THE Virtua Fighter 5 Thread

• 169 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20983 Posts
It's depressing how under-the-radar this game is when it's a likely contender for Fighting Game of the Year, PS3 Game of the Year, and possibly even Game of the Year. It's not even on GameSpot's top 10 (traffic) PS3 titles as I type this. Thus, I figured a thread was in order.

I figured I was the guy to do it, even though I'm new to the PS3 board. I'll introduce myself now. I'm Patrick Mifflin, better known as DarkCatalyst in fighting game circles (and the GS forums). I was a moderator here off and on from February 2000 to July 2006, have been in game journalism with GameAddicts Network and now Amped News also off and on since February 2000. My credentials in the fighting genre include being Utah's only sanctioned tournament director in APEX league history, as well as winning an APEX league Tekken 5 divisional title (Pacific North) as the top-ranked player in the division as of Evolution 2005. I have been into competitive fighting games from the start (the Street Fighter II heyday), and renewed my involvement in the competitive scene back in 2001 after a six-year layoff, around the time Justin Wong started dominating.

Just wanted to get that out so you all understand I'm not just some know-nothing fan coming in to spread wishful thinking. I'm right there in it.

I'll start the thread off with a FAQ to get all the basic info out.

First things first - is there online play?
There is, in fact, no online play in Virtua Fighter 5, whether you're referring to this upcoming PS3 version or its sibling on the 360 this Summer.

Why not?
The fact that it's offline for the 360 as well as the PS3 takes away the "Sega didn't want to maintain their own servers" argument. Despite that, there is still a very good reason. Virtua Fighter is the tightest fighting game on the market, frame by frame. Even more so than Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike. In order to be enjoyed, this game must have latency that is faster than the framerate, meaning the ping would have to be less than 1/60 seconds. Any slower than that, and the game would not only be pointless for serious players, but frustrating and clunky for casual players. One argument I hear a lot is that next gen systems should be able to put all fighting games online without a problem, but system hardware can only do so much. A next-generation of consoles will not fix things; it will take a next-generation of Internet connections before something like online VF becomes possible.

Okay, that makes sense...what about other online features? Stat tracking? Ghost databases...?
Unfortunately, there is actually no online functionality whatsoever in Virtua Fighter 5 - again, regardless of what version you speak of. This is the real bitter pill to swallow, because VF.TV has such great application in Japanese arcades (live broadcasts of marquee matchups from around the country being the most noteworthy) that it could be moved to console online services very well. It would have been nice to have a Sega-provided match video vault and ghost database, and it would also make things very convenient for player data.

So there's no online play and no online functionality at all? What's the upside?
The upside is, Virtua Fighter is and has always been the gold standard of technical excellence in the 3D fighting genre. While there are other fighters that offer rewarding experiences and really make you earn your skills, Virtua Fighter takes it to a level that nothing else touches. It's an established institution in Japan, with arcades constantly packed, tournaments getting major coverage, and even dojos in place that will teach you the game...for a price. You don't get that kind of popularity and respect by being half-ass.

That's all well and good, but won't the game have a limited lifespan without online?
Virtua Fighter is what you make of it. It's best with a friend, or especially several friends if possible, provided they know what they're doing, but Sega has gone to great lengths to give isolated Virtua Fighters a chance to get a taste of the real experience, even if we're stuck in the competitive VF wasteland that is North America. First and foremost, Virtua Fighter 5 will feature a quest mode packed with player ghost data from many of Japan's top players. Though not quite a substitute for live competition, it'll certainly teach you a few things about Virtua Fighter. Another thing that will teach you how to play will be the game's tutorials which, if VF4 Evolution is any indication, will teach you everything you can possibly learn without experience, getting you on the right track fast. These issues have been taken into account long ago, so you can join in with confidence.

How is the high-definition support looking?
Though we've seen Japanese boxes mention 1080p, word on the street is that the game will go no higher than 720p. It will still look great, rest assured.

What about hardware? I know Virtua Fighter is as serious as games get...I take it I will need a stick?
You will. Thankfully, the PlayStation 3 has no shortage of high-quality sticks despite being a very young console. Since all three that are out right now - the Hori Real Arcade Pro 3, Hori Fighting Stick 3, and Virtua Stick High Grade - are Japanese only, you'll have to get them through an importer like Play-Asia or NCS. You'll want one though, with both this and Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection on the way. Rest assured it is a good investment, as you can only get so good on a gamepad, even a good fighting pad like the SIXAXIS.

There you go. I hope that helps. Now, I don't want to see this thread limited to topics covered in the FAQ, I'm hoping to see it grow into a good all-around general knowledge VF5 thread loaded with centralized, organized information for those who have yet to read up on this amazing game-to-be.

