why does mgs4 need to sell 1 mil on day 1?

• 49 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

d_ano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 1

#1 d_ano
Member since 2005 • 2522 Posts

i find it a bit weird that they need to sell 1 million copys in 1 day. why do they so urgently need to sell 1 million? why couldnt they have 1 million in a week which would be a little more likely to happen.

and what if they dont sell 1 million? does this mean the game that 'will never come to 360' because it wont show the game off the way kojima wants it too will realy come out on it?

i dont see what konami are thinking in 1 day. the game is out in japan first and i cant see how there will be 1 million sold in japan alone on the first day.

can anyone explain whats going on with this?

Deviltrigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 Deviltrigger
Member since 2003 • 343 Posts
marketing...now that this is public, everybody will want to buy it on day one.
d_ano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 d_ano

marketing...now that this is public, everybody will want to buy it on day one.Deviltrigger

but for what reason? im not going to be threatened by konami into buying the game on day 1. they are pretty much telling us ps3 owners if we dont buy it on day 1 it wont be exclusive.

just to be an a$$ id like to buy it on day 2 just so they wont win. too bad i love the game so much that i will buy it on day 1

kazuya_m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 kazuya_m
Member since 2004 • 1752 Posts

i find it a bit weird that they need to sell 1 million copys in 1 day. why do they so urgently need to sell 1 million? why couldnt they have 1 million in a week which would be a little more likely to happen.

and what if they dont sell 1 million? does this mean the game that 'will never come to 360' because it wont show the game off the way kojima wants it too will realy come out on it?

i dont see what konami are thinking in 1 day. the game is out in japan first and i cant see how there will be 1 million sold in japan alone on the first day.

d_ano

GS is just overacting. Don't know why they sooo much hope that this game also comes to 360, or trying to spread this port rumor with some sort of changing facts around and around or why it's such a mega news that it has to sell 1 million on day one or every one will die. What if it sells 500000 on day one and 600000 on day two... or do they expect that the game sells everyday 1 million copies?

hell jesus christ, this news article was just released to flame some users here who are pi***** of GS being biased, that's all. Better going to ignore those m****** and Konami ain't much better... nice try to hype their product... too bad that GS makes a rumor source out of it.

Deviltrigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Deviltrigger
Member since 2003 • 343 Posts
probably kojima and konami want to break the 1st day sales record with mgs4, i think halo 3 sold the most in the 1st day so far
ScorpiuS739

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ScorpiuS739
Member since 2004 • 478 Posts
They are saying that to let the market know they need that security of 1 mill. so all these years and money it cost for devolpment, this game will be top notch and it will be absolutely amazing, i really really hope it even destroys that 1 million mark, I know all of my friends along w/ myself will all have copies day 1.
gagit811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gagit811
Member since 2005 • 3632 Posts

its because the game development cost has ballooned. They have to sell millions just to brake even. the need a Gears of war, halo 3 # in the first week to make the publishers happy and to turn some type of profit

jams_shop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jams_shop
Member since 2004 • 973 Posts

d_ano

Didn't they say that MGS4 will lunch world wide simultaneously.

so selling 1 million copies in day one won't be that hard... I think.

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts
My guess would be the interviewer asked "How much have production costs been for the development of MGS4?" to which the response was "Roughly, MGS4 would have to sell about 1mil copies on Day 1 to cover everything when it's done." Unless Kojima-san's Hello Kitty collection has been stolen and he struck a deal with the thieves to pay them the exact yen equivalent of 1 million copies of MGS4 to return his precious kitties!
bigstokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bigstokes
Member since 2004 • 114 Posts

They dont as a company you want your money back as soon as possible if they sold that many they would make all the money back and its all profit after that.

campbell1874

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 campbell1874
Member since 2006 • 1920 Posts

Look at the facts.

1) MGS4 has a massive budget meaning it has to sell big just to make it money back. No company makes games without thinking about profit.

2) The PS3 console sales figures are nothing like Konami thought there where going to be so he has less people to sell his game to.

3) The PS3 attach rate is far shorter than people expected it to be.

The one million figure for day one is over the top but they have to point out to people that this game has to look like it going to sell. So they will hype it as much as possible and will probably give it longer than a day before seeing how well the game is going to sell.

