Top things you had no idea your PS3 was capable of doing /shock

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CleanNJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 CleanNJerk
Member since 2009 • 2104 Posts

Hello fellow Gamespot ppl.

This will just be a random round up of things I know, your PS3 can do. So read along and feel free to add on to the discussion, there are things you know i won't lol.

1. Youtube XL, is a PS3 version of You Tube, Go into your PS3 browser, simply typing in "youtube.com" should do the trick, otherwise "youtubexl.com is the one.

2. G4TV has a portal for XPLAY, Attack of the SHow and more just for your PS3 browser, updated nightly after the shows. G4TV.com

3. Your PC media server is a charm on the PS3. Your home network should connect to your PC users via your PS3, under the Photo, Music, and Videos category of your XMB. If they aren't already showing up, simply search for media servers, this also contributes to being able to store your PC things on PS3 including movies, music, and photos.

4. Copy save files to other user account on your PS3. As stated straight forward, go to saved data utility, and copy your save.

5. Your GH and RB peripherals are compatible with, PS2 instruments, including mics, guitars and drums, all from singstar, gh and the works. As long as it's USB 2.0 connected, it actually will work, so don't hesitate to buy that 98 cent naked brothers band ps2 bundle from your local Gamestop when you are searching for a quality mic, it is actually perfect.

6. You can manipulate the movement of the Music Player on certain visual styles... using your right stick.

So guys I realised this is a half baked thread, however, I promise you I just layed out the foundation and will keep it up to date and interesting, and I hope you will all help me keep it this way. Thanks for the support. Clean out till night fall.

EDIT: Your PS3 only does everything, so keep searching ;)

SadPSPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#2 SadPSPAddict
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts
Unfortanutely number 4 doesn't work on most new games - they are copy protected :(
Coolboy420x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Coolboy420x
Member since 2004 • 2235 Posts
Well I thought Having the Option to Turn On and Off my PS3 with My T.V. Remote is pretty Cool...
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#4 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

It took me well over a year to eventually realise there was internet :P

Avatar image for Lord_of_Terrans
Lord_of_Terrans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lord_of_Terrans
Member since 2004 • 196 Posts
The thing that i was most shocked to realize with my PS3 is that it can actually break.....
kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

want ur parents to shell out for a HD camcorder? or got one urself but find it chews up ur old Intel P4 when u try and save files there? plug ur AVCHD camcorder (flash or HDD) into ur ps3 and copy ur footage to there for storage. even better if u upgrade ur HDD on the ps3! high def storage and playback!

budboarder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#7 budboarder
Member since 2005 • 2304 Posts
Wasnt really shocked to see anything that is for the ps3. I had been anticipating its release for about a year before it came out. So I was well informed of its capabilities before I got a release one. I was more shocked as to a few things that it didnt have at release as alot of people were. But at least over the couple years its been around, they have remedied most initial flaws. I guess the most interesting feature was the psp connectivity(ability to connect the psp to an internet connection anywhere and turn on the ps3 and show people your movies pics and music). Even if its not the most reliable feature.
jands42107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jands42107
Member since 2010 • 168 Posts
#1 thing: That it can take up so much of my time.
M3ran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#9 M3ran
Member since 2010 • 686 Posts
yep i was really shocked the other night my ps3 froze and i cant play bluray,dvd,cd, i was shocked by that, so now it made me stronger no matter what,even if i have to pay and buy a new ps3slim ill do it, A PS3 is a necessary tool of gamers
Scianix-Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Scianix-Black
Member since 2008 • 19297 Posts

Half baked, April 20th, bahahahaha.

CleanNJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CleanNJerk

Half baked, April 20th, bahahahaha.

Scianix-Black

220% baked as of 4:03

17 minutes!

LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts
i just found out if you break open the UMD casing to the psp games that you can actually play them on your PS3..simply insert it as you would do a regular disc based game
yentlequible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 yentlequible
Member since 2009 • 2620 Posts
I already knew how to do everything on that list...
kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

i just found out if you break open the UMD casing to the psp games that you can actually play them on your PS3..simply insert it as you would do a regular disc based gameLP4EVA2005

dirty lies :P

CravenMenthol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 CravenMenthol
Member since 2008 • 47 Posts

[QUOTE="LP4EVA2005"]i just found out if you break open the UMD casing to the psp games that you can actually play them on your PS3..simply insert it as you would do a regular disc based gamekungfool69

dirty lies :P

I was this close on trying that Lol. What suprised me was the hole sim thing in the playstation network and I'm suprised on how many people use it. It is boring as hell.

nelson415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 nelson415
Member since 2007 • 1807 Posts

3. Your PC media server is a charm on the PS3. Your home network should connect to your PC users via your PS3, under the Photo, Music, and Videos category of your XMB. If they aren't already showing up, simply search for media servers, this also contributes to being able to store your PC things on PS3 including movies, music, and photos.

CleanNJerk

I didn't know this until probably a month ago :|

CleanNJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CleanNJerk

Y7. Your PS3 is a good BOY!! :D

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

Nothing of importance since I did pretty well in "keeping up"...

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19 Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

** Dave Letterman Pencil flick **

10. Float.... I thought it would sink
9. Break, I thought only Xbox 360s did this
8. Backup the hard drive
7. Run Linux... oh wait...
6. Upscale DVDs so they look better in HD
5. Allow an iPod as an attachment
4. Allow non Sony peripherals such as wireless KB/Mouse/Headset
3. Provide forensic evidence as the piano gloss surface collects fingerprints
2. Set your color scheme to auto change based on the month and year
1. Use my own theme, icons and stuff I create on my PC can be copied to the machine and used.

They're not in any particular order btw.

UTIxxx50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 UTIxxx50
Member since 2007 • 914 Posts

I was shocked at how getting trophies could be so addictive........

SadPSPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#21 SadPSPAddict
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts

UTIxxx50

Yeah me too :lol:

Cell2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Cell2u
Member since 2008 • 262 Posts

1. Youtube XL, is a PS3 version of You Tube, Go into your PS3 browser, simply typing in "youtube.com" should do the trick, otherwise "youtubexl.com is the one.

2. G4TV has a portal for XPLAY, Attack of the SHow and more just for your PS3 browser, updated nightly after the shows. G4TV.com

3. Your PC media server is a charm on the PS3. Your home network should connect to your PC users via your PS3, under the Photo, Music, and Videos category of your XMB. If they aren't already showing up, simply search for media servers, this also contributes to being able to store your PC things on PS3 including movies, music, and photos.CleanNJerk

1. Youtube doesnt work on my slim. I open the browser and it already has a youtube link on the opening page. I click it. Search a video i want. When i click the video it just says GO UPGRADE. So i click that and it opens a java page that says "Sorry this browser is not compatible with java." No other options.

2. Where exactly are these shows? In the video section of the store? Or only by using the browser which doesnt even play youtube videos? lol.

3. Search for media servers on both music and videos just says "scanning" and it has never found anything.... ever.

For me, my PS3 seems loaded with useless junk that only works under certain perfect conditions.

MistressZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MistressZero
Member since 2009 • 26 Posts

[QUOTE="UTIxxx50"]

SadPSPAddict

Me, three!! It's one of the main reasons I keep playing a game long after it's lost its thrill!!

Elian2530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 Elian2530
Member since 2009 • 3658 Posts
Unfortanutely number 4 doesn't work on most new games - they are copy protected :(SadPSPAddict
Yup. :( Heavy Rain, Killzone 2 are some of em.
newhighscore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 newhighscore
Member since 2008 • 2037 Posts

I had no idea it was so capable of eating up so much of my time. :?

CleanNJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 CleanNJerk

[QUOTE="CleanNJerk"]

3. Your PC media server is a charm on the PS3. Your home network should connect to your PC users via your PS3, under the Photo, Music, and Videos category of your XMB. If they aren't already showing up, simply search for media servers, this also contributes to being able to store your PC things on PS3 including movies, music, and photos.Cell2u

1. Youtube doesnt work on my slim. I open the browser and it already has a youtube link on the opening page. I click it. Search a video i want. When i click the video it just says GO UPGRADE. So i click that and it opens a java page that says "Sorry this browser is not compatible with java." No other options.

