Why so much Killzone hype?

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

blitzinger123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 blitzinger123
Member since 2005 • 2370 Posts
The first killzone wasnt that amazing. I agree with those (I think all ps fans lol) that say the KZ2 trailer is a big deal. That was very nice, rendered or not. But I dont think all this hype should be built on 1 video. The original killzone controls were sluggish and it took forever to kill someone in multiplayer. Hopefully KZ2 will speed things up
truesKill87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 truesKill87
Member since 2007 • 282 Posts
Kilzzone 1 WAS amazing. It was underrated. It was a solid 8.0+ game. It sold well. They had high ambitions and iIt was limited by PS2 hardware, PS3 wont limit Guerilla.
WARRZONE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 WARRZONE
Member since 2006 • 1308 Posts
Part of it is because of the E3 2005 video.
jwat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jwat4
Member since 2003 • 1934 Posts
The first killzone wasnt that amazing. I agree with those (I think all ps fans lol) that say the KZ2 trailer is a big deal. That was very nice, rendered or not. But I dont think all this hype should be built on 1 video. The original killzone controls were sluggish and it took forever to kill someone in multiplayer. Hopefully KZ2 will speed things upblitzinger123
Its because it has a budget of like 55 million dollars and is something like the most media project ever created in its country that its being developed in...and also..because everyone made a big deal out of the trailer...and when you add the fact that noone has said anything about it makes it well...interesting enough to hype up...?
Lord_DoDo56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#5 Lord_DoDo56
Member since 2005 • 960 Posts
Nah I think they said it's like 100 million or somehting like that. They say they are going to make it all CG and that nothing isn't as good as the trailer. If that is possible...
blitzinger123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 blitzinger123
Member since 2005 • 2370 Posts
[QUOTE="blitzinger123"]The first killzone wasnt that amazing. I agree with those (I think all ps fans lol) that say the KZ2 trailer is a big deal. That was very nice, rendered or not. But I dont think all this hype should be built on 1 video. The original killzone controls were sluggish and it took forever to kill someone in multiplayer. Hopefully KZ2 will speed things upjwat4
Its because it has a budget of like 55 million dollars and is something like the most media project ever created in its country that its being developed in...and also..because everyone made a big deal out of the trailer...and when you add the fact that noone has said anything about it makes it well...interesting enough to hype up...?

I gave the you excuse that it was hyped because of the trailer. I admit the trailer was good but its not worth this much hype. It might be like halo, but the original was not a halo. I dont have anything against this game, I just think we shouldnt put this much faith that it'll be the prophet of FPS people are making it out to be
mohammad112388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mohammad112388
Member since 2006 • 609 Posts
I'm hoping it does, and i dont doubt the hardware. But Idont think it is gonna be like the trailer. Phil Harrison said motor storm looks like the E3 trailer, but i disagree. The E3 trailer was more vivid, and fluid in motion
G-Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 G-Legend
Member since 2005 • 7387 Posts
With the 120 Dev team, over 100 million dollars to make the amount of time they've had and how quiet they've kept this title, I think it will be amazing :D
DA_B0MB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DA_B0MB
Member since 2005 • 9938 Posts
I don;t know why but the Killzone universe intrests me so much...
MGS9150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MGS9150
Member since 2004 • 2491 Posts
Killzone 1 was a great game, with a little bit more polish it could have been AMAZING. It is underrated.
DA_B0MB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DA_B0MB
Member since 2005 • 9938 Posts
With the 120 Dev team, over 100 million dollars to make the amount of time they've had and how quiet they've kept this title, I think it will be amazing :DG-Legend
100 frickin million for ONE game?!?!?! Guerilla can't afford to screw the second one up. Seriously. They can't. :(
G-Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 G-Legend

[QUOTE="G-Legend"]With the 120 Dev team, over 100 million dollars to make the amount of time they've had and how quiet they've kept this title, I think it will be amazing :DDA_B0MB
100 frickin million for ONE game?!?!?! Guerilla can't afford to screw the second one up. Seriously. They can't. :(

Well Final Fantasy games cost around that much, and if you think about it if they get great sales (especially if they live up to the hype) they will make that back easily. Each game retails for $59.99 if they sell 1 million copies theres 60 million. And that's if they sell 1 million I'm betting if they live up to the hype they will sell around 2 million or so.