If the game doesn't sell quick and Sony doesn't have any agreement to help with the costs then they have to start thinking about how they can get there money back on a multi-million pound investment and the easiest way to do that is port it to the 360 or the PC. I don't think they have every risked selling it on the PC market so they will try and keep it safe and go for the 360.

The reason why the MGS4 producers whould have to know straight away if the game is going to sell or not is because they would have to start on the 360 version right away. If they left it to long then by the time it comes out for the 360 it would be to dated and wouldn't sell for that reason.

The quotes show that Sony is already bring out the excuses.

"We understand publishers are needing to recoup their investment," said Sony senior VP of marketing Peter Dille in the report. "From our perspective, as long as the games aren't going exclusive to other platforms, PS3 gamers are not actually losing anything."

Dille went on to say that Sony is offsetting the dearth of third-party-developed PS3 exclusives by ramping up production at its internal studios. The exec noted that Sony currently has 15 in-house studios, more than Microsoft and Nintendo combined.

I know this ended up a wall of text.

pablito3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 pablito3
Member since 2005 • 254 Posts
lol it ain't coming to 360 anyways lolol. i think for mgs4 its not that hard to sell 1mill in the first day. its prob the most hyped game of all time.
feel_freetwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 feel_freetwo
Member since 2006 • 1888 Posts
marketing...now that this is public, everybody will want to buy it on day one.Deviltrigger
sadly the chances of 1 million people hearing about this is pretty slim. firstly you have to look how many people go to gaming websites, then thoese who go to forums, then thoses who own a ps3 then thoses who like metal gear, and then thoses who actually care. you are leaving yourself with a couple of thousand people who actually care. and no there is no reason why it must sell 1 million on day one, its a stupid comment by a stupid person.
feel_freetwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 feel_freetwo
lol it ain't coming to 360 anyways lolol. i think for mgs4 its not that hard to sell 1mill in the first day. its prob the most hyped game of all time.pablito3
yes it is going to come to xbox360. and theres no reason to think it wont. and no mgs4 is far from the most hyped game of all time microsoft made sure halo 3 took that crown. also its nearly impossible for the game to sell 1 million on its first day.
gordjt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 gordjt
Member since 2007 • 558 Posts
lol it ain't coming to 360 anyways lolol. i think for mgs4 its not that hard to sell 1mill in the first day. its prob the most hyped game of all time.pablito3
no one thought GTA was going to go to the XBOX, but when it did it didn't skip a beat, soI think it's VERY possible that 360 eventually gets MGS
bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 bigblunt537
Member since 2003 • 6907 Posts

[QUOTE="pablito3"]lol it ain't coming to 360 anyways lolol. i think for mgs4 its not that hard to sell 1mill in the first day. its prob the most hyped game of all time.gordjt
no one thought GTA was going to go to the XBOX, but when it did it didn't skip a beat, soI think it's VERY possible that 360 eventually gets MGS

How did NOONE think GTA4 was going to 360? The only shocking event was that both titles were being released on the same day. Sony only held the GTAs eries as a timed exclusives but i guarantee you that MGS4 will stay Sony exclusive. 2 way different scenarios. Just look at the psp MGSPO. Every PSP title has been selling like crap due to hacked firmwars etc. But MGS came around and out of no where japanese and everyonee sle were buying it like crazy.

cesarjr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 cesarjr14
Member since 2003 • 98 Posts
Just one little detail: The way MGS4 is looking, I'm not sure it will fit on any other media except Blue-Ray. Just an assumption, though...
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 emitsu97

Just one little detail: The way MGS4 is looking, I'm not sure it will fit on any other media except Blue-Ray. Just an assumption, though...cesarjr14

The audio alone is supposed to be huge. Kojima-san was pushing for using a dual-layer BD.

alcoholhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 alcoholhamster
Member since 2005 • 7496 Posts
people are saying "it might end up on 360 as well..." it won't. it'd cost too much, and really, i don't think it'd sell that well on 360. people just wouldn't be as interested. they *have* to sell enough quickly, they have no real other option.
Space_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 Space_Lion
Member since 2003 • 12856 Posts
And just like Square-enix, Konami and Kojima have said time and time again, that it is an exclusive. And so has SOny
Avatar image for kenshinhimura16
kenshinhimura16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 kenshinhimura16
Member since 2005 • 7009 Posts

[QUOTE="Deviltrigger"]marketing...now that this is public, everybody will want to buy it on day one.d_ano

but for what reason? im not going to be threatened by konami into buying the game on day 1. they are pretty much telling us ps3 owners if we dont buy it on day 1 it wont be exclusive.

just to be an a$$ id like to buy it on day 2 just so they wont win. too bad i love the game so much that i will buy it on day 1

As he said. Its all marketing. At tops they want to achieve a million in the first or second week. They know that a million in 1 day is a hard trick to pull and most likely impossible. Now, by saying that they NEED to sell them, is a really good stunt. People will freak, they will think that they will port it, and to avoid that will buy it the release day instead of a week later.

