Have you lost trust and respect for police?

• 114 results
amillionhp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By amillionhp
Member since 2008 • 773 Posts

Whelp... i just wasted a significant amount of my work time reading through that PBS article before realizing it doesnt even describe the nature of "encounters" black men have with the police compared with white "encounters"

... yeah...

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178881 Posts

@amillionhp said:

@Xabiss:

Well... about that, i think the stats are dependent on the fact of a greater white population overall but still... it is at least worth mentioning and i do at least partially agree.

Here is another thing i think people just miss in all of this though, the absurd expectation placed on cops when at the end of the day, they're just people like everyone else who can chose to or not to do the right thing. Somehow we think cops cant do no wrong when they can and will. Giving them weapons and authority means it will get abused but there is no escaping this just like any regular crime cannot be completely stopped.

But there was footage of cops kneeling on top of white kids during the protests so that obviously isnt a racial issue, they are just trained to do that.

Ugh. If you choose to be a cop do it the right way. Having a bad day at the office and screwing up the numbers on the spreadsheet is not the same as killing someone. And police brutality is a thing that needs to end. Do not excuse that. They are PEACE officers. Yes we need to keep the streets safe. But we shouldn't need to keep them safe from police.

amillionhp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 amillionhp

@LJS9502_basic:

I dont know... as a Marine stationed in Okinawa, there was similar stigma concerning our interactions with locals that unfortunately occasionally included crime such as rape. It was clear there wasnt really anything that could be done from our end to stop that either, but it is what it is. Obviously victims and families of victims weren't going to care about anything said or done and just wanted all of us off island immediately.

Again... not excusing anything, we should definitely work on accountability for sure. There's been a California senator on news lately during all of this suggesting prosecution of police needs to come from outside the department or something like that, (i cant remember her name either) and that makes sense to me. Stronger accountability, sure but prevention? Not really possible.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#54 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

I mean its depends. The department in the town I grew up in has mostly decent cops. The departments in the two neighboring towns are cesspools for corrupt pigs. The cops in the suburb I live in now are pretty cool.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

There's nearly 3/4s of a million sworn officers in the country that make millions of contacts with folks every single day. You only hear what the media wants you to hear.

I've literally watched and read feel-good stories of police-civilian interactions, plus stories with officers committing criminal acts.

The media has its issues in biases but blaming the media for the profession's tolerance of bad officers is lazy.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@amillionhp said:

Whelp... i just wasted a significant amount of my work time reading through that PBS article before realizing it doesnt even describe the nature of "encounters" black men have with the police compared with white "encounters"

... yeah...

Awesome opinion, but I need counter-data. Link it up. Also good luck refuting the study, your arm-chair stuff won't really work on that one.

Till' then, have fun being wrong.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Drunk_PI

Oh look, two thugs pushing an elderly man with a cane not doing a goddamn thing.

Where are the poli-oh wait. :/

https://god.dailydot.com/utah-police-shoving-elderly-man/?fbclid=IwAR2DyCVY0E5h8H4s0xLEJ1ddVEpLnOIyKNdY7TVgBYOEZdeGYdwZChKzx6Q

@Sevenizz

Hey buddy, should he call the police on those thugs assaulting him? lol

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

There's nearly 3/4s of a million sworn officers in the country that make millions of contacts with folks every single day. You only hear what the media wants you to hear.

I'm suprise this hate thread isn't locked yet.

A lot of ignorance in this thread.

amillionhp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 amillionhp

@zaryia:

I dont need to counter it... lumping all police encounters together by race without specifying the nature of encounters (example: traffic stops or gang shoot outs) will obviously skew the results.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Drunk_PI

@n64dd said:
@Stevo_the_gamer said:

This isn't a hate thread. It's a reality check.

No one hates the police but many good people are sick and tired of corrupt police officers and the police that enable them to get away with it. We've literally have numerous videos of police committing criminal acts:

-shooting a bystander without cause

-shoving an elderly man with a cane without cause

-kicking a woman into a curb

and many more.

