White father and son arrested in killing of Ahmaud Arbery, black man gunned down while jogging in Georgia

• 62 results
THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2361 Posts

Not sure what they were thinking and to be an ex cop is inexcusable.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2020/05/07/ahmaud-arbery-shooting-video-prosecutor-arrest-mcmichael/3089040001/

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

Apparently, gun violence killed at least 15,292 people in the US last year.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ecb2e9232c57
deactivated-5ecb2e9232c57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#3 deactivated-5ecb2e9232c57
Member since 2019 • 653 Posts

The video is disgusting. This is cold blooded murder and I am astounded they actually tried to claim self defence after they ran up on him.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14834 Posts

It took two months for an arrest and two DAs had to recuse themselves. "one [DA] said he thought the McMichaels had used their citizens' arrest rights." I guess that means assuming the worst of someone, tracking them down, and then killing them?

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Why were they not arrested months ago? Oh....I know why.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178883 Posts

About time..............

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17701 Posts

Good. Bury these racist shits under the jail. Disgusting.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#8 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49605 Posts

Presumption of someone casing a construction home is not reasonable cause a felony occurred, nor is it any crime unless, and this is a stretch, but trespassing. A misd. offense committed in their presence would establish grounds for a citizens arrest. The whole armed citizen chasing down someone for looking at a construction home will not have any jury appeal. Lastly, there will be a credible grounds for defense in regards to the actual struggle over the gun. I think the best scenario is to seek manslaughter charges.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58543 Posts

@kadin_kai said:

Is that it? Thought it would be more than that.

Still terrible, pointless, and needless.

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

Presumption of someone casing a construction home is not reasonable cause a felony occurred, nor is it any crime unless, and this is a stretch, but trespassing. A misd. offense committed in their presence would establish grounds for a citizens arrest. The whole armed citizen chasing down someone for looking at a construction home will not have any jury appeal. Lastly, there will be a credible grounds for defense in regards to the actual struggle over the gun. I think the best scenario is to seek manslaughter charges.

In your opinion do you think the struggle over the firearm is what caused the guy to get shot?

I'm just asking because I am having flashbacks of Trayvon Martin, where they said he'd still be alive if he just kept walking or ignored Zimmerman instead of confronting him.

Obviously it's a little different in Florida because they have the stand your ground rule, right?

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

I guess this must be the 'freedom' you red necks are always crowing about.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2083 Posts

This is why I'm happy to live in Australia where stuff like this rarely happens.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@mrbojangles25: I believe that is the current defense. However, that is telling me the shotgun safety was off and finger on the trigger, which could aptly establish examples of gross negligence.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LJS9502_basic

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

@mrbojangles25: I believe that is the current defense. However, that is telling me the shotgun safety was off and finger on the trigger, which could aptly establish examples of gross negligence.

What about intent? They were stalking him as well.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7035 Posts

Usually a father and son would do positive things together. Is it different in Georgia?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127536 Posts

It took an outrage on social media to get this to happen???

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@LJS9502_basic: It would be against call-taker advice to follow any suspect. Our 911 operators always tell the witnesses do not follow.

They will argue they were simply trying to effect a citizens arrest. Following by itself is a huge stretch to argue premeditated murder.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38699 Posts

i'm a bit ignorant of the law here but if there is a scenario like this where armed individuals tried to apprehend a person, that person naturally fought back and was killed for fighting back, does a self-defense argument still hold for the shooter?

if you put yourself in the situation where YOU are the agressor / confronter but then have to kill someone else because they retaliate, is that really self-defense?

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@comp_atkins: The window of "self defense" isn't exactly an easy open-shut notion. For example, a victim can quickly turn into a suspect once the threshold of "defense" is replaced with "offense." It's all about proportionate response and the fluidity of it. The facts leading up to this event (totality, bigger picture) will be important along with the mindset at the time of the discharge of the firearm.

