Why do America(ns) always have to be the good guys ?

• 165 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

Lets be honest,in reality there is no good guys or bad guys,you pick who you think is the enemy and vice versa.For some reason,prob due to some Hollywood influence,game developers seem to be following the route of 'America' good guys which is kinda getting boring for character dev dept.

For the sake of diversity,i think they shud try steer away from the america hero thingy and try make more japanesse,african,brazillain etc good guys

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

Because they're world's only Superpower right now.

Avatar image for PreparationH123
PreparationH123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 PreparationH123
Member since 2009 • 415 Posts

yea lol Americans are war junkies yet when fit hits the shan who's there? America. We do so much humanitarian work on this planet but the only thing that makes the news is our wars because it gets ratings. Open your mind...

Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Texas2089
Member since 2003 • 16490 Posts
Because we're awesome. and this:

Because they're world's only Superpower right now.

supa_badman
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 supa_badman
they are also war junkies and really do make the perfect bad guy if you think of it. make a game where the US invade another country claiming to find weapons cause said country is a threat when in reality they just want to slowly take over the country and turn it into a puppet state by instilling their own politics and terrorizing the people. The good guys would then be a rebel group trying to end the tyranny........Raid3nsnake
It did happen. It's called Iraq. It also happened in Nicaragua. They're not puppet governments anymore, but the US have done it.
Laser_Hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Laser_Hunter
Member since 2010 • 4780 Posts
they are also war junkies and really do make the perfect bad guy if you think of it. make a game where the US invade another country claiming to find weapons cause said country is a threat when in reality they just want to slowly take over the country and turn it into a puppet state by instilling their own politics and terrorizing the people. The good guys would then be a rebel group trying to end the tyranny........Raid3nsnake
LOL TC: probably cuz most of the games are made in the USA
Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

Actually i wasnt refering to some political thingy,i was refering to characters in a video game.Obviously someone said prob becuz the games are made in the US true point but then the US is a diverse country and when you make a game for a worldwide audience,you should realize not everyone is american.Its like watching the same chick flick over n over agen,ud prob know all the lines

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
I want a game where the player takes the place of the Taliban and attacks the Twin Towers. I want to see if the U.S goverment would allow it if not there breaking the first amendment.
Laser_Hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Laser_Hunter
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]I want a game where the player takes the place of the Taliban and attacks the Twin Towers. I want to see if the U.S goverment would allow it if not there breaking the first amendment.

I hope you realize the Taliban didn't attack the Twin Tower. :|
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Fightingfan

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]I want a game where the player takes the place of the Taliban and attacks the Twin Towers. I want to see if the U.S goverment would allow it if not there breaking the first amendment.Laser_Hunter

Thats not what the public thinks.

Kinda like how lincoln didn't end slavory but is given credit.

didn't happen till the 13th amendment.

machod_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 machod_19
Member since 2007 • 523 Posts

What people said because we are the super-power in the world. Also if you are going to sell a movie/game in America why would you want the "good guy" to be someone else, the audience needs to relate to the good guy. A lot of countries do this in their movies/games, Japan would be another example of this all where the good guy is Japanese.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Fightingfan

What people said because we are the super-power in the world. Also if you are going to sell a movie/game in America why would you want the "good guy" to be someone else, the audience needs to relate to the good guy. A lot of countries do this in their movies/games, Japan would be another example of this all where the good guy is Japanese.

machod_19
This is why I don't want movie. Every movie I watch is predictable. I want something thats mind boggling kinda like the whole "I am your father" in starwarz.
Tolinoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Tolinoli
Member since 2005 • 173 Posts

From my perspective it would mainly be because of the language. And secondly, the world is already so influenced with movies where we watch from the American's perspective which in a sense will make for better marketing if you just follow the stream. Thirdly.. since the US is developing so many weapons etc etc, it's like a paradise for the game developers to take idea's from.

