UMD vs DOWNLOAD (poll)

• 135 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

coolkid93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 coolkid93
Member since 2007 • 6749 Posts

Which one do you prefer?

UMD for me. I actually feel like I'm adding to my collection.It'll suckfor people who have dial up.

Renzokucant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Renzokucant
Member since 2009 • 3157 Posts

download is where its at, id rather keep a xGB card in the pSp and play whatever i want than carry around umd's

Avatar image for Nocturnal_Speed
Nocturnal_Speed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Nocturnal_Speed
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts
I'm still can't believe how gaming has changed into what it is now.... DLC, Add-ons, Digital, Demos...... whatever happen to the good o days when you just looked online, saw some videos, reviews, looked at pictured and went to the store to purchase a hard copy and when you got home read through the whole booklet which gets me in the mood to start my journey into bla bla bla.... :( I guess I just need to live with the fact.
DivadeChico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DivadeChico
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
ya i know what you mean. like having the umd make you fell like u have a big collection and selection, but like i have a lot of problems with umd's cuz the see threw glass part some time falls out ,or the plastic snaps etc, they should make it simpler like gba and ds games are. lol this one time my friends little bro didnt know how it worked so he opend up th cover part ... it doesnt worknow :P
DivadeChico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DivadeChico
HA HA LOL so true worlds changing to fast.
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#6 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts
[QUOTE="Nocturnal_Speed"]I'm still can't believe how gaming has changed into what it is now.... DLC, Add-ons, Digital, Demos...... whatever happen to the good o days when you just looked online, saw some videos, reviews, looked at pictured and went to the store to purchase a hard copy and when you got home read through the whole booklet which gets me in the mood to start my journey into bla bla bla.... :( I guess I just need to live with the fact.

get with the times old man! :D whateva' happened to those good ol' dayz..... lol... *plays the "The Times They Are A' Changin'"
loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts
Both. For the price of one copy.
fatbed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 fatbed

both, that way u can be old-school and lazy

sumdumsim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sumdumsim
Member since 2004 • 217 Posts

The PSP-go has me really excited I can't wait to have no UMD's for my lil brothers to lose it will be great.

Eddie5vs1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Eddie5vs1
Member since 2004 • 6085 Posts
For small/cheap games I don't mind downloads. But if it's a full game I prefer a UMD.
SylvanMidget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SylvanMidget
Member since 2009 • 600 Posts

Download for me, I'm not buying a PSP Go tho. I'll wait until either a price drop, my 3000 fails or every game goes download only (which won't happen)

rodney130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 rodney130
Member since 2004 • 1139 Posts

I prefer a hard copy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d4b602d21842
deactivated-5d4b602d21842

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 deactivated-5d4b602d21842
Member since 2006 • 5036 Posts

I dont play my PSP on the go ever so downloading games for me is pointless. Plus I collect games and not having a tangible version makes it hard to count that in my collection....

headshot4336

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 headshot4336
Member since 2008 • 42 Posts
i just like UMD better although i have not played with my PSP in a long time
coolkid93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 coolkid93
ya i know what you mean. like having the umd make you fell like u have a big collection and selection, but like i have a lot of problems with umd's cuz the see threw glass part some time falls out ,or the plastic snaps etc, they should make it simpler like gba and ds games are. lol this one time my friends little bro didnt know how it worked so he opend up th cover part ... it doesnt worknow :P DivadeChico
Yup.
GameHog9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GameHog9
Member since 2008 • 1052 Posts

DDs for me. Way faster.

Avatar image for paperdollparade
paperdollparade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 paperdollparade
Member since 2007 • 1915 Posts

for the PSP i'd say download. I'm not really attached to physical media for the handhelds. console games are another story though.

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SaudiFury

for the PSP i'd say download. I'm not really attached to physical media for the handhelds. console games are another story though.

paperdollparade
ditto
Sweet_Genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Sweet_Genocide
Member since 2009 • 777 Posts

I prefer it on disc. I like the cases and such and it does feel more like owning something. The downloads are nice for people who don't want to switch umd's out and take up space though.

