Thinking of getting Oblivion

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

I'm really enjoying Skyrim post 1.4 and am thinking about picking up Oblivion. How does it compare to Skyrim vs. fun factor / things to do / quests etc.

Avatar image for Dragonspear2462
Dragonspear2462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Dragonspear2462
Member since 2007 • 384 Posts

Only complaint I have is that the Oblivion Gates in Oblivion were sort of boring to me because you had to do the same thing everytime... (That's just my opinion of course). And..since you just played Skyrim, you MAY find the graphics/character models a bit too old.
Else, GREAT GAME =P

NaviJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NaviJ
Member since 2012 • 137 Posts

I haven't played skyrim so I don't know how slow and stuff the game is but I was new to the elder scrolls series and I picked up oblivion. When I started playing it was alright but it was sooo slow getting into it, I don't know if you just have to go through that one slow part to get to the good parts but seriously it was really boring for me at the start.

Gaming4You1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Gaming4You1990
Member since 2012 • 150 Posts
I consider Oblivion to be a nice game, it's more hard than Skyrim is for sure, but here's the funny thing about that. In Oblivion, you need to be a mage because Magic is the better advantage that combat, and you can literally rush through the game just invisible and beat it but of course that's no fun. In Skyrim, you should be a warrior because it seems magic is more of a downgrade than what it was with the previous, so if you're trying to be a mage in Skyrim, you're going to have a tough time. I personally like Skyrim more, and it has a better world, and the story is cooler.... Fighting a Dragon compared to closing an oblivion gate getting owned by Demora's along the way. I'd say pick up Oblivion tho, but as for Morrowind which is part 3 of the Elder Scrolls Series, I thought it wasn't good, but that's just my opinion.
Gaming4You1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Gaming4You1990
Member since 2012 • 150 Posts
Dremora*
HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 HipHopBeats

So Oblivion gates are equivalent to Skyrim dragons? This comparison vid made me curious.

http://youtu.be/KgXiP0KkL1U

xGamePlayerx19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 xGamePlayerx19
Member since 2008 • 379 Posts

So Oblivion gates are equivalent to Skyrim dragons? This comparison vid made me curious.

http://youtu.be/KgXiP0KkL1U

HipHopBeats

no not at all, the oblivion gates were bland and boring; basically 20 things exactly the same, where with the dragons each experience is different and fun and excited, but thats just my opinion.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#8 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
Skyrim is in every way superior to Oblivion, and I'll say wait for Skyrim DLC.
blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

Oblivion is still a fun game. It's nice to play it since the map is a contrast to the snowy landscapes of Skyrim (Oblivion is more vibrant and has a wider array of colors).

The gameplay is still enjoyable, and the leveling is rather different since you basically have to start as one sort of character with designated skills that you should be better in. Basically, it's not as open as in Skyrim, but I know playing Skyrim I only use a select few traits that I level up extensively, so if you play it like that then Oblivion shouldn't be a problem in that regard.

Oblivion gates can get kind of boring, but you can power run through them if you just focus on them for the main story.

It's definitely a very good game, and if you get it I suggest the game of the year edition since it comes with the Shivering Isles DLC (idk, maybe the anniversary edition has the DLC as well, either way, it's worth to get a version with the DLC on the disc).

jordonj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jordonj
Member since 2010 • 1069 Posts
I liked Oblivion, I still have yet to crack my copy of Skyrim. Since the GOTY version of Oblivion can be had dirt cheap, I would recommend it.
Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts
Skyrim is definitely improvement over Oblivion in every way but that being said, Oblivion is still great game similar to Skyrim. Many hours of exploring, side missions. Pick up GOTY Edition. Have fun. :)
23Jarek23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 23Jarek23
Member since 2009 • 2647 Posts

I agree with others that the main story was horrible in Oblivion, very boring...but there just so much more to do that it can still keep you busy for 100+ hours. Worth it in my opinion.

FriendlyFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FriendlyFalcon
Member since 2011 • 191 Posts

the graphics have aged too much for me but some of the gameplay things were better. you could increase running speed, horses were better, you could create your own spells, you could make potions on the go, you could increase jump height, and some other stuff like using magic with both hands occupied at the same time.

ill add a personal oppinion, the whole world of cyrodiil was just more relaxing on average and the towns felt like safe little places full of happy people.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 HipHopBeats

the graphics have aged too much for me but some of the gameplay things were better. you could increase running speed, horses were better, you could create your own spells, you could make potions on the go, you could increase jump height, and some other stuff like using magic with both hands occupied at the same time.

ill add a personal oppinion, the whole world of cyrodiil was just more relaxing on average and the towns felt like safe little places full of happy people.

FriendlyFalcon

Why the hell did Bethesda get rid off options like that? Grinding wouldn't seem like a chore with even half of those options. Speaking of happy places, I finally made it to Winterhold and after all the talk of this being the place to be for magic, I was surprised how run down and f***ed up everything was with a population of maybe 8 people with abandoned houses and a few college students. Even Markarth was a depressing visit.

