Trading in YLOD ps3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nicko44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 nicko44
Member since 2008 • 35 Posts

Hey peoples, im going to trade in my 40gb YLOD PS3 to EB GAMES for $50 to put towards a new slim 120gb PS3.

Anyway my question is,

if i trade in my YLOD ps3 will they be able to fix it and get my information on my broken ps3? Becuase thereis personal information on my YLOD ps3 such as billing stuff and personal pictures and videos, im scared that if i trade it in someone will be able to fix it and get into all my stuff,

I told them this at EB GAMES and they guranteed that you cant recover any information once you get YLOD..so is it worth the risk? i dont want my online account hacked?

caseystryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 caseystryker
Member since 2005 • 5421 Posts

It's a risk that's for sure. I don't think I'd be comfortable relying on them to safeaguard my personal information. I'd just rather pay the $150 and send it to Sony as I'd trust them more than I trust any other game retailer. I guess it all depends how much you're willing to risk in order to get a new slim.

nicko44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 nicko44

they said that if they try and fix it, it will be "wiped clean"

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
Has to be, once you remove a HDD and try to insert it in another ps3 the HDD HAS to be formatted.
kaim_i

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 kaim_i
Member since 2005 • 959 Posts

if you try to sell the ylod ps3 off craiglist, you can get a little more than gamestop.

ASRCSR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 ASRCSR
Member since 2008 • 2793 Posts

Are you even sure EB Games take broken PS3 because the one by me doesn't so it might be a company policy or a branch thing.

LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts

Are you even sure EB Games take broken PS3 because the one by me doesn't so it might be a company policy or a branch thing.

ASRCSR
yea same with me (i live in the city) the one buy me doesnt take broken systems, so you might wanna check that out TC before getting your hopes up
nicko44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nicko44

yep my EB GAMES said $50 anyway how do i deactivate my ps3 online? where is the website?

zeroflame33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 zeroflame33
Member since 2009 • 39 Posts

I suggest you take out the HDD and take it to a shop which repairs pcs and stuff and ask them to format it.Then you wont have to worry about your personal data.

nicko44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nicko44

I suggest you take out the HDD and take it to a shop which repairs pcs and stuff and ask them to format it.Then you wont have to worry about your personal data.

zeroflame33

yea but they can still access me online account?

i_noseworthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 i_noseworthy
Member since 2003 • 1585 Posts

nicko44
That's total BS and just another example of GS employees being the most useless and uninformative workers on the face of the planet. The HDD is not affected in any way when a PS3 is repaired. I know because I fixed my own (as have many other people), and everything is still perfectly intact. As already stated, if the HDD is transferred to another console, then it will have to be formatted. But if the console is repaired and the HDD is returned to it, all of your original data will remain intact, unless they manually wipe the drive.
nicko44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nicko44

[QUOTE="nicko44"]

i_noseworthy

That's total BS and just another example of GS employees being the most useless and uninformative workers on the face of the planet. The HDD is not affected in any way when a PS3 is repaired. I know because I fixed my own (as have many other people), and everything is still perfectly intact. As already stated, if the HDD is transferred to another console, then it will have to be formatted. But if the console is repaired and the HDD is returned to it, all of your original data will remain intact, unless they manually wipe the drive.

so your point is i should trade it in or not?