I was gonna get it later cause of import times anyway, so meh.

Just remember, its a marketing stunt.

YourDaddy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 YourDaddy88
Member since 2006 • 923 Posts

How much mem did they use on this game? It might not fit on a DVD9 and if that's the case...no go on a 360 port, unless it's some washed down version, in which case, would you buy it?

360 fanboys...go home. Don't come back unless it's official announced as a 360 port. Right now it's PS3 exclusive...get over it and stop crying about it.

feel_freetwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 feel_freetwo
And just like Square-enix, Konami and Kojima have said time and time again, that it is an exclusive. And so has SOnySpace_Lion
1- devil may cry was exculsive for the ps3 only a month before went multiplatform 2- developers talk ****. take this comment for example, its a nonsense comment, perhaps to convey the cost of the game, or perhaps he means to emphasis there goals. developers talk nonsense all the time, look at halo's developer story on gametrailers....halo has a epic story they say, no its a lame story whcih makes no sense,and apperently only 19 people died in a galatic war. 3- mgs4 is exculsive. mgs4 subsistencely (i added the "ly") isnt. its a logical choice, unless knoami's research show that it wont sell well on xbox (you or i are in no position to say weather it will). added on to the fact that kojima has sold out, and knoami is pretty much a money grabbing whore, liek all game companies (nintendo being the worst).
YourDaddy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 YourDaddy88
[QUOTE="YourDaddy88"]

How much mem did they use on this game? It might not fit on a DVD9 and if that's the case...no go on a 360 port, unless it's some washed down version, in which case, would you buy it?

360 fanboys...go home. Don't come back unless it's official announced as a 360 port. Right now it's PS3 exclusive...get over it and stop crying about it.

feel_freetwo

size is not a issue. darkness ps3= 18gb, on xbox360 its 9gb. the shear scope of mass effect puts any question of the imediate need for bluray out the window (one day, but not now) also all the space is being used on audio. i doubt you even have the expensive equiptment to play that sort of quality. and im not a xbox360 fanboy, im a logical human being.

Surround Sound is coming :) And still, no matter how much you compress, it will never be as good in quality (might not notice it either, but you get the point). In any case, I just hate it when 360 people come over to these threads to begin with. I don't go to their pages and start "it will be ported over...". Enough already. Both are next gen systems and both will have exclusives. I wonder if a game like MGS4 can be done on the Wii? Without losing content.

YourDaddy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 YourDaddy88
[QUOTE="YourDaddy88"]

feel_freetwo

size is not a issue. darkness ps3= 18gb, on xbox360 its 9gb. the shear scope of mass effect puts any question of the imediate need for bluray out the window (one day, but not now) also all the space is being used on audio. i doubt you even have the expensive equiptment to play that sort of quality. and im not a xbox360 fanboy, im a logical human being.

Btw...a decent surround sound system with HDMI input isn't that expensive and yeah, I got the dough.

No_SuRReNDeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#28 No_SuRReNDeR
Member since 2005 • 322 Posts

I dont think its going to matter too much, true 1 million in 1 day seems like a lot- Not unrealistic though. As long as Konami advertise the game way better than MGS3 --

Plus I think with a franchise like this and game that is one of the only reasons many of bought the PS3- Most folks are going to pre-order it ahead and I dont know about you all- but unless There is a hurricane or earthquake or my legs catch fire spontaiously im going to get my copy the day it comes in and so are most gamers. No need to play first with this one-

Bottom line-

solaris1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 solaris1979
Member since 2003 • 1592 Posts

Mass effect's world isn't all that huge. There are 5 very distinctively designed world, but all the planets were just vector maps with same buildings over and over. Granted there are lots of audio chats, but it's hard to imagine all audio files sums up to be over 1-200 mbs, a 10 sec speech doesn't need more then a few hundred kb of memory to encode. Don't get me wrong, Mass Effect is a good game, a long one too if you do the side mission as well, but I can think of a few games that has larger world than mass effect that requires just a few CDs.

