Whats up with Best Buy!!??

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jjjDogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jjjDogg
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Today I went in to Best Buy to buy a PS3 and the sales guy starts off by saying "please buy one. We have tons just sitting in the back on pallets". He proceeds to bad mouth the PS3 stating things that I have never heard. I follow gaming news daily so tell me if this sounds like BS to you guys. The sales man went on stating that Sony has had serious issues with the emotion engine chip not being able to read certain games because the PS3 hardware processes information way too fast and that they've been having overheating issues gallor causing angry owners to file lawsuits left and right. He stated that the price drop was done to avoid a recall regarding the overheating and backwards compatibility issues.

I then asked him if he owned one and he said " yeah. It's collecting dust. I'm really disappointed with it." Anyway, I started to get annoyed and just said forget it but I will get one soon. I just dont understand why the sales rep bash the hell out of the PS3. Plus all of the things he was saying regarding the overheating and such sounded like BS to me. I havent heard anything about PS3's overheating on such a large scale.

Have any of you guys come across sales reps trying to persuade you into not buying a PS3?

Taijiquan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Taijiquan
Member since 2002 • 7431 Posts
1 word: Fanboy.
Shaqneel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Shaqneel
Member since 2006 • 1413 Posts
Oh yeah, a lot of people had these kinds of experiences at Ebgames/gamestop as did i. They say loads of BS and sad part is that there really isn't anything that can be done about it, I mean there would be little point in complaining. Well I'm glad to see that they din dissuade you from buying a ps3.
jjjDogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jjjDogg
Im going to get one tomorrow. I just dont want to see this guy again.
The_Gamer81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 The_Gamer81
Member since 2007 • 357 Posts

Listen man, you should contact the Manager of that best buy you went to and tell him what the sales man told you. This sales guy will definitely get fired. This guy must have thought he's talking about the xbox360 or something? No there are no overheating problems with the PS3. I have one, and it runs so smooth, I can barely hear it. This sales man is a definite fan boy of M$ without a doubt. Go buy it and don't worry. Go ahead and search the Internet too, you probably won't find a thing on PS3 overheating. That's just a lie.

davez82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 davez82
Member since 2003 • 1864 Posts
he took everything wrong with his 360 and transferred it to the ps3
CosmoKing7717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 CosmoKing7717
Member since 2004 • 4602 Posts
that's sad... i hardly ever hear my ps3 at all when it's right next to me sometimes running. How anyone could ever say those things about a ps3 after playing it is unknown. M$ paying salespeople too now?
jjjDogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jjjDogg

"he took everything wrong with his 360 and transferred it to the ps3 "

Thats what I was thinking and itching to say it. I've heard of others having the same experience at Best Buys and Gaming outlets. I know this sounds crazy, but it seems as if they are paid to bash Sony to cripple the amount of sales.

theburg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 theburg
Member since 2005 • 976 Posts

Listen man, you should contact the Manager of that best buy you went to and tell him what the sales man told you. This sales guy will definitely get fired. This guy must have thought he's talking about the xbox360 or something? No there are no overheating problems with the PS3. I have one, and it runs so smooth, I can barely hear it. This sales man is a definite fan boy of M$ without a doubt. Go buy it and don't worry. Go ahead and search the Internet too, you probably won't find a thing on PS3 overheating. That's just a lie.

The_Gamer81

Yes, please do this OP. And mention that you were prepared to spend X dollars on the PS3, games and accessories but the conduct of the salesman caused you to take your business elsewhere. Managers know customer service, salesmen dont. That guy will get schooled.

himankz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 himankz
Member since 2007 • 99 Posts
Exactly a fan-boy. I bet he owns a xbox 360 or a Wii. Or hes just plain jealous he cant afford one.
bdhoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bdhoff
Member since 2003 • 4104 Posts

The way I see it you already know what you want, so don't let this guy get to you. They may, in fact, have a couple of pallets of the things. But so what? They'll sell.

I don't like to buy any electronics at Best Buy. I always seem to get unsolicited advice.

Avatar image for delete-mikey050591
delete-mikey050591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 delete-mikey050591
Member since 2005 • 1135 Posts

Today I went in to Best Buy to buy a PS3 and the sales guy starts off by saying "please buy one. We have tons just sitting in the back on pallets". He proceeds to bad mouth the PS3 stating things that I have never heard. I follow gaming news daily so tell me if this sounds like BS to you guys. The sales man went on stating that Sony has had serious issues with the emotion engine chip not being able to read certain games because the PS3 hardware processes information way too fast and that they've been having overheating issues gallor causing angry owners to file lawsuits left and right. He stated that the price drop was done to avoid a recall regarding the overheating and backwards compatibility issues.

