-duper time-shattering boss who can only be beaten by Super Sonic in a hoverboard-mech racing around a track shooting robots.
Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111411 Posts
Sonic All-Star Battle Heroes R: Sonic Adventure 4. :3
kjhg53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kjhg53
Member since 2008 • 30455 Posts

Sonic All-Star Battle Color Heroes R Chronicles: Sonic Adventure 4 & Knuckles.

Because Sonic & Knuckles locks on to every SEGA game.

barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 barren167
I thought it was just any Genesis game? Anyway, sort of on-topic again: Blue Sphere 2. :D[spoiler] Just because: Super Sonic and Sega All-Star Battle Heroes of Color Adventure Chronicles 2R: Generations of Rush & Knuckles [/spoiler]
sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sonicphc
I don't think Blue Sphere 2 is needed. The first already has a few million procedurally generated levels that you'll never finish. ;)
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Soniczero1993
Not unless you play as God Knuckles.
zmanrwks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 zmanrwks
Member since 2010 • 12562 Posts

Knuckles Chaotix 2.

I just want another game starring Knuckles. Doesn't even have to be a Chaotix sequel.

sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 sonicphc

Knuckles Chaotix 2.

I just want another game starring Knuckles. Doesn't even have to be a Chaotix sequel.

zmanrwks
But it should be. Chaotix was awesome.
barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 barren167
I don't think Blue Sphere 2 is needed. The first already has a few million procedurally generated levels that you'll never finish. ;)sonicphc
But it was lacking in alternate characters! The one game where playing as Robotnik and Mecha Sonic would actually be feasible, and we just got Sonic and Knuckles (Not even Tails).
srbrans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 srbrans
[QUOTE="sonicphc"]I don't think Blue Sphere 2 is needed. The first already has a few million procedurally generated levels that you'll never finish. ;)barren167
But it was lacking in alternate characters! The one game where playing as Robotnik and Mecha Sonic would actually be feasible, and we just got Sonic and Knuckles (Not even Tails).

If I remember correctly, the actual figure was 124517728 levels, which is more than a few million.
barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 barren167
I never did bother to learn the full figure, all I knew is that I'd not be running out. But like I said, I'd loved to have played as Robotnik in it.
sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 sonicphc
[QUOTE="barren167"][QUOTE="sonicphc"]I don't think Blue Sphere 2 is needed. The first already has a few million procedurally generated levels that you'll never finish. ;)srbrans

If I remember correctly, the actual figure was 124517728 levels, which is more than a few million.

When it comes to millions, 12 is a few. And somehow I suspect your memory process involved google. ;) Also, I am incredibly disappointed that number isn't a power of two.
srbrans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 srbrans
12 is a few.sonicphc
124, however, is not. I am king of writing numbers badly

And somehow I suspect your memory process involved google. ;) Also, I am incredibly disappointed that number isn't a power of two.

It didn't involve Google, and the number 134 217 728 is a power of two. So maybe that's the actual amount and I was a few million out with only 2 wrong digits. It's been a while since I saw that figure last.
sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 sonicphc
[QUOTE="sonicphc"]12 is a few.srbrans
124, however, is not. I am king of writing numbers badly

And somehow I suspect your memory process involved google. ;) Also, I am incredibly disappointed that number isn't a power of two.

It didn't involve Google, and the number 134 217 728 is a power of two. So maybe that's the actual amount and I was a few million out with only 2 wrong digits. It's been a while since I saw that figure last.

I got too curious and googled it. 2^27 levels. There are 2^28 possible stages that could be generated (2^7 possible segments, and four segments are assembled), but ones showing rotational symmetry are omitted, I think. Here's a level generator, where you can put together the 128 pieces and build your own level (or find some really evil/easy pre-built ones). Level generator.
barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 barren167
Nerds... :P
Metalsteelix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37 Metalsteelix
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
let's see what i've got... Sonic Heroes 2 team suggestions: team future/dimensions: Silver, Blaze, Marine/Julie-su/Shade team girlz: Amy, Mina, Sally team ?? (forgot their name): Fang, Bark, Bean team babylon: Jet, Wave, Storm team echidna: Knuckles, Julie-Su, Tikal those are just suggestions, probably you see some good, probably you hate em. a sequel with marine the raccoon: Alright, alright, I hear alot of you people think WTF MARINE SHE SUCKS. Well, actually, in my opinion she's one of the better characters. She deserves her own game or at least an sequel. Don't forget that she was the one that interupted those two eggheads from launching the planet buster laser...thing yeah.... Probably Sega could make her a bit more grown up for the people who hated her, but it didn't matter for me Master emeralds, where are yooouuuu??: Sonic Adventure 2 was the last game with the Master emerald, and it never reappeared in any sonic game (or it did but it didn't have a big role at all). The master Emerald used to be very important, and it still is. Probably the super emeralds deserve a comeback too. I know people will get epilepsy of hyper sonic but whatever, that's sonic. Sonic the Comic the game: Some of you might have read the comics once, some never had. The comics (at the moment 241 issues) have a very nice story within them but none of them are worked into an game. Did you know Dr. Robotnik did die already? Never shown in game. Also, the comics have an reallyyyyyy huuggeee database of awesome characters. that's all for now :3
TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#38 TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33351 Posts
Sonic Heroes 2 and Sonic Generations 2 is what I want to see the most. I've been wanting to see a Sonic Heroes 2 for quite a while. For Sonic Generations 2, add Tail and Knuckles in both their classic and modern forms.
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Soniczero1993
The only difference for Knuckles is if they give Classic Knuckles his hat.
sonictrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#40 sonictrainer
Member since 2008 • 15187 Posts

The only difference for Knuckles is if they give Classic Knuckles his hat.Soniczero1993

and change his shoes.

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111411 Posts
[QUOTE="zmanrwks"]

Knuckles Chaotix 2.

sonicphc
But it should be. Chaotix was awesome.

It would be nice to see it re-released on Virtual Console in some form, and then have a sequel made on like the 3DS or something.
ProjectAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ProjectAlpha
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Even if Sonic Adventure 3 did happen, it wouldn't feel like the first two. 

I don't have any sequel requests, but I would like to see Sonic '06 be remade... and good this time. 

sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 sonicphc

I don't have any sequel requests, but I would like to see Sonic '06 be remade... and good this time. 

ProjectAlpha
Given the new, Modern Sonic formula, I don't think that one's ever going to happen. There's no place for the Adventure formula in the Sonic Universe now - SEE: Sonic Generations.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#44 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts
[QUOTE="ProjectAlpha"]

sonicphc

Given the new, Modern Sonic formula, I don't think that one's ever going to happen. There's no place for the Adventure formula in the Sonic Universe now - SEE: Sonic Generations.

I agree. There's never going to be Sonic Adventure 3. Sega realized they don't need to pad a game out with hub worlds, side quests and forced playable friends.