-Hassan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 -Hassan-
Member since 2004 • 188 Posts
Killzone 1 was a great game, with a little bit more polish it could have been AMAZING. It is underrated.MGS9150
Honestly, your wrong. Killzone was a good idea but it was a terrible game. We shouldnt blame the ps2 lack of power for this game, it was just a bad bad game. And it DID NOT sell well.
truesKill87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 truesKill87
Member since 2007 • 282 Posts
[QUOTE="MGS9150"]Killzone 1 was a great game, with a little bit more polish it could have been AMAZING. It is underrated.-Hassan-
Honestly, your wrong. Killzone was a good idea but it was a terrible game. We shouldnt blame the ps2 lack of power for this game, it was just a bad bad game. And it DID NOT sell well.

why lie?
tool_rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 tool_rage
Member since 2005 • 756 Posts
[QUOTE="MGS9150"]Killzone 1 was a great game, with a little bit more polish it could have been AMAZING. It is underrated.-Hassan-

Yeah, Killzone sucked.  They claimed to have a Halo killer, and really they didn't even have a MoH killer. (MoH is trash)
superdoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 superdoob
Member since 2006 • 85 Posts

[QUOTE="DA_B0MB"][QUOTE="G-Legend"]With the 120 Dev team, over 100 million dollars to make the amount of time they've had and how quiet they've kept this title, I think it will be amazing :DG-Legend

Well Final Fantasy games cost around that much, and if you think about it if they get great sales (especially if they live up to the hype) they will make that back easily. Each game retails for $59.99 if they sell 1 million copies theres 60 million. And that's if they sell 1 million I'm betting if they live up to the hype they will sell around 2 million or so.

uh fail
a game company doensnt make the full $60 a game costs
they gets whats left after paying for marketing, the publishers and the retailers like 40 percent not 100
G-Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 G-Legend
[QUOTE="G-Legend"]

[QUOTE="DA_B0MB"][QUOTE="G-Legend"]With the 120 Dev team, over 100 million dollars to make the amount of time they've had and how quiet they've kept this title, I think it will be amazing :Dsuperdoob

uh fail
a game company doensnt make the full $60 a game costs
they gets whats left after paying for marketing, the publishers and the retailers like 40 percent not 100

Okay well they'll atleast make some money off of the games and considering Sony pays them too.

BackFlip101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BackFlip101
Member since 2005 • 676 Posts
Some people are saying 100 million is that true? its a very unrealistic number. I thought it was 20 million last time i heard.
WARRZONE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 WARRZONE
Member since 2006 • 1308 Posts

[QUOTE="DA_B0MB"][QUOTE="G-Legend"]With the 120 Dev team, over 100 million dollars to make the amount of time they've had and how quiet they've kept this title, I think it will be amazing :DG-Legend

But Square Enix can afford those losses. They can also afford to make their own engine, which is why it suprised me that they are going to use the Unreal 3 engine in some future games. Also, Guerrilla didn't spend $100 million on it. The project cost a little over $20 million, which is still a lot.
G-Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 G-Legend
[QUOTE="G-Legend"]

[QUOTE="DA_B0MB"][QUOTE="G-Legend"]With the 120 Dev team, over 100 million dollars to make the amount of time they've had and how quiet they've kept this title, I think it will be amazing :DWARRZONE

But Square Enix can afford those losses. They can also afford to make their own engine, which is why it suprised me that they are going to use the Unreal 3 engine in some future games. Also, Guerrilla didn't spend $100 million on it. The project cost a little over $20 million, which is still a lot.

Oh I remember reading $100 million and that it was the most for a Netherland Developed game ever.

notdead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 notdead
Member since 2006 • 188 Posts
[QUOTE="G-Legend"]

[QUOTE="DA_B0MB"][QUOTE="G-Legend"]With the 120 Dev team, over 100 million dollars to make the amount of time they've had and how quiet they've kept this title, I think it will be amazing :DWARRZONE

its just over 20million and sony is throwing a bone
Theempire30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Theempire30
Member since 2006 • 2420 Posts
 I like the whole idea on the first one, but it was just missing something. Hopefully they can fix that on the second one. I did find the trailer rather good, but it dint sell me on to the game much.
BackFlip101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BackFlip101
Member since 2005 • 676 Posts
^^(2 posts up) yea thats what i thought. but anyways for 20 million that game better be pretty F****** awsome.
KurupSoldr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 KurupSoldr
Member since 2006 • 4094 Posts
how can you say this game was limited by the PS3 hardware after games like god of war and MGS3 came out on the system, i thought it was an ok game but was not the best ever, so i wonder myself what all the hype is. One screen that looked good does not deserve this much hype i want to see some gameplay. i do think after how the first one was, they do want to make up for it and realize that need to make themselves on the ps3 so hopefully
zero_cool098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 zero_cool098
Member since 2006 • 1886 Posts

Oh I remember reading $100 million and that it was the most for a Netherland Developed game ever.

omg you guys its not 100million, its only 21 million....final fantasy XII is 35 million
bondps3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 bondps3
Member since 2007 • 512 Posts
it is hyped b/c of E3 2005. but i think it will be somewhat as good as that vid, since they have such a large budget, great system and alot of time to make it. i cant wait
DylanDJK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DylanDJK
Member since 2005 • 2001 Posts

I'm hoping it does, and i dont doubt the hardware. But Idont think it is gonna be like the trailer. Phil Harrison said motor storm looks like the E3 trailer, but i disagree. The E3 trailer was more vivid, and fluid in motion mohammad112388

What trailer are you looking at? Sure Motorstorm doesnt LOOK like its trailer but changed art direction(more brighter and vibrant) and different lighting(The RETAIL GAME is vivid, the E3 trailer was dark and gloomy like). Fluid in motion, not really its about the same ingame. It just lacks the in car view imo.

