Think getting a PSP Go is a good Idea?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Yojimbo25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 0

#1 Yojimbo25
Member since 2005 • 535 Posts

I'm looking to update essentially. My 1001 PSP is getting really worn out and I think its time to retire it. I like the overall appearance of the GO, and the built in memory. I do plan on keep on my old 1001 model PSP, but I want some feedback as to whether it would be worth getting a PSP GO.

Resistance_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#2 Resistance_Kid
Member since 2009 • 1171 Posts

Let me give you a brief comparison of the 3000 and the GO

3000:

Built in Mic

Change of button design

Better Screen

and other minor hardware improvements

GO:

Bluetooth

Portability

Digital Only

Considering that you have the 1001, buying a 3000 is not a major upgrade if your phat is in good condition, the GO is a complete change of style.

So if you want portability and bluetooth, go for the GO. If you want the original with improvements, go for the 3000.

RAGINGxPONY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 RAGINGxPONY
Member since 2009 • 1452 Posts

If you liked to be ripped off, go for it.

If not than don't. Not only is it80 dollars more than the PSP 3000 the games also cost more. For instance Final Fantasy Dissdia is 39.99 on PSN, yet I have seen it for 17.99 in some sores around me.

blacknight06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 blacknight06
Member since 2006 • 1422 Posts

OMG not another one! :x

Just search PSP Go 3000. I so happily tagged all these threads that have PSP Go pros and cons..

ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 ston3henge
Member since 2007 • 2732 Posts

NONE of the old games I have on UMD have been set up on the PSN. I would have been well and truly screwed if i had gotten a Go. That's me personally. You do what's good for you, but I would be missing some real favorites if I had bought one believing in the promise. Smaller screen? None of the games I enjoy from my collection? Keep the thing.

damann22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 damann22
Member since 2004 • 7655 Posts

I'm looking to update essentially. My 1001 PSP is getting really worn out and I think its time to retire it. I like the overall appearance of the GO, and the built in memory. I do plan on keep on my old 1001 model PSP, but I want some feedback as to whether it would be worth getting a PSP GO.

Yojimbo25

I just posted that someone shouldnt get the go and the 3000 instead. I look at each case with unbiasness (sp?) and take every case as in of itself. I would suggest that you get the GO, because if you want to play something on umd then like you said you can just use your 1001 psp. Thats exactly what i do also. I have a 1000 and go back to it to play lumines but thats about it.

One thing you need to take to heart is that analysis are saying that the go will come down in price sometime in the spring. Also there may be an announcement of the 4000 or psp2 at E3. So it may not be the best time to upgrade unless you really want something now.

ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ston3henge

Oh... I was wrong about them not offering ANY of my old games... I just love this...

They DO offer "REEL FISHING: The Great Outdoors"!!!

So you can get that game for Go. Which is awesome.

Marc1k1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Marc1k1
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Lol wow, A fishing game. I'd suggest getting a 3000. (I'd write more but, sadly I write smegging novels when I put my own suggestion in)
ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ston3henge

Lol wow, A fishing game. I'd suggest getting a 3000. (I'd write more but, sadly I write smegging novels when I put my own suggestion in)Marc1k1

Don't knock it until you try it. It's a fun game. And welcome to the boards, new meat.

XExodussX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 XExodussX
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

The psp go is good if you don't have many umd's. If you have like 6+ umd's I would just suggest a 3000. I have the psp go and I only bought it because I don't have any umd's because it is my first psp system in a year. If you want a more portable gaming system than the psp go is most likely the better option.

barny0111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 barny0111
Member since 2007 • 255 Posts

I own the 3000 and the backlog of UMD games that can be purchased cheap these days is too great to pass up. Its a pity PSN doesn't have more games. I really like the idea of the GO. Its a good system. Ah well.

IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 IvanElk
Member since 2008 • 3798 Posts

NONE of the old games I have on UMD have been set up on the PSN. I would have been well and truly screwed if i had gotten a Go. That's me personally. You do what's good for you, but I would be missing some real favorites if I had bought one believing in the promise. Smaller screen? None of the games I enjoy from my collection? Keep the thing.

ston3henge
Sorry your the biggest hypocrite I have ever seen. If you remember me you will know why I said that. Anywho. Keep your 1000 as going to go you lose major value by losing all your umds and not even being able to download the classics. And hey if you want digital content, get a big ol' memory stick and download away.
dovberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#13 dovberg
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

I would suggest you look at what titles you want and what is offered on PSN,I playedonly PSone games on my 3000 and had no umds, so to me it made sense, I do have PSP games on my GO! as well, honestly I think how portable it is and how much memory it has it can even replace an MP3 player,I carry mine everywhere instead of my ipod. Also it is actually a little uncomfortable and they side are a little sharp and dig into my hands,don't get me wrong I love it,not having to carry around all those UMDs(which are actually pretty big compared to the competition). I also like that you don't have to hunt for games,I have been looking for a long time for mgs portable ops(not plus) and it is now on PSN. There was a flood of good games added to PSN last year and hopefully it continues but it doesn't seem that way. I'm still hopinh they bring phantasy star portable and mega man powered up to psn because I got rid of my 3000. Keep the fat one.