Everytime there's talk of police reform, it's always shot down by those same unions and their political enablers. And btw, no one is excusing the rioters and looters. All this could have been prevented if the police were held accountable for their actions.

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

I've personally had three instances in my life where I've done nothing wrong and been harassed by police while given bullshit reasoning. When contested, they either backed down or never showed up to court. I acknowledge that not all cops are bad, but at the same time, I've met 4 police personally and two where nice and two where racist Alpha male types. I don't think it's just a "few bad apples." More like a dozen bad orchards honestly. They are a brotherhood, so it's not surprising when they protect their own, even if its illegal or morally wrong.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@drunk_pi said:
@n64dd said:
@Stevo_the_gamer said:

No one hates the police but many good people are sick and tired of corrupt police officers and the police that enable them to get away with it. We've literally have numerous videos of police committing criminal acts:

and many more.

Everytime there's talk of police reform, it's always shot down by those same unions and their political enablers. And btw, no one is excusing the rioters and looters. All this could have been prevented if the police were held accountable for their actions.

Someone said in this thread they hate pigs.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Drunk_PI

@n64dd said:
@drunk_pi said:
@n64dd said:
@Stevo_the_gamer said:

and many more.

Someone said in this thread they hate pigs.

Did anyone respond to him?

Was he reported for hate language?

Is his opinion representative of every poster in this thread?

Wirrexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Wirrexx
Member since 2003 • 1738 Posts

Can't say anything about the Police in US, I am from Sweden, but i had a encounter with cops that made me questions some of them.

2013 early morning (05.20) i heard a loud crash outside my appartment, went outside, saw a new BMW flipped upside down. two guys walks out from the car, bleeding and confused, they tell me not to call the cops and gets away. I, ofcourse, call the cops, same time i am following these dudes. The cops tell me too stop in my tracks and not to go further, which ends up with me loosing them. Cops takes me in (oh i forgot to mention i was in boxers and t-shirt and it was cold outside). The question me, tell me why i can't point out which way they went and i explain to them that the lady in the phone told me that you guys told her to tell me not go any further, afterwards the cops pick me up, question me about the car and how they looked like. Not getting anywhere they get frustrated with ME and tell me to go home. 2 hour from my apartment with train and in cold weather.... no tickets, no wallets. That was the biggest walk of shame I've done. I tried to sue them, but got back that "i did not ask for a ride". The funny thing was, i told them "I will not be getting a ride home? " And the answer i was given "we have other things to do".

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@drunk_pi said:

Oh look, two thugs pushing an elderly man with a cane not doing a goddamn thing.

Where are the poli-oh wait. :/

@Sevenizz

Hey buddy, should he call the police on those thugs assaulting him? lol

I've seen too many instances during the protests and subsequent riots to say it's only a few. I'm sorry but you have to hold cops accountable for force.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1361 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer:

Also the only cases of police brutality we hear about are the ones fortunate enough to be caught on camera. Just imagine how many beatings and sexual harassment by police goes undocumented and unaware by media. You are ignorant if you think that police brutality is not a significant occurrence.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1361 Posts

Watch any video of any protest right now and you will see spineless cops beating and teargassing innocent harmless protesters because of their own complex. Police don’t protect anyone just their own forces.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#68 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49596 Posts

@ratchetclank92: What is your measure of significant occurrence?

amillionhp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 amillionhp

@ratchetclank92:

Oh right of course. You mean with like, daily nationwide protests right? And of course its all peaceful right? Sure it is.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#70  Edited By Star67
Member since 2005 • 5185 Posts

@Xabiss: In that very same twitter thread it's brought up immediately that the numbers were biased and that the numbers show that black people per capita die more by police than whites. Johnson even admits it in the thread!

And buddy, you posted it as a response trying to make a point, your point. So you best nut up or shut up. You can't pull the "take it up with the original poster on twitter BS" If you don't want to argue or make points then don't post at all. Your intention from the start was to spread misinformation to prove your point of view.

I can't stand people like you, you don't listen to anyone but yourself because you think you know it all, but you don't. You only listen to people who already share your view point because you're too ignorant to challenge your way of thinking.

