When does the 'Greatest Game of All Time' kick in?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

I downloaded Final Fantasy VII from PSN a while ago. After years of hearing, "Best game ever made" and "100% PERFECT", I was pretty excited. I got to about 30 hours, and nothing. Nothing really amazing about the game. When does the amazing story and 'perfectness' kick in?

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
It seems you ended up with wildly unrealistic expectations for the game.
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Phoenix534

It seems you ended up with wildly unrealistic expectations for the game.xaos

i never expected it to be as great as many say, but it's definetly not as good as a lot of people say. But it's simply not that amazing. I'd give it about an 8.2

xXDante666Xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 xXDante666Xx
Member since 2004 • 3102 Posts

It isn't so much that the game is so perfect as much as it is what was done when it was done. It is like Elvis, he didn't do anything nobody had done before, yet he is the "King" of Rock. Personally you won't think it is the greatest because you aren't looking at it from outside the box of today. You are comparing it to newer games and that is ruining it. That is why I say old things get worse with time. :/

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Phoenix534

It isn't so much that the game is so perfect as much as it is what was done when it was done. It is like Elvis, he didn't do anything nobody had done before, yet he is the "King" of Rock. Personally you won't think it is the greatest because you aren't looking at it from outside the box of today. You are comparing it to newer games and that is ruining it. That is why I say old things get worse with time. :/

xXDante666Xx

I'm not comparing it to games of today. Games of today are lower quality than most from the 90s.

megatonB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 megatonB
Member since 2007 • 79 Posts

Dude, Final Fantasy VII is the favorite game of a lot of RPG fans like me, maybe there are better games from other genres but this is my favorite game. My score: 9.5 :D ^_^. But its really up to you if you like it or not ;).

jjtiebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 jjtiebuckle
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts
Basing your expectations off another persons hype is a no no, which you can attest for. Readjust your thinking and maybe you'll see something you missed the first time.
teldath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 teldath
Member since 2007 • 504 Posts

the character development only really kicks in about midway through disc 2

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

I've never bought in to the hype of this game. I've tried to push through it several time, only to be bored to tears. I understand it was groundbreaking in it's time, but so many years later, it doesn't hold up as well as FF8 and FF9 do, at least for me.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Phoenix534

Basing your expectations off another persons hype is a no no, which you can attest for. Readjust your thinking and maybe you'll see something you missed the first time.jjtiebuckle

For the last time, I'm not basing my expectations off of hupe. I was basing it off of how much I loved the Dragon Quest and Star Ocean series(enix games I might point out). But, for a game that is considered so great, it seems really shallow. I'll play it, because I like the gameplay, but i am dissapointed. I guess I should have considered this in the first place. I was never really that intersted in anything Squaresoft made.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Phoenix534

the character development only really kicks in about midway through disc 2

teldath

Oh. Ok. Then I guess I'm even more P.O.'d that my data got screwed up and I'm back at the Sector 5 Reactor(last save I had backed-up on Media GO!. Will probably start over)

Droopy14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Droopy14
Member since 2005 • 3772 Posts

I downloaded Final Fantasy VII from PSN a while ago. After years of hearing, "Best game ever made" and "100% PERFECT", I was pretty excited. I got to about 30 hours, and nothing. Nothing really amazing about the game. When does the amazing story and 'perfectness' kick in?

Phoenix534

i feel the same way i played every ff game to date and ff7, ff1 and 12 are my least favorite ff games. now ff10 is the best one so far, hopefully ff14 is good i may give ff13 a try but i'm for sure going to get into ff14 when its released i just love mmo's.

Vinolence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#14 Vinolence
Member since 2009 • 128 Posts
It was one of the best games ever made... back in 1997. Unfortunately, it hasn't aged well and it's past its prime.
Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Phoenix534

It was one of the best games ever made... back in 1997. Unfortunately, it hasn't aged well and it's past its prime.Vinolence

Oh well. I can still enjoy it. Just not as much as I am Star Ocean 1

Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mau-Justice
Member since 2008 • 4907 Posts
I can't take it seriously if you're slapping the game with an "8.2 rating" before you even finish it. You might as well judge a book by it's cover. Lower your expectations of "Greatest game ever" - finish the game, then make a fair assumption. It's like saying the whole game sucks because you played the demo...Doesn't seem like you want to like the game anyway. I was the same way with MGS4...found every little thing I could nitpick about it. Try not to let the boasting about a game ruin your experience with it. With the amount of hype FF7 has gotten over the years, no game could ever live up to that.
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#17 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts

Large part of the impact is lost now due to time.

When the game first came out, seeing the game go from CG to gameplay, to different type of gameplay (such as bike riding) was jaw dropping awesome.

Now, it's meh.

