Will there ever be a sandbox zombie game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Robinho1873

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Robinho1873
Member since 2007 • 1066 Posts

I would instantly go out and buy a game that put you in a kind of 28 days later/GTA/Dawn of the dead situation.

Where your in a true fight or flight situation. You could go rampaging in to the zombie horde or find a place to hole up and try and survive. I love the res evil games but there really is only one way through them. I'm not sure how a dev would implement the whole hole up and survive mechanic but I think it would be a nice change of pace.

Your thoughts guys?

CosmoKing7717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 CosmoKing7717
Member since 2004 • 4602 Posts
[QUOTE="Robinho1873"]

I would instantly go out and buy a game that put you in a kind of 28 days later/GTA/Dawn of the dead situation.

Where your in a true fight or flight situation. You could go rampaging in to the zombie horde or find a place to hole up and try and survive. I love the res evil games but there really is only one way through them. I'm not sure how a dev would implement the whole hole up and survive mechanic but I think it would be a nice change of pace.

Your thoughts guys?

hmm...would be quite interesting if they have things to do though, more like quests and missions of people trying to survive in the city almost I am legend-esque. could be quite interesting with an action/horror sandbox game
gekidami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gekidami
Member since 2004 • 2446 Posts
I'd love a game like this to but we've yet to be served, L4D was hyped to be abit like that, but in the end its just a run'n'gun with zombies.
jfcundiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 jfcundiff
Member since 2007 • 6365 Posts
They should make a game like this. Bring in the best elements of games like L4D, Freedom Fighters, Resident Evil, and GTA and mash them all together. L4D for the great co-op experience. Freedom Fighters for the cool squad mechanics for single player. Resident Evil for the creepy atmosphere and GTA for the size and scope of the game. That would be quite the epic game for the holidays.
xmitchconnorx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 xmitchconnorx
Member since 2007 • 2649 Posts
Well Dead Rising is a step in that direction. So maybe we'll see a full blown zombie sandbox soon.
Robinho1873

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Robinho1873
Member since 2007 • 1066 Posts

I'd love a game like this to but we've yet to be served, L4D was hyped to be abit like that, but in the end its just a run'n'gun with zombies.gekidami

Yeah I thought that about left for dead aswell. Got quite excited about it too :(

It would be quite good if (again I Am Legend-esque) you had to hunt deer or whatever for food but also manage your bullets for the zombies too.

gekidami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gekidami
Member since 2004 • 2446 Posts

Well Dead Rising is a step in that direction. So maybe soon we'll see a full blown zombie sandbox soon.xmitchconnorx

Thats true, Dead Rising is probaly the best zombie game to date, its only down side is that it dosnt take itself seriously, and whilst thats good for that game and what it was aiming for, it kinda takes it out of the loop for our dreamed zombie apocalypse game, though it has alot of the right elements, it'll be interesting to see where Dead Rising 2 takes it.

Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mau-Justice
Member since 2008 • 4907 Posts

Dead Rising IS a sandbox zombie game. You can do the quests whenever/however you want, or you don't even have to do them at all. You can just shoot up zombies for 72 hours and get out of dodge.

Seeing as Dead Rising just won it's case against Dawn of the Dead, who knows, we may see a Dead Rising 2 multiplat in the near future. The first one was awesome so I hope so.

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts
Well Zombie Panic is kind of like what your looking for.
jfcundiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jfcundiff

[QUOTE="xmitchconnorx"]Well Dead Rising is a step in that direction. So maybe soon we'll see a full blown zombie sandbox soon.gekidami

Thats true, Dead Rising is probaly the best zombie game to date, its only down side is that it dosnt take itself seriously, and whilst thats good for that game and what it was aiming for, it kinda takes it out of the loop for our dreamed zombie apocalypse game, though it has alot of the right elements, it'll be interesting to see where Dead Rising 2 takes it.

That is what made Dead Rising so cool yet not what I was looking for in a zombie game. The ultimate zombie game with a sandbox environment needs to give you that sense of fear and anxiety and loneliness that would make you scared to go down a street in the game or not go into a building. Imagine a game like that with all the elements from games like L4D, Freedom Fighters, RE, and GTA. They need a game like this to be open ended so you can accomplish what you need to, but by going anyway through the city you want to while keeping that sense of fear and anxiety intact.

xmitchconnorx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 xmitchconnorx
Member since 2007 • 2649 Posts

Dead Rising IS a sandbox zombie game. You can do the quests whenever/however you want, or you don't even have to do them at all. You can just shoot up zombies for 72 hours and get out of dodge.

