I thought the Economy is getting better? CNBC reports a Recession is coming next year

• 69 results
FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/10/inflation-consumer-woe-add-to-worries-that-recession-is-already-here.html

• Reports Friday showing blistering inflation and historic lows in consumer sentiment painted an increasingly dark economic picture.
  • A strong labor market has been the principal firewall against a downturn, but even that has shown some c****s lately.
  • “We’re in technical recession but just don’t realize it,” said Bank of America chief investment strategist Michael Hartnett.
SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8446 Posts

Yeah

it's trash 👍

Wonder where matt is. He usually is here shilling for Bidens trash economy.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3752 Posts

A recession next year? That's a half a year away. 🤣

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

@sargentd said:

Yeah

it's trash 👍

Probably still recovering from the last time Kadin beat their asses on economics.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178886 Posts

Prediction? I'll wait and see if it's reality. But do clutch your pearls.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58557 Posts

I'm at the age now (close to 40) where I view these things as cyclical; I've seen enough of them in my adult life to know it's just part of the routine. Just bide your time, don't look at your savings (if you even have any), and watch your month-to-month finances.

My concern however is the potential for "stagflation". However unemployment is pretty low and people are still consuming, so I don't think this is likely.

I don't imagine things will get as bad as they did in 2008. If you're looking for someone to blame, blame Putin I guess or the oligarchs that actually run things.

@LJS9502_basic said:

Prediction? I'll wait and see if it's reality. But do clutch your pearls.

lol right?

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts
@sargentd said:

He usually is here shilling for Bidens trash economy.

Oddly enough it's still better than Trump's so far. Too bad about the global inflation.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FireEmblem_Man

@zaryia said:
@sargentd said:

Oddly enough it's still better than Trump's so far. Too bad about the global inflation.

It sure is

-

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

There's absolutely a good chance for a recession in the next year or so. But I have to ask when CNBC started to become citable for Trump sycophants? I thought the MSM was beneath you, or is it OK to cite it when it benefits you?

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3702 Posts

The best recovery ever.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FireEmblem_Man

@HoolaHoopMan said:

There's absolutely a good chance for a recession in the next year or so. But I have to ask when CNBC started to become citable for Trump sycophants? I thought the MSM was beneath you, or is it OK to cite it when it benefits you?

Maybe learn to actually let people that don't align with your political thoughts and engage instead of pretending that politics is like system wars?

https://datavisualizations.heritage.org/markets-and-finance/the-biden-inflation-tracker/

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 HoolaHoopMan

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

Maybe learn to actually let people that don't align with your political thoughts and engage instead of pretending that politics is like system wars?

https://datavisualizations.heritage.org/markets-and-finance/the-biden-inflation-tracker/

What are you talking about? I'm actively agreeing with the basic premise of the article you linked (in some form). I'm simply musing over the use of CNBC as a source given MAGA mouth breathers insistence that the MSM is 'bad'.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Eoten

@HoolaHoopMan said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

What are you talking about? I'm actively agreeing with the basic premise of the article you linked (in some form). I'm simply musing over the use of CNBC as a source given MAGA mouth breathers insistence that the MSM is 'bad'.

The important thing is YOU believe they are credible.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Zaryia
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

Why is that called "Biden Inflation Tracker", the US inflation (and global) started in 2020.

Oh wait, The Heritage Foundation. And here I thought you were going to find a non Cult member source. Ironic considering the bullshit spiel you wrote before linking it.

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@zaryia said:
@sargentd said:

It sure is

I addressed that global covid caused issue that started in 2020 in bold. Apart from that, yeah it's better.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38699 Posts

lol everyone acting like we've never been in a recession before.

grow up, kids.

if this quarter's GDP growth is negative then we're already in one.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23065 Posts

That tends to happen when implement contractionary fiscal and monetary policy.

@sargentd said:

Yeah

it's trash 👍

Oh, I give Trump plenty of credit as well. The CARES Act was the first volley into backfilling the fallen demand, resulting in the fast GDP recovery and job growth.

As for where I've been, it's the swim team season. Time is often short these days.

@comp_atkins said:

grow up, kids.

Yeah, people are still scarred from the Great Recession. Most recessions are not The Great Depression or The Great Recession.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SargentD

@mattbbpl: hey I agree the Cares act is partially to blame. The lockdowns were very much to blame. Never should of been done. Now we get to feel the pain.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23065 Posts

@sargentd said:

@mattbbpl: hey I agree the Cares act is partially to blame. The lockdowns were very much to blame. Never should of been done. Now we get to feel the pain.

Do you miss the pain of the unnecessarily long and deep 2008-2009 recession that much?

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 HoolaHoopMan

@mattbbpl said:
@sargentd said:

Do you miss the pain of the unnecessarily long and deep 2008-2009 recession that much?

I certainly don't. The problem here is we overcorrected with an economy that rebounded faster. Still, if you were to let me choose I'd pick today any day of the week. Horsesh*t austerity measures cause too much undue pain and prolonged post 2008 recovery.