To answer your question, creating an exigency gets law enforcement in hot water due to higher expectations. A citizen though who in their eyes are effecting a (weak) citizens arrest, there will undoubtedly be civil liability if the criminal side falls through. Again, if the actual foundation of wanting to effect an arrest falls apart (or being the "aggressor"), then I see the gross negligence being at the forefront.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56534 Posts

These guys actively ran down a man and murdered him. Even if the dude was a burglar, (which I don't believe for a second) you cannot give chase and gun him down. Absolutely devastating news and if they had shot him in the leg and still breathing, all of this would've be such a big deal.

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

In your opinion do you think the struggle over the firearm is what caused the guy to get shot?

I'm just asking because I am having flashbacks of Trayvon Martin, where they said he'd still be alive if he just kept walking or ignored Zimmerman instead of confronting him.

Obviously it's a little different in Florida because they have the stand your ground rule, right?

I live in Atlanta GA, under GA law, a person performing a citizen arrest is allowed to pursue someone that they have witness or have proof committed a crime. But however, I also have the rights to stand my ground until police arrives. The thing is though, they purely chased him down out of suspicion. No witness or proof is the problem here.

It needs to be pointed out that in a citizen arrest, private citizens do not get the same legal liability protections that law enforcement get. If you violate their civil rights in the process in any way, the State isn’t coming to rescue you and that extends to if you apprehend the wrong guy. You will get slapped with false imprisonment charges!

TomaLevine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TomaLevine
Member since 2019 • 444 Posts

Meanwhile black on white crime greatly eclipses white on black. But what does the media report on?

Oh yeah, (((they))) hate white people

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By VirusVaccine21
Member since 2020 • 748 Posts

@tomalevine said:

Meanwhile black on white crime greatly eclipses white on black. But what does the media report on?

You have to be an absolute filth and trash of a human being to post that, which is unrelated to this incident - which regardless of political sides, is a heinous and disgusting act.

That and alongside your worthless threads and I'm not sure why you're even on these forums.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MirkoS77

I predict these guys will get off due to the focusing on Abbey grabbing for the gun. That a defense of “stand your ground” can be furthered with a straight face in disregard of the circumstances leading up to it just goes to show how fucked our justice system truly is. These guys chased an innocent man down who was only going on a run and shoved a 12 gauge barrel in his face for something they “suspected” with the only basis for that belief being the pigment of his skin. You never can predict what someone will do when you pull a gun on them. I don’t blame Abbey at all, even if he did go for the gun. Given the situation, being run down and confronted, I probably would’ve as well.

This isn’t his fault. He was mindful of his own business, this was a run he’d taken numerous times before, and if these racist twats had minded their own business towards a man who’d made this run MANY times prior instead of letting their racist beliefs take over, he’d still be alive. Looking at the pictures of the father and son, these guys are the poster boys of redneck KKK if I’ve ever seen it.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127536 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

I predict these guys will get off due to the focusing on Abbey grabbing for the gun. That a defense of “stand your ground” can be furthered with a straight face in disregard of the circumstances leading up to it just goes to show how fucked our justice system truly is. These guys chased an innocent man down who was only going on a run and shoved a 12 gauge barrel in his face for something they “suspected” with the only basis for that belief being the pigment of his skin. You never can predict what someone will do when you pull a gun on them. I don’t blame Abbey at all, even if he did go for the gun. Given the situation, being run down and confronted, I probably would’ve as well.

This isn’t his fault. He was mindful of his own business, this was a run he’d taken numerous times before, and if these racist twats had minded their own business towards a man who’d made this run MANY times prior instead of letting their racist beliefs take over, he’d still be alive. Looking at the pictures of the father and son, these guys are the poster boys of redneck KKK if I’ve ever seen it.

So forcing a situation to legally kill someone?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LJS9502_basic

@horgen said:
@MirkoS77 said:

So forcing a situation to legally kill someone?

Seems to me he was trying to defend himself from the racist rednecks...…….

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MirkoS77

@horgen: yes, essentially. At least that’s what the defense is looking to be at this point.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 24000 Posts

@tomalevine said:

*Anti-Semitism*

Nobody cares about that in this topic. Hate Crimes happen all the time, unfortunately. The reason this has been getting so much attention is how long it took for anything to be done.