I then asked him if he owned one and he said " yeah. It's collecting dust. I'm really disappointed with it." Anyway, I started to get annoyed and just said forget it but I will get one soon. I just dont understand why the sales rep bash the hell out of the PS3. Plus all of the things he was saying regarding the overheating and such sounded like BS to me. I havent heard anything about PS3's overheating on such a large scale.

Have any of you guys come across sales reps trying to persuade you into not buying a PS3?

jjjDogg

either stupid, or holding the last one for himself/ a friend and doesnt want you buying it.

Benny_Blakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Benny_Blakk
Member since 2007 • 910 Posts
I think this is a classic case of hoping the giant falls. Sony has had a firm grip on the gaming industry for a little over 10 years now. Nintendo and MS have had a year's head start over Sony, so their backs are against the wall out the gate cuz they're playing catch up. I think the haters are just hoping they fail. Not only that, close minded developers are putting out "facts" about Sony being foolish creating a console with the Cell processor at its core. People are eating this up and brainwashing themselves with this folly. Moreover, don't forget that we're in the U.S. 360 is for North American gamers, which explains why all the FPS titles on the 360. A final point, I notice a lot of these sales people at game shops and electronic stores swear they're "game guru's". I say buy what you're interested in and let the pieces fall in place!
TOSgamer10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 TOSgamer10
Member since 2006 • 385 Posts
Yes dude was feeding you a bunch of crap. He must of lied to you a minimum of 8 times in that short convo you had with him. Go report him and enjoy your ps3.
kevy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 kevy619
Member since 2004 • 5617 Posts
The problem is, he is a Best Buy employee. Ive had employees say bad things about different products, I usually just ignore them.
jjjDogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jjjDogg
I was tempted to smack him with a 360.
TimothyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TimothyB
Member since 2003 • 6564 Posts
Now, what did he happen to say about the 360? Did he try to stear you to that? I mean it would have been a good test because we all know the 360 has serious hardware problems and costing MS a billion (I had 3 bad ones myself), so if he suddenly recommended 360 with no regard to true hardware issue with it then you know he's blowing smoke even though it was obvious with the PS3. But if he had then gone on and complained about the 360 too, then either he would have been a Wii fanboy, or just totally missinformed or something.
Avatar image for 5FingersOfDeath
5FingersOfDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 5FingersOfDeath
Member since 2007 • 1114 Posts

People are filing lawsuits? shouldn't that be made public if they were?

You should go back to him, try to buy a X360to see how he reacts. Let's see if X360 has a clean record according to him.

kevy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kevy619

I was tempted to smack him with a 360.jjjDogg

LOL, I do like my 360 too though. Mine is one of the 67% that doesnt break! But MGS4 and Team ICO have forced me to look into buying a ps3. It will be the first sony console I pay more than $60 for. I dont think theres ever been a release schedule for games like there is in the next two years. Lair, Heavenly Sword, Mass Effect, Halo 3, Bioshock, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, MGS4, Devil May Cry 4, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, White Knight Story, GTA IV, COD4 and Unreal Tournament 3. Its utter insanity to think that im going to be playing all those games.

giton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 giton
Member since 2007 • 1745 Posts
I was at Best Buy tonight in fact I just got home from there, and the salesperson that was helping me told me he had a ps3 and loved the way it played on his samsung hdtv. We chatted about the ps3 for a while and I told him I just got mine and he told me about the free five blu-ray disc offer, which I already knew about.
jjjDogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jjjDogg

He said he owns a 360 and a Wii as well as his "dusty" PS3. He seemed to be more enthused about the Wii than anything else.

I already own a 360 and I'm having fun with it. I'm on my 3rd one (the disc tray is starting to stick though) but, it would be interesting to see his response if I were to want to purchase an Elite.

kevy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kevy619

He said he owns a 360 and a Wii as well as his "dusty" PS3. He seemed to be more enthused about the Wii than anything else.

