Will we soon have to pay for online??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RACiEP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RACiEP
Member since 2010 • 687 Posts

Okay, I've been hearing this rumor lately that for each game you wish to go online with, you will have to pay an extra $10. I've done some Googling and haven't really found any sources on this.

Please tell me the rumor is a lie. D:

Ian_K2772

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Ian_K2772
Member since 2010 • 812 Posts

Okay, I've been hearing this rumor lately that for each game you wish to go online with, you will have to pay an extra $10. I've done some Googling and haven't really found any sources on this.

RACiEP
I think it's for used games with online capabilities, they may (or may not) be introducing it into all games, not sure though.
RACiEP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RACiEP

What do you mean by "used games?"

If something like this were to be implemented, I have no idea how this would only be for used games.

Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts
Recently many publishers lock the online modes of their games with a code that they put into the game case, similar to key codes that you might know from PC games. That code can only be used once. If someone buys the game used the code obviously might be used already. In that case the code must be purchased seperately from the PSN Store. It is planned that this system will be used for every game. PSN itself will remain free though. At least there's nothing else announced.
wwefanforlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#5 wwefanforlife
Member since 2006 • 3248 Posts

If something like this were to be implemented, I have no idea how this would only be for used games.

RACiEP

If the online pass is used on games you buy used you will have to pay to play it online and if you buy it new you don't need to pay that extra fee. Sony are using the online pass feature starting with Resistance 3.

RACiEP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RACiEP
Ahhh I see. Thanks for clarifying, you two. What a load of bunk, though. D:
unrealtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 unrealtron
Member since 2010 • 3148 Posts

RACiEP
Like NFS Hot Pursuit. I bought it preowned, now I have to buy a "Online code" to play online because the previous owner already used the original code.
blabbyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 blabbyboy
Member since 2008 • 2614 Posts
[QUOTE="wwefanforlife"]

[QUOTE="RACiEP"]

If the online pass is used on games you buy used you will have to pay to play it online and if you buy it new you don't need to pay that extra fee. Sony are using the online pass feature starting with Resistance 3.

Wasn't that in Mortal Kombat too?
jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
this is how it works. When you get a new game their will be a code enclosed with the game for online access so if you sell that game and the code is used or buy a game with the code already used then you have to buy a code to beable to play online.
Avatar image for DrJekyll8MrHyde
DrJekyll8MrHyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DrJekyll8MrHyde
Member since 2007 • 42 Posts

This is GameSpot's article on the PSN pass. It's starting with Resistance 3.

GAMESHARQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GAMESHARQ
Member since 2008 • 5988 Posts

That is ridiculous. It would be cheaper to pay for an annual online subscription like Xbox Live than to have to pay $10 per game. One of the main reasons why I like my PS3 is because I don't have to pay for online. If this keeps up, I may as well go back to XBL.

Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts

That is ridiculous. It would be cheaper to pay for an annual online subscription like Xbox Live than to have to pay $10 per game. One of the main reasons why I like my PS3 is because I don't have to pay for online. If this keeps up, I may as well go back to XBL.

GAMESHARQ
You already saved the money by buying the game used so it equals out. On XBL you have additional cost even if you buy the game new.
RACiEP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RACiEP

[QUOTE="GAMESHARQ"]

Reptylus

You already saved the money by buying the game used so it equals out. On XBL you have additional cost even if you buy the game new.

Still, I agree that it's ridiculous. I don't think I'll be getting Sony's next console if this keeps up.

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts

DrJekyll8MrHyde
I don't see why people are complaining about this, the developers don't get a penny if people buy their games used.
lordlunch2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 lordlunch2
Member since 2006 • 544 Posts
This is going to make buying newer games used worthless basically. If the game costs 45 dollars used and it's still 60 new. Then once you buy the pass its going to be 55..... :( No reason not to buy it new. I usually never buy games new, so this actually is a little annoying. Me and Half.com may not visit quite as much now lol
The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts

[QUOTE="Reptylus"][QUOTE="GAMESHARQ"]

RACiEP

Still, I agree that it's ridiculous. I don't think I'll be getting Sony's next console if this keeps up.