Darth_Sibbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#21 Darth_Sibbs
Member since 2004 • 4234 Posts
Time has passed now for the cartridge/disc for hand held gaming (well not quite). I'd much rather have a download that I can take 5-6 games on the road with me with far less clutter, and increased battery life.
darkPSPfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 darkPSPfan
Member since 2007 • 4934 Posts
[QUOTE="Nocturnal_Speed"]I'm still can't believe how gaming has changed into what it is now.... DLC, Add-ons, Digital, Demos...... whatever happen to the good o days when you just looked online, saw some videos, reviews, looked at pictured and went to the store to purchase a hard copy and when you got home read through the whole booklet which gets me in the mood to start my journey into bla bla bla.... :( I guess I just need to live with the fact.

you have something against demos? o.O wow
WoodDisc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 WoodDisc
Member since 2008 • 103 Posts

UMD. Then agien Im a fan of all phiscal media products..

How big would the files be for the PSP GO! I much rather pay for the UMD and not worry about downloading massive files then what happens when ya psp breaks down? u might lose all ya games and save files.. Another UMD advantage.

coolkid93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 coolkid93

If memory cards were cheaper, I'd say download all the way. I do like reading manuals when bored, so I voted for both.

roulettethedog
Yeah you can't really download alot of games onto a memory card
myst3rial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 myst3rial
Member since 2009 • 272 Posts

UMD:

- when something will go wrong with memory card I'll loose only saves, (no need to download again)

- when a particular game becomes boring - I just sell it on eBay and buy another game,

- in some games instruction booklet is very helpful

- you cannot share your games with your friend (not by "Game Sharing")

- you can find UMD games cheaper in maaany stores or on eBay-like-sites, downloadable games have only one price in PSN. For example RR in EU PSN store costs €30 but UMD version (new + psp material case) costs €15 (eBay)...

- when buying via PSN Store you don't feel that you bought a game worth €20-€30, it's easier to spend more money..

For me, the only disadvantage of UMD is portability. It's much more hard to take 5-7 games and put them into pocket :)

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SaudiFury

How big would the files be for the PSP GO! I much rather pay for the UMD and not worry about downloading massive files then what happens when ya psp breaks down? u might lose all ya games and save files.. Another UMD advantage.

WoodDisc
you can put about 17-18 games on your PSP Go, and that's not with another 16 gig micro sd chip added on. if you need more then 10 games on your PSP at any one time, that's not good. plus you can exchange and offload games and apps via Media Go and i'm sure your PS3.
Tim_Millington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27 Tim_Millington
Member since 2007 • 1615 Posts

I like the idea of both. I like the idea of adding UMDs to my collection, but i like the portalilty of downloading.

mazniq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28 mazniq
Member since 2006 • 515 Posts

I definitely don't like UMD. I already have two broken UMD discs and honestly I'm mad about that. Yeah it may seem a better, more safer way to contain and preserve your games but for me download is one idea faster, more reliable way to get my games

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18811 Posts
Hard Copy>>> DD i can buy, resell, borrow and trade UMDs/disk if i dont want them no more like how the business world works.
Maleduq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Maleduq
Both for me. I mean, i downloaded Metal Gear Portable Ops a few years ago. I was amazed so i buy a solid copy. Since then that's pretty much what I do. Download it and if i like it enough buy a copy and make my collection bigger :)
Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Xeros606
Member since 2007 • 11126 Posts
Download mainly because it's better for battery life than discs.
Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6059 Posts

WoodDisc

Very true, Lets say I have a psp go with a bunch of games downloaded on it and someone were to steal it at school/work (not home). I would have no psp or no games.

If I had a regular psp and someone stole it the only thing I would lose is the psp, memory card and the one game that is probably inside it. Then the rest of my games at my house I would still have.

I think I would a little easier to replace a stolen psp, a memory card and one game instead of replacing a psp and your whole catalog of your digitally downloaded games.

KurodaMurasaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 KurodaMurasaki
Member since 2008 • 1670 Posts

Download.

It's convenient and the files are only going to be around 700MB-800MB.

You guys are all acting like Sony is stupid. You can redownload all your files as many times as you want, but only on a verified system with the account password. In other words you can't redistribute the game unless you give away complete access to your account.

I don't enjoy carrying around bulky discs that scratch if I just put it in my pocket. Downloaded games also load a number of times faster.

munkeypoo45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34 munkeypoo45
Member since 2008 • 3221 Posts

i like disc based stuff, because i dont have credit card and i dont want to hassle with buying a psn card, but downloadable games means i dont have to carry around discs where ever i go, soo i like both.

