Republican candidate for special house election in montana bodyslams a reporter. Fox news team witnessed the attack.

• 61 results
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By super600  Moderator  Online
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

So when a reporter from theguardian ben jacobs asked the republican candidate Greg Gianforte a question at a campaign event at his campaign headquarter he got bodyslamed by him. The special election for the house seat vacated by Ryan Zinke is being held tommorrow. The election looks close according to internal polling from democrats and republicans. Audio of the altercation is in theguardian article linked below.

Link

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/24/greg-gianforte-bodyslams-reporter-ben-jacobs-montana?CMP=edit_2221

Update:

People reporting for fox news were in the room when the attack occurred. Here is what they had to say. This does not look good for Gianforte.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/05/24/greg-gianforte-fox-news-team-witnesses-gop-house-candidate-body-slam-reporter.html

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

America lol

resevl4rlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By resevl4rlz
Member since 2005 • 3848 Posts

before the audio was released

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhoH4v8xYlU

link to audio

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23051 Posts

Wow, this guy is disgusting.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

Absolute craziness

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

I'll be honest....kind of impressed. Should have given him the Macho Man's elbow drop to get the 3 count.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3747 Posts

LOCK HIM UP!

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@n64dd said:

I'll be honest....kind of impressed. Should have given him the Macho Man's elbow drop to get the 3 count.

Stone Cold stunner imo.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 N64DD

@zaryia said:
@n64dd said:

Stone Cold stunner imo.

People's Elbow? He had so many options.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

@tjandmia said:

LOCK HIM UP!

I was gonna ask, doesn't this count as physical assault? And can't you go to jail for that?

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By tjandmia

@Serraph105: You'd think, but it is a backward red state, and he's rich....and white, so who knows.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 N64DD

@tjandmia said:

@Serraph105: You'd think, but it is a backward red state, and he's rich....and white, so who knows.

Oh look! A shit poster!

Bullet_Sponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bullet_Sponge
Member since 2003 • 3579 Posts

Heh. The election is tomorrow, and the MT Dems seemed determined to lose from the beginning with their nomination of Rob Quist. I'd be shocked (though happy) if Gianforte loses, but I don't hold much hope for that.

These events brought to you by the same state whose recent political events have included a secretary riding a horse through Washington DC and a state congressman shooting down drones with a rifle in his campaign ads.

Glad to see my state getting some love on the national stage!

Edit: Gianforte lost the governor's race in November, so part of me wants him to lose solely so I can see what office he tries to buy next.

Bullet_Sponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bullet_Sponge

Also, one of my friends who is intimately connected with the legal scene in Bozeman just told me Gianforte has been arrested and charged with assault in Gallatin County. A large part of my drunken self feels bad about putting forth this type of gossip, but given the nature of this forum, who cares.

D'oh, only cited for a misdemeanor.

resevl4rlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 resevl4rlz
Member since 2005 • 3848 Posts

if this guy gets convicted he either gets 6 months in jail or a $500 dollar fee

Bullet_Sponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Bullet_Sponge

The guy is worth hundreds of millions of dollars. He's not going to jail.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By super600  Moderator  Online
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@Bullet_Sponge said:

Yep,but he may be affected by what he did yesterday for the rest of his political career

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tjandmia

He was cited by police. Just a fine. No justice for victims in backwards red states. Now he gets to settle a civil suit.

I guess assaulting someone like that isn't a felony in backwards red states.

Bullet_Sponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bullet_Sponge

@super600 said:
@Bullet_Sponge said:

Yep,but he may be affected by what he did yesterday for the rest of his political career

I hope he doesn't have a political career. The guy is a clown.

But...

Montana goes through a version of this every election cycle. Like most rural states who have seen their agrarian way of life ravaged by globalization and industrial farms, they're stuck between reminiscing about "Montana values" (whatever this even means) and the need for "good jobs." In the 21st century, it's hard to have both.

One of my sisters is a lawyer and the other a microbiologist, and both of them left the state because it was just way easier, given their skills, to make money on the west coast. In this regard, Gianforte, who made his fortune in the tech industry, IS a good representative of new, high-paying jobs, yet those jobs - that often rely on non-Montana workers - have driven up real estate prices in areas like Bozeman, rendering that Montanan way of life impossible for a a lot of _____ generation folks who are seeing an influx of those dastardly "out of staters."

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By R3FURBISHED

@Bullet_Sponge said:

But...

Montana goes through a version of this every election cycle. Like most rural states who have seen their agrarian way of life ravaged by globalization and industrial farms, they're stuck between reminiscing about "Montana values" (whatever this even means) and the need for "good jobs." In the 21st century, it's hard to have both.