Plus, as I've mentioned before, people are actually polling very well for their own financial well being. The highest point since 2013. Their 'sentiment' as measured in the OP is a conflicting narrative where everyone is doom and gloom about the big picture.....but they're doing personally fine. This is what a constant barrage of negative and partisan discourse gets us. The big question is whether or not that negative consumer sentiment will translate into reduced spending.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/publications/files/2021-report-economic-well-being-us-households-202205.pdf

"The share of adults doing at least okay financially rose to the highest level since the survey began in 2013.2 Although financial challenges and risks to the recovery remain, this generally positive assessment of financial well-being was consistent with improved economic conditions and additional COVID-19 relief measures in 2021. The increase in financial well-being occurred broadly across the population and was especially large among parents. Even so, existing gaps by education and by race and ethnicity persisted."

"At the end of 2021, 78 percent of adults were doing at least okay financially, meaning they reported either “doing okay” financially (39 percent) or “living comfortably” (39 percent). The rest reported either “just getting by” (16 percent) or “finding it difficult to get by” (6 percent). The 78 percent of adults doing at least okay financially in 2021 was up 3 percentage points from 2020 and was well above the 62 percent doing at least this well in 2013."

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#20 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41600 Posts

I find it funny you're citing an outlet you would find "fake news"...

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nintendoboy16
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

Oh yeah, because we all know you're an angel on that front...

You're basically that one comic/meme where a Christian wacks someone with a big cross and lays insults, but when the victim fights back, he panics and says "Let's be civil".

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16621 Posts

doubt it. These banks are dumb af. After the two years we had of lockdowns, shutdowns etc, the demand and activity will literally push everything else aside, even inflation. The problem is supply right now, and the russia/ukraine was is making it all the worse.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3499 Posts

I am blaming Russia for causing oil and petrol prices to skyrocket.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Eoten

ROFLMAO at people still blaming Covid, and Russia. What's the next excuse? The red spot on Jupiter disappears for a couple weeks?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127536 Posts

@eoten said:

ROFLMAO at people still blaming Covid, and Russia. What's the next excuse? The red spot on Jupiter disappears for a couple weeks?

What are your suggestions then?

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FireEmblem_Man

@nintendoboy16: And you’re not saint neither

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By nintendoboy16

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@nintendoboy16: And you’re not saint neither

I'm not the one preaching moral messages after siding with folks that said "let's be less politically correct."

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Eoten

@horgen said:
@eoten said:

Well, the administration can take responsibility for example. What is their plan? More drilling? Ramp up production? Incentivize more output? Nope, none of that, not a fucking thing but "it's Putin's fault" and "but..but... COVID!" They're excuses, sad attempts to shift blame. And that's on top of the massive inflation we told you people we were going to be suffering if we continued to pass $2 trillion spending bills most of which was pork and nonsense that helped nobody.

Inflation and gas prices are both explicitly the fault of poor leadership at the federal level, and Covid, and Putin are excuses, nothing more.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LJS9502_basic

@eoten said:
@horgen said:
@eoten said:

Well, the administration can take responsibility for example. What is their plan? More drilling? Ramp up production? Incentivize more output? Nope, none of that, not a fucking thing but "it's Putin's fault" and "but..but... COVID!" They're excuses, sad attempts to shift blame. And that's on top of the massive inflation we told you people we were going to be suffering if we continued to pass $2 trillion spending bills most of which was pork and nonsense that helped nobody.

Inflation and gas prices are both explicitly the fault of poor leadership at the federal level, and Covid, and Putin are excuses, nothing more.

There are 9000 leases that have not been used. Also the government doesn't own the oil industry. How bizarre that you thin they do.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3752 Posts
@eoten said:
@horgen said:
@eoten said:

You guys spend every waking moment extolling the virtues of the free market its principles, and its independence from government, until the moment that same free market becomes inconvenient, then all of a sudden you claim government has been running it behind the scenes all along, as if the American president is sitting behind his desk all day on the phone making private financial and operational decisions for multinational oil companies.

The federal government doesn't make plans for private industry.

Do you not see how completely absurd this narrative looks to normal, well adjusted people with the ability to think critically?

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

@vl4d_l3nin said:

The best recovery ever.

Now that's funny!

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 horgen  Moderator

@eoten said:
@horgen said:
@eoten said:

It's the oil companies who doesn't want to drill more. Should government override their decisions?

Inflation is an issue worldwide.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LJS9502_basic

@horgen said:
@eoten said:
@horgen said:
@eoten said:

It's the oil companies who doesn't want to drill more. Should government override their decisions?

Inflation is an issue worldwide.

Sounds like the right really does want socialism.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3527 Posts

Of course this will be politicised, at this point is to be expected.

But either you have a left or right wing government there's probably a global recession coming your way. This is how populism rises, when the answer to an issue is not simply binary and people start looking for saviours and their magical "solutions".

I really hope the republican party has more than Trump to offer because it will be a global catastrophe, made worse because he probably is unelectable vs Biden. So in the current context it's Biden or worse.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 horgen  Moderator

@LJS9502_basic said:

Sounds like the right really does want socialism.

For me, not for thee. Don't forget that.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SargentD
Loading Video...