Enjoy.
Brendruis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Brendruis
Member since 2002 • 1016 Posts
Great thread.

I'm a PS3 owner and a huge fighting game fan.  The Japanese release of Tekken 5 DR was enough to make me go out of my way to get it before the US release. 

Virtua Fighter 5 is my number one purchase once it is released in the US on February 20th
Avatar image for volumetricCloud
volumetricCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 volumetricCloud
Member since 2007 • 158 Posts
Excellent Thread. Nice to see coming from a 360 owner.
Doomshine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Doomshine
Member since 2004 • 908 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that those excellent tutorials from VF4 are gone, as well as the option to view the moves being performed, is that true?
coreyb42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 coreyb42
Member since 2005 • 385 Posts
So, to sum up, it's tight, serious, doesn't have online play, and needs a stick. Why so many words for so few points?
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DarkCatalyst
I remember reading somewhere that those excellent tutorials from VF4 are gone, as well as the option to view the moves being performed, is that true?Doomshine
I could only answer that if I had some hands-on time with it myself. The only people who can answer that question are those who have the leaked North American copies. I haven't heard one way or another, but if it's missing, you wouldn't know it from all the positivity of the people I've been hearing.
So, to sum up, it's tight, serious, doesn't have online play, and needs a stick. Why so many words for so few points?coreyb42
It's also going to be one of the best 3D fighters of all time, if not the absolute best. There's just a lot of crap surrounding this game as far as GGD discussion goes...lots of points that people want to debate, that don't need to be debated...I wanted my post to really counter all of the arguments before they're even posted.
Krigon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Krigon
Member since 2005 • 5591 Posts
Great! Thread :) thanks dude. This game is a must have for those that love 3D fighting games.
joe_fuu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 joe_fuu
Member since 2003 • 122 Posts

I purchased Virtua Fighter 4 for PS2 years ago (for 20$) and I still regularly play it.  I expect nothing less from this release.

bitedcurbnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bitedcurbnow
Member since 2004 • 1065 Posts

Uhh, that's an article about Halo 3.

KurupSoldr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 KurupSoldr
Member since 2006 • 4094 Posts

bitedcurbnow

sorry about that here you go : http://kotaku.com/gaming/virtua-fighter-5/virtua-fighter-controller-probs-game-sells-less-than-doa4-235688.php

rasstarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rasstarman
Member since 2004 • 852 Posts
[QUOTE="bitedcurbnow"]

KurupSoldr

sorry about that here you go : http://kotaku.com/gaming/virtua-fighter-5/virtua-fighter-controller-probs-game-sells-less-than-doa4-235688.php

Wow that's not good for Sega. I played VF years ago and cannot remember the version. During that time I usually had friends over but not anymore so i wish the game had some kind of online play. Playing against the Computer will get boring in a day or two.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DarkCatalyst
[QUOTE="KurupSoldr"][QUOTE="bitedcurbnow"]

rasstarman

Wow that's not good for Sega. I played VF years ago and cannot remember the version. During that time I usually had friends over but not anymore so i wish the game had some kind of online play. Playing against the Computer will get boring in a day or two.

Sales are down largely because there's very little incentive to play the console version when the arcade game is there. Without VFNet functionality and online stat tracking, the arcade version is vastly, vastly superior. Make no mistake, Japanese players are dumping more money into this game than we'll ever see. It's just one coin at a time, plus their VFNet subscription fees. However, there will be enough AI data thrown into VF5 that you won't have to worry one bit about not having any competition. Some of the names that made the cut last time around were completely insane.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a7f327c3cc83
deactivated-5a7f327c3cc83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 deactivated-5a7f327c3cc83
Member since 2006 • 1686 Posts
MODS sticky this.volumetricCloud
I agree. And for the no online play. I don't really give a crap anyway. Offline games are fine for me. I reccommend getting some friends and duking it out. Kinda sucks that it doesn't even have some downloadable ghosts. Oh well.
Avatar image for ColoradoKindBud
ColoradoKindBud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 ColoradoKindBud
Member since 2005 • 23882 Posts
Check out the new issue of EGM, they gave it a 9.5, 9.5 & 10.  They said it was the best 3D fighting engine ever created & a must-own PS3 title. 
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DarkCatalyst
Check out the new issue of EGM, they gave it a 9.5, 9.5 & 10. They said it was the best 3D fighting engine ever created & a must-own PS3 title. ColoradoKindBud
Sounds consistent with what I've been hearing elsewhere.
Xanog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#19 Xanog1
Member since 2004 • 12332 Posts

Can't wait for VF5.

I'm going to give El Blaze a try first, and then if I don't like using him, I'll revert back to Kage, my favorite character.

