True Crime:Hong Kong/ Guitar Hero Canceled :(

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 0

#1 Young_Charter
Member since 2009 • 20067 Posts

Wow that sucks (Sorry link below)

Wow, I was seriously looking forward towards True Crime Hong Kong... I think IMO they would've made a huge profit out of it because there is barely any Sandbox games and everyone (IMO again) wanted a GTA like game based in a Asian Area.. That's a huge disappointment. . Idk why companies cannot finish what they start..

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Young_Charter
http://www.psu.com/Guitar-Hero,-True-Crime--Hong-Kong-canned--a010637-p0.php Publishing behemoth Activision's confirmed that it's pulled the plug on this year's planned entry in the Guitar Hero franchise. Concurrently, the firm also announced that its open-world offering True Crime: Hong Kong has been axed. "We simply cannot make these games profitable given the current market," the firm said overnight. True Crime developer United Front Games expressed its disappointment over the decision, though added it understands Activision's reasoning behind the cancellation. "We are sorry we did not get a chance to complete this project with Activision, but we understand why. We are both committed to doing quality games and nothing less," the company said on its official website. "Maybe we will have a chance to work together in the future, but in the meantime we are setting our creative sights on a different horizon." Elsewhere, Guitar Hero Wii studio Vicarious Visions and DJ Hero developer FreeStyleGames have suffered numerous staff cuts: "These decisions are based on the desire to focus on the greatest opportunities that the company currently has to create the world's best interactive entertainment experiences," Activision said.
Wisely321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Wisely321
Member since 2008 • 686 Posts
yeah, Im truly disappointed too. Im looking forward to see how could they make a game set in Hong Kong as Im living in Hong Kong right now ;)
jnjreams76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 jnjreams76
Member since 2008 • 770 Posts
wow, I was looking forward to TC:HK. even had it preordered at one point, before the massive delay caused me to get a refund. seems like they had to be close to finishing it up though...
Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Young_Charter
yeah, Im truly disappointed too. Im looking forward to see how could they make a game set in Hong Kong as Im living in Hong Kong right now ;)Wisely321
oh hush.... lol
wow, I was looking forward to TC:HK. even had it preordered at one point, before the massive delay caused me to get a refund. seems like they had to be close to finishing it up though...jnjreams76
I think it was dumb... Oh well, we do have LAN n SR3 coming out.
FanboyzAnnoyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FanboyzAnnoyz
Member since 2009 • 34 Posts

i was seriously looking foward to true crime hong kong cause i used to live in hk :(

anyone think another publisher might reboot the game?

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Young_Charter

i was seriously looking foward to true crime hong kong cause i used to live in hk :(

anyone think another publisher might reboot the game?

FanboyzAnnoyz
Who knows.. I think so though.. That's a piece of money right there and not much to spend due to so much already done.
Avatar image for DarkBloodPrince
DarkBloodPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DarkBloodPrince
Member since 2007 • 470 Posts

sucks that True Crime is canceled hopefully an another publisher can get them like how EA got Brutal Legend from activison

and im not really sad that gh is gone imo Rock Band was better but now since the Music genre is now dead it will be lie to rest till it will rise from the dead and attack with it new found awesomeness

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts
True Crime was cancelled because they said "It wasnt good enough" yet Activision keep on creating Tony Hawk games.
killerband55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 killerband55
Member since 2003 • 107961 Posts

i wasnt surprised Guitar Hero got cancelled, i mean how many copies of Warriors of Rock was sold last year when it released?

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
i am glad that GH is finally dead but true crime is a shame it had potential
Wisely321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Wisely321
Member since 2008 • 686 Posts
i am glad that GH is finally dead but true crime is a shame it had potential elbert_b_23
agree
The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts
I just hope by "Guitar Hero Cancelled" that doesn't mean they are going to stop with DLC for current GH titles.
DrRockso87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 DrRockso87
Member since 2010 • 2647 Posts

Good to see Guitar Hero put out of its misery but True Crime is a shame. Oh well. Call of Duty has become Activision's golden bread and butter lately so I'm not surprised they're axing everything else. I think Tony Hawk is finished too (or has been finished considering the last game's sales were pitiful). So goes the fall of Activision (hopefully).

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Young_Charter
They do have to many Guitar Hero's lol :P I can careless for those
gial240

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 gial240
Member since 2004 • 2019 Posts

True crimes was a surprise, Guitar Hero not so much. I was a fan of the first True Crime games and now there is no more looking forward to beating up bad guys in Hong Kong...

shadowdisciple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 shadowdisciple
Member since 2011 • 45 Posts
This may take a while so bare with me. All these moves show the one thing Activision clearly lacks: foresight. I remember an article from about a year ago where Kotick was talking about the mistakes he made. One was passing on the Sims because Will Wright had taken too long in developing his previous game Simcity 2000. Lack of foresight. Another was passing on an opportunity to acquire Blizzard for like 10 million but Kotick thought Blizzard's upcoming project, an MMO, wasn't gonna be successful. Years later Activision acquired Blizzard in a multi-billion dollar deal after the behemoth known as World of Warcraft released. Lack of foresight. Look at what caused the downfall of Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero. Tony Hawk was successful at first so it's understandable to release a follow up somewhat quickly. However, there is nothing inherent to skateboarding where a new game must come out each year. After Tony Hawk 3, maybe 4, they should have slowed down the series but instead they chose to over saturate the market for skateboarding games with annual releases. Lack of foresight. With Guitar Hero, all that needs to be said is they released five Guitar Hero games in one year. Let me repeat that, THEY RELEASED FIVE GUITAR HERO GAMES IN ONE YEAR! (sorry for yelling) It was bound to fall with that sort of mass over saturation. Lack of foresight. With True Crime, now is the perfect time to release an open world sandbox game for multiple reasons. One, the genre has slowed down but has not died (the success of Red Dead shows it's not). There are no longer dozens of "me too" sandbox games flooding the market. Two, True Crime, while not extremely successful is still a known franchise that has at least a little cache with the gaming public. Three, there are, at the moment, no known plans for the Grand Theft Auto series. That could change come E3, but at the moment no GTA is being released in the near future. Four, while still being undoubtedly a massive success, GTA4 was viewed by many to be a huge disappointment. That gives room for another franchise to make some headway in the genre. Once again, lack of foresight. Now all this would mean nothing if True Crime: Hong Kong was truly (no pun intended) shaping up to be an utter piece of trash, but if not, it's just another example of what Activision lacks: foresight.
jubeio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jubeio
Member since 2006 • 1578 Posts

that sucks, i spent ages trying to find TC :NYC . played that game and loved it, was waiting to see how big the game went with this Gen

The_Rick_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 The_Rick_14
Member since 2006 • 9945 Posts
. With Guitar Hero, all that needs to be said is they released five Guitar Hero games in one year. Let me repeat that, THEY RELEASED FIVE GUITAR HERO GAMES IN ONE YEAR! (sorry for yelling) It was bound to fall with that sort of mass over saturation. Lack of foresight.shadowdisciple
When you actually look at the cost, the majority of them were really just cheaper track packs that you had to import into the GH game that you actually played (with the exception of Van Halen but that was free). That's how I looked them anyway. I got a ton more songs out of it for far less per song than if they were all added to the store as DLC. WIth that said, I do hear where you are coming from.