Not to turn this into a system wars type discussion, but I can't imagine MS ever not having the annual subscription and wouldn't be surprised if they also eventually added an Online Pass system to their 1st party games. 3rd party games (MK, EA Sports titles) already have online passes on both consoles. I rarely buy a game used that I want to play online so this doesn't effect me so that may be why I'm so indifferent.
The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 The_Rick_14
This is going to make buying newer games used worthless basically. If the game costs 45 dollars used and it's still 60 new. Then once you buy the pass its going to be 55..... :( No reason not to buy it new. I usually never buy games new, so this actually is a little annoying. Me and Half.com may not visit quite as much now lollordlunch2
Well let's assume you buy 20 games a year. That's still $100 you would have saved by buying used. Enough to buy an extra game that you want to play online and another without online.
RACiEP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RACiEP

Not to turn this into a system wars type discussion, but I can't imagine MS ever not having the annual subscription and wouldn't be surprised if they also eventually added an Online Pass system to their 1st party games. 3rd party games (MK, EA Sports titles) already have online passes on both consoles. I rarely buy a game used that I want to play online so this doesn't effect me so that may be why I'm so indifferent.The_Rick_14

I wasn't implying that I'd buy a MS console either. ;)

GAMESHARQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GAMESHARQ

[QUOTE="lordlunch2"]This is going to make buying newer games used worthless basically. If the game costs 45 dollars used and it's still 60 new. Then once you buy the pass its going to be 55..... :( No reason not to buy it new. I usually never buy games new, so this actually is a little annoying. Me and Half.com may not visit quite as much now lolThe_Rick_14
Well let's assume you buy 20 games a year. That's still $100 you would have saved by buying used. Enough to buy an extra game that you want to play online and another without online.

Let's say I buy the same 20 used games for Xbox 360 though. An annual subscription on XBL is $50, a lot cheaper than if I buy the same used games on PS3 and then have to pay $10 per game to play them online.

RACiEP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 RACiEP

[QUOTE="DrJekyll8MrHyde"]

MushroomWig

I don't see why people are complaining about this, the developers don't get a penny if people buy their games used.

And why should the developers get money for used games?

Should we do this for all used products now? Let's say I feel like selling my iPhone to someone... should the person who buys it from me have to pay a fee to Apple? Ridiculous.

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts
And why should the developers get money for used games?RACiEP
Not really sure if you're being serious or not. Why shouldn't developers get money for their own creation?
GAMESHARQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GAMESHARQ

Well this is a stupid idea. What's wrong with renting games and playing online? Are these companies money hungry or what?

BobMarley1969
That's actually a very good point about rentals. A lot of people rent games instead of buying. They are going to be pissed off more than anyone else.
RACiEP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RACiEP

[QUOTE="RACiEP"]And why should the developers get money for used games?MushroomWig
Not really sure if you're being serious or not. Why shouldn't developers get money for their own creation?

Of course I'm being serious. They get money when they sell new games... why should we have them milking us for cash on our own used games?

This doesn't happen out there with any other used product.

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 The_Rick_14

[QUOTE="The_Rick_14"][QUOTE="lordlunch2"]This is going to make buying newer games used worthless basically. If the game costs 45 dollars used and it's still 60 new. Then once you buy the pass its going to be 55..... :( No reason not to buy it new. I usually never buy games new, so this actually is a little annoying. Me and Half.com may not visit quite as much now lolGAMESHARQ

Let's say I buy the same 20 used games for Xbox 360 though. An annual subscription on XBL is $50, a lot cheaper than if I buy the same used games on PS3 and then have to pay $10 per game to play them online.

True but that's assuming all 20 of those games are 1st party MS games and not 3rd party games that do have already have an online pass. So really it could be less or more expensive depending on the game choices. Also need to remember that games without online components won't have this.
The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 The_Rick_14

[QUOTE="The_Rick_14"]Not to turn this into a system wars type discussion, but I can't imagine MS ever not having the annual subscription and wouldn't be surprised if they also eventually added an Online Pass system to their 1st party games. 3rd party games (MK, EA Sports titles) already have online passes on both consoles. I rarely buy a game used that I want to play online so this doesn't effect me so that may be why I'm so indifferent.RACiEP

Good point. There's always a PC (which initially would cost much more than a console) and I forgot the Wii has online.
J-Man725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 J-Man725
Member since 2006 • 6786 Posts

They're free to start charging for online if they'd like to, thats their right. I'd just stop playing what little I do online, though. No skin off my back.

Like this whole business with the online passes. I find it kind of laughable. I buy used to save money. I'm not going to pay $10 for an online pass because that would defeat the purpose of buying used (and yes, I realize that's the purpose of the online pass, to discourage buying used). But I'll still buy used, I'm just not going to play that game online. I don't think that's far from the truth for others in my position, either. I wouldn't be buying a game used 1-2 years after release if I was interested in playing online, and I'll certainly not pay extra to access it. IMO most online these days isn't worth even $10.

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 The_Rick_14

[QUOTE="MushroomWig"][QUOTE="DrJekyll8MrHyde"]

RACiEP

Should we do this for all used products now? Let's say I feel like selling my iPhone to someone... should the person who buys it from me have to pay a fee to Apple? Ridiculous.