Seeing as Dead Rising just won it's case against Dawn of the Dead, who knows, we may see a Dead Rising 2 multiplat in the near future. The first one was awesome so I hope so.

Mau-Justice

Dead Rising is a sandbox but it's a diet sandbox game. The missions are overall pretty structured, you have to do each one at a certain time or you fail the game. It's not like GTA or other games where you can do wait and not do a mission for hours days or weeks then finally decide to do it. And just sitting around killing zombies till the end of the game isn't really beating the game.

jfcundiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jfcundiff
[QUOTE="Mau-Justice"]

xmitchconnorx

Dead Rising is a sandbox but it's a diet sandbox game. The missions are overall pretty structured, you have to do each one at a certain time or you fail the game. It's not like GTA or other games where you can do wait and not do a mission for hours days or weeks then finally decide to do it. And just sitting around killing zombies till the end of the game isn't really beating the game.

A zombie where you do not have to do missions one after another and you can actually go out and do what you want would be cool. Maybe you could go around the city and pick up survivors and form a small group of people to help do missions would be great.

Avatar image for Nocturnal_Speed
Nocturnal_Speed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Nocturnal_Speed
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts
[QUOTE="xmitchconnorx"][QUOTE="Mau-Justice"]

jfcundiff

A zombie where you do not have to do missions one after another and you can actually go out and do what you want would be cool. Maybe you could go around the city and pick up survivors and form a small group of people to help do missions would be great.

three words..... "Resident Evil Outbreak" would have been better in third person with tactics and all that other good stuff, but yeah I feel you

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 avataraang1
Member since 2006 • 5436 Posts
I wouldnt want to fight zombies 24/7 if I dont have any type of awesome powers that dismember them.
Needles-Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Needles-Kane
Member since 2004 • 2040 Posts

[QUOTE="gekidami"]I'd love a game like this to but we've yet to be served, L4D was hyped to be abit like that, but in the end its just a run'n'gun with zombies.Robinho1873

Yeah I thought that about left for dead aswell. Got quite excited about it too :(

It would be quite good if (again I Am Legend-esque) you had to hunt deer or whatever for food but also manage your bullets for the zombies too.

That would rule!!! So far the only games I've wanted this generation have been Dead Rising and Left 4 Dead, I made the wrong..... Anyways, I wanted the BC with the awesome PS2 library but then we all know what happened there.
billybangstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 billybangstr
Member since 2009 • 38 Posts

sounds kind of like crackdown 2

NuKkU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 NuKkU
Member since 2007 • 16904 Posts

i count Dead Rising as open world if i do say so myself but hey thats just me

anarchist4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 anarchist4eva
Member since 2009 • 222 Posts

I for one hope not. This fascination with zombies has become overkill in games. Resident evil wasn't the first but it sure has abused the idea to death. Let those zombies rest in peace. Enough with the zombie bashing, killing, murdering, head shots... You get the idea.

idk761

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 idk761
Member since 2008 • 3229 Posts

Mau-Justice
Well, I want zombies that aren't that freakin weak.
RadTad62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 RadTad62
Member since 2003 • 667 Posts

i see where you are going with this it could be a game where if you wanted to kill zombies all day instead of going through the main story you could and the missions could be like survive in a house or building until help arrives or you have to go rescue people and load them up on a beer truck but one of the suvivers is infected and you take them to your base and they start to infect others there and you have a choice of killing the infected people or fleeing with the other suvivors to find a new base. if you choose to fightto keep you base you have to watch out for the other suvivors because they could get infected also and turn on you or you could get infected yourselfor if you flee you have to find the infected person that has the keys to the beer truck to escape.

ReaperV7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ReaperV7
Member since 2008 • 6756 Posts

prototype and dead rising 2....

theonekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 theonekiller
Member since 2006 • 73 Posts

i see where you are going with this it could be a game where if you wanted to kill zombies all day instead of going through the main story you could and the missions could be like survive in a house or building until help arrives or you have to go rescue people and load them up on a beer truck but one of the suvivers is infected and you take them to your base and they start to infect others there and you have a choice of killing the infected people or fleeing with the other suvivors to find a new base. if you choose to fightto keep you base you have to watch out for the other suvivors because they could get infected also and turn on you or you could get infected yourselfor if you flee you have to find the infected person that has the keys to the beer truck to escape.