SmoothBrother1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SmoothBrother1
Member since 2003 • 1078 Posts
it really sucks that there's no online play. Certain games can live without online play, like action/adventer games, thats fine with me, but it's just stupid to make fighting games nowadays with no online play. Without it, the games lifespan will be short and for the most part, is a very great rental.
TE_Lawrence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TE_Lawrence
Member since 2005 • 6934 Posts
Top notch thread and it convinced me to get a stick.
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
MODS sticky this.volumetricCloud
I stickied this on DC's request, but never, ever, ever, ever call us MODS. We're moderators, not music files. :|
KaptainKernal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KaptainKernal
Member since 2006 • 1787 Posts
Funny I always thought of MODS being custom games made from the origional games....but thats just me.

anyway I never got into VF nor have I ever played it.maybe that will change but I  really liked Dead or Alive 4 and Soul Caliber 3
DementedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DementedDragon
Member since 2003 • 5095 Posts

As a Virtua Fighter fanatic I was disappointed with the review from GameInformer which gave it an 8/10.  The reasoning behind the score was chiefly their disappointment with the lack of online gameplay.  What really made me upset was them calling it a 'by the numbers' port of the arcade version. The magazine also said the game wasn't 'innovative', what exactly were they looking for?  Tell me how many fighting games have been anything other than arcade ports?  With the exception of DOA, perhaps.

I'm starting to think this game could get the same treatment that Soul Calibur 2 received.  Like VF the game had fun, solid gameplay but because it didn't want to mess with perfection (it did receive a 10 here); it was denied a superb score.  Tekken tried to stir away from it's sound formula and look what happened (Tekken 4.)  Online is a wonderful addition but a lack of it shouldn't be that damning to the game itself.

KaptainKernal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 KaptainKernal
the ps2 versian of soul caliber 2 was bad IMO thats why they made the 3rd one ot make up for it...and the 3rd one was superb IMO  Im gonna need to demo VF5 before I make my decision
masterchef1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 masterchef1000
Member since 2006 • 6279 Posts
That's pretty bumming that VF doesn't have online at all, but it's still okay I guess..
BackFlip101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BackFlip101
Member since 2005 • 676 Posts

[QUOTE="volumetricCloud"]MODS sticky this.MAILER_DAEMON
I stickied this on DC's request, but never, ever, ever, ever call us MODS. We're moderators, not music files. :|

I dont mean to be a d***, but maybe you should remove the icon by your name that says "MOD"

KillaJK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 KillaJK
Member since 2003 • 109 Posts
Great thread.  I've played VF4evo during the Christmas break.  It was great, really fun to play with friends.  Can't wait for VF5.
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"][QUOTE="volumetricCloud"]MODS sticky this.BackFlip101

I dont mean to be a d***, but maybe you should remove the icon by your name that says "MOD"

So the all caps tags that say ADMIN, LEADER, and OFFICER mean nothing? You can take this up with me via PM if you like, I'm not going to hijack this thread. The simple fact is this-- a mod is a moderator (like on a forum) or modification (like how Counter Strike is a Half-Life mod). A MOD is a module music file. 'Nuff said. I'm really looking forward to playing VF5 someday... it'll likely be my first venture into the series. From what I've heard, it's a great place to start. :)
KaptainKernal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 KaptainKernal
sry for my stupid post...ill be more careful

is this game anything like DOA or Soul caliber?
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DarkCatalyst
sry for my stupid post...ill be more careful

is this game anything like DOA or Soul caliber?
KaptainKernal
Much, much better.
KaptainKernal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KaptainKernal
Thank you I am improving, too much suger today...

but seriously is it similar or different. could someone posst some compare and contrasts or something I have no clue what VF series has been like.
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DarkCatalyst
Thank you I am improving, too much suger today...

