Want to sell my broken 60GB PS3...But

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KurupSoldr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 KurupSoldr
Member since 2006 • 4094 Posts

One i cannot get the hard drive out since the stupid screws stripped, any ideas to remove them?

Second i cannot delete any of my information on the actual PS3 Itself and am afraid to sell it and someone have my information, Do i have any options or is it just done?

I cannot send it to sony becuase i opened it to get my game back ( i had another ps3) so i did not want to be without the game.

What are my options thanks

Edit- It had the blinking red light of death, once i turn on it shut off blinking red immediately

biscuits3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 biscuits3
Member since 2007 • 538 Posts

My 60GB also broke a few months ago, but I've been hesitant to get rid of it for the same reasons as you (personal information, etc). I'm afraid that I don't know a solution either, so consider this a bookmark for someone in the same hole as you, and hopefully people can help us both and save me making a duplicate topic.

big_boss1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 big_boss1988
Member since 2008 • 1241 Posts

try calling someone with electricity experience. im sure he could open. or go to him directly. it will cost u nothing.

sonic0491

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 sonic0491
Member since 2006 • 2508 Posts

Isn't all the account information and stuff on the HDD?

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
You're just gonna have to remove the hard drive cover any way you can. You might break it but if that's what it takes.... How do you intend to sell the PS3? eBay? Just put in the listing that the hard drive cover is broken off.
sturshel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 sturshel
Member since 2007 • 177 Posts

One i cannot get the hard drive out since the stupid screws stripped, any ideas to remove them?

Second i cannot delete any of my information on the actual PS3 Itself and am afraid to sell it and someone have my information, Do i have any options or is it just done?

I cannot send it to sony becuase i opened it to get my game back ( i had another ps3) so i did not want to be without the game.

What are my options thanks

Edit- It had the blinking red light of death, once i turn on it shut off blinking red immediately

KurupSoldr

Aha, same happened to me - so, what worked for me - was a pair of long nose pliers, as well as cutter pliers - had to fiddle with the stripped screws for a while - however I managed to unscrew them with the pliers eventually without damaging the casing.

Cutter pliers - were for one screw that got really stuck - used them to cut the head half way and used them to turn and unscrew it out

Hope you get it right dude........

KurupSoldr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KurupSoldr
You're just gonna have to remove the hard drive cover any way you can. You might break it but if that's what it takes.... How do you intend to sell the PS3? eBay? Just put in the listing that the hard drive cover is broken off.x-2tha-z
Isnt all my account info like credit card etc on my ps3 not the HDD? That is my biggest fear to put that out there for someone. Yah going to sell on ebay plenty of people still want the PS3 that plays ps2 games i see broken ones sell all the time for like 40+ which is better than nothing for something that will be just a paper wieght for the rest of its life with me
jack00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 jack00
Member since 2006 • 4265 Posts
My 60 GB also broke on me for the second time about a month ago. Here's what i did. Took out the HDD, with a normal flat screwdriver, just take on that can fit in the screw and jam it in there so you can get some grip and you should be able to get it out. Second, take out the harddrive, plug it in your PC, use the program "EASEUS" to format the HDD, but it back in, and you're good to go.
Justinps2hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#9 Justinps2hero
Member since 2007 • 2317 Posts

try calling someone with electricity experience. im sure he could open. or go to him directly. it will cost u nothing.

big_boss1988

I've got loads of electricity experience, been using it my whole life.

jack00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 jack00
Member since 2006 • 4265 Posts
[QUOTE="x-2tha-z"]You're just gonna have to remove the hard drive cover any way you can. You might break it but if that's what it takes.... How do you intend to sell the PS3? eBay? Just put in the listing that the hard drive cover is broken off.KurupSoldr
Isnt all my account info like credit card etc on my ps3 not the HDD? That is my biggest fear to put that out there for someone. Yah going to sell on ebay plenty of people still want the PS3 that plays ps2 games i see broken ones sell all the time for like 40+ which is better than nothing for something that will be just a paper wieght for the rest of its life with me

If you didn't go in account management to delete your credit card information, then yeah your credit card number is still on there and the person you will sell it to can have access to it. But, you can go on the psn on your computer, log in with your current username and password, change the password from there, so the next time your ps3 who has your information on it will be asked to enter your password, as it won't be able to log in automaticly without the new password. Therefore, the next person to use your ps3 won'T have access to your account, and credit card number.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
Ok, so I have a 60GB PS3 also, what should I do to prepare for a YLOD situation?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 29111
Member since 2008 • 327 Posts

The best way is to make sure you use the right Trox bit in the first place (T-15 security torx, if i remember correctly). the proper way to remove a stripped screw is with a bit extractor. You can buy one at almost any hardware store or NAPA auto parts (5-6 bucks). it, usually, is a double sided bit with a "Dr. Evil's massive drill" looking head on one side, and a twin sided curved head (like a short, reversed standard drill bit) on the other. Grab a multi-use screw driver (the kind where you can replace the hex shaped tips on it), and insert bit with twin side sticking out.use firm, but slow hand pressure in a counter clockwise motion (no power tools). I believe the screw threads into a plastic tube (no metal thread insert, though i could be mistaken).

KurupSoldr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 KurupSoldr

Thanks for all the replies!