Why the hell are UMDs cheaper than PSN downloads?

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 thetruespin
Member since 2008 • 3256 Posts

I thought the whole point of electronic distribution was to get rid of the need for physical media and distribution costs.... SO WHY are UMDs of new games like GT:CTW and FF:D more expensive on PSN!!!!

coolkid93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2 coolkid93
Member since 2007 • 6749 Posts
Because UMDs kick butt. :P With downloads you can't find no cheaper price. With UMD you can look around trying to find the cheapest price you can posibly find. With downloads you can't.
mralspsp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mralspsp
Member since 2006 • 149 Posts

UMDs can wear out break if your not careful. If anything happens to your DD, just redownload it. :)

SadPSPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#4 SadPSPAddict
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts

UMDs can wear out break if your not careful. If anything happens to your DD, just redownload it. :)

mralspsp

Valid point - but not enough to justify the higher price tag IMHO. If Sony are serious about making a "go" of the PSN then they need to look closely at the prices!

feryl06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 feryl06
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

I always thought that too, but I guess Sony doesn't care about what we think, especially when people are buying it.

I thought the whole point of electronic distribution was to get rid of the need for physical media and distribution costs.... SO WHY are UMDs of new games like GT:CTW and FF:D more expensive on PSN!!!!

thetruespin

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

When downloading, we're practically buying multiple copies to use if one of them gets corrupted. You can't do that with UMDs; you'd have to buy a new copy at full price. Also, there are no other companies competing with PSN, so they can price the games however they want.

THEGoD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 THEGoD1
Member since 2009 • 741 Posts

Sonys sick money scheme

hyperkass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hyperkass
Member since 2009 • 938 Posts

Well, Sony have no competition..

There not introducing a UMD transfer system..

but UMDS, still much better

megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23161 Posts

When downloading, we're practically buying multiple copies to use if one of them gets corrupted. You can't do that with UMDs; you'd have to buy a new copy at full price. Also, there are no other companies competing with PSN, so they can price the games however they want.

Phoenix534
With the UMD, why would you have to pay full price?
spyroiskool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 spyroiskool
Member since 2009 • 936 Posts

Well, you will never lose a digital download.

Vexx88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#11 Vexx88
Member since 2006 • 33342 Posts
Because you actually bought the PSPGo. :P
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Phoenix534

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

megagene

With the UMD, why would you have to pay full price?

Well, you'd have to pay the full price of what the store is charging.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Because Sony is trying to get more moolah from those who unfortunately bought a PSPGo.

e575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 e575
Member since 2009 • 681 Posts

You would THINK Sony would want to make the digital download an appealing medium and cut some deals here and there. Especially since all the profits are going to them, as they've cut out the middleman. Instead, they price many of the downloads above what the UMD would cost. I think part of this is that they don't want to completely cut out the middle man and piss off retailers. Part of it is just greed - they have a monopoly on the source of games if you have a PSP Go. Also, if you've ever noticed,sites like Sony.comare always the last to drop a price on a game, even though you think you might get a deal by buying directly from them. They try to keep it going at original retail value as long as possible.

a lot of you are talking about used UMD prices when you say it can be found cheaper, though. Granted, you can fine UMDs brand new at slashed prices, as well.

Snrm007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Snrm007
Member since 2009 • 268 Posts
Yeah i much rather have a actually disk over a download. BUT still i dont see why it is more it being just a download
wwefanforlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#16 wwefanforlife
Member since 2006 • 3248 Posts

Not sure but it's a quicker way of Sony making more money. People say you can't lose a digital download yes you can if you download the game more then 5 times thats it you have to pay for it again. If your PSP Go dies out eventually then you will have lost it. I'd rather have them on a disc then I know I've got a backup of the game plus it's taken up other memory and if I don't like the game I can get rid of it a digital download isn't worth anything.

Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#17 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts
because sony is doing everything they can to make sure the psp go remains a stupid decision.
roosuu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 roosuu
Member since 2009 • 1084 Posts

Phoenix534

But, you can only download 5 times before you have to buy it again....

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Phoenix534

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

roosuu

You can only use a UMD one lifetime. If it breaks, it's broken. No free replacement. So, with UMD you're paying for one copy, and with download you get five.

ProntoD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 ProntoD
Member since 2009 • 52 Posts

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

roosuu

Isn't it possible to buy, download the game then just copy it to your computer?

lostcali8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 lostcali8
Member since 2005 • 2548 Posts

[QUOTE="roosuu"]

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

Phoenix534

You can only use a UMD one lifetime. If it breaks, it's broken. No free replacement. So, with UMD you're paying for one copy, and with download you get five.

Never in my lifetime have I broken, or seen someone break a UMD through routine use.

GymFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GymFox
Member since 2009 • 709 Posts

Because you actually bought the PSPGo. :PVexx88

:cry: i know!! Bummer!! Dissidia is 40$ on PSN!!! Ridiculous.... I guess no awesome FF battling action for my broke ***

soulpiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 soulpiper
Member since 2008 • 72 Posts
Ive owned umd's for 3.5 years and not one has broken. This point is invalid
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Phoenix534

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

[QUOTE="roosuu"]But, you can only download 5 times before you have to buy it again....

lostcali8

Never in my lifetime have I broken, or seen someone break a UMD through routine use.

Neither have I. But crazier things have happened.

Avatar image for bowchikawowowow
bowchikawowowow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bowchikawowowow
Member since 2009 • 69 Posts

First of all, most PSN downloads are either cheaper or the same price as the UMDs, and second of all, PSN gives 5 downloads for one good price, finally GTA:CTW is the same price on UMD and on PSN, sheesh get ur facts rite

GymFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GymFox
Member since 2009 • 709 Posts

First of all, most PSN downloads are either cheaper or the same price as the UMDs, and second of all, PSN gives 5 downloads for one good price, finally GTA:CTW is the same price on UMD and on PSN, sheesh get ur facts rite

bowchikawowowow

If you go to a standard game store, then yes you are correct. But you can find games either used or on the net for WAY cheaper then the normal asking price. DD are supposed to be much cheaper because of the above reasons at the beginning. Extremely valid points. PSN is simply a rip off. I love the games to death but I cannot bring myself to pay 40$ for a digital copy...

lostcali8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lostcali8

[QUOTE="lostcali8"]

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

Phoenix534

Neither have I. But crazier things have happened.

True that.

mralspsp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mralspsp
Member since 2006 • 149 Posts

When you buy a DD from PSN, you can download it as many times as you want. The downloads are limited to 5 registered PSP devices.

blacknight06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 blacknight06
Member since 2006 • 1422 Posts

I've always hated UMDs because they're soo noisy

BonoBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BonoBoy
Member since 2002 • 587 Posts

I've always hated UMDs because they're soo noisy

blacknight06
i don't have too many problems with UMD...in fact I quite like the format for games...this is quite true though... The move towards DD and the PSPGo is also to deal with piracy and UMD ripping let's not forget that
blacknight06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 blacknight06

I always envy people that do that because i've always been loyal and now i have to put up with steep digital download prices ; (

Josh5890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Josh5890
Member since 2007 • 1025 Posts

PSN downloads should be cheaper. How do you think iTunes became so popular, not by charging $14.99 a CD like retailers do.

I think that the main problem with the PSN isn't the prices. It is the fact that not even half the games are available for PSP Go users

blacknight06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 blacknight06

I think the whole PSP library needs more games...

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#34 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

Ive owned umd's for 3.5 years and not one has broken. This point is invalidsoulpiper

yeah i have never had a cartridge, CD, DVD, or UMD ever break on me. and i've been gaming for like 29 years. your psp is more likely to break than a umd.

but anyways..... to the TC: I dont think UMDs of NEW games are actually cheaper than NEW games on the psn. Can you tell me ONE good example of a UMD version of a game cheaper than it is on the PSN? Gran turismo, God of War, Ratchet and Clank, Motorstorm, and all the GTA games seem to be the same price NEW in stores as they sell for on the psn.

edit: of course buying a Used UMD game is WAY cheaper than buying a digital version OR a new copy of the game. Thats just common sense.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

The PSN prices really need to go down. But I guess another point to the advantage of DD is that your games will be on your PSP and you wouldn't need to switch UMDs or carry cases around. But I haven't bought any games cause I have no space on my 2000, lol.

lostcali8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lostcali8

[QUOTE="soulpiper"]Ive owned umd's for 3.5 years and not one has broken. This point is invalidTalldude80

yeah i have never had a cartridge, CD, DVD, or UMD ever break on me. and i've been gaming for like 29 years. your psp is more likely to break than a umd.

but anyways..... to the TC: I dont think UMDs of NEW games are actually cheaper than NEW games on the psn. Can you tell me ONE good example of a UMD version of a game cheaper than it is on the PSN? Gran turismo, God of War, Ratchet and Clank, Motorstorm, and all the GTA games seem to be the same price NEW in stores as they sell for on the psn.

edit: of course buying a Used UMD game is WAY cheaper than buying a digital version OR a new copy of the game. Thats just common sense.

Almost every game you've mentioned has gone on sale brand new at a cheaper price already. Motorstorm is 29.99 as it's used counterpart is now 24.99..