Ryan_Kitchen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ryan_Kitchen
Member since 2010 • 370 Posts
Because the games are made in the USA? and because if they are made in the USA, I think it would be a bad move to make USA the "Bad Guys", I don't really expect the general population to accept said game very well.
Raid3nsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 Raid3nsnake
Member since 2008 • 243 Posts
[QUOTE="Raid3nsnake"]they are also war junkies and really do make the perfect bad guy if you think of it. make a game where the US invade another country claiming to find weapons cause said country is a threat when in reality they just want to slowly take over the country and turn it into a puppet state by instilling their own politics and terrorizing the people. The good guys would then be a rebel group trying to end the tyranny........supa_badman
It did happen. It's called Iraq. It also happened in Nicaragua. They're not puppet governments anymore, but the US have done it.

hmmm seems like you have never heard of sarcasm lol.
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 supa_badman
[QUOTE="Ryan_Kitchen"] Nailed it right on the head.
[QUOTE="supa_badman"][QUOTE="Raid3nsnake"]they are also war junkies and really do make the perfect bad guy if you think of it. make a game where the US invade another country claiming to find weapons cause said country is a threat when in reality they just want to slowly take over the country and turn it into a puppet state by instilling their own politics and terrorizing the people. The good guys would then be a rebel group trying to end the tyranny........Raid3nsnake

hmmm seems like you have never heard of sarcasm lol.

Maybe you got to learn some more about sarcasm before you make a post like that then. No one would've really thought you weren't being serious. :?
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
Americans are the bad guys in MW2... At least one is. :P
herby344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 herby344
Member since 2003 • 72 Posts

Because we are the good guys?

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]I want a game where the player takes the place of the Taliban and attacks the Twin Towers. I want to see if the U.S goverment would allow it if not there breaking the first amendment.

The government wouldn't have to say anything, the media would massacre the game out of existence, simple as that. TC, many of the big games are made by western developers who are influenced by mainstream Hollywood for years, so that's why. If Japanese developers choose to use American characters in their games, well what can you say, no ones forcing them to.
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MethodManFTW
yeah if a game about fallujah cant get made than that game will never be made.
Warship_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 Warship_19
Member since 2010 • 1565 Posts

[QUOTE="Raid3nsnake"]they are also war junkies and really do make the perfect bad guy if you think of it. make a game where the US invade another country claiming to find weapons cause said country is a threat when in reality they just want to slowly take over the country and turn it into a puppet state by instilling their own politics and terrorizing the people. The good guys would then be a rebel group trying to end the tyranny........supa_badman

This is why I plan on joing the Marine Core in a year.I love the Idea of blowing **** up in other countries, thats the republican parties main philosophy, Next we need to Invade Iran, I would love to be the one to personally kill President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

We are the bad guys and were good at being them.

Laser_Hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Laser_Hunter

[QUOTE="Laser_Hunter"][QUOTE="Fightingfan"]I want a game where the player takes the place of the Taliban and attacks the Twin Towers. I want to see if the U.S goverment would allow it if not there breaking the first amendment.Fightingfan

The Taliban is comparable to the Vietcong. They are villagers defending they're land from foreigners. (Albeit with a more religious drive) They do not have the resource to do that. I think you have Al-Qaeda and the Taliban mixed up.
Laser_Hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Laser_Hunter

[QUOTE="supa_badman"][QUOTE="Raid3nsnake"]they are also war junkies and really do make the perfect bad guy if you think of it. make a game where the US invade another country claiming to find weapons cause said country is a threat when in reality they just want to slowly take over the country and turn it into a puppet state by instilling their own politics and terrorizing the people. The good guys would then be a rebel group trying to end the tyranny........Warship_19

This is why I plan on joing the Marine Core in a year.I love the Idea of blowing **** up in other countries, thats the republican parties main philosophy, Next we need to Invade Iran, I would love to be the one to personally kill President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

:| You have got to be kidding me. The so called "****" is peoples homes and lively hoods.

Even if you dislike the Iranian President the fact that you want to murder him is crazy. He is a human being who has done nothing to you.

HaDoKeN_NaTe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 HaDoKeN_NaTe
Member since 2005 • 1284 Posts

Probably because alot of games come out of the US so of course the US would look good. Same goes for games made in japan, it's usually always the main focus and hero's.