Story is great, but unfortunately the story presentation is mostly text based, which takes away a lot compared to many recent games. Not only that, it was one of the first games to have rough language, which seems nothing special now. Also story isn't very simple. You need to study it a bit to really appreciate it. Try to capture the philosophy behind it and the metaphors.

Most of all, story lost much of the impact since the secret has been out (especially considering TC has Zack icons). Basically the story has been spoiled for most people during past 12 years.

At least materia system lasted well throughout the years. It is still the best system I've seen in FF games, other than job system.

Scarfather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Scarfather
Member since 2005 • 104 Posts

You would expect from someone that has "Zack Fair" as his avatar and signature, that he would've played

FFVII centuries ago :?.

Finish the game first, then come talking. If you like it...good for you.

if you don't like it...too bad.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Phoenix534

You would expect from someone that has "Zack Fair" as his avatar and signature, that he would've played

Scarfather

I use Zack because of how much I loved Crisis Core.

4dry4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 4dry4n
Member since 2007 • 1411 Posts

[QUOTE="Scarfather"]

Phoenix534

I use Zack because of how much I loved Crisis Core.

LMFAO CC is garbage compared to the original FF7. Almost everything you see & play in RPG games today is related to what FF7 has done in the 90's. It was so revolutionary that it put Sony right on top of the video game industry. It was the 1st RPG that I have played & until now there is still no RPG that will beat it in my book. It's like falling in love for the 1st time.

magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 magitekk
Member since 2009 • 3959 Posts

Although I haven't played FFVII, I really don't have much expectations for it either. Whenever large groups of people come around giving what they believe to be a great game something like a 9.5, I really put that into consideration when deciding whether or not to buy it. But lately, I've found that what most people want and like differ so much from what I want in rpgs (I found that out after playing Crisis Core)

So in my book, FFVI probably comes the closest to my 'perfect' game. I think gameinformer did an article on this and took many aspects of multiple rpgs and placed them together to create what they believed to be a perfect game. If I'm correct, nothing was mentioned of FFVII in the article...but that's just what I remember.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Phoenix534

Although I haven't played FFVII, I really don't have much expectations for it either. Whenever large groups of people come around giving what they believe to be a great game something like a 9.5, I really put that into consideration when deciding whether or not to buy it. But lately, I've found that what most people want and like differ so much from what I want in rpgs (I found that out after playing Crisis Core)

So in my book, FFVI probably comes the closest to my 'perfect' game. I think gameinformer did an article on this and took many aspects of multiple rpgs and placed them together to create what they believed to be a perfect game. If I'm correct, nothing was mentioned of FFVII in the article...but that's just what I remember.

magitekk

They mentioned FFVI and X, not VII. FFVI was for Final Boss and X was for story. Although they did show Cloud's torso in the picture.

magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 magitekk

[QUOTE="magitekk"]

Phoenix534

They mentioned FFVI and X, not VII. FFVI was for Final Boss and X was for story. Although they did show Cloud's torso in the picture.

Upon seeing that in the article, I thought they would include something from FFVII in it, but strangely, they didn't.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Phoenix534

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

[QUOTE="magitekk"]

magitekk

Upon seeing that in the article, I thought they would include something from FFVII in it, but strangely, they didn't.

Yeah, I was expecting them to have it in there somewhere. But, alas, nothing. Oh well. At least they included Kaim from Lost Odyssey in there for Hero:D

Eazy1891

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 Eazy1891
Member since 2009 • 3089 Posts

Phoenix534

it was for the time it came out made it perfect....just like for how when GTA4 came out everyone was riding that and now everyones like it sucked...its not that the game is any worse just everyone has played better made games now and its not getting the respect it deserves

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Phoenix534

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

Eazy1891

it was for the time it came out made it perfect....just like for how when GTA4 came out everyone was riding that and now everyones like it sucked...its not that the game is any worse just everyone has played better made games now and its not getting the respect it deserves

I guess that's true.

SillySkeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SillySkeleton
Member since 2008 • 933 Posts

I think the quality of RPG's nowadays (in terms of graphics, details, unique battle systems) have dilluted the greatness of FFVII. I still think it's the best RPG I've ever played, but I first experienced it when it was just released.
If you're just trying it out for the first time now, you'll see a dated battle system, pretty ugly looking sprites, no HD visuals, and lower quality sound. (no voices, unremarkable SFX, and great music created with old technology)

At any rate, I would have thought you would enjoy FFVII more than Crisis Core at least.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Phoenix534

I think the quality of RPG's nowadays (in terms of graphics, details, unique battle systems) have dilluted the greatness of FFVII. I still think it's the best RPG I've ever played, but I first experienced it when it was just released.
If you're just trying it out for the first time now, you'll see a dated battle system, pretty ugly looking sprites, no HD visuals, and lower quality sound. (no voices, unremarkable SFX, and great music created with old technology)

At any rate, I would have thought you would enjoy FFVII more than Crisis Core at least.

