Why did Sony make the 12GB PS3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by RageQuitter69 (1366 posts) -

With all the updates and installs, the original PS3 models (40GB, 60GB etc) did not have enough space, so Sony made the slim and super slim models with more HDD space, and then they released the 12GB system, which has so little space, that games like GTA V can't be installed with all the updates.
So why did Sony make the 12GB PS3? it sucks nowadays that the only PS3's in production are 12GB and 500GB systems, there is no middle ground for a cheaper price.

#2 Edited by thirdson1812 (100 posts) -

I think they made it to compete with the 4GB xbox 360. They also made it for people who want to upgrade their hard drive or for people who can't afford the 500GB model.

#3 Posted by Murderstyle75 (4412 posts) -

Realistically there is no reason for sku with a bigger drive since you can just upgrade for cheaper then a 500GB sku costs.

#4 Posted by marcheegsr (3017 posts) -

I have a few friends that own a ps3 that only play fifa on it. That system is perfect for them.

I think its aimed for the casual gamer that doesn't buy a lot of games.

#5 Posted by Lhomity (465 posts) -

12gb PS3's are cheap and you can change the hard drive however you please anyway. If you already have a spare hard drive laying around, the 12gb is easily the best value option available.

#6 Posted by Shmiity (5362 posts) -

They are pretty close to useless.

#7 Posted by RimacBugatti (1632 posts) -

@Shmiity: It contradicts the fact that they are trying to get everybody to go digital. like they say history repeats itself.