Update V2.53 ruined my PS3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

blkg35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 blkg35
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I have a 60 gig PS3. I was playing a game, and kept getting the pop up messages to update my PS3 software. I did the update, and now my PS3 will not ready any game disk or Blue Ray disk.

I called Sony about the issue, and they told me that i would have to pay them $150 for them to look at the problem, and that there are many warnings about doing updates, and that i do so at my own risk. They refused to fix or even acknowledge the problem. Please read the info from the below post. Beware, if you do this update and it breaks your PS3 you will have to pay Sony $150 of live with a $500 paper weight.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3updates&thread.id=37861

Eddie5vs1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Eddie5vs1
Member since 2004 • 6085 Posts
[QUOTE="blkg35"]

I have a 60 gig PS3. I was playing a game, and kept getting the pop up messages to update my PS3 software. I did the update, and now my PS3 will not ready any game disk or Blue Ray disk.

I called Sony about the issue, and they told me that i would have to pay them $150 for them to look at the problem, and that there are many warnings about doing updates, and that i do so at my own risk. They refused to fix or even acknowledge the problem. Please read the info from the below post. Beware, if you do this update and it breaks your PS3 you will have to pay Sony $150 of live with a $500 paper weight.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3updates&thread.id=37861

Level 1 poster, 1 post. And you're first post it to bash the ps3 on the ps3 boards.....sorry I'm not buying it. And the ps3 doesn't keep giving you pop up messages, it gives you one.
FFVIIROCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 FFVIIROCKS
Member since 2007 • 1176 Posts
[QUOTE="blkg35"]

Eddie5vs1

Level 1 poster, 1 post. And you're first post it to bash the ps3 on the ps3 boards.....sorry I'm not buying it. And the ps3 doesn't keep giving you pop up messages, it gives you one.

Ohh...you just got owned. Nice one!

K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
Its been awhile before I saw any of these post.I was wondering when it was going to happen again.You might have gotten away with it if it were not for the '500 dollar paper weight' comment.
Cexr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Cexr
Member since 2006 • 215 Posts
Well, i do have a expensive brick at home, My Ps3 wont accept any disk, its stuck and i cannot put any disk inside, and i don't have the cash to sent it, so i'm pretty screwed, The point is: the PS3 its not immortal, its a electronic device and can (and will) break sometime,
blkg35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 blkg35
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I am not asking you to buy it... I would think you could ready the post from the other fourm!

[QUOTE="blkg35"]

Eddie5vs1

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
[QUOTE="Eddie5vs1"][QUOTE="blkg35"]

Hey man, I'm in my 30's, and I experienced a similar hardware failure too. I also own(ed) a 60GB launch unit, and I also have to spend $160 to get it fixed. It's amusing to me that PS3 loyalists act like the PS3 can't experience hardware failures of any kind... particularly amusing considering that the PS2 had widespread disc-read errors. So yeah, I'm in the same boat, and am pissed.
river_rat3117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 river_rat3117
Member since 2003 • 3474 Posts
even if he is trolling, hes right. the last update did it to my cousins ps3
email2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 email2003
Member since 2004 • 3529 Posts
Isn't odd how most of these updates are messing up some of the PS3 systems but not mine. I have yet to have my system break down due to an update.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 donalbane
Isn't odd how most of these updates are messing up some of the PS3 systems but not mine. I have yet to have my system break down due to an update.email2003
I notice you have an 80GB. Maybe the problem is limited to the 60GB. Who knows? (I mean outside of Sony.)
Eddie5vs1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Eddie5vs1
Member since 2004 • 6085 Posts
[QUOTE="donalbane"][QUOTE="Eddie5vs1"][QUOTE="blkg35"]

Hey man, I'm in my 30's, and I experienced a similar hardware failure too. I also own(ed) a 60GB launch unit, and I also have to spend $160 to get it fixed. It's amusing to me that PS3 loyalists act like the PS3 can't experience hardware failures of any kind... particularly amusing considering that the PS2 had widespread disc-read errors. So yeah, I'm in the same boat, and am pissed.

I have no doubt that like all electronics, PS3's fail from time to time. And I've heard several posters on here claim that an update bricked their console. The reason I was suspicious it that it is a first time poster claiming his ps3 failed on the ps3 forums. If I was wrong I apoligize to the OP, but you and I both know that alt accounts are used all the time to troll the various consoles. Again, if I was wrong, I'm sorry.
smeags11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 smeags11
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts
did 2.53 come out today?
Avatar image for Louis_Routledge
Louis_Routledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Louis_Routledge
Member since 2004 • 5355 Posts
Fail. Xbox fanboy alert.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 donalbane
[QUOTE="donalbane"][QUOTE="Eddie5vs1"] Level 1 poster, 1 post. And you're first post it to bash the ps3 on the ps3 boards.....sorry I'm not buying it. And the ps3 doesn't keep giving you pop up messages, it gives you one. Eddie5vs1

I have no doubt that like all electronics, PS3's fail from time to time. And I've heard several posters on here claim that an update bricked their console. The reason I was suspicious it that it is a first time poster claiming his ps3 failed on the ps3 forums. If I was wrong I apoligize to the OP, but you and I both know that alt accounts are used all the time to troll the various consoles. Again, if I was wrong, I'm sorry.

I suppose I understand the skeptisizm somewhat considering all the BS that usually accumulates in these forums... no worries.
email2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 email2003
Member since 2004 • 3529 Posts
[QUOTE="email2003"]Isn't odd how most of these updates are messing up some of the PS3 systems but not mine. I have yet to have my system break down due to an update.donalbane
I notice you have an 80GB. Maybe the problem is limited to the 60GB. Who knows? (I mean outside of Sony.)

No man, I have a 20GB model but I put in a 80GB HDD in it.
other44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 other44
Member since 2007 • 1494 Posts
haha, EPIC FAIL