I already own a 360 and I'm having fun with it. I'm on my 3rd one (the disc tray is starting to stick)but it would be interesting to see his response if I were to want to purchase an Elite.

jjjDogg

Wii lovers are the worst, I remember going in to EB games and the rep was telling me that prince of persia classic was coming to wii. Then he went on about how all these Wii games which I know suck are awesome, (Red Steel etc...). To top it off, he told me that Ninja Gaiden Black(xbox) was an entirely different game than Ninja Gaiden(xbox).

Avatar image for Lilith_n_Belial
Lilith_n_Belial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lilith_n_Belial
Member since 2006 • 301 Posts
yea well...ever since the evil spirits that possesed employes at GS/EB has been thwarted away due to Sony's E3 press conf, the spirits have taken refuge inside the bodies of some Best Buy workers...wonder who are the next victims of this evil ju ju...?XP
kevy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kevy619
Truth be told, the console that gathers the most dust has to be the wii. I know so many people who have one and never use it.
devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 devilzrule27
Member since 2005 • 270 Posts
I work in the media department at a best buy and its unfortunate to say that their are people in my department that are like this. I usually step in and take the customer from them in this situation when they are obviously getting frustrated. Its important to let the consumer know what their getting, loads of untapped potential and a ton of games that are potentially great with the PS3 A deep great library of games and unrivaled online multiplayer on the 360 and family fun and a more approachable system in the Wii, not to bash system with falsities and biasness. These types of folks do nothing to help the consumer. And for the record we've got 40+ 360s sitting in my back warehouse waiting to be sold and only have some 15 PS3s left.
devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 devilzrule27
Member since 2005 • 270 Posts
Oh and I do own all three new systems and I do have a favourite but I wouldn't bash another just because a consumer wanted one I wasn't fond of. Personally I play my PS3 the most since I was a huge fan of the PS2 aqnd own so many ps2 game I've been going back and playing them while I wait for the good new games. If someone asks for my opinion I tell them what I think but never do I bash a system. Every console has is good points and its bad ones.
Harrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Harrick
Member since 2006 • 702 Posts

I worked at an EB over the last holiday season and there was definitely a lot of hate for the PS3 in there. I'll admit I am not overly fond of the system myself but I didn't actively try and dissuade people from buying it (we didn't have any to sell them anyway at that time :P ). If I was ASKED about the systems I recommended the 360 over the PS3 since I feel it is the better value of the two.

That being said there are a nice list of reasons to buy a PS3. If a store employee feels there is a legitimate problem with a product they should at least try and get their facts straight. A lot of his complaints are off the wall.

w7w7w7w7w7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 w7w7w7w7w7
Member since 2006 • 4891 Posts
He was probley just trying to be a jerk. I love having all three :-) .
xtiansk8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 xtiansk8
Member since 2006 • 340 Posts
he took everything wrong with his 360 and transferred it to the ps3davez82
hahaha.... your right..xD
xtiansk8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 xtiansk8
Member since 2006 • 340 Posts
he took everything wrong with his 360 and transferred it to the ps3davez82
hahaha.... your right..xD
Kinitari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Kinitari
Member since 2005 • 3472 Posts

"he took everything wrong with his 360 and transferred it to the ps3 "

Thats what I was thinking and itching to say it. I've heard of others having the same experience at Best Buys and Gaming outlets. I know this sounds crazy, but it seems as if they are paid to bash Sony to cripple the amount of sales.

jjjDogg

Nah, I work at a best buy and thats not the case, we are only paid by sony and microsoft to put up ad's and displays. I've seen his ilk before - just a poor employment choice. Unfortunately working in a gaming store/department doesn't take the fanboy out of you.
Kinitari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Kinitari
[QUOTE="The_Gamer81"]

theburg

Yes, please do this OP. And mention that you were prepared to spend X dollars on the PS3, games and accessories but the conduct of the salesman caused you to take your business elsewhere. Managers know customer service, salesmen dont. That guy will get schooled.