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#35 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

Right now I like UMD, but I think I'm going to trade in all my UMD games for digital ones when I get the chance.

Right now I can buy most UMD games for cheaper than I can buy their digital counterparts. Also I only have a 4gb memory stick, and like to keep videos, music, and pictures on my psp also. That only leaves me room for 1 or 2 games at a time, and I can easily carry around 2 umd's in my case already, and one in the psp (total 3 games).

Why am I going to trade in my UMD games eventually?

Because eventually sony is going to have the psp2, and it's not going to have a UMD drive, but it will play digital copies of my games. Also I tend to loose my older games, and you can't loose a digital copy unless you completely loose your account which I don't see happening.

RazerBlade13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 RazerBlade13
Member since 2008 • 3822 Posts

I like being able to pass a UMD to my friend so he can play. Besides, it'll be easy to pirate games if they go download only.

KurodaMurasaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 KurodaMurasaki
Member since 2008 • 1670 Posts

I like being able to pass a UMD to my friend so he can play. Besides, it'll be easy to pirate games if they go download only.

RazerBlade13

No it's harder for downloadable games.
It's impossible to give away games from PSN without giving away all access to an account.

coolkid93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 coolkid93
[QUOTE="myst3rial"]

UMD:

- when something will go wrong with memory card I'll loose only saves, (no need to download again)

- when a particular game becomes boring - I just sell it on eBay and buy another game,

- in some games instruction booklet is very helpful

- you cannot share your games with your friend (not by "Game Sharing")

- you can find UMD games cheaper in maaany stores or on eBay-like-sites, downloadable games have only one price in PSN. For example RR in EU PSN store costs €30 but UMD version (new + psp material case) costs €15 (eBay)...

- when buying via PSN Store you don't feel that you bought a game worth €20-€30, it's easier to spend more money..

For me, the only disadvantage of UMD is portability. It's much more hard to take 5-7 games and put them into pocket :)

Exactly
SovietGRU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SovietGRU
Member since 2009 • 143 Posts
I would have to go with UMDs for the sake of my collection.
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18811 Posts
@jrhawk what makes u think PSP2 will be DD only? Instant Internet access is still ways off unless Sony put 3G network in all PSP2s. If the rumors are true about Sony bringing back BC to all PS3s, then it goes to show how important BC is really is. The smart thing to do is have a better as in better coating, bigger as in more space and faster as in faster loads time UMD. By having BC Sony can attract the already 20+ million current PSP owners.
FallofAthens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 FallofAthens
Member since 2008 • 2026 Posts

I prefer a physical copy, but I don't think they should do away with downloading as well. I think Sony should just give people a choice between the two and not just go with one or the other.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

UMD; I'm building a collection.

I think Sony should provide a service where you can order the UMD ver for download only titltes, and they'll produce it for you for a fee. Sure it'd be more expensive, but ...

-ColinR-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 -ColinR-
Member since 2009 • 424 Posts

Well with downloads I wouldn't have to carry around my UMDs. But with UMDs I wouldn't have to wait ages for it to download.

Ill get a PSP GO depending on how big PSP games are to download.

Panzeram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44 Panzeram
Member since 2008 • 653 Posts

Downloads all the way. I download most of my music with iTunes, so downloadable PSP games is fine by me; way more convenient. The only time I like to have the physical media is when it comes to my favorite music like Tool, Radiohead, Clutch or Mastodon.

squaredude44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45 squaredude44
Member since 2009 • 289 Posts

I agree totally, i love the feeling of adding to my collection, but i do hate the fact of carrying your UMD's everywhere you go!

coolkid93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 coolkid93

I prefer a physical copy, but I don't think they should do away with downloading as well. I think Sony should just give people a choice between the two and not just go with one or the other.

FallofAthens
Yeah I like them both but I like UMD waaaay better. At least when I'm playing a UMD I won't have to worry about having my psp screen say data corrupted on a game I just bought.
Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#47 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts

UMD, I prefer keeping hard copies and don't like downloading games that'll consume my bandwith, which I always seem to go over.

nyc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 nyc05
Member since 2005 • 10190 Posts

UMD all the way for me.

big_TV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 big_TV
Member since 2009 • 36 Posts

I like downloading better but sometimes it takes a long time to download. Games load faster through a memory stick though

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
I like UMD, since im pretty materialistic.