2. Where exactly are these shows? In the video section of the store? Or only by using the browser which doesnt even play youtube videos? lol.

3. Search for media servers on both music and videos just says "scanning" and it has never found anything.... ever.

For me, my PS3 seems loaded with useless junk that only works under certain perfect conditions.

Okay well, for 1. the PS3 has a Youtube portal, try youtubexl.com next time you type into the PS3. It works like a charm.

2 It's in the browser it's a PS3 version of G4TV where you can watch.

3. You need to be operating on a router. CHeck your PC settings for your network database and allow all connections to the PS3, it wshould work. If you get it to work you will recieve a prompt showing your PC username on an icon on your PS3 under the videos, photos, and music categories. Try it out and let me know.

CleanNJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CleanNJerk

8. The PS3 is capable of removing time of your life, how shocking :P

CleanNJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 CleanNJerk

** Dave Letterman Pencil flick **

10. Float.... I thought it would sink
9. Break, I thought only Xbox 360s did this
8. Backup the hard drive
7. Run Linux... oh wait...
6. Upscale DVDs so they look better in HD
5. Allow an iPod as an attachment
4. Allow non Sony peripherals such as wireless KB/Mouse/Headset
3. Provide forensic evidence as the piano gloss surface collects fingerprints
2. Set your color scheme to auto change based on the month and year
1. Use my own theme, icons and stuff I create on my PC can be copied to the machine and used.

They're not in any particular order btw.

Chickan_117

Good list though, many of those are well known except iPod compatibility, that is cool.

T-Aldous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 T-Aldous
Member since 2006 • 1244 Posts
Well I thought Having the Option to Turn On and Off my PS3 with My T.V. Remote is pretty Cool...Coolboy420x
How are doing that? Do you have a Blue-tooth remote? OT, I found out that it is really good for streaming my NFL games through the browser from the internet.
Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

Cell2u

Only two things are required for #3. First you need to have setup a media server (duh), second your PS3needs to be on the same network as the PC you're trying to stream from. Setting upa media server can be as simple as opening Windows Media Player on a standard PC, going into the media sharing options and turning it on for your PS3.

The PS3 is loaded with a bunch of features that are versatile and pretty easy to use. I think you're wrong saying it's loaded with junk that only works under perfect conditions. Every feature my PS3 has works with just minor configuration (as per the on screen instructions)

[QUOTE="Coolboy420x"]Well I thought Having the Option to Turn On and Off my PS3 with My T.V. Remote is pretty Cool...T-Aldous
How are doing that? Do you have a Blue-tooth remote? OT, I found out that it is really good for streaming my NFL games through the browser from the internet.

The only time I've seen this work is when the person had a Sony TV.

davidkamayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 davidkamayor
Member since 2008 • 1642 Posts

Well I thought Having the Option to Turn On and Off my PS3 with My T.V. Remote is pretty Cool...Coolboy420x

enable HDMI control then your ps3 can turn on the tv

MazehcS0ul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MazehcS0ul
Member since 2009 • 1773 Posts

You can watch a lot of pron on it. Yea I know this.

gugler990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 gugler990
Member since 2010 • 2009 Posts

Its a Megatron!!! :shock:

Coolboy420x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Coolboy420x

[QUOTE="Cell2u"] Only two things are required for #3. First you need to have setup a media server (duh), second your PS3needs to be on the same network as the PC you're trying to stream from. Setting upa media server can be as simple as opening Windows Media Player on a standard PC, going into the media sharing options and turning it on for your PS3.

The PS3 is loaded with a bunch of features that are versatile and pretty easy to use. I think you're wrong saying it's loaded with junk that only works under perfect conditions. Every feature my PS3 has works with just minor configuration (as per the on screen instructions)

[QUOTE="T-Aldous"][QUOTE="Coolboy420x"]Well I thought Having the Option to Turn On and Off my PS3 with My T.V. Remote is pretty Cool...Chickan_117

The only time I've seen this work is when the person had a Sony TV.