And stop with the anti-semitic dogwhislting. Seriously.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mrbojangles25

@virusvaccine21 said:
@tomalevine said:

You have to be an absolute filth and trash of a human being to post that, which is unrelated to this incident - which regardless of political sides, is a heinous and disgusting act.

That and alongside your worthless threads and I'm not sure why you're even on these forums.

Yeah, that was pretty awful. I don't want to bandwagon too much so I will just leave it at that.

@Maroxad said:
@tomalevine said:

...Hate Crimes happen all the time, unfortunately....

I read today that Georgia doesn't actually have any hate crime laws. So the possibility of these guys getting slapped with a racially motivated anything is zero....which is unfortunate because it most definitely was racially motivated.

Not trying to make any grand statement on society, but the dude would be alive if he was white.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

@Xabiss: that was a solid take 100% on point. After I looked into this story I was on the same vibe as these guys here. Its sad this happened, but mistakes made by both parties and unfortunately a man lost his life.

Going off what ive read, and because the struggle over the gun is on tape... It will probably be manslaughter charges. They should have never gone for a citizen arrest over something that trivial and carried a gun towards him. Should have waited on police and just followed at most.

Aubrey made a bad judgement call trying to take the guys gun by fighting over it.

What a mess

And the last part was on point as well, where they talk about how the media responds to stories of homicide when its white vs black compared to when its one of the more common cases of white vs white or black vs black incidents or Latino vs Latino. The media really doesnt gaf about those cases. Not like they do the "race war" cases of homicide. Someone already mentioned earlier in this thread that there was over 15,000 last year true. The media will focus extra on 3-5 of those cases throughout the year. They will all share a similiar theme.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@mrbojangles25 said:

Yeah, that was pretty awful. I don't want to bandwagon too much so I will just leave it at that.

I read today that Georgia doesn't actually have any hate crime laws. So the possibility of these guys getting slapped with a racially motivated anything is zero....which is unfortunate because it most definitely was racially motivated.

Not trying to make any grand statement on society, but the dude would be alive if he was white.

Is there evidence this was racially motivated?

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2154 Posts

@Xabiss: Their point about this being in the news just because the murderers are white was pure nonsense, because in reality, this is in the new because they got away with it for two months just because the father is an ex cop and knows the prosecutors. Sure, if the killers were anything other than white, this would not be in the news, but not because of race, but because they would have been arrested on the spot.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mrbojangles25

@Stevo_the_gamer said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Fair point, I should have made clear the above is my opinion, and not make it sound like fact.

Evidence aside, do you think this is not racially motivated? I'm sorry but I just have a really difficult time believing that a white guy jogging....jogging, not running, you know, like running frantically away from a crime...would have been shot.

Either way, there's a lot of spin you can put on this:

• it was racially motivated killing and these two white folk are klan members or something
  • the dude really did look like the criminal and this was just a tragic misunderstanding.
  • Young black males are taught to resist authority and if he just stopped and talked instead of wrestling for the gun everything would be fine.
  • Etc, etc....

I guess we will have to wait for evidence and a trial (if that even happens) to get the actual answer. Until then I am just speculating.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

@jeezers said:

@Xabiss: that was a solid take 100% on point. After I looked into this story I was on the same vibe as these guys here. Its sad this happened, but mistakes made by both parties and unfortunately a man lost his life.

Going off what ive read, and because the struggle over the gun is on tape... It will probably be manslaughter charges. They should have never gone for a citizen arrest over something that trivial and carried a gun towards him. Should have waited on police and just followed at most.

Aubrey made a bad judgement call trying to take the guys gun by fighting over it.

What a mess

And the last part was on point as well, where they talk about how the media responds to stories of homicide when its white vs black compared to when its one of the more common cases of white vs white or black vs black incidents or Latino vs Latino. The media really doesnt gaf about those cases. Not like they do the "race war" cases of homicide. Someone already mentioned earlier in this thread that there was over 15,000 last year true. The media will focus extra on 3-5 of those cases throughout the year. They will all share a similiar theme.