Josh5890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Josh5890
Member since 2007 • 1025 Posts

Sure go for the Go. That is if you don't mind being limited as far as what PSP games you can play.

kikitube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kikitube
Member since 2009 • 576 Posts

Nope.

JNKtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 JNKtastic
Member since 2010 • 183 Posts

I, like a lot of other people, think that it really depends on what your own personal preferences are.

I got my 3000 as part of the Dissidia bundle and before I did that, I comparison shopped between the different models of PSPs out available including ones that aren't being sold anymore except second hand (the old models) and the Go.

The reason I chose the 3000 over the Go is because of these reasons:

>>>>>

- I don't like downloading everything.

Other people might, but I don't. I like having my physical games/cartridges/discs. Maybe I'm just weird in this way or just paranoid that something might go wrong in the download process or that I won't be able to transfer my downloads to another unit later on, etc. Either way, I don't like the idea of downloading large game files that are larger than the game files that are the PSOne releases on the PSN.

- I have a history of bad experiences with slider types of devices.

Other people might not and might love slider types, but I don't. I had a camera that turned on via the slider cover and I accidentally bumped it against a wall and the sliding function broke. I also had a slider phone and the slider part became loose and so my phone operated strangely ever since.

- I like bigger devices.

A lot of people like small because it means it's more portable. Personally, the smaller something is (iPod shuffle clip on freaked me out when I saw it because I was sure it would get lost in a matter of days or squashed or tossed in the laundry by accident because of it's tiny size) the more concern I have with it being 'too delicate'. Combined with the sliding function, I was definitely concerned about the Go's durability.

- I like replaceable batteries.

Batteries will die eventually. Usually for all of my electronics, the batteries give out before the actual unit does, which means I end up replacing the battery which gives me a longer unit life until the unit itself finally craps out.

You can't replace the battery on the Go and I anticipated that my PSP would last me longer than a battery would and therefore hated the idea of having to get a new PSP unit because the battery eventually died on me before the unit was ready to go.

Also, the anti-piracy reasons behind the non-replaceable battery made me grumpy. I'm all for anti-piracy, BUT I DO want the ability to replace my old battery with a legitimate non-hacking fresh one, thank you!

- I like the shape of the 3000 better.

Some people have said that the controls are situated in a somewhat awkward way, but I found nothing awkward about it at all - with or without using a case. I use a Logitech case for my PSP and it gives me the perfect shape and size to play my PSP while keeping my PSP tucked away.

The Go is smaller, which is great for some people, but not for me. My hands felt a bit too cramped together.

- I like being able to control how much 'space' my PSP has and have little to no use for onboard storage.

I'm one of those guys who custom-builds his own computers so I like being able to control how much memory/storage space I have on my PSP unit via Memory Sticks. I'm not the sort who would take advantage over greater onboard locked-in memory space (which the Go has as a feature) simply because I don't necessarily trust the unit to not go funky with the onboard storage. Unit goes funky, storage goes funky. Storage goes funky, unit goes funky. I guess I just like the customizability aspect related to that in being able to separate everything out and do potential damage and inventory control that way.

ALSO...

- I like being able to use my pre-existing Memory Sticks!

I already own MS Pro Duos because I already owned Sony products that used such items. Not having to buy new more Sony-only proprietary media storage was certainly a plus.

In addition to that...

- I like using Memory Sticks to order my PSP-related content.

This is related to the earlier point about me not having too much use for onboard storage.

I'm one of those people who has a pretty huge music collection, video collection, and I intend to get a bunch of PSOne games from the PSN (already got three!) in addition to my UMD games.

Being able to part everything out into different Memory Sticks is both helpful and helps keep potential problems from being situated all in one place as it offers me damage control and inventory control.

Granted, you can do the same for the PSP Go, but the 16 Gigs of main onboard memory is one of the reasons for the heftier price tag and it's to help DECREASE the need to part everything out into sticks.

For me, it's kind of backwards to go with something that is more expensive and offers more onboard storage that I will never have much use for because I will part everything out into sticks anyways.

>>>>>

Despite all these points, I DID and still DO like the concept of the Go. (Amazing considering everything I just said!)

Here are the pros (some of which were also my cons):

>>>>>

- It's smaller and more portable

Great for being on the go, literally, and takes up less room!

- It has a larger onboard memory/storage capacity which means fewer Memory Sticks

Memory Sticks aren't the cheapest media storage options available. The fewer one has to buy the better.