RadTad62
Haha nice little story you put together
mattyperkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mattyperkins
Member since 2008 • 357 Posts

hmmm... prototype was CLOSE to a sandbox zombie game.. The infected sort of acted and looked like zombies. Except you had ginourmous superhuman powers. So yeah... not quite.

I think a game like dead rising, with an open world feel would be cool. Although, when you think about it, dead rising was already pretty damn large, and the closes thing we have to a game like the one your talking about.

theonekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 theonekiller
Member since 2006 • 73 Posts
If a developer made a game like the movie Resident Evil 2 , i would actually consider buying it , if they made the survival aspect really good
8Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 8Tango
Member since 2009 • 1953 Posts

Prototype says hello.

Avatar image for chedarcheese190
chedarcheese190

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#26 chedarcheese190
Member since 2008 • 793 Posts

i think this is best for single player. other players would get lost in hordes of zombies. i can picture me just sitting on top of a walmart watching the sunset with a rifle in my hand while shooting zombies... then i run out of ammo. then i have to drive through zombies to the other side of town to the gun shop. i actually like weak zombies that die in one shot as long as there is hundreds of them.

SnakeBite27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SnakeBite27
Member since 2005 • 124 Posts

What might be cool is if the multiplayer isn't really forced. In a large enough sandbox, have maybe 4-12 players in with no means of communication at first. And if you just so happen to run into eachother, you can exchange "phone numbers" or "radio frequencies" and go your seperate ways or team up and fight off the horde together.

Also if that teammate gets infected you get to shoot em in the face.

A zombie sandbox game could be something simple like a score-based third-person-shooter for the PSN or XBLA.

RadTad62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 RadTad62
Member since 2003 • 667 Posts

What might be cool is if the multiplayer isn't really forced. In a large enough sandbox, have maybe 4-12 players in with no means of communication at first. And if you just so happen to run into eachother, you can exchange "phone numbers" or "radio frequencies" and go your seperate ways or team up and fight off the horde together.

Also if that teammate gets infected you get to shoot em in the face.

A zombie sandbox game could be something simple like a score-based third-person-shooter for the PSN or XBLA.

SnakeBite27

ant that goes with the survival mission i was talking about in the house/building to make it more intense if none of your friends are online no help will come you would have to wait for a group of npc suvivors to help you and when your friend got online and recieves you call for help if you were not able to survive and your friend came to help the place would be over ran with zombies but if you do survive it would be a meeting place for you and from there you could do missions or go on a zombie killing rampage and also you would to have the option to go out on your own if you wanted to. and another mission idea is your group is running out of food and someone has to go out for it but the problem is that all of the super markets are in areas over ran with zombies and the stores are full of them too

Kleeyook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#29 Kleeyook
Member since 2008 • 5213 Posts
Might be, inFamous that people in Empire City are turned into zombies, GTA zombie mode, Prototype 2 with a lot of zombies instead of normal infects. :P
AlienOverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AlienOverlord
Member since 2003 • 790 Posts

When you hole up in a house you would run out of food which would force you to go out and get more. Also, if the place you're holed up in is not very well barricaded then eventually the zombies break in. This solves the problem of why you can't stay holed up forever. So, there needs to be a benefit to holing up. It's what we would do in real life but it would be boring, in a video game, to go into a house and wait or hit a wait one day button.

I like the idea of it, just need to figure out why you'd want to hole up in game.

hot_shot_9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 hot_shot_9
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts

It would be pretty awesome.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Zombie survival RPG in the Oblivion/Fallout style would be amazing.

Na_G4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Na_G4life
Member since 2005 • 515 Posts

When you hole up in a house you would run out of food which would force you to go out and get more. Also, if the place you're holed up in is not very well barricaded then eventually the zombies break in. This solves the problem of why you can't stay holed up forever. So, there needs to be a benefit to holing up. It's what we would do in real life but it would be boring, in a video game, to go into a house and wait or hit a wait one day button.

I like the idea of it, just need to figure out why you'd want to hole up in game.

AlienOverlord
Players may want to sleep, because lack of sleep decreases the accuracy of your shots, or has other adverse effects on the player. Also, if not well barricaded, u may wake up in a room full of zombies, and have to fight your way through them to survive.