And you're a twat. Good night

Chozofication

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Chozofication
Member since 2020 • 231 Posts

They never had it to begin with. As individuals, police can be good people, but as an institution it’s a magnet for under qualified bullies.

However people turning this into race problem instead of a human/institutional one are misguided at best and as for the rioters, they’ll use any excuse to act like animals.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14831 Posts

I don't like what I've been seeing in the States, but I'm Canadian. I haven't lost respect for our police officers. Personally, I've only had pleasant experiences with them.

amillionhp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 amillionhp

@Star67:

Hmm i looked at it and the only thing i noticed was black population die disproportionately if we ignore crime rates by race... but why should we do that?

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

I've most certainly lost respect for the MPD. Their union chief Bob Kroll and his successor needs to go ASAP. Almost the entire force resides out of the city and they voted this asshole in as their union lead. It's very telling when the police are supporting a very pro Trump douche while 'protecting' a city that whole heartily votes against him.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#75  Edited By tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21653 Posts

Not really. Still fully support our men and women in blue...

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

Yeah, pretty much my view. You rarely hear the good that cops do. No one cares about that. Just the things a small selective do...

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

@amillionhp said:

@LJS9502_basic:

The sources are not credible then?

Read through the tweet he post his sources. My god you people are helpless. That took me an entire 2 seconds.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Xabiss

@zaryia said:
@wervenom said:
@zaryia said:
@Xabiss said:

The answer is no. If you have any questions please refer them to the gentleman below. I will not be playing with you. He has all of his resources posted.

and this

Neither of that lol-twitter-citations denies the OP suggesting there is police brutality in general and police racism in general. Which there is. And that a lot of it is simply being caught on film these days. Which it is.

As for your red-herring tweets, I'm seeing conflicting data here:

After Ferguson, black men still face the highest risk of being killed by police

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/after-ferguson-black-men-and-boys-still-face-the-highest-risk-of-being-killed-by-police

Black men and boys face the highest risk of being killed by police–at a rate of 96 out of 100,000 deaths. By comparison, white men and boys face a lower rate of 39 per 100,000 deaths, despite being a bigger portion of the U.S. population. Overall, men faced a rate of 52 per 100,000 deaths.

Getting killed by police is a leading cause of death for young black men in America

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2019-08-15/police-shootings-are-a-leading-cause-of-death-for-black-men

Black People Are Charged at a Higher Rate Than Whites. What if Prosecutors Didn’t Know Their Race?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/12/us/prosecutor-race-blind-charging.html

Comparing Black and White Drug Offenders: Implications for Racial Disparities in Criminal Justice and Reentry Policy and Programming

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5614457/

I mean the whole War on Drugs proves the systemic thing.

That being said I have no lost respect for the police. Just some of them, I mean look at the guys attacking journalists all week. Like THUGS.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mediabiasfactcheck.com/washington-post/%3famp

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/national/police-shootings-2019/

The Twitter citations are from accurate sources. This does provide context to your links that are trying to create a false narrative.

Your links shows

WAPO: "Factual Reporting: HIGH" Thank you.

Not to mention you didn't even touch upon my 3 other links. One of my links directly leads to a study......

Explain to me how citing a tweet is better than directly linking a study. Not only did you not debunk my 4 links, you didn't give citation for those tweets.

All of his resources were posted in the Tweet like I said. Oh and I guess we can only use your citations since you are the god of picking biased studies. Gotcha *eyeroll*

I love how you all attack me for just posting a random tweet as fact when in my message I said the citations are within the tweet. You all really do have piss poor reading comprehension skills!

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 LJS9502_basic

@amillionhp said:

@ratchetclank92:

Oh right of course. You mean with like, daily nationwide protests right? And of course its all peaceful right? Sure it is.

Many of the people being attacked by police are not the rioters.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 LJS9502_basic

@Xabiss: I'm not.....nor apparently is anyone else going to hit up his twitter feed to see subsequent tweets. You posted two tweets with NO sources. Stop being dishonest and telling people to do the work for you.