The difference here is that a game with an online component has servers to run which cost money to run and maintain. Game sales help offset that cost. With an iPhone, their is no cost to Apple outside of manufacturing costs which they already covered by the initial sale of the device. The service cost comes from the carrier which the new user will have to still pay to use the phone.
z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

[QUOTE="RACiEP"]

[QUOTE="MushroomWig"] I don't see why people are complaining about this, the developers don't get a penny if people buy their games used.The_Rick_14

The difference here is that a game with an online component has servers to run which cost money to run and maintain. Game sales help offset that cost. With an iPhone, their is no cost to Apple outside of manufacturing costs which they already covered by the initial sale of the device. The service cost comes from the carrier which the new user will have to still pay to use the phone.

that cost should have been covered when the game was initially sold, whether the original owner plays it online for a year or sells it after 3 months and someone else plays online for 9 months is irrelevent as the cost should have already been covered.

Inmate_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Inmate_69
Member since 2011 • 96 Posts
Bottomline is that Sony wants more money. Nothing wrong with that. They are a business. I buy alot of used games, but now they are doing this I wont buy them anymore. I wonder how did would apply for people that use GameFly? Pay to rent and then turn around and pay ten dollars. That is going to cut in to GameFly's profit because people will rent less.
sturshel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 sturshel
Member since 2007 • 177 Posts

RACiEP

IT's A LIE!!!!!!! (unless you buy pre-owned, then YEYEAHHH!!!! $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ (10) bucks for full fnctionality)

GAMESHARQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GAMESHARQ

Bottomline is that Sony wants more money.Inmate_69
You'd think they'd be happy enough charging up to $15 a pop for virtual crap in Home. Stuff that has no real world value and they charge insane prices for.

parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 parvie
Member since 2008 • 2168 Posts

GAMESHARQ
LOL logic fail. If you're buying used, then you've already saved enough money that should overshadow the 10 dollars that you must pay for the pass.
parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 parvie

They're free to start charging for online if they'd like to, thats their right. I'd just stop playing what little I do online, though. No skin off my back.

Like this whole business with the online passes. I find it kind of laughable. I buy used to save money. I'm not going to pay $10 for an online pass because that would defeat the purpose of buying used (and yes, I realize that's the purpose of the online pass, to discourage buying used). But I'll still buy used, I'm just not going to play that game online. I don't think that's far from the truth for others in my position, either. I wouldn't be buying a game used 1-2 years after release if I was interested in playing online, and I'll certainly not pay extra to access it. IMO most online these days isn't worth even $10.

J-Man725
Haha yup-- i'd stop playing online too and would have no problem with that. Maybe because i'm not a CoD addict.
GAMESHARQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GAMESHARQ

[QUOTE="GAMESHARQ"]

parvie

LOL logic fail. If you're buying used, then you've already saved enough money that should overshadow the 10 dollars that you must pay for the pass.

It's still cheaper on XBL because you can buy the same used games for Xbox 360 and not have to pay the extra $10 fee to play online. Like I said in one of my previous posts, if you buy 20 games and have to pay $10 per game, that's $200, versus the $50 for XBL.

DrRockso87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 DrRockso87
Member since 2010 • 2647 Posts

It's only for used games with online multiplayer/co-op. It's not like every game that's used now will come with a fee to play. I continue to purchase my single-player games used because it's cheaper and no online necessary.

I personally don't see a problem with this. Sony, EA, Warner Brothers, THQ, etc. all receive jack for used games yet provide a service to consumers (online multiplayer) that have given no money at all to these companies. So, if you want to play online then you'll have to shell out the full $60 new or an extra $10 with used.

If you want online so badly then purchase new. If not then purchase the online pass. If you don't want to do either then stop playing online multiplayer games...or continue to complain about it. I'm sure that'll work. :P

RACiEP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 RACiEP
[QUOTE="GAMESHARQ"]

parvie

It really depends on how many games you're buying.
parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 parvie
[QUOTE="parvie"][QUOTE="GAMESHARQ"]

RACiEP

It really depends on how many games you're buying.