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7035 Posts

@eoten said:

"I'll take responsibility. I'll acknowledge my mistakes when I make them. And I'll level with the American people."

"I’ll take responsibility instead of blaming others."

Two laughable quotes by then candidate Biden which we knew would be boldfaced lies. Another $1.2 billion in aid to Ukraine was announced today. Nothing is going on here at home, thankfully!

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Eoten

@Solaryellow said:
@eoten said:

"I'll take responsibility. I'll acknowledge my mistakes when I make them. And I'll level with the American people."

"I’ll take responsibility instead of blaming others."

Two laughable quotes by then candidate Biden which we knew would be boldfaced lies. Another $1.2 billion in aid to Ukraine was announced today. Nothing is going on here at home, thankfully!

Yup, not sure he has ever told the truth in his life. Well, the stuff he probably truly believed.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FireEmblem_Man

@horgen: How’s Germany? I heard they’re restarting their coal burning plants again

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/19/world/europe/germany-russia-gas.html

Archived version to bypass paywall

https://archive.ph/ONAwp

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Zaryia
@eoten said:

ROFLMAO at people still blaming Covid, and Russia. What's the next excuse?

Yeah, the possible global recession and global gas price issues....caused by Biden?

This guy gas-lights in every thread he posts in at this point. How someone can be so wrong all the time is amazing actually.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 horgen  Moderator

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@horgen: How’s Germany? I heard they’re restarting their coal burning plants again

Eh not sure what you trying go for here. I live in a country with hydro and windpower enough to sell to Germany among other countries.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#42 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49606 Posts

@horgen said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

Eh not sure what you trying go for here. I live in a country with hydro and windpower enough to sell to Germany among other countries.

Was he trying to compare Germany to Norway? Do you think your country's power output could remain on course with it's hydropower and wind to supply power to... Let's say 12x it's current energy output? A tiny 5 million compares to 83 million people is quite the difference.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 FireEmblem_Man

@horgen said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

Yeah, you live in a country with up to 5.5 million vs 83 million which is Germany. Guess Renewables only works well with smaller populated countries

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 horgen  Moderator

@Stevo_the_gamer: per capita Norway uses over 3 times more than Germany.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1262218/per-capita-electricity-consumption-europe-by-country/

Why Germany thought it was a good idea to shut down its nuclear power I can not answer for. As for Norway, we can build huge amounts of offshore windpower.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 KathaarianCode

Yeah, there's a global recession coming. Though a recession isn't the end of the world.

Now, of course we're on an unprecedented time where a significant part of the US population celebrates it and wants it to get even worse so that their traitorous cult leader might have a chance to keep pushing his totalitarian agenda. So that's a significant new variable, because traditionally the US was a nation where the idea of union was prevalent.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@comp_atkins said:

grow up, kids.

Says the kid who's not realized inflation now hasn't been this bad in over 40 years if not longer (I believe it's actually 41 years). Last month gas prices broke the record from back I believe when Crapbama was in office.

Don't even get me started on housing when in the 60's you could buy a home (3 rooms/1br/car port) under $8,000 costing $47 a month. The minimum wage in 1960 was $1, so literally a little over a week of work can get you a house.

As someone who's been in retail for over 12 years the past 5 months have gotten bad, people are having to choose between gas or food. Not to mention the increase to energy, internet and taxes all within the same 2 years.... sh17 is about to hit the fan hard. Is the world gonna be "Mad Max" most likely no, but the mass spending the government has done the last year along side of the billions lost last year in tax payers money doesn't help. I've lost count on how many times people have flipped their crap over the price of avocados.

If there was a check list of how to fubar your country's economy, this current government is checking off 90% of that list.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LJS9502_basic

@Ballroompirate said:

Says the kid who's not realized inflation now hasn't been this bad in over 40 years if not longer (I believe it's actually 41 years). Last month gas prices broke the record from back I believe when Crapbama was in office.

Don't even get me started on housing when in the 60's you could buy a home (3 rooms/1br/car port) under $8,000 costing $47 a month. The minimum wage in 1960 was $1, so literally a little over a week of work can get you a house.

As someone who's been in retail for over 12 years the past 5 months have gotten bad, people are having to choose between gas or food. Not to mention the increase to energy, internet and taxes all within the same 2 years.... sh17 is about to hit the fan hard. Is the world gonna be "Mad Max" most likely no, but the mass spending the government has done the last year along side of the billions lost last year in tax payers money doesn't help. I've lost count on how many times people have flipped their crap over the price of avocados.

If there was a check list of how to fubar your country's economy, this current government is checking off 90% of that list.

I love how some Americans are so impervious to facts that they can't see the pandemic has caused GLOBAL inflation.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 KathaarianCode

Inflation in Turkey is at +70%. People there are going mad at the avocados price!

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38699 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:
@comp_atkins said:

grow up, kids.

i've lived through a few already, thanks. i think forgoing the guac for a while is a sacrifice we're prepared to make. we all gotta do our part.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4278 Posts

Uh, pretty sure CNBC is a right wing publication. They’ve never said a good thing about a democrat, like…..almost never.