WeRVenom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#80 WeRVenom
Member since 2020 • 479 Posts

@LJS9502_basic: I posted the sources from that tweet, his facts are accurate. By all means if you don't like what you see just continue with your false narrative.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Xabiss

I posted the sources since you are to lazy to look through the one tweet with all the information. The truth I know hurts and you all can't handle it obviously. It doesn't fit you narrative so now all you can do is cry. Whatever man. Here let me quote it again since you are to lazy to click. Can't wait to see your excuses next.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 LJS9502_basic

@wervenom said:

@LJS9502_basic: I posted the sources from that tweet, his facts are accurate. By all means if you don't like what you see just continue with your false narrative.

The OP should post links. I don't give a flying f*** what you posted.

amillionhp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 amillionhp

@LJS9502_basic:

Right, they just conveniently mix with a multitude of peaceful protests who effectively provide cover and can at any moment become rioters. Sounds like fun to deal with.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#84 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Refer to the rap group NWA for my position on the police.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

No. They are people like everyone else but deal with the public and often dangerous situations. There are always a few bad seeds in any work place. I'm sure most people on average have come across a racist, dickhead, moody, irrational, Karen, hypocrite, judgmental, rebellious or spiteful person who was not in law enforcement. They are everywhere. Sometimes they are your boss, your uncle, a judge or any other position of empowerment over you. That's life and while there's always room for people to improve themselves, don't expect them to.

The only thing they can really do is increase training, psych evaluations, screening, etc but you can't prevent underlying issues that arise due to ever changing life factors or developments of trigger points. For some people their divorce with a difficult ex can send them over the edge, for others it might be financial hardships but everyone can break down and develop a negative attitude that alters their rational thinking and ignore all training and procedures. It's like watching a wore down McDonalds employee spit on someone's burger for giving them attitude on a bad day...it happens more than most like to admit.

amillionhp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 amillionhp

@pimphand_gamer:

Yup, pretty much what i've been trying to tell people here too. You can take any profession that exists, put them under the spotlight and ONLY report on negative things they do and it would be the same. Of course we are talking abiut a group of armed people with authority. Given people just dont naturally like being told what to do... well there ya go. Glad A F im not a cop.

Nude_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Nude_Dude
Member since 2007 • 5530 Posts

@vfighter said:

Have I lost respect for police, no. The actions of a few bad cops don't outweigh the good the rest of them do.

I have lost respect and faith in humanity though after watching looters and rioters burning down and robbing the cities they live in just because they have a "reason" now.

Cops systematically targeting and killing black people for the crime of being black in america

vfighter: i sleep

People start retaliating against the system since nobody has been listening to them for decades:

vfighter: whoa now how dare you, faith in humanity lost

:thoughtful_emoji:

narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#88  Edited By narlymech
Member since 2009 • 2132 Posts

I mean you have to respect the police, they make you do that. They force you into it. Sometimes I wish we had those keystone cops or whatever that everybody makes fun of, but the ones I've run into demand respect from everybody or they do in my case anyway. Honestly, this murder is a big thing, but they do several things often that aren't exactly on the up and up. They also will in fact frame you for crimes you didn't commit sometimes. Some of that is actually part of standard business. I'd be curious to know how many police have framed people and leveled some small or even large imaginary charge on someone. Supposudly they do this to "give a warning" that we all are subserviant to them as if were all supposed to be serving the cops. And, if you start to get trepadacioius about the cops, they will sniff you out and give you third degree. I'm sure many have lots of stories about run ins with the cops. I actually have several that I never got around to talking about or felt embarassed to mention. I mean alot of people don't want hear about you and the cops. But, all those cop stories you hear about on TV are probably based in truth somewhere.

WeRVenom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By WeRVenom

@LJS9502_basic said:
@wervenom said:

Lol you mad bro?

@Xabiss said:

I posted the sources since you are to lazy to look through the one tweet with all the information. The truth I know hurts and you all can't handle it obviously. It doesn't fit you narrative so now all you can do is cry. Whatever man. Here let me quote it again since you are to lazy to click. Can't wait to see your excuses next.