One of my sisters is a lawyer and the other a microbiologist, and both of them left the state because it was just way easier, given their skills, to make money on the west coast. In this regard, Gianforte, who made his fortune in the tech industry, IS a good representative of new, high-paying jobs, yet those jobs - that often rely on non-Montana workers - have driven up real estate prices in areas like Bozeman, rendering that Montanan way of life impossible for a a lot of _____ generation folks who are seeing an influx of those dastardly "out of staters."

Stick to the beginning of your comment, and get rid of the rest. Making an argument for throwing the baby out with the bathwater doesn't help.

Bullet_Sponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Bullet_Sponge

@R3FURBISHED said:
@Bullet_Sponge said:

But...

Stick to the beginning of your comment, and get rid of the rest. Making an argument for throwing the baby out with the bathwater doesn't help.

How am I throwing the baby out with the bathwater? (I may or may not be drunk, so I'm not trying to be combative)

You can easily say the same (yet different) things about Quist. He's a successful musician who plays upon a uniquely Montanan mystique. In terms of financial status, he's vastly more representative of MT than Gianforte could ever hope to be. Regarding "Montana values," his persona is spot-on.

But...

His performances in debates and public speaking engagements have been entirely underwhelming. And if you put a gun to my head, while I think Gianforte's views on things like science are comical and dangerous, he can point to actual results, in terms of bringing money to this state. MT industry has been, and continues to be, antiquated; Gianforte's past addresses this while Quist's doesn't. My point in this, while I didn't expand upon it in my initial comment, was that this race seems to illustrate, in a very strong way, the struggles an often-forgotten state has wrestled with for the last 30 years.

Don't get me wrong. I'm sure as shit not voting for Gianforte tomorrow (though in fairness, nothing that has happened in the last 24 hours has affected this).

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 R3FURBISHED

@Bullet_Sponge: may or may not be drunk? Thats funny.

I just mean you say he's a whack-job but one that might be able to better the job market in Montana (and if that is the case why run for federal office -- why not state?)

Why would a Montanan want their Representative to be so thin-skinned that he can't tolerate a question regarding his parties most major (and controversial) piece of legislation by electing someone who sees choke slamming a journalist as an acceptable action.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I've always heard you can't hit a woman...

Bodyslamming? That's different. Never heard any rules against that.

Bullet_Sponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Bullet_Sponge

@R3FURBISHED said:

@Bullet_Sponge: may or may not be drunk? Thats funny.

I just mean you say he's a whack-job but one that might be able to better the job market in Montana (and if that is the case why run for federal office -- why not state?)

Why would a Montanan want their Representative to be so thin-skinned that he can't tolerate a question regarding his parties most major (and controversial) piece of legislation by electing someone who sees choke slamming a journalist as an acceptable action.

I don't have an answer for you . You'd need to find some Gianforte supporters. I didn't vote for the guy in November, and I'm not voting for him now.

My guess would be the line goes like this though: "Rob Quist doesn't pay his bills, isn't an actual sportsman, and wants to take away my guns. Gianforte ran a successful business and supports my Christian values. He's what we need moving forward!" I think that's a VAST oversimplification of issues MT faces, but hey, that's what we do in politics.

I think both candidates ran TV commercials that involved them shooting televisions with shotguns too. /facepalm

doomdizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 doomdizzle
Member since 2017 • 528 Posts

So the new Far Cry isn't that far off the mark afterall

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127526 Posts
@KHAndAnime said:

Always nice with a physical assault to sprite things up, right?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#27 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

That's just so incredibly bizarre. Poor impulse control. It's amazing that someone would just throw away their career that easily.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Assault gone sexual.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Zaryia

@KHAndAnime said:

Just stop.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#30 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Bodyslammed? Are you sure he didn't just fall on top of the reporter? :p

In any case, no biggie...just following the president's example. Apparently Trump's pushing prime-ministers out of the way so he can be at the front of the group for the photos. Classy!

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38688 Posts

the fucked up thing is this will get him MORE support.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mattbbpl

@comp_atkins said:

I was thinking the same thing.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@mattbbpl said:
@comp_atkins said:

They post the results yet?

He's already been charged with assault which means he'll inevitably have a court hearing. Will be interesting to see what happens to his position when that happens (given that he wins).

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

Just saw this on phillip Defranco, it's funny he could still win the vote. Though too be honest I've wanted to kick the shit out of a Journalist especially those at Buzzfeed, BBC, Sky news, Fox, CNN etc.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mattbbpl

@HoolaHoopMan said:
@mattbbpl said:
@comp_atkins said:

They post the results yet?

He's already been charged with assault which means he'll inevitably have a court hearing. Will be interesting to see what happens to his position when that happens (given that he wins).

