Infinite_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Infinite_Zero
Member since 2015 • 7 Posts

This is something I'm sick of. So many retro gamers look at today's gamers as unappreciative of retro games and sucking at games as today's games are too easy. This is all a stereotype. I hate it. "Modern gamers are weak in playing skills and don't like retro games modern games suck." Well I'm a modern gamer, and I love retro games. Some of my favourite games are retro games. But I like modern games too. I don't just care about graphics. In fact, I think retro games have amazing graphics. I seem to be the only one who understands that resolution does not equal graphics. Modern games, I admit, are pretty easy. But that isn't a bad thing. Anyway, some modern games are hard. Take Mega Man 9 for example, or Super Meat Boy. This is a stereotype I don't want to go on. Anyone else have a similar pradicament?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I wouldn't let the attitude get to you - the truth is it's probably a tiny minority of the gaming population. The problem is, we come to these internet forums and get this very narrow lens on the gaming community. There's probably, what, a few dozen members on here that actively go on tirades about how they won't touch new games because only NES games are good? In a small insular forum they seem plentiful, and the squeaky wheels get the attention - but in the grand scheme of things it's only a teeny tiny group.

You find this kind of attitude in other corners of the site, too, unfortunately - there's always someone looking to hide behind a keyboard and assert how they are better than everyone (the majority) else; If it's not a retro snob, it's a PC snob or a console snob or a Sony snob or an XBox snob or a "hardcore" snob or...

Just play what you like and share it with us - plenty DO want to actually talk about games instead of tearing others down :-)

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

I don't see the problem,it's just nostalgia...sure we play games,but playing retro games in a modern world where we use big-ass TVs and other advanced recreational technologies,is just to keep its history alive. modern gamers aren't wholly entitled to play games made for this gen only,but to look back as a reminder that every modern gamers now were once retro gamers. it's a normal thing that gamers sometimes skip its youth where arcades and low-polygon graphic games are still around and then jump ship to a much bigger challenge.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

That's their problem for feeling that way. I play retro and modern games. I don't see why there isn't room for both? I mean after all, current games will be retro in the future ;).

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

@infinite_zero said:

This is something I'm sick of. So many retro gamers look at today's gamers as unappreciative of retro games and sucking at games as today's games are too easy. This is all a stereotype. I hate it. "Modern gamers are weak in playing skills and don't like retro games modern games suck." Well I'm a modern gamer, and I love retro games. Some of my favourite games are retro games. But I like modern games too. I don't just care about graphics. In fact, I think retro games have amazing graphics. I seem to be the only one who understands that resolution does not equal graphics. Modern games, I admit, are pretty easy. But that isn't a bad thing. Anyway, some modern games are hard. Take Mega Man 9 for example, or Super Meat Boy. This is a stereotype I don't want to go on. Anyone else have a similar pradicament?

Totally agree man. I also hate the "graphics don't matter" stereotype because these people compare modern graphics to older ones without taking into account that for their time, those graphics were actually top notch and sold BECAUSE of both the graphics and gameplay. People actually think that we thought NES, GB, SNES, n64, GBA, PS and PS2 graphics sucked when they first came out (I know there are older consoles but I never owned them). This always makes me laugh.

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

@-paranorman- said:
@infinite_zero said:

Totally agree man. I also hate the "graphics don't matter" stereotype because these people compare modern graphics to older ones without taking into account that for their time, those graphics were actually top notch and sold BECAUSE of both the graphics and gameplay. People actually think that we thought NES, GB, SNES, n64, GBA, PS and PS2 graphics sucked when they first came out (I know there are older consoles but I never owned them). This always makes me laugh.

I also think that with the more advanced technology of today a lot of developers are trying to make their games look more realistic. While back then the technology was more limited so to prevent all of the games from looking the same the developers had to be more creative and come up with different artistic styles to be more diverse. I'm not trying to say that games today aren't diverse, games like Wonderful 101 and Borderlands both boast colorful styles but differ greatly in the way they look and play. And I'm also not trying to dismiss other games like The Last of Us or The Witcher 3 which go for the more realistic style and pull it off.

But you can also look at revivals of older games (Mighty N9, Bloodstained) which take the old style and use modern tech and they still have diverse styles which tells you that it wasn't just a product of the time, but that there is still merit to 2d games. Both 3d and 2d can exist, being one of the other doesn't make it better. Just like how books and comic books can both do different things in different ways and both still be good (and bad) in the same medium.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Don't let it get to you.

Every one has there reason , but some just go all the way and think they are the best because they do 1 miniscule thing.

Take me for an example:I don't have the new gen consoles and my PC really sucks , so i got a WII last x-mas because i never had one./it has some fun games for me/and i still play my PS2 and PS3.

Some take a stand , but some want to beat you with said stand.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

@Hatiko: Amen to that.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

i think you shouldnt take it literally. there are always exceptions to the rule.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

As much as I love retro gaming, even I don't really have the patience these days to really sit here and beat a game like Contra or Fester's Quest without cheats or save states at least. I usually do what i call rolodexing where I get my nostalgia fix by playing a handful of various old games, usually for no more than 30 minutes each if that. But without save states, I quickly lose interest for a while because I don't have the time nor patience to keep repeating until I know it through and through. Now some of the arcade games via emulation isn't bad because you can just keep pressing the insert coin button.

Frankly, I like these modern easy games due to time constraints and the fact that I don't care to play every day. What I like most about old games is that they are quick to get in and out of. I can jump in quickly and end it. No waiting until I get to a save location, no waiting through logo's and intro scenes.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#13 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

Developers used to design, script, complete, print and ship a game before they even had any idea if people were interested or if anyone would buy it. It doesn't get any more hardcore than that, and today's developers/publishers (the big ones at least) have swung the risk back into the gamers' hands. That is, they want their money before we get the game! How did this insane arrangement come about?!

Imagine buying your ticket for Jurassic World a year ago, with no real promise as to the content of the film. You can bet that once they've made enough pre-sales, they gain enough confidence to not really try too hard to make a good film, just make it serviceable.

MANd0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MANd0n
Member since 2014 • 187 Posts

I was born in 1994 and the industry was well into the era of 64 bit gaming when I was a kid.... but idk.. I've never considered myself a "modern gamer". My first console was an NES with the original Super Mario Bros and Duck Hunt. From there I got a SNES and an N64 and so on as the years passed. I was always a generation behind which really helped me broaden my scope and appreciate older games.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

I feel the same way but don't get bothered by it. Every medium has people that saw everything new sucks. There are no good movies, TV, music, comics, anything, being made anymore according to some.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f56fcab5da82
deactivated-5f56fcab5da82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5f56fcab5da82
Member since 2019 • 118 Posts

I feel like I missed out on retro games (particularly NES, SNES, and GameBoy). I love playing old Zelda, Mega Man, and Mario games, but anything Atari-era just doesn’t appeal to me. On the other hand, I have a switch and I am loving BOTW, odyssey, and hollow knight. Newer games don’t face hardware limitations and appeal to me as a younger person, but I love to go back and explore the roots of those games that I love.