Lolz Tell him you were thinking about getting the 3 year PSP on it and the dude will be in sooo much doodoo.
Jehuty08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jehuty08
Member since 2007 • 1950 Posts
I don't quite have enough to afford my own ps3 yet but I have been bumming off my brothers for about 3 months now (he cant get me to leave!) and I have never ran into any of those problems and neither has my brother.
Kinitari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Kinitari
I was at Best Buy tonight in fact I just got home from there, and the salesperson that was helping me told me he had a ps3 and loved the way it played on his samsung hdtv. We chatted about the ps3 for a while and I told him I just got mine and he told me about the free five blu-ray disc offer, which I already knew about. giton

That sounds like me - except I have a sharp.
OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts
wow...what a jerk
OtterX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 OtterX
Member since 2005 • 576 Posts

jjjDogg
It just sounds like this guy hates his job. He's a ball of raging frustrated energy and is ready to spew his rage into the closest ear that will listen. Look, I'm an ASM at Gamestop, I let the customers know the pluses and minuses of every system. I don't show favoritism to any of them because I own an Xbox 360, PS3, and Nintendo Wii. All the PS3 haters will be singing a different tune once Heavenly Sword is released, and eventually Metal Gear Solid 4. I understand frustrated/disgruntled employees... I have an associate under me who bad mouths a different system every week. First, he owned a Wii, so he bashed the 360 and PS3 constantly. Then, he traded in his Wii, bought a 360, now praises it and bashes the Wii. He's only 17, I think it's just a sign of immaturity, and pent up frustration against the fact that he can't get laid.
urio1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 urio1
Member since 2007 • 1576 Posts
wow I had the same problem with an EBGames near my house... i was so pissed... but then!!! there was a ray of hope... cuz i went to a Gamestop and the sales person actually talked my mother into buying a PS3... YESSSSS .... long story short imma get one pretty soon lol
Sora311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Sora311
Member since 2006 • 661 Posts
Untile the day the sales associates at stores know as much as many of us.... it will be a lost cause talking to them until then since they don't have the information in order to give a proper answer. He is probably simply going by word of mouth of customers and make himself look almighty saving you from a purchase of a amazing system. Haha one day it will change...maybe.
CosmoKing7717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 CosmoKing7717
Member since 2004 • 4602 Posts
man...i can't wait to work at bestbuy and change all of this...must apply on my b-day.
huckps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 huckps
Member since 2007 • 33 Posts
its not best buy at all. i work at best buy and the guys in my store happen to like the ps3 that guy seemed to have a real hate for theps3 lol. but as far as best buyit self goes they can care less what you want to buy but from person to person they will like diff things.
Kinitari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Kinitari
Untile the day the sales associates at stores know as much as many of us.... it will be a lost cause talking to them until then since they don't have the information in order to give a proper answer. He is probably simply going by word of mouth of customers and make himself look almighty saving you from a purchase of a amazing system. Haha one day it will change...maybe.Sora311

Depends on what store you go to - I can say in complete confidence that out of all the customers I have gotten, I am more knowledgable in the gaming department than about 98% of them (is my guess).
Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#44 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
I would have still bought the system just to piss him off. I bet he doesn't even own one. I run into nice people at Best Buy, except for one guy, who asked if I wanted the last Wii they had in stock, and I told him 'No, I'm happy with just having my PS3' lol He gave me the dirtiest look :lol:
Sully28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Sully28
Member since 2003 • 5097 Posts
i had a very opposite reaction when i bought mine(feb). The sales guy praised it, and said how fun resistance was. They were out of ps3's when i bought it but he really was into talking about it, i still bought my games and accesories there, but had to buy it at another best buy. I was very happy with the service.
PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts

jjjDogg

when did bestbuy started behaving like EB?

OtterX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 OtterX
[QUOTE="jjjDogg"]

PSdual_wielder

when did bestbuy started behaving like EB?

People who generalize entire store chains by the select encounters they've had are just as bad as this Best Buy employee that this guy described. Different stores have different employees. Simple enough.
tfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 tfaa
Member since 2003 • 362 Posts
Thats funny your braught this up because when i got my ps3 from them, the cashier said the ps3 had a 37% fail rate.......and that a lot of people were bringing them back. all i was thinking was that this guy is an idiot.......
OtterX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 OtterX
Thats funny your braught this up because when i got my ps3 from them, the cashier said the ps3 had a 37% fail rate.......and that a lot of people were bringing them back. all i was thinking was that this guy is an idiot.......tfaa
I think he got his stats mixed up with 360. (no hate to 360, I have one of those too). The launch 360s, from the first six months of sales, had around a 33% failure rate, I believe it was. It was in the Gamespot article about the 3 year warranty extension. I love the 360 gamewise, but my first system died, so I'm on my second. I've had a PS3 for 2 weeks, and so far I'm loving it. And just for the record, I love my Nintendo Wii also. Kumbayah!
Liondog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Liondog
Member since 2004 • 137 Posts
Lemmings undercover. They're gettin desperate. Watch out!