I mean if you're jogging down the street when a truck pulls up and a occupant jumps out with a shotgun aimed at you, I'm fairly certain many would either go on the attack as means of defending themselves or run, which could've prompted them to either give chase with the truck or shoot him in the back because " The suspect began to flee"

So he would've been maybe alive in one scenario and dead in the other two. So as far as judgement calls make, it's highly understandable why he reacted the way he did.

What isn't sound judgement is arming yourself and chasing after someone cause you think he might look like someone who committed burglary. If that is then best to make yourself look as distinguishable as possible so you won't be mistaken for anyone else.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@jeezers said:

What a mess

It was a bigger deal than it should have been because the guys were not arrested right away. It took months and for the video to be leaked.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

Wow, cant believe people on here are defending those guys, America is sick.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ecb2e9232c57
deactivated-5ecb2e9232c57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#37 deactivated-5ecb2e9232c57
Member since 2019 • 653 Posts

@tenaka2 said:

Agreed.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

The retards in my family who are defending these fuckers are also trump-loving Republicans. Coincidence?

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@mrbojangles25 said:
@Stevo_the_gamer said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Fair point, I should have made clear the above is my opinion, and not make it sound like fact.

Evidence aside, do you think this is not racially motivated? I'm sorry but I just have a really difficult time believing that a white guy jogging....jogging, not running, you know, like running frantically away from a crime...would have been shot.

Either way, there's a lot of spin you can put on this:

• it was racially motivated killing and these two white folk are klan members or something
  • the dude really did look like the criminal and this was just a tragic misunderstanding.
  • Young black males are taught to resist authority and if he just stopped and talked instead of wrestling for the gun everything would be fine.
  • Etc, etc....

I guess we will have to wait for evidence and a trial (if that even happens) to get the actual answer. Until then I am just speculating.

I'm not one to pander to identity divisiveness solely on immutable characteristics, especially when there are no facts to establish any racism. The outrage "reeee" bandwagon will do their thing, especially in a Twittersphere where they get off on driving a wedge.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

"Ex-cop"

Well, that says pretty much everything right there.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LJS9502_basic

@jeezers said:

Perhaps he was trying to defend himself against thugs that were chasing him and now had a gun pointed at him.

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 VirusVaccine21

@tenaka2 said:

Dude, are you honestly surprised. Do you honestly think people follow Trump because of his economic policies? He literally has no policies. They defend him because of other reasons.

narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#43  Edited By narlymech
Member since 2009 • 2132 Posts

@kadin_kai said:

Yeah. I never quite understood why one killing gets news coverage, as if it's special. Killing is killing. I guess it's all polotics and if they can use somebody they do.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LJS9502_basic

@narlymech said:
@kadin_kai said:

Yeah. I never quite understood why one killing gets news coverage, as if it's special. Killing is killing. I guess it's all polotics and if they can use somebody they do.

One killing? False. Gun deaths are reported.

narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By narlymech

@LJS9502_basic said:
@narlymech said:
@kadin_kai said:

Yeah, but certain killings get publicized more than others. That's what I meant to say.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 LJS9502_basic

@narlymech said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Yeah, but certain killings get publicized more than others. That's what I meant to say.

Because the circumstances. And why is that a problem? An ex cop getting off due to ties is a story.

narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 narlymech

@LJS9502_basic said:
@narlymech said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Because the circumstances. And why is that a problem? An ex cop getting off due to ties is a story.

I guess so, but there's alot of polotics involved due to the polotical nature of reporting these days.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7035 Posts

@jeezers said:

The media knows it can't enrage certain communities by reporting black on black shootings as it does with white on black.

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 VirusVaccine21

As a leftist, here's my take:

Maybe, he committed a minor crime - we don't know that yet. We simply don't know. However, they called the cops. Why did they feel to follow him? Much less shoot him. It was absolutely inane.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 LJS9502_basic

@virusvaccine21 said:

As a leftist, here's my take:

Maybe, he committed a minor crime - we don't know that yet. We simply don't know. However, they called the cops. Why did they feel to follow him? Much less shoot him. It was absolutely inane.

He didn't commit a crime. Have you listened to the 911 call?