8Slick8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 8Slick8
Member since 2006 • 196 Posts
the first killzone wanst OMG i have to have it type game but what was good about the game was the weapons in my opinon waay better than halo, and the levels was creative (almost like black) now throw some muti player and good looking graphics in the second 1 and you have a nice hyped game
KaptainKernal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 KaptainKernal
Member since 2006 • 1787 Posts
KILLZONE did sell well it became agreatest hits and even is still the number 1 amount sold FPS in Poland. And it was underrated. but unpolished was worth it though.
kinq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kinq
Member since 2004 • 931 Posts
To recognize Killzone E305 was CGI was so easy a caveman can do it.
Avatar image for deactivated-57a12126af02c
deactivated-57a12126af02c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-57a12126af02c
Member since 2007 • 3290 Posts
if it cost 100million bones it would not be on a console, prolly a pc
NextGenNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NextGenNow
Member since 2007 • 2622 Posts
Killzone 1 was a great game, with a little bit more polish it could have been AMAZING. It is underrated.MGS9150
Anyone who disagrees with this person and his more than correct answer which we will call "morect" defines the word gimp.
NextGenNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 NextGenNow
Member since 2007 • 2622 Posts
To recognize Killzone E305 was CGI was so easy a caveman can do it.kinq
HEY!!...hey!...hey.....you stop that...you hear me? You stop that.....
Uzburacuz9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Uzburacuz9
Member since 2007 • 712 Posts
I have killzone. and i honestly love it. i think the graphics are pretty good and so is the story line. my only problem with it is the damn sniper. you cant aim that thing for sh*t. Helghast rule!!
Goku004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Goku004
Member since 2006 • 754 Posts
All the hype is not built on one trailer, but the fact that there is hardly any information on the game, Sony is keeping it very secretive, is know doubt an indication of making it a suprise to everyone. I do believe this game is gonna push the PS3's power and suprise everyone. There's already been word of it looking like the trailer and some aspects of it exceeding the trailer. And you cannot deny the killzone 2 trailer was awesome.
odin2019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 odin2019
Member since 2006 • 4677 Posts

I don't know how many people worked on the first killzone or how much money they put into the game but killzone 2 has around 120 people working on it and not to mention over 100 million dollars being spent on to make the game.

If I had to bet I would say the first killzone didn't spend half of a 100 million dollars to make the game and probably didn't have near the amount of people working on the game.

mohammad112388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mohammad112388
Member since 2006 • 609 Posts
All the hype is not built on one trailer, but the fact that there is hardly any information on the game, Sony is keeping it very secretive, is know doubt an indication of making it a suprise to everyone. I do believe this game is gonna push the PS3's power and suprise everyone. There's already been word of it looking like the trailer and some aspects of it exceeding the trailer. And you cannot deny the killzone 2 trailer was awesome.Goku004
Wrong. All the HYPE is built on that video.
Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Rakuho
Member since 2007 • 7008 Posts
It'll probably be a great game but i don't like where all this hype is heading. Overhyping leads to disappointment, because in that sense the expectations will mostly always be greater than the reality. For sony's sake i hope it's as badass a' game as they portrayed...
Rakuho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Rakuho
Member since 2007 • 7008 Posts

I don't know how many people worked on the first killzone or how much money they put into the game but killzone 2 has around 120 people working on it and not to mention over 100 million dollars being spent on to make the game.

If I had to bet I would say the first killzone didn't spend half of a 100 million dollars to make the game and probably didn't have near the amount of people working on the game.

odin2019

$100 mill? u sure? it took about 10 mill to make Gears. u sure it's that much more expensive?  u know with that math they'll have to sell  approx. 1.7 million copies just to break even. if u don't belive me do the simple math. Gears sold about 2 mil. and we can only hope KZ will sell that much but they'll nedd to sell way more than that to make a real profit, and i don't see that happening. I didn't look but you should check your sources on those insane numbers.

onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 onemic
Member since 2003 • 5616 Posts
hype is there for killzone 2 not only for the video, but because the original killzone had so much potential to be much better than what the final product came out to be, and if killzone: liberation is any indication then the devs really are working their butts off to make sure that the potential that killzone has doesn't go to waste when they finish working on killzone 2.
Alpha2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Alpha2
Member since 2003 • 3203 Posts
The budget is more like 50 million, 100 million would be ridculous.