but seriously is it similar or different. could someone posst some compare and contrasts or something I have no clue what VF series has been like.
KaptainKernal
To explain it...VF does use basically the DOA control scheme, but there is no universal countering system (instead it's a straight-up guard button). However, one major difference between Virtua Fighter and other 3D fighting games, and one thing that a lot of casual players tend to rail on it for, is the fact that it doesn't bother trying to build up a sense of forbidden It doesn't have the same inherent freedom of movement as DOA or SC have, either. Rather, it is thought of on the level that everything you do is a skill, including mobility. You have to earn everything you get, even if it's something as simple as the ability to walk around. What you get in return is one of the most rewarding and lasting gaming experiences you will ever encounter, in a genre that you're probably not used to getting a lot of staying power from (unless you know people who are really good in your area).
glitch2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 glitch2424
Member since 2006 • 897 Posts
Wow, very cool! Haha didn't mean to sound like a geek there, but this is a very good thread. Thanks for mentioning the sticks, too...Can you plse go a bit more in depth in that? Price-wise, quality-wise, which ones need a Ps2-PS3 adaptor, which ones are just overall worth getting? AND, I, like many other young gamers out there in the PS3 forums, don't have a credit card, and have parents unwilling to give out their credit card #, and are therefore stripped of our ability to import. Is there any other way else to get these sticks beyond the internet? Thanks.
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DarkCatalyst
Wow, very cool! Haha didn't mean to sound like a geek there, but this is a very good thread. Thanks for mentioning the sticks, too...Can you plse go a bit more in depth in that? Price-wise, quality-wise, which ones need a Ps2-PS3 adaptor, which ones are just overall worth getting? AND, I, like many other young gamers out there in the PS3 forums, don't have a credit card, and have parents unwilling to give out their credit card #, and are therefore stripped of our ability to import. Is there any other way else to get these sticks beyond the internet? Thanks.glitch2424
Everything I listed is PS3-only. The Virtua Stick High Grade has been recalled but will probably be the best stick pound-for-pound once they get it worked out. The budget stick is the Hori Fighting Stick 3, which weighs in at around the cost of a SIXAXIS (making it a steal)! That one is basically a clone of the Xbox 360's Dead or Alive 4 stick, which I can confirm is a really nice, solid budget stick. If you want to go higher end, prepare to pay around $80-90 before shipping for one of the other two sticks. Unfortunately, as these sticks are only available in the North American market, your options are extremely limited without a credit or debit card. If you can't find something on eBay, my recommendation would be to open a checking account at a reputable national bank, and make sure you get a strong and usable (ie: Visa) debit card to go with it. The Visa Check Card can be used just like a credit card, deducting money from your account instead of charging it, but giving you all of the convenience therein.
babenjorge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 babenjorge
Member since 2007 • 300 Posts
ant wait for VF5!!!!
DPS3150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DPS3150
Member since 2006 • 70 Posts
I personnally cannot wait until next tuesday, mainly because of a new PS3 game which is definitely in need, and it is a great game at that. Visually it will be stunning and playability will of course be just like we are used to. Yeah the lack of an online mode is a minor setback but if the game delivers on gameplay then the online mode wont matter.
RoboticZombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 RoboticZombie
Member since 2006 • 370 Posts
pre ordered this game yesterday vf4evo was great. you need a lot of dedication and time to learn the combos of just one character. great thread.
blitzinger123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 blitzinger123
Member since 2005 • 2370 Posts
My t.v. only supports up to 720p so thats awesome. Virtua Fighter 5 is tied with the tekken series as my favorite fighting game. I put 5 down the other day
joe_boy83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 125

#42 joe_boy83
Member since 2006 • 1098 Posts

Cant wait for this game but is it going to run in 1080p ?.

does anyone know if the moves list is bigger than previous games or have a few moves just been replaced ?.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DarkCatalyst

Cant wait for this game but is it going to run in 1080p ?.

does anyone know if the moves list is bigger than previous games or have a few moves just been replaced ?.

joe_boy83
I answered the HD question in the FAQ. There will be more moves, flat out. Virtua Fighter just keeps getting larger and larger.
joshphillips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 joshphillips
Member since 2003 • 2963 Posts
Got my imported version of Virtua Fighter 5 today! Oh and I put together my new console rack.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a7f327c3cc83
deactivated-5a7f327c3cc83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5a7f327c3cc83
Member since 2006 • 1686 Posts
^That's awesome!
ants_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ants_man
Member since 2005 • 4249 Posts
Might get this game
KillaJK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 KillaJK
Member since 2003 • 109 Posts
[QUOTE="joshphillips"]Got my imported version of Virtua Fighter 5 today! Oh and I put together my new console rack.

Great setup man. Is the import U.S. friendly lanuage wise?
jonkirst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 jonkirst
Member since 2005 • 3213 Posts

The import has all 3 versions on it (Japaneese, Asian, English).  They are releasing all versions on 1 disc, it is the profile that your PS3 loads upon startup that choses the language. 

Short version....YES it is import friendly. :)

kage_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 kage_53
Member since 2006 • 12671 Posts
[QUOTE="bitedcurbnow"]

KurupSoldr

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2007/02/14/103,1171451422,67107,0,0.html

VF5 was the highest selling game of the week which means it must have sold a lot more than that stupid Kotaku article says.

onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 onemic
Member since 2003 • 5616 Posts
[QUOTE="KurupSoldr"][QUOTE="bitedcurbnow"]

kage_53

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2007/02/14/103,1171451422,67107,0,0.html

VF5 was the highest selling game of the week which means it must have sold a lot more than that stupid Kotaku article says.

It really proves that no one should take kotaku seriously. 1up is soon going to be next up on that list.