SillySkeleton

I actually don't mind bad graphics, and the battle system, while dated, is still one of the best in the genre. My main gripe is the story, which I guess I haven't gotten far enough in to find it.

magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 magitekk

SillySkeleton

Which reminds me...I wonder if FFVII would have the fame that it does today if it wasn't made in 3D. Frankly, I would've preferred 2D sprites for how bad the 3D graphics were for the game.

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TriangleHard

[QUOTE="SillySkeleton"]

Phoenix534

I actually don't mind bad graphics, and the battle system, while dated, is still one of the best in the genre. My main gripe is the story, which I guess I haven't gotten far enough in to find it.

Well you already played Crisis Core.

If that's stuck on your head, then already the story is ruined. Large part of the first few hours for FFVII was more about learning about the world and learning about characters, and start building up a lot of mysteries which is effectively ruined by crisis core.

Not to mention CC did great job bastardizing FFVII. The way Sephiroth gets butchered in that game was just sickening. Since your eyes and mind is already tainted by CC, you cannot see FFVII story the way it was supposed to be told.

Don't bother playing FFVII. Playing Crisis Core first and then trying to play FFVII is just not going to work.

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TriangleHard

[QUOTE="SillySkeleton"]

magitekk

Which reminds me...I wonder if FFVII would have the fame that it does today if it wasn't made in 3D. Frankly, I would've preferred 2D sprites for how bad the 3D graphics were for the game.

Oh get over yourself.

FFVII looked great at the time and 3D model did great job capturing expressions.

Also before FFVII, FF series had exactly 1 game that looked decent, which was FFVI. All the other ones looked like piece of ****.

Graphics and presentation alone didn't sell FFVII. Resident Evil came out year earlier than FFVII and it had better graphics. But FFVII still managed to sell great numbers reaching almost 10 mil. You don't get that kind of success without being a great game (A success no other FF game managed to match). To say it sold because of the 3D graphic is idiotic. Granted FFVII did get some benefit from eye popping presentation and Sony's huge budget advertisement, but overall the game was smashing success thanks to it's overall quality.

And it's not difficult to see how people enjoyed FFVII. Just look at FFVIII sales which sold around 8.5 mil. Before FFVII, there was no FF fans. FF had sold at most about 3.8 mil or something, with most of the sales coming from Japan. To most people, FFVII ended up being their first FF, but fans came back for more with FFVIII (after FFVIII, fans left, which is no surprise since FFVIII was the worst FF ever made) If people didn't love FFVII, would they have tried coming back for more? I don't think so.

Oakfront

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 Oakfront
Member since 2007 • 2788 Posts

Nice avatar and sig..

bluem00se

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 bluem00se
Member since 2005 • 2185 Posts
Obviously people who first experienced the game when it came out were more blown away by the game than people who play it for the first time are. It's a great game but if you play it for the first time now your expectations might be a bit too high. Nostalgia adds to a lot of the hype for this game. To me, it is one of the best games I've ever played. I just beat the game again the other day after downloading the PSN version and I still love it now as much as I did when I first played it (years ago). ...One thing though. TC, you appear to be a big Crisis Core fan yet you haven't played FF7 until recently? You should have played FF7 first, maybe that's part of it. You already know about Zack and his role and all that stuff.
FallofAthens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FallofAthens
Member since 2008 • 2026 Posts

Oh get over yourself.

FFVII looked great at the time and 3D model did great job capturing expressions.

Also before FFVII, FF series had exactly 1 game that looked decent, which was FFVI. All the other ones looked like piece of ****.

Graphics and presentation alone didn't sell FFVII. Resident Evil came out year earlier than FFVII and it had better graphics. But FFVII still managed to sell great numbers reaching almost 10 mil. You don't get that kind of success without being a great game (A success no other FF game managed to match). To say it sold because of the 3D graphic is idiotic. Granted FFVII did get some benefit from eye popping presentation and Sony's huge budget advertisement, but overall the game was smashing success thanks to it's overall quality.

And it's not difficult to see how people enjoyed FFVII. Just look at FFVIII sales which sold around 8.5 mil. Before FFVII, there was no FF fans. FF had sold at most about 3.8 mil or something, with most of the sales coming from Japan. To most people, FFVII ended up being their first FF, but fans came back for more with FFVIII (after FFVIII, fans left, which is no surprise since FFVIII was the worst FF ever made) If people didn't love FFVII, would they have tried coming back for more? I don't think so.

TriangleHard

I guess we didn't play the same game. I thought Final Fantasy VIII was better than VII. To each their own I suppose.

Like another person said, topic creator, The game just won't have that same kick like it did for others because you pretty much know half of the twists in the story thanks to Crisis Core taking away that, "What?!" factor. I really do think if you played FFVII first and then Crisis Core you would probably enjoy it more.