YourDaddy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 YourDaddy88
If you think about it, given the mass apeal to most PS3 owners of this game, and the just over 3 million installed PS3 base, 1 million is 30% of that...doable. And by the time the game actualy gets released, there could be nearly 4 million PS3's out there, so they would only need to reach ~25% of all those. I don't know about in 1 day, but I'm sure they'll sell a million or more over time. It's not like people will stop buying the game after its 1st week either. New PS3 owners and people saving up for the game will eventually buy it, not all, but some. This game should continue to sell for months after its release.
skirlnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 skirlnik
Member since 2004 • 909 Posts

They "need" to sell a million the first day because if they don't the 500K (or fewer, or whatever) people who buy it are going to start trading their games in and new game sales will drop off sharply. Question: Why buy a new game for $60 when you can buy a like new game for $50? Answer: To support the video game industry and the people who work in it, and NOT the used game industry.

Seriously, this trend is what's really hurting the PS3. The people who need to read this won't, but please - IF YOU WANT TO GET RID OF A GAME USE EBAY NOT GAMESTOP.

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 emitsu97

They "need" to sell a million the first day because if they don't the 500K (or fewer, or whatever) people who buy it are going to start trading their games in and new game sales will drop off sharply. Question: Why buy a new game for $60 when you can buy a like new game for $50? Answer: To support the video game industry and the people who work in it, and NOT the used game industry.

Seriously, this trend is what's really hurting the PS3. The people who need to read this won't, but please - IF YOU WANT TO GET RID OF A GAME USE EBAY NOT GAMESTOP.

skirlnik

Sales aren't counted at retail, it's counted to retail. The companies that purchase MGS4 in quantity for resale are what comprise the 1mil figure. Vendor to Retailer and Retailer to Consumer are two different things.m Consumers prepurchasing are figured into retail companies' purchase orders but there's still in-store stock numbers to consider.

skirlnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 skirlnik
Member since 2004 • 909 Posts

So, what Emitsu, they want 1 million in stores on launch day? Minus whatever they sell? Does a company get $$ for every copy bought by a Gamestop, Best Buy, etc. and after that it doesn't matter how many people buy their game?

I don't follow, but I'd appreciate any clarification you've got for me.

Still, I feel my point is valid. Am I wrong?

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 emitsu97

The 1mil is units sold to retailers. Assuming it's a traditional relationship regarding sales and profits with Sony/Konami/Kojima Productions and retail outlets then the expected Day1 sales financials are figured on a static per unit sold from vendor to reseller. Given that it's a global launch over several markets with different currencies, varying daily exchange rates, and different market software resale margins (assuming it varies over markets), it's really the only quasi-calculable number.

Let me clarify, as far as most any company is concerened, business to business, units shipped is units sold. Sony isn't selling to consumers, Konami isn't selling to consumers, and Kojima Productions isn't selling to consumers. Retailers are the ones that track consumer sell through.

I agree completely with your point regarding consumer purchasing. Rent a game from Blockbuster for 5 days with a 7 day grace period if you don't think you'll have it that long instead of putting more and more money in GS/EB's pockets every time they resell.

Liquid-Prince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Liquid-Prince
Member since 2007 • 2277 Posts

If you think about it, given the mass apeal to most PS3 owners of this game, and the just over 3 million installed PS3 base, 1 million is 30% of that...doable. And by the time the game actualy gets released, there could be nearly 4 million PS3's out there, so they would only need to reach ~25% of all those. I don't know about in 1 day, but I'm sure they'll sell a million or more over time. It's not like people will stop buying the game after its 1st week either. New PS3 owners and people saving up for the game will eventually buy it, not all, but some. This game should continue to sell for months after its release.YourDaddy88

There is more then 3 million install base. It's actually closer to 6-7 million now.

Gamerboi27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 Gamerboi27
Member since 2005 • 3261 Posts

i hav a quick question.... does MGS4 have online multiplayer ?

i heard its 2 separate games or something

Avatar image for kenshinhimura16
kenshinhimura16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#37 kenshinhimura16
Member since 2005 • 7009 Posts

Gamerboi27

Its suppose to come with a try out demo of the likes.