I think you shut their narrative down.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 LJS9502_basic

@wervenom said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@wervenom said:

Lol you mad bro?

@Xabiss said:

No how childish to think that.

He shut nothing down since he posted it after the fact and frankly the onus is on him to post his sources and not tell everyone else to find them on their own.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#91  Edited By Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26116 Posts

As an institution, certainly. They never seemed to mature from their slave-catcher days.

As individuals however, there are still many great people that serve the law, and they are mourning along with the rest of the country and striving to right what keeps going wrong, marching with and protecting the protesters just like they defend every American at any other time.

That said, if a police officer is a member of a department that has another officer that did something wrong, and the department hid the crime and did nothing about it, and yet decided to say nothing....they are a bad cop too. If there are 10 bad cops and 1000 good cops, and the 1000 good cops did not turn in the 10 bad ones, there are 1010 bad cops.

WeRVenom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 WeRVenom

@LJS9502_basic said:
@wervenom said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@wervenom said:

Lol you mad bro?

@Xabiss said:

He shut nothing down since he posted it after the fact and frankly the onus is on him to post his sources and not tell everyone else to find them on their own.

Childish? Why don't you address the sources as opposed to going on an angry rant.

You implied that the twitter statements were not true due to lack of sources. You have now seen the sources.. care to address them?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@wervenom said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Childish? Why don't you address the sources as opposed to going on an angry rant.

You implied that the twitter statements were not true due to lack of sources. You have now seen the sources.. care to address them?

What exactly am I supposed to get out of the crime statistics? His other sources are behind a subscription and I'm not subscribing. You want to take up his argument be my guest but do not use sources with subscriptions. Go ahead...…….

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Xabiss

@LJS9502_basic said:
@wervenom said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@wervenom said:

Lol you mad bro?

@Xabiss said:

ROFL I have posted the sources twice now. Let me now do it a third time. I love this liberal you post something three times that shows the truth of the stats that were posted and they still just turn a blind eye saying well you still haven't posted the source. So typical!

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 LJS9502_basic

@Xabiss: Once again I'm not subscribing to the Post. Try something that doesn't require a subscription. How many times do I have to say that to you. Reading issues? Attention issues?

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Xabiss
@LJS9502_basic said:
@wervenom said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

What exactly am I supposed to get out of the crime statistics? His other sources are behind a subscription and I'm not subscribing. You want to take up his argument be my guest but do not use sources with subscriptions. Go ahead...…….

They are not behind a subscription. All you have to do is scroll down and you can look at everything. Jesus do we need to teach you how to use the Internet? The 2017 and 2018 stats are completely free the 2019 are behind the paywall.

If you understand it backs up what the gentleman tweeted. Lord help us! Seriously I have never seen someone so scared of FACTS in my life or so blind to them because they don't fit there narrative. This is almost laughable!

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 LJS9502_basic

@Xabiss said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@wervenom said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

They are not behind a subscription. All you have to do is scroll down and you can look at everything. Jesus do we need to teach you how to use the Internet? The 2017 and 2018 stats are completely free the 2019 are behind the paywall.

If you understand it backs up what the gentleman tweeted. Lord help us!

Has a huge banner across the page. Try again.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Xabiss

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Xabiss said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@wervenom said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

If you understand it backs up what the gentleman tweeted. Lord help us!

Has a huge banner across the page. Try again.

Please man you don't have to be scared of the truth. I am not signed in or anything and I can use the site. Seriously this is funny as hell. I have never seen someone so scared of some facts in my entire life.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 LJS9502_basic

@Xabiss: That's not what I get. And second I called you out because of a lack of sources. I don't want to discuss the issue with you because I don't agree with your stance.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Xabiss

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Xabiss: That's not what I get. And second I called you out because of a lack of sources. I don't want to discuss the issue with you because I don't agree with your stance.

Exactly you are scared of facts that don't support your side so you automatically discredit them. Thanks for admitting it! Oh and I posted all of the sources and there is even more if you just scrolled through the tweet. Seriously man you are just a joke to me now.