Gran Turismo was just on sale at Best Buy, forget what the price was but it was 5 or 6 bucks cheaper on Amazon as well. Ratchet and Clank is 9.99 new, 6.99 used. Resistance is 19.99 now, compared to it's release day price of 39.99 via PSN. Secret Agent Clank is 19.99 now, 39.99 at launch. Driver 76, Gangs of London, Swat Target Liberty, all have dropped to bargain bin prices new, and there still a good 19.99 on the store. (Gangs of London being 22.99 FTW). The Warriors is 14.99 new, it was 19.99 at launch (just picked that one up at Best Buy actually). I could go on and on.

The prices on the US PSN are terrible. Don't kid yourself.

Not to mention buying used, which drastically lowers the price, and nets you a pretty sweet return deal in the process.

But I'm not against digital content by any means, even feel kind of bad for all the GO users. The starting prices on their game selection is just ridiculous. Electronic licensing rights/downloads should never be more expensive than tangible media..

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
Because digital distribution is evil.
Hct13345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Hct13345
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
because sony is adding the price of gas in your parents car to the game's price. duh.
barny0111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#39 barny0111
Member since 2007 • 255 Posts

blacknight06
Yes Yes & Yes. Plus the introduction of digital downloads has been a mix up. If its cheaper to by through PSN, than everybody uses PSN and the guy owning the local game store goes broke. The local guy then stops supporting Sony. Nobody wins. What they should have done is introduce a system where you can purchase the download from a physical store, upon which you can download it through the PSN. That way it can still be a physical thing sold and at a cheaper price if there is a sale or something, and force Sony to put more 3rd party games online. Still doesn't stop the extinction of the second hand cheaper alternative. I guess we're living in a 'buy, use once, then throw it away' type of world.
FILIPINOMAZTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FILIPINOMAZTER
Member since 2008 • 1627 Posts
[QUOTE="blacknight06"]

barny0111
Yes Yes & Yes. Plus the introduction of digital downloads has been a mix up. If its cheaper to by through PSN, than everybody uses PSN and the guy owning the local game store goes broke. The local guy then stops supporting Sony. Nobody wins. What they should have done is introduce a system where you can purchase the download from a physical store, upon which you can download it through the PSN. That way it can still be a physical thing sold and at a cheaper price if there is a sale or something, and force Sony to put more 3rd party games online. Still doesn't stop the extinction of the second hand cheaper alternative. I guess we're living in a 'buy, use once, then throw it away' type of world.

well said
JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

Phoenix534

True but I rather loose one game instead of potentially my entire library.

dpeete1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 dpeete1
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I do think Sony missed the boat on using the PSP back catalog to shame the iPhone with cheap games. Any game that has been around for a 1 year should be $19.99 max, 2 years $9.99 and 3 years $4.99.

However one thing that is good for me with digital content is we have 3 PSP in my family. We ALL get a copy of the game for the download price.

Luigi12901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#43 Luigi12901
Member since 2009 • 1243 Posts

I do think Sony missed the boat on using the PSP back catalog to shame the iPhone with cheap games. Any game that has been around for a 1 year should be $19.99 max, 2 years $9.99 and 3 years $4.99.

However one thing that is good for me with digital content is we have 3 PSP in my family. We ALL get a copy of the game for the download price.

dpeete1

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. (Especially with physical games...games can have been out forever, and still not geta price drop)

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#44 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
If you feel Sony has been doing some stupid things lately, don't give them your money. There are other ways :lol:
cojeda9091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 cojeda9091
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

The whole reason because the UMD's are chepear is because they wanna get rid of them. The PSN downloads are being promoted so they can eliminate costs.

Bigboss232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Bigboss232
Member since 2006 • 4997 Posts

I like DD because of no tax $20.00 purchase is just that.

Luigi12901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Luigi12901

Bigboss232

Unless you're using a PSN card...because don't you have to pay tax for those in-store anyway? So I'd think that unless you're using a credit card, you're still paying tax.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Phoenix534

[QUOTE="Bigboss232"]

Luigi12901

Unless you're using a PSN card...because don't you have to pay tax for those in-store anyway? So I'd think that unless you're using a credit card, you're still paying tax.

You're not paying tax if you use a debit card.

Luigi12901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Luigi12901

[QUOTE="Luigi12901"]

[QUOTE="Bigboss232"]

Phoenix534

You're not paying tax if you use a debit card.

Credit card/debit card...same basic idea (unless you want to get into economics on a gaming forum.......). Unless you're using one of those directly (via PSN), you're paying tax.

fla4m3b0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 fla4m3b0y
Member since 2009 • 55 Posts

because it is downloaded media making it a huge file that in a way is easier for buyers to get. The stores have lower prices to continue to compete in the psp market which got harder since the go lacks umds! So in a way sony thinks it can get more money out of you by making your life easier so not to go out to the store!