Also how is the leveling system in Oblivion? I've read a few reviews claiming it to be easier not to level up at all and stay on level 1.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
go and buy oblivion its truly experience
23Jarek23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 23Jarek23
Member since 2009 • 2647 Posts

[QUOTE="FriendlyFalcon"]

HipHopBeats

Why the hell did Bethesda get rid off options like that? Grinding wouldn't seem like a chore with even half of those options. Speaking of happy places, I finally made it to Winterhold and after all the talk of this being the place to be for magic, I was surprised how run down and f***ed up everything was with a population of maybe 8 people with abandoned houses and a few college students. Even Markarth was a depressing visit.

Also how is the leveling system in Oblivion? I've read a few reviews claiming it to be easier not to level up at all and stay on level 1.

If you want the game to remain easy and boring then yes, don't level up. In Oblivion as I'm sure you've read, the enemies level up with you so it does get significantly harder as you progress if you choose to level up...But, there's always the option to lower the difficulty level in the menu screen, so there's no need to not level up because not only will you miss out on your characters progression, but if certain aspects are too hard for you, just tone down the difficulty.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Skyrim is better so don't put your expectations to high when you try Oblivion..

brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#18 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

Oblivion is better in some ways than Skyrim. Where Skyrim excells over Oblivion is presentation. But that in no way means Oblivion isn't fun, and there's a massive amount of stuff to do.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 HipHopBeats

If you want the game to remain easy and boring then yes, don't level up. In Oblivion as I'm sure you've read, the enemies level up with you so it does get significantly harder as you progress if you choose to level up...But, there's always the option to lower the difficulty level in the menu screen, so there's no need to not level up because not only will you miss out on your characters progression, but if certain aspects are too hard for you, just tone down the difficulty.

23Jarek23

If you change the difficulty midway through, are you still able to achieve everything? I'm always up for a good challenge, but don't want a faulty leveling system to take away from the experience.

DevilishFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DevilishFalcon
Member since 2012 • 121 Posts
I still dont know why Skyrim was the GOTY
_Judas_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 _Judas_
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts
@DevilishFalcon I agree... Skyrim is good, but not best... The Elder Scrolls-games are getting less and less rpg'ish, and more and more action oriented. The combat is lackluster, I would say. Oblivion can be a very ok game, but I guess it would be soty of a let-down after playing Skyrim. I has slightly more of an rpg-feel (this is my opinion), but I really wish Morrowind would be released for PSN. If you're looking for a good RPG experience, than this (Morrowind) is your game.
DevilishFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DevilishFalcon
@_Judas_ dude I am not much of a RPG guy, I like FPS amd sports. I have played only one FPS game in my life ie Mass effect 2 and i didnt like it much. I think this year GOTY was deserved by Portal 2 and not by Skyrim. Dont you agree?
good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

After playing skyrim, oblivion will probably look archaic, but its an amazing game with plenty to do and fun questlines to complete. I loved that game.

_Judas_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 _Judas_
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts

@DevilishFalcon hmm, then I am not so sure if you would enjoy Oblivion. It is a good game, yes, the action is more action-oriented than rpg-oriented. IF you decide to get it, get a used version or a cheap GOTY Edition. Actually, I'm afraid I haven't played Portal 2, BUT I would very much like to play it. I thought, personally, that Dark Souls should be the GOTY. This is my opinion. Maybe I should test Portal 2 - I guess you highly recommend it? :) But, yes, I do agree that Skyrim shouldn't be GOTY.

DevilishFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DevilishFalcon

@DevilishFalcon hmm, then I am not so sure if you would enjoy Oblivion. It is a good game, yes, the action is more action-oriented than rpg-oriented. IF you decide to get it, get a used version or a cheap GOTY Edition. Actually, I'm afraid I haven't played Portal 2, BUT I would very much like to play it. I thought, personally, that Dark Souls should be the GOTY. This is my opinion. Maybe I should test Portal 2 - I guess you highly recommend it? :) But, yes, I do agree that Skyrim shouldn't be GOTY.

_Judas_
Dude you should try Portal 2. It's an amazing game with really nice graphics and a great gameplay. Checkout the review on Gamespot or on IGN
soapman72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 soapman72
Member since 2010 • 2714 Posts

Most people that I know that played Skyrim first then bought oblivion hated oblivion...I love the entire series

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 HipHopBeats

After playing skyrim, oblivion will probably look archaic, but its an amazing game with plenty to do and fun questlines to complete. I loved that game.

good_sk8er7

That's what I thought about Morrowind. Playthroughs I saw makes it look damn near retro graphic wise. But the quality of gameplay trumps graphics imo.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Oblivion is great. Longer quest lines than skyrim too. Dark brotherhood and thieves guild are really fun in oblivion.

Avatar image for XXXCrazyDawgXXX
XXXCrazyDawgXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 XXXCrazyDawgXXX
Member since 2012 • 46 Posts

You'd be better off sticking with Skyrim. The NPC'S in Oblivion make you feel like you're talking to a friggin robot. Skyrim is awesome, but Oblivion I played for about 5 minutes and sold it.