The actual online thing will be a separate game

Gamerboi27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 Gamerboi27
Member since 2005 • 3261 Posts
[QUOTE="Gamerboi27"]

kenshinhimura16

wat!?...i seriously think thats lame as heck...unless of course the multiplayer game is not 60 bucks

Vashj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Vashj
Member since 2005 • 301 Posts
[QUOTE="kenshinhimura16"][QUOTE="Gamerboi27"]

Gamerboi27

wat!?...i seriously think thats lame as heck...unless of course the multi-player game is not 60 bucks

I believe you are kind of wrong.

Yes, there will will an MGS online-only game, but further details elude me.

I heardMGS4 will have its own online mode, prior to that other game.

Not 100% sure but that's what I got.

fastgamer01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 fastgamer01
Member since 2003 • 692 Posts

[QUOTE="Deviltrigger"]marketing...now that this is public, everybody will want to buy it on day one.d_ano

lol was going to put what kind of a metal gear fan wouldnt buy this on day one to find out what happens to be honest i think this is one of the games you will have to pre order hard to come by would also mark my first pre order in style :). i thinkthe fanbasewill grow to atleast another 500,000 new ps3 users waiting for the special mgs4 rumble deal going to be awesome

d_ano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 d_ano
[QUOTE="d_ano"]

[QUOTE="Deviltrigger"]marketing...now that this is public, everybody will want to buy it on day one.fastgamer01

lol was going to put what kind of a metal gear fan wouldnt buy this on day one to find out what happens to be honest i think this is one of the games you will have to pre order hard to come by would also mark my first pre order in style :). i thinkthe fanbasewill grow to atleast another 500,000 new ps3 users waiting for the special mgs4 rumble deal going to be awesome

ps3 owners are mad for games these days im sure it will sell like crazy its the best game ever, way better than halo but i still dont like the whole 1 mil on day 1 thing. konami are sounding greedy

mushi799

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mushi799
Member since 2006 • 1163 Posts
If it doesn't sell 1 million in one day, it's coming to the 360 - konami
snipe2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 snipe2004
Member since 2007 • 1872 Posts
to recoup losses from developement but it doesnt have to be on day one as it will eventually hit the 1M mark and then some but i believe itll happen anyway on day one as ill be one of the 1M
snipe2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 snipe2004
Member since 2007 • 1872 Posts

If it doesn't sell 1 million in one day, it's coming to the 360 - konamimushi799

well then konami you might as well put away those development tools for the 360

CSXLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#45 CSXLoser
Member since 2005 • 1621 Posts
hopefully the holidays would bring in more PS3s to other gamers. therefore more ps3s = higher chacne to break 1 million mark in 1st day.
barrett33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 barrett33
Member since 2007 • 215 Posts
it has noting to do with porting or anything of that matter. 1 million day 1 is just konami building up mgs4. they are letting us know just how big this project is. trust me if konami wants 1 mill in day 1 and gets it in week 1 it doesnt matter. its not like they have a debt to pay the day after the game comes out. they will get the same number of sales regardless of when people buy. 6 months from realease it will just show as sales and day doesnt matter. by saying that day 1 needs 1 million is not saying that if that doesnt happen it wont be able to recoop the losses of development, it is just saying that expectation are high and MGS4 is the game of 08. they are trying to remind people that mgs4 is comming and keeping people aware that its going to me huge
Sk8ter_213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Sk8ter_213
Member since 2003 • 4573 Posts
hmmm 1 million on day one??? i don't think its gonna happen
megadeth78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 megadeth78
Member since 2005 • 2676 Posts

My guess would be the interviewer asked "How much have production costs been for the development of MGS4?" to which the response was "Roughly, MGS4 would have to sell about 1mil copies on Day 1 to cover everything when it's done." Unless Kojima-san's Hello Kitty collection has been stolen and he struck a deal with the thieves to pay them the exact yen equivalent of 1 million copies of MGS4 to return his precious kitties!emitsu97

What the hell are you talking about? :lol:

NOZO006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 NOZO006
Member since 2007 • 65 Posts
they need to sell one million copies to get their profit in this really expensive game and because konami's stocks went down really badly because of MGS4 delay.
Avatar image for musclebound_meathead
musclebound_meathead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 musclebound_meathead
Member since 2004 • 194 Posts
Even if it is ported and it comes out on 360 like 2 years later, who cares? It wont be as good as on the PS3, because we all know ports are never as good as the original.