- It doesn't need UMDs which means fewer odds and ends to contend with and fewer cases for loose UMDs

>>>>>

Avatar image for wholedamshow_11
wholedamshow_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wholedamshow_11
Member since 2003 • 470 Posts

Oh... I was wrong about them not offering ANY of my old games... I just love this...

They DO offer "REEL FISHING: The Great Outdoors"!!!

So you can get that game for Go. Which is awesome.

ston3henge
[QUOTE="Marc1k1"]Lol wow, A fishing game. I'd suggest getting a 3000. (I'd write more but, sadly I write smegging novels when I put my own suggestion in)

Get used to it, he loves that game. :P lol
Avatar image for wholedamshow_11
wholedamshow_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 wholedamshow_11
Member since 2003 • 470 Posts

I've never owned a psp before the Go.

I have a Go now and I am a tad frustrated that I cannot get alot of games for it, and that mine are a bit mrope expensive. But the main reason I got it was to play Final Fantasy while i'm out or on the move.

so the space helped for me, I remain hopeful for more and more titles to be released to the psn. I love carrying only the psp around.

It's nice to have around 8 games and don't need to switch UMDS.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#19 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

Yojimbo25
get a 3000...that way you can use the games of your 1001...on a go, its just digital downloadable games
ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ston3henge

Well-put, JNK!!!

I think there is no more elloquent breakdown of all the myriad reasons why I eventually decided not to "upgrade" to the Go... the biggest reason of course being that I have a rather extensive library of UMD (like, 12... which is extensive for ME) and despite what some might say about me, I'm hardly a hypocrite for said change of heart prior to the hardware's release. I've held the same opinions about the Go since Sony announced that there would be no way to transfer old titles to the new platform. Now, as I cruise PSN, I'm glad I didn't buy one because they don't offer "NASCAR (2006)" from EA Sports which, unlike Madden or Tiger hasn't gotten a yearly update with the new one on the way, I don't see "Ace Combat X" up there... there just seem to be a lot of omissions both large and small when it comes to the games I like to play on the system. So Ivan, I don't see where you can call me a hypocrite, I haven't changed my colors one bit and by the way, whatever axe you have to grind with me I wish you would get over it because I don't feel any sort of animosity towards you at all... I have enjoyed reading your responses to posts on the forum and generally have respect for what you say.

Peace.

Yojimbo25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#21 Yojimbo25
Member since 2005 • 535 Posts

Essentially I only own just one UMD for my 1001. Silent Hill Origins.

So I won't be SOL when it comes to losing a ton of UMDs..

JNKtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JNKtastic

Do YOU think the price point difference is worth it for you for the Go, the issue of UMDs aside? :)

Here are some questions I would ask myself:

>>>>>

Do you absolutely hate carrying around game cartridges and/or Memory Sticks? (Go still uses Memory Sticks, just a different sort from the older series)

Do you mind buying a different sort of Memory Stick? (Go uses a different Memory Stick compared to your 100X)

Do you mind the fact that the Go's battery is non-replaceable? (The Go's battery cannot be replaced unlike the older models)

Do you foresee yourself putting the Bluetooth functionality to good use?

Do you like the slider functionality of the Go?

How do you feel about the different shape and size of the Go as opposed to the older models? (If you can or haven't already, visit a game store or someplace that will allow you to hold a Go and see if you like the feel of it)

Do you like the idea of the onboard 16 GB of storage? (Sort of related to question one and two)

What are the main uses of the PSP for you? (For myself, it's portable gaming, music, movies, videos, and the occasional Skype)

Do you mind downloading everything and having no 'hard copy' of your games and/or movies? (I like my cartridges, maybe you don't)

>>>>>

Maybe other people can chime in with other questions that might be useful in helping you make a well-informed decision that's the best for you and your situation. :)

swatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 swatforce
Member since 2004 • 47 Posts

well actually there are games that a cheaper on psn then at teh stores i have a psp go n bot my gt chinatown wars for 29.99 plus tax where it cost 39.99 at the stores.

swatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 swatforce
Member since 2004 • 47 Posts

wrong! , jus take take ur psp go back to the retailer OR get them to order you the battery, there IS a battery at the back u jus unscrew the plates on the back.

JNKtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JNKtastic

wrong! , jus take take ur psp go back to the retailer OR get them to order you the battery, there IS a battery at the back u jus unscrew the plates on the back.

swatforce
Thanks for the correction. I was told numerous times (including by a local games retailer) that the Go's battery was non-user-replaceable and when I took a look, it seemed that way, too. Can you actually buy the battery yourself and replace it or do you have to go to a retailer and have it custom-installed for you?
takspeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26 takspeed
Member since 2010 • 257 Posts
i would recommend buying a PSP 3000- bigger screen, cheaper price (for both games and system) PSP go is not worth it....
Emandudeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 Emandudeguy
Member since 2008 • 261 Posts

NO

Sulapukan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Sulapukan
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
The first thing that turned me off from PSP Go is that I can't buy a cheaper game and even sell it back if I need to. With my PSP-3000, I just go to eBay or Craigslist to buy my games that's not exclusive to PSN store. And I can download games too.
143C5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 143C5
Member since 2009 • 306 Posts
I think not....
Pixelatorian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Pixelatorian
Member since 2010 • 181 Posts

If I WERE you, I will go with PSP 2000!!!

dovberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#31 dovberg
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

Using psnexclusively has strengths and weeknesses, I have had both systems and love them both but I have only kept my go.

The Go has 16gb built in, and can add 16 more,it could replace an mp3 player, especially because of how small it is, it also eliminatesa lot of theneed to juggle what you have downloaded. It has blue tooth that can potentially give you internet everywhere you go. There are no physical games to carry around, so you don't have to worry about carrying any of those umds around or trying to choose one that you will be stuck with.

The 3000 has the ability to use umds, they can be found far cheaper than the digital content, and even traded in. There are games that can only be found in UMD format. It hasa larger screen. It is more comfortable to use, I might even go so far as to say it has the best control of all the PSPs. Generally the system is cheaper.

The Go will leave people who enjoyed one game or another out in the cold because PSN is very slow in updating their library, leaving alot of PSP games out and more expensive. The screen is smaller and seems more prone to scratches. The design leaves fairly sharp edges on the side that can cause some discomfort or even marks when playing for awhile. The price was initially higher than the 3000 or any other psp, but now it can be found sometimes cheaper than the 3000 due to the initial unpopularity. The trade in price is also no where near descent at gamestop.

The 3000 will usually be sold with some amount of memory if bought with a package,it varies but it's usually 2gbalong with a bad game and a bad movie. This will leave many people having to go buy more memory sticks or not have much content from the psn store, which is very painful to many of us PSone fans. When it comes to UMDs it is good to have the option but in practice it makes the PSPnot so portable especially after the already not so small design of the 3000. The lack of bluetooth for many makes no difference, but if you carry a smart phone it could be sorely missed. Most people I know who carry a psp, that is not a go, have it in a back pack or brief case. I almost always carry my Go and often forget that it is even on me.

My final take is that it depends on what games you like. I like the PSone games and actually have very few PSP games, I had a very painful experience before I bought my Go. I also miss some PSP games that haven't come to PSN yet. I don't bother carrying my ipod anymore either, it has been replaced by my Go, entirely. At the end of the day I'd just say the PSP 3000 is a more comfortable version of the original, while the Go is a drastic overhaul with flaws.

eejus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 eejus
Member since 2006 • 243 Posts

[QUOTE="swatforce"]

JNKtastic

Thanks for the correction. I was told numerous times (including by a local games retailer) that the Go's battery was non-user-replaceable and when I took a look, it seemed that way, too. Can you actually buy the battery yourself and replace it or do you have to go to a retailer and have it custom-installed for you?

I checked the owner's manual for my Go and it does show you how to remove the battery not in very good detail but does say what screws need to be removed and where the battery is....and not to hurt your fingers or nails while removing it (damn lawyers). This is in the "Disposing of the PSP system" section, there is no replace the battery section. With that said Sony's warrenty only lasts one year and I would hope the battery lasts longer than that, being that the battery is removable by the user then I'm sure there will be at least 3rd party made batteries down the road that can be bought to replace the original with.

taouin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33 taouin
Member since 2004 • 91 Posts

I have go and I love it, but in your case you probably have a lot of umd games so go for the 3000.

fbidog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34 fbidog
Member since 2005 • 413 Posts

Crisis core: Final fantasy 7 is not even on the market...(not where I live)...So no cause you cannot play all game :?

Or wait for PSP 2 should be out soon

tulipkiya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 tulipkiya
Member since 2010 • 114 Posts
Search PSP 3000 Bro...and you will get to know.....about your next move.....:)
Tezerel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Tezerel
Member since 2010 • 245 Posts

Get a Dsi haha. You don't needa new psp unless yours doesnt play MHF anymore haha. And if you get a DSi you can play tons of good games like....Petz and... haha jk i have both, and even though the DSi has a lot of crap games, so does the PSP (way too many JRPG's). I personally would rather have disks, unless it were a game i coudnt get otherwise on the psp, like if you were uber craving ps1 games

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts
I suggest spending money on a PS3 or Xbox first, being that they aren't much more expensive than a PSP Go.
DSgurl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#39 DSgurl
Member since 2005 • 909 Posts

since you have UMD's perhaps the 3000 is better. however, I have the Go and am really liking. Just think about what will be more practical for you in the long runl

riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#40 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

no, get 2000 or 3000 instead