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts
How did I know this thread was going to be anti-american before opening it :roll:
The Taliban is comparable to the Vietcong. They are villagers defending they're land from foreigners.Laser_Hunter
Lol, if by 'defending their land from foreigners' you mean murdering their own people's children to show their brutal mercilessness in order to strike fear into the hearts of their people to ensure they will transition into political power unchallenged. Which both the vietcong and the taliban did. The taliban has murdered farrrrrrrr more unarmed Afghanis than soldiers.
Because the games are made in the USA?Ryan_Kitchen
Ding ding ding. Someone answered the question. Most devs are based in America. Everyone wants to see themselves as the hero, and naturally cast people like themselves (i.e. their nationality, their gender, their skin colour) as the hero in their game. Why would an American want to make another American as the evil guy in the game? In games made by devs based in other countries, Americans are the bad guys. See Grand Theft Auto.
Warship_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Warship_19

[QUOTE="Warship_19"]

[QUOTE="supa_badman"] It did happen. It's called Iraq. It also happened in Nicaragua. They're not puppet governments anymore, but the US have done it.Laser_Hunter

:| You have got to be kidding me. The so called "****" is peoples homes and lively hoods.

Even if you dislike the Iranian President the fact that you want to murder him is crazy. He is a human being who has done nothing to you.

This 'president 'promises Death to Isreal and America, Its all over the former US embassy and is most likely making Nuclear weapons to do the job. We are infidels and they believe it is their destiny to rule the world and America is the biggest barrier to that.

Don't side with him unless you know what your talking about. Brush up on American Politics.

Go google US embassy in Iran and look at some of the images you get. Shocking stuff.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

Oh look... America Bashing. Neat. How Trendy.

What's the matter, Bobby Kotex not saying anything to harp on about Activision or CoD this week?

Laser_Hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Laser_Hunter

[QUOTE="Laser_Hunter"]

[QUOTE="Warship_19"] This is why I plan on joing the Marine Core in a year.I love the Idea of blowing **** up in other countries, thats the republican parties main philosophy, Next we need to Invade Iran, I would love to be the one to personally kill President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Warship_19

This 'president 'promises Death to Isreal and America, Its all over the former US embassy and is most likely making Nuclear weapons to do the job. We are infidels and they believe it is their destiny to rule the world and America is the biggest barrier to that.

Don't side with him unless you know what your talking about. Brush up on American Politics.

Go google US embassy in Iran and look at some of the images you get. Shocking stuff.

It doesn't justlfy the killing of civilians. Im AGAINST their president. I feel he rigged their last election. I just don't think it's right to ruin millions of lives over one man's obsession. @clickety: I'm trying to give you THEIR view on it. sorry for not making it clearer.
Warship_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Warship_19

I never said we were going to kill civilians. But it happens in every war in Mans history Civilians have died. Name one where they havint.

Laser_Hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Laser_Hunter

I never said we were going to kill civilians. But it happens in every war in Manshistory Civilians have died. Name one where they havint.

Warship_19
Well you know I never understood why a peaceful solution couldn't be found....
Ryan_Kitchen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ryan_Kitchen
Member since 2010 • 370 Posts
[QUOTE="clicketyclick"]
Because the games are made in the USA?Ryan_Kitchen
Ding ding ding. Someone answered the question. Most devs are based in America. Everyone wants to see themselves as the hero, and naturally cast people like themselves (i.e. their nationality, their gender, their skin colour) as the hero in their game. Why would an American want to make another American as the evil guy in the game? In games made by devs based in other countries, Americans are the bad guys. See Grand Theft Auto.

Yeah! Go Me! I got it right! haha, I am good at stating the obvious. I don't understand why someone had to ask this question, like almost all of the games are made by developers based in USA. (Most mainstream games, I don't count JRPG... ) and making the USA guy the bad guy is unappealing to the general audience. So they obviously wouldn't do that.
xxgunslingerxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 xxgunslingerxx
Member since 2005 • 4275 Posts

lol you just described the bush administration

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#36 Diddies
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

I never said we were going to kill civilians. But it happens in every war in Mans history Civilians have died. Name one where they havint.