Terminator2 cost 100 million.

The hype comes from the desire for something to knock Halo off it's FPSthrone. The game is being placed on a pedestal as a watermark for PS3 system power. People want to see it achive the same thing as that movie because it's been such a hot topic on whether or not the system can actually do something close to that.
Avatar image for deactivated-61ff675e61178
deactivated-61ff675e61178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-61ff675e61178
Member since 2004 • 12558 Posts

Remember, KZ2 has cost over $20 million SO FAR. By the time it gets even close to being finished, that number will have gone way up.

Also, i agree, KZ1 was very underrated. Aside from a few graphical glitches (draw distances, etc.) the game was great. I really like the KZ universe. I'm not really into fps, so i need a good story to get me into a shooter. The whole Helghast conflict was really interesting.  

The devs at the time were rushed, and they were rookies.  They are improving, though, as shown by KZ: Liberation.

Also, KZ2 is being worked on by more than just the original 40-man team from Guerilla.  Sony has added another 80 of its own developers to the team, making it a total of 120 devs working on KZ2, more than any other game, ever, to my knowledge.

Very few games have ever passed the $20 million budget mark.  Lost Planet cost roughly $20 million in the end and Gears of War cost less than $10 million.  For KZ2 to have already surpassed $20 million, and yet to still be this far from completion, plus the added 80 devs, shows just how much Sony is putting into this game. 

Modbetto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Modbetto
Member since 2006 • 775 Posts
The first killzone wasnt that amazing. I agree with those (I think all ps fans lol) that say the KZ2 trailer is a big deal. That was very nice, rendered or not. But I dont think all this hype should be built on 1 video. The original killzone controls were sluggish and it took forever to kill someone in multiplayer. Hopefully KZ2 will speed things upblitzinger123
What are you talkin about??? The controls were identical to resistance......Killzone was a GREAT game...it only had one problem...the graphics didn't give it what it deserved....
DylanDJK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DylanDJK
Member since 2005 • 2001 Posts

hype is there for killzone 2 not only for the video, but because the original killzone had so much potential to be much better than what the final product came out to be, and if killzone: liberation is any indication then the devs really are working their butts off to make sure that the potential that killzone has doesn't go to waste when they finish working on killzone 2. onemic

I agree, I LOVE KZ:LB, really fun game but my PSP broke AGAIN on me so i have to wait for a new LCD screen... The PSP is an amazing handheld...when its working!

psyko7144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 psyko7144
Member since 2005 • 632 Posts
The weapons were corny, the graphics were subpar, and like the guy said earlier, it took way to long to kill somebody head shot or not. Hopefully KZ2 will live up to the hype of the first game. I liked the environment though, but the game was a 7 at best.
AliasUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AliasUK
Member since 2006 • 872 Posts
I don't think KZ2 will look like the trailer at all. The trailer is like DX10 material, and the PS3 doesn't do DX10. The PS3 is good, but it ain't that good.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#47 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
Kilzzone 1 WAS amazing. It was underrated. It was a solid 8.0+ game. It sold well. They had high ambitions and iIt was limited by PS2 hardware, PS3 wont limit Guerilla.truesKill87
Killzone 2 isn't hyped because 'Killzone 1 was amazing,' it's hyped because Sony promised the moon to gamers with that CGI trailer. PS3 won't limit Guerilla... Guerilla will limit Guerilla. They didn't even produce that trailer.
ogie_s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ogie_s
Member since 2003 • 218 Posts

I'm one of those who actually did like Killzone. I liked the art direction, story, and weapons (except for the stupid sniper rifle). I think it was underrated mainly because of the hype surrounding it but despite it's glitches I thought it was a solid enough game to build a franchise on.

We have to rememeber that Killzone was Guerilla's first shooter and maiden big game project. Even Halo didn't just come out of nowhere for Bungie. Prior to Halo Bungie had put out at least two Marathon games for the Mac so they already had two shooters under their belt before coming out with Halo. I say we give Guerrila another chance to deliver but just not get too hyped over a game we so far have little concrete knowledge of.

If they do put out a demo to challenge the Halo 3 beta and it delivers that would be something. Let's at least wait til then.

blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49 blacktorn
Member since 2004 • 8299 Posts
Yh i agree that the original killzone wasn't all that,but it was ok compared to other shooters available on the ps2.

And the reason why Killzone 2 is being hyped is because the trailer was the best looking trailer ever,even better than crysis and ff13.
bezaire2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 bezaire2005
Member since 2005 • 3635 Posts

[QUOTE="-Hassan-"][QUOTE="MGS9150"]Killzone 1 was a great game, with a little bit more polish it could have been AMAZING. It is underrated.truesKill87

why lie?

6.9/10 does not sound like a lie to me.