Yeah i was speaking in terms of only one game.
RACiEP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 RACiEP
[Yeah i was speaking in terms of only one game.parvie
Well, I think it's safe to assume that most people get more than one game for their console. In the long run, this is very costly to the consumer and basically makes buying used games obsolete.
JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts

[QUOTE="The_Rick_14"]Not to turn this into a system wars type discussion, but I can't imagine MS ever not having the annual subscription and wouldn't be surprised if they also eventually added an Online Pass system to their 1st party games. 3rd party games (MK, EA Sports titles) already have online passes on both consoles. I rarely buy a game used that I want to play online so this doesn't effect me so that may be why I'm so indifferent.RACiEP

he was just trying to tell u that sony isnt the only ppl doing this. EA is doing other devs are doing. its on both consoles. devs just want to make as much profit as they can. cuz they dont get a dime on used games so thats the only way they can make something out of it
RACiEP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 RACiEP

[QUOTE="RACiEP"]

[QUOTE="The_Rick_14"]Not to turn this into a system wars type discussion, but I can't imagine MS ever not having the annual subscription and wouldn't be surprised if they also eventually added an Online Pass system to their 1st party games. 3rd party games (MK, EA Sports titles) already have online passes on both consoles. I rarely buy a game used that I want to play online so this doesn't effect me so that may be why I'm so indifferent.JoKeR_421

he was just trying to tell u that sony isnt the only ppl doing this. EA is doing other devs are doing. its on both consoles. devs just want to make as much profit as they can. cuz they dont get a dime on used games so thats the only way they can make something out of it

You're forgetting Nintendo. To my knowledge, they have no plans to implement anything like that at this time. Hopefully it'll stay that way.

Oh and just for the record... that whole thing about the developers needing money for servers is utter nonsense. If this was really the case, they would be asking for a monthly fee. No... they just want to make a profit more than once for a game they've already manufactured.

Dogwax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Dogwax
Member since 2011 • 45 Posts

[QUOTE="JoKeR_421"][QUOTE="RACiEP"]

RACiEP

You're forgetting Nintendo. To my knowledge, they have no plans to implement anything like that at this time. Hopefully it'll stay that way.

Oh and just for the record... that whole thing about the developers needing money for servers is utter nonsense. If this was really the case, they would be asking for a monthly fee. No... they just want to make a profit more than once for a game they've already manufactured.

shock news. devs want to make profit. If you want them to carry on making games they need to make profit. I don;t see the problem alot of companies have already implemented this and I didnt see the moaning going on now. Seems to me kids just want to bash Sony. If everyone brought used there wouldnt be a games industry so quit crying rivers, man up and support the devs for once.
Dogwax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Dogwax
Member since 2011 • 45 Posts
Oh and btw you says devs want to make a profit more then once on a game. Does it not occur to you thats a LOST sale? simples my friend, simples.
GAMESHARQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 GAMESHARQ
I'm sorry, but the concept of "buying used" is not exactly new. A lot of items can be purchased used, but only the video game industry is trying to penalize people for it. What if you bought a used car and then the Ford Motor Company said that you can only drive it in certain areas unless you pay them a fee. Would you be happy? I seriously doubt it.
RACiEP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 RACiEP

I'm sorry, but the concept of "buying used" is not exactly new. A lot of items can be purchased used, but only the video game industry is trying to penalize people for it. What if you bought a used car and then the Ford Motor Company said that you can only drive it in certain areas unless you pay them a fee. Would you be happy? I seriously doubt it.GAMESHARQ
Exactly!! Why is it that no one understands this?

Oh and the sales of new games aren't dropping either. Good devs make plenty of money. So all of this "but we're just supporting the good devs" is ridiculous.

PolygonBust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 PolygonBust
Member since 2011 • 239 Posts

Probably not

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

well, I see a lot of people just waiting for new games to go down in price. After all, with so many games being hit or miss anymore (even ones with great scores) it's really difficult to buy a game new knowing you can't return it (as you can with used games at gamestop). Then there's the problem of bad servers, such as B:BC2, which have made it literally impossible for me to play online. So if I was to get it new and find out I can't play online and can't return it I'd probably just stop buying games from that company (which is why I'm going to wait a while to get Battlefield 3 until a big price drop).

Not to mention, game prices went from $50 to $60 when this gen came around, which was rather aggravating. These companies better watch themselves before people start sitting around waiting for price drops. Then again, the rpg market should benefit from this since they have long offline experiences.

parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 parvie
[QUOTE="parvie"][Yeah i was speaking in terms of only one game.RACiEP
Well, I think it's safe to assume that most people get more than one game for their console. In the long run, this is very costly to the consumer and basically makes buying used games obsolete.

I meant one at a time, with intervals of time in between. Not one used game for the console's lifespan. Sheesh.
FLYEboi50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#50 FLYEboi50
Member since 2007 • 518 Posts

[QUOTE="parvie"][QUOTE="GAMESHARQ"]

GAMESHARQ

It's still cheaper on XBL because you can buy the same used games for Xbox 360 and not have to pay the extra $10 fee to play online. Like I said in one of my previous posts, if you buy 20 games and have to pay $10 per game, that's $200, versus the $50 for XBL.

You've bought 20 used games in one year!? I barely buy2 used gamesa year. I don't think that'll add up to a whole year of XBL. even years after.