Wireless signal: 100% - Yet lagging. The heck?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

_Binx_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 _Binx_
Member since 2003 • 132 Posts

So I just set up my wireless connection in my new apartment, working problem free on my laptop. I went on to connect my PS3 as well and it's connecting just fine. Signal is 100%. But when I play online (BF: Bad Company 2 in this case) I get lag. A slight delay on my actions (a few ms, but more than enough to feel incredibly sluggish), and when I turn quickly or jump the screen blurs slightly (lagging).

What could cause this? And more importantly, how do I fix it? I tried enabling DMZ on the router for my PS3's IP, but that didn't make any difference... :(

ElGreco88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 ElGreco88
Member since 2009 • 766 Posts

What's your NAT type?

BonoBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 BonoBoy
Member since 2002 • 587 Posts

What's your NAT type?

ElGreco88
NAT is a good place to start...also run connection test on PS3 and post your DL/UL speeds here...
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts
A 100% signal doesn't mean it won't lag, if you're downloading things on other products while playing online that will affect the gameplay because you're using more bandwidth, another problem is that it could be peer-to-peer and not dedicated servers.
rawr89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rawr89
Member since 2010 • 1746 Posts

So I just set up my wireless connection in my new apartment, working problem free on my laptop. I went on to connect my PS3 as well and it's connecting just fine. Signal is 100%. But when I play online (BF: Bad Company 2 in this case) I get lag. A slight delay on my actions (a few ms, but more than enough to feel incredibly sluggish), and when I turn quickly or jump the screen blurs slightly (lagging).

What could cause this? And more importantly, how do I fix it? I tried enabling DMZ on the router for my PS3's IP, but that didn't make any difference... :(

_Binx_

Bad Company 2 started to have lag around May. i sold mine to get Red Dead but people who stuck with BC2 had experienced lag ever since. i think they put out a patch, but people say it still lags. try another online game that has stable servers like Uncharted 2 or Metal Gear Online (i know, Metal Gear Online isn't the best online mp in the world, but i have never experienced any lag).

i was contemplating on getting BC2 again (im level 32) but yea, there is lag. i dunno why, though. BC2 has less players than launch, and still back then it didnt lag at all. and they also say there's rubberbanding going on.

Oxymandias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 Oxymandias
Member since 2006 • 330 Posts
Wifi isn't that great if you want great then get yourself a CAT5E/6 cable and a Gigabit router and then you'll have next to no lag. ;-)
Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Prexxus
Member since 2003 • 1443 Posts

I used to lag alot on BC2 but since that patch I haven't lagged at all. My PS3 records a 10 mb/s download speed. Nat type 2

evilmaster2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 evilmaster2424
Member since 2009 • 2060 Posts
check your NAT type. as long as its not NAT type 3 u shudnt have as many problems. and make sure your UPnP is enabled on your router
dk00111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 dk00111
Member since 2007 • 3123 Posts

What's your internet speed? If you don't know, go to speedtest.net and post your result here. Your internet is most likely at fault.

Also, try another game and see if that lags.

jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
The signal strength isn't the best judge of the wifi connection. Things like ping, packet lose and jitter makes a lot of difference. Even with less than desirable connection speed as long as the ping, packet lose and jitter are within decent ranges then you could have a better connection that someone with a solid 100% signal but running out of the normal numbers of the other parts of a signal they could have a lot of lag along with all kinds of other on-line problems.
Warriorboy1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#11 Warriorboy1990
Member since 2008 • 3813 Posts

_Binx_
Or it could be the BC2 servers.
hxczuner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 hxczuner
Member since 2009 • 2672 Posts
[QUOTE="_Binx_"]

Warriorboy1990
Or it could be the BC2 servers.

This seems like the real culprit here.
_Binx_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13 _Binx_
Member since 2003 • 132 Posts

The signal strength was more meant as an extra piece of information, so you wouldn't think that that was the problem.

I tested the connection and the speeds are exactly what they're supposed to be. I'm not downloading anything while playing either.

NAT Type 2
Download 8.1 Mbps
Upload 1.0 Mbps

I think you may be right about it being a BC2 server issue. I tested CoD: MW and Red Dead Redemption, both worked fine except for perhaps a slight sense of lag on RDR - that might be a server issue as well, who knows. The crosshair gets blurry when turning around on all three games though. Not sure what that's about. It only happens when playing online, so not the TV.

Has anyone heard if they're working on fixing these problems (BC2)? Cause this really sucks :/