Apparently, if he wins the net effect will be nothing according to an ethics expert:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/gianforte-face-discipline-elected-ethics-expert/story?id=47649208

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

I hope this means we can expect a Far Cry 5 cameo from this guy.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58489 Posts

@resevl4rlz said:

link to audio

Dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmn...so not only outright assault, but lying about it (is that fraud?). And a public official, no less.

If this does not result in some sort of jail time, I will be disappointed. At the very least I want to see him on the side of the road for 20 hours a month picking up garbage in an orange vest. At the very least.

@n64dd said:
@zaryia said:
@n64dd said:

Stone Cold stunner imo.

People's Elbow? He had so many options.

The Gianforte Enforcer?

Gianforte-Guardian Gainer Assault?

The Liberal Libel Leaping Clothesline Attack?

Idunno this guy has a future. Look at that mug, too!

This Summer, he's gonna reach through your screens and beat the SJW outta you, hippie! Only on Pay Per View! $89.99...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@resevl4rlz said:

link to audio

That statement is absolutely incredible. We really are in a post fact world where politicians can say and do whatever they want without any kind of consequences. And then you have his Republican colleagues not coming out to condemn him and if anything minimizing the situation. What kind of party does the GOP want to be where assault and violence is totally within the realm of reasonable behaviour?

And that bit in the statement about "liberal journalist" just bothers me... it implies what he did is somehow okay because the reporter is supposedly a liberal. That campaign statement is very clearly framed to Gianforte's base. Jacob's question wasn't even aggressive - it was a typical question an elected official would receive.

And then Gianforte goes on to lie about it knowing the people who watch FOX News and read Breitbart will believe everything he says despite Jacob's view of the incident was corroborated by everyone around them + there is audio evidence of it. How the heck do you persuade someone like that with facts?

A politician has committed misdemeanour assault and he is being defended. I'm in disbelief but at this point I really shouldn't be. Where do we go from here? Is Trump going to prove his theory about shooting someone on Fifth Avenue and not losing his core support?

Apparently most of the vote is already in due to early voting and mail-in ballots. Gianforte may actually win this thing but it is quite telling that's as close as it is. The Democrats seem to be making gains quite fast, and in GOP territory no less.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Zaryia

This guy is actually winning as of right now.

These red voters don't care for their own well being (constantly voting in people who keep their states/counties the poorest and dumbest in the nation), so of course they don't care about voting in some violent goon.

PraetorianMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By PraetorianMan
Member since 2011 • 2073 Posts

The general pundit consensus is that if this guy wins with less than a 10 point lead that might be an extremely bad sign for the GOP given that Trump won this area by 20 points. Only winning by 5, for example, means that the GOP is underperforming by 15 points.

Granted, its also extremely hard to tell where the GOP problems end and the assault thing begins.

EDIT: Looks like the Repub is going to win by something along the lines of 6 points. Still a win... but the fact that a Republican in Montana only won by 6 points should maybe have some conservatives a little worried. This is on the same level as a tea-partier being competitive in LA or New York.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mattbbpl

@perfect_blue: I'm not exaggerating when I say this party is insane. People keep acting shocked, but it's no longer surprising. This is who they are.

Bullet_Sponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Bullet_Sponge

Meh. Gianforte won. Gross.

MT sending democrats to DC isn't all that uncommon. It's a devoutly red state in terms of presidential elections, but you can do quite well as a MT Democrat, Quist notwithstanding.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Gee, it's almost as if people care about politics and not the drama that these effeminate liberals seem to live for. Who woulda thunk?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@mattbbpl said:

@perfect_blue: I'm not exaggerating when I say this part is insane. People keep acting shocked, but it's no longer surprising. This is who they are.

You are right. It's just shocking to me as a Canadian to watch the shenanigans going down south of the border.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#45 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Should spend a couple of nights in the slammer. Freedom of speech and the press is very important to any democracy and this needs to be protected.

doomdizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 doomdizzle
Member since 2017 • 528 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

Gee, it's almost as if people care about politics and not the drama that these effeminate liberals seem to live for. Who woulda thunk?

Assault is just drama to you? What an odd mind you have

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178865 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

Apparently they don't care about criminal behavior.........which is a damn shame.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts
@KHAndAnime said:

Reverse political affiliation and you'd be singing a very different tune.

Gianforte sounds like an asshole but I am no longer surprised with the Republican Party's disdain for the Constitution.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

I really hope certain people in journalism and media aren't shocked when they've recently advocated punching Nazis.... Given that they think anyone that disagrees with them is a Nazi....

Hmmm why didn't the media freak out when a Democrat congressman assaulted a student journalist on video?

https://twitter.com/kwilli1046/status/868200095342350336

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7035 Posts

Is "body slam" being used in the literal sense or the media interpretation?