For me this works on my Panny T.V. - Just need it to be connected to HDMI cable and have the HDMI option turned on under settings.
Nitrouz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Nitrouz
Member since 2007 • 423 Posts

It kept me warm in the winter time. :P

On serious note, I really didn't know it was capable of being so fun to play. I went from sometimes playing it, to playing it every chance I get

Avatar image for deactivated-5a22550b94008
deactivated-5a22550b94008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5a22550b94008
Member since 2009 • 426 Posts

It also plays games.

Avatar image for bobbleheadrogue
bobbleheadrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38 bobbleheadrogue
Member since 2009 • 2203 Posts
[QUOTE="MistressZero"]

[QUOTE="SadPSPAddict"]

[QUOTE="UTIxxx50"]

Me, three!! It's one of the main reasons I keep playing a game long after it's lost its thrill!!

me four! Makes the game just thatttt much replayable :D
angelo3903

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 angelo3903
Member since 2009 • 206 Posts

1- The most useful feature to me is game sharing. I do this with my family (Don't do this with strangers, it's dangerous since you have to give them your password)

2-I also use the browser quite regularly. it has improved a lot and nothing beats watching youtube or a website like it on a big screen. only one thing: WE NEED FLASH PLAYER 10 SONY, NOW! (for youtube hd and stuff like that)

3-You can also listen to music while browsing.

4-probably most of you know this right know, but you can force the ps3 to detect data on your thumb drives and external hard drives by pressing triangle and then display all.

Jonas008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Jonas008
Member since 2006 • 428 Posts

[QUOTE="Coolboy420x"]Well I thought Having the Option to Turn On and Off my PS3 with My T.V. Remote is pretty Cool...davidkamayor

how can i do that??
Coolboy420x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Coolboy420x
[QUOTE="davidkamayor"]

[QUOTE="Coolboy420x"]Well I thought Having the Option to Turn On and Off my PS3 with My T.V. Remote is pretty Cool...Jonas008

how can i do that??

Its under settings... Remote Settings I believe... then look for HDMI. Hope that helpssss
Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

Hello fellow Gamespot ppl.

This will just be a random round up of things I know, your PS3 can do. So read along and feel free to add on to the discussion, there are things you know i won't lol.

4. Copy save files to other user account on your PS3. As stated straight forward, go to saved data utility, and copy your save.

5. Your GH and RB peripherals are compatible with, PS2 instruments, including mics, guitars and drums, all from singstar, gh and the works. As long as it's USB 2.0 connected, it actually will work, so don't hesitate to buy that 98 cent naked brothers band ps2 bundle from your local Gamestop when you are searching for a quality mic, it is actually perfect.

6. You can manipulate the movement of the Music Player on certain visual styles... using your right stick.

So guys I realised this is a half baked thread, however, I promise you I just layed out the foundation and will keep it up to date and interesting, and I hope you will all help me keep it this way. Thanks for the support. Clean out till night fall.

EDIT: Your PS3 only does everything, so keep searching ;)

CleanNJerk

Nice 10 things only Youtube XL isn't a PS3 version of Youtube. Youtube XL is a Large Screen version of Youtube for appliances viewing it on a large screen (this is all taken from Wikipedia). It's not designed only for PS3, hence the Youtube XL, XL meaning Extra Large.

Agent-Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Agent-Zero
Member since 2009 • 6198 Posts

Good list though, many of those are well known except iPod compatibility, that is cool.

CleanNJerk

I plug mine in and it just charges...

KyBoOtEr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 KyBoOtEr
Member since 2006 • 314 Posts

want ur parents to shell out for a HD camcorder? or got one urself but find it chews up ur old Intel P4 when u try and save files there? plug ur AVCHD camcorder (flash or HDD) into ur ps3 and copy ur footage to there for storage. even better if u upgrade ur HDD on the ps3! high def storage and playback!

kungfool69

This

I use my PS3 for this all the time, videos look great