When do you think they'll put out a new type of PS5?

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8773 Posts

I'm asking because I'm wondering if I should wait until STALKER 2 comes out (3 months after XBOX). Or if I should just go ahead and buy a PS5 now and enjoy whatever they have out until STALKER 2. It would suck to buy one now only for a new one to come out, sort of like how the Steam Deck got a OLED soon after.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1059 Posts

PS5 Pro is rumored to be out in Q4 2025 around when Wolverine is rumored to come out. If you're waiting it looks like you'll be waiting for 2 years.

If you get a PS5 now you could always sell it to upgrade, but I think the base model is good. The base PS4 did well right up to the end. There was only a handful of games where the performance was not where it should be IMO, and that included Cyberpunk which needed more time in the oven anyway.

DanishAnwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By DanishAnwar
Member since 2023 • 348 Posts

I am a long time PS fan who own a PS5. And my sincere advise to you is there is No need to buy a PS5 right now.

The current (and also upcoming) PS exclusive games list is rather dry. Instead, save for a gaming PC (12GB+ VRAM) as GamePass with upcoming gems like Indiana Jones, Hellblade 2, Avowed, Ark2, Everwild, and more this year makes GP a better value proposition than PS.

The GP games beyond 2024 like OD are also much better than what Sony has in store for PS fans. Wolverine looked like garbage, imo.

I am also thinking of switching to PC gaming myself and saving to buy a 4080 rig in the near future, as without exclusives there is no point in owning a PS5.

I am rather angry at Sony's attitude as it seems to be sleeping or resting on its laurels at the moment. No MGS, LOU, Uncharted, Ghost of Tshshima, Souls, like games this gen that made Sony brand what it is today. And we are past the mid-point of a console cycle.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DEVILinIRON

@girlusocrazy said:

PS5 Pro is rumored to be out in Q4 2025 around when Wolverine is rumored to come out. If you're waiting it looks like you'll be waiting for 2 years.

If you get a PS5 now you could always sell it to upgrade, but I think the base model is good. The base PS4 did well right up to the end. There was only a handful of games where the performance was not where it should be IMO, and that included Cyberpunk which needed more time in the oven anyway.

That's a long wait. Thanks for the info!

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DEVILinIRON

@danishanwar said:

I am a long time PS fan who own a PS5. And my sincere advise to you is there is No need to buy a PS5 right now.

I am also thinking of switching to PC gaming myself buying 4080 rig in the near future, as without exclusives there is no point in owning a PS5.

Yeah, I have a PC that can run BG3 but not the new version of Cyberpunk 2077. Would be nice to stick with PC gaming and have a better PC to run STALKER 2. Just worried about spending so much to run it with the cheaper PS5 as an alternative. Plus I've been a long time Playstation fan.

DanishAnwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#6 DanishAnwar
Member since 2023 • 348 Posts

@DEVILinIRON said:
@danishanwar said:

I am also thinking of switching to PC gaming myself buying 4080 rig in the near future, as without exclusives there is no point in owning a PS5.

Yeah, I have a PC that can run BG3 but not the new version of Cyberpunk 2077. Would be nice to stick with PC gaming and have a better PC to run STALKER 2. Just worried about spending so much to run it with the cheaper PS5 as an alternative. Plus I've been a long time Playstation fan.

I understand your view. But what's the point of a PS when the exclusive list this gen seems to be deserted in comparision to the alternatives. Even a 3060 rig that cost about $899 is better than a PS5.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy

@DEVILinIRON: Sometimes you can get a prebuilt for not too much money, I just searched quick and picked one of the first things I saw just to get an idea:

16GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 4060 RTX, Core i5 13400F - $850

I guess it's $350 more than a PS5 ($450 more than a Digital-only PS5). Yeah I guess it's almost 2x the price of a PS5 depending on how you look at it. Maybe someone can come up with a better deal than that for a PC. It depends what's worth it to you I guess, but you say you have an existing catalog of PC games.

Personally I just prefer the straightforward operation of a console and you pretty much know what you're going to get out of the games and you're all set for the generation until the next one.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DEVILinIRON

@girlusocrazy: Thanks again for the in depth answer!

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy

@DEVILinIRON: You're welcome!