Warship_19
So are you going to say a killing civilians is right just because it has happened in every war? That doesn't make sense. You are apparently a follower.
dkjestrup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dkjestrup
Member since 2007 • 1214 Posts
I want a WWII game in the perspective of an honourable German soldier that later becomes an officer, that's simply fighting for his country. If done right could show people what really happened.
dante5395

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 dante5395
Member since 2009 • 252 Posts

tso in otherwords they need to try to be like the north koreans

dante5395

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 dante5395
Member since 2009 • 252 Posts

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]

[QUOTE="Laser_Hunter"] I hope you realize the Taliban didn't attack the Twin Tower. :|Laser_Hunter

The Taliban is comparable to the Vietcong. They are villagers defending they're land from foreigners. (Albeit with a more religious drive) They do not have the resource to do that. I think you have Al-Qaeda and the Taliban mixed up.

i can't remember what terrorist group it was but there was one that was more powerful than al-qaeda anybody know?

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MethodManFTW

[QUOTE="Laser_Hunter"][QUOTE="Fightingfan"]

dante5395

i can't remember what terrorist group it was but there was one that was more powerful than al-qaeda anybody know?

the cia
KamuiFei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#41 KamuiFei
Member since 2003 • 4334 Posts

[QUOTE="Warship_19"]

Diddies

So are you going to say a killing civilians is right just because it has happened in every war? That doesn't make sense. You are apparently a follower.

Nah dude, he's saying in war, no matter how careful people can be, civilians always end up getting killed. I don't think he thinks its right, but he's stating that its inevitable that it happens.

Anyways, Americans have to be viewed as the good guys. Don't expect a US game developer to make a war game with an Iraqi soldier aligned with Hussein, whose goal is to kill every American soldier all over the Middle East. I can only imagine the media backlash that company would get. If not an American good guy, than who else? Also remember America is a melting pot of different cultures, an African-American hero is still an American hero, and so on. :)

NoobisMaxcimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 NoobisMaxcimus
Member since 2007 • 2893 Posts

...And how this thread has degenerated.

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts
Well you have to fuel the ego of (one of) your largest, potential consumer base while, at the same time, satisfying your own. All in all, make your own game and take that step to rewriting/changing the cliche. I know I would...that is, if I were to find myself in that position.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Fightingfan
[QUOTE="dante5395"]

[QUOTE="Laser_Hunter"] The Taliban is comparable to the Vietcong. They are villagers defending they're land from foreigners. (Albeit with a more religious drive) They do not have the resource to do that. I think you have Al-Qaeda and the Taliban mixed up.MethodManFTW

the cia

Thumbs up to use.
IAMTHEVIPQUEEN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 IAMTHEVIPQUEEN
Member since 2009 • 723 Posts

Take the movie Avatar as one of many examples....

pc-ps360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46 pc-ps360
Member since 2010 • 3462 Posts

long long ago i read in kotaku or somewhere else about an iranian game where u r a persian soldier defending people from isreali bombers. it got banned. also there was a chinese or japanese war game that in the early days of the ps2 where they show that the enemies are the american and u fight them too defend ur freedom, that game got banned too. can remember the names of those games never played them and dont think they where any good since they where VERY low budget.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Because the guy with the biggest stick gets to write the endings to the stories.

POPEYE1716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 POPEYE1716
Member since 2003 • 4749 Posts

[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"][QUOTE="dante5395"]

Fightingfan

the cia

Thumbs up to use.

we have a winner

aijou_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 aijou_
Member since 2006 • 334 Posts

machod_19

I think you're wrong there. Metal Gear Solid is a japanese game but the hero of the game is still american. If you ask me the nationality of the hero of a game should'nt matter no matter what country you're from. If americans can't relate to a hero with another nationality, they should really open their eyes to reality. No nation is perfect, certainly not the US. It's ok to aknowlege that without being a traitor to your country.

We are all human, right?