This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kingmohd84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Kingmohd84
Member since 2006 • 608 Posts

Hello,

Am not an owner of ps3. I have 360, but it seems that I will be owning a ps3 in the near future as my 360 suffered the red lights and sent it to microsoft I got a used one back that has been "certified" to work. But I have a good feeling that it will break again, then its ps3 for me. Good games, great controller, just a bad hardware...

I want to open discussion about ps3 power. I think every one forgot how sony marketed the idea that ps3 is most powerful thing out there and examining the architecture of that thing they are kind of true, amazing cell-processor. Best graphics and amazing blue ray for games. Yet the reality is, ps3 is not giving anything more than 360 if not less.

As far as I heard the 360 put un-blurred images , i heard this in GTA4. For most part 360 has HD and ps3 is just as good. So what happened to all that power, given 360 came a whole year before ps3 did?

If you are going to play same games and same graphics, are we just paying more , or sony spending more on powerful hardware not being used, and should use less hardware which is less expensive to turn higher profit? Add to that, with wii sales, i think the whole industry is changing focus to casual gaming. Its business in the end, and if that is going to sell then they will make casual gaming. So did sony invest in un-needed hardware as casual gaming hardly needs high end power?

This is not a system war thread, its not about comparing the two, its about are we going to see that hardware power or not? If the ps3 was just as good as 360 or any other system, why did sony and other fanboys brag about it its capabilities?

Can you explain to me if this is not true, or if games using ps3 power are comming into existence? Its been a whole year the ps3 is out, and I think its about time, I would very much to hear that I have the wrong idea about ps3 power and how its not being used in the right way.

numbersss101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 numbersss101
Member since 2007 • 421 Posts

Can you explain to me if this is not true, or if games using ps3 power are comming into existence? Its been a whole year the ps3 is out, and I think its about time, I would very much to hear that I have the wrong idea about ps3 power and how its not being used in the right way.

Kingmohd84

*point towards Metal Gear solid 4*

Solidshark21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Solidshark21
Member since 2003 • 350 Posts
Its funny your story mirrors my own situation. While i can't really comment on the specs of the system. I think that it will take some time but you will see the full potential of the ps3. Metal gear is about a month away, and the size of it alone is going to be a testimony to the systems potentials. But i've heard it said that with each new system programmers are constantly trying to push the envelope and system hardware. They were really starting to master the ps2 near the end of its life span and now we are on to the ps3. I have no doubt you'll see some amazinging things when mgs comes out. But personally im waiting to see what square enix is doing with the ff series. To me they set a visual standard on the ps2 and i have no doubt that when their game comes out we will really see what this system can do. I'm sorry that your going through the exact same situation that i went through with my 360 before i sold it but at least you can play some of their exclusives on the pc if your video card is up to date. My brother loaned me his ps3 and i played the online tekken and heavenly sword on it. I think the system has alot of potential. I never felt like it was going to break from me playing it and i have a feeling sony is getting ready to come back strong.
Pelon208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Pelon208
Member since 2005 • 3375 Posts
well right now its ucharted that have awesome graphics never loads, its like 10 hours game play and doesn't need a hdd install. Why? becouse naughty dog know how to developer for the ps3. And insomniac pushing the psn to 60 players online with no lags. Need more??
jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts
you cant really base the power of the ps3 from a multi platform game because it would cost the developer and insane amount of extra money to make the game unique for each system and release it about the same time GTAIV was built on the 360 then ported for the ps3 and shipped on the same time as are most multi platform games so that itself could prove that the ps3 is more powerful think of it like this if you have to load up two equal loads in to different cars one is a 1998 2 seat corvette and the other is a 2007 conversion van (keep in mind each car need to have an equal load) wouldn't make more since to load the smaller corvette first then just put that same amount o stuff in the larger and better van? but since you loaded the Corvette first and carefully put everything into place but the van you just kinda rushed to get the same effect the load in the Corvette would look better but its not better
TrevCubsOr21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6 TrevCubsOr21
Member since 2006 • 934 Posts
doesnt matter PS3 is way better... Blu Ray, internet browser, FREE online, and now the long list of games. It used to be PS3 1 million, Xbox 1 (that one being the better games) now its 1 million and 1 to a big fat zero for the Xbox.
GrandTheftANL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GrandTheftANL
Member since 2008 • 195 Posts

Exclusive ps3 games really make the ps3 shine, multiplat not so much, but yeah the ps3 is a workhorse, think about it like this in the almost 2 years lifespan of the ps3, its capable of playing multiplat games (not talking about EA ports), that an older machine like the 360, is able to play in its 3 year lifespan,

Games like Call of Duty 4, Burnout, etc, the exclusives what show what the ps3 could do, just wait next month for Metal Gear Solid and all of its 50gb of glory

Akm4everz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Akm4everz
Member since 2004 • 2390 Posts
wow does anybody write in paragraphs anymore lol... i got lost in each reply.
ynfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 ynfive
Member since 2004 • 455 Posts
Drakes was the first game to give a taste of what the PS3 can to with the lush jungle environments, but it was still kindof surface eyecandy. Hopefully, cross fingers, MGS4 will be the first title to put the PS3 hardware to work. Like said before, thanks to multi-platform games, a game is made to first work on the 360... THEN the PS3, due to mostly the less technichal programming it takes to make a game on the 360. If the situations were reversed (and please I'm not trying to get this into system wars) where games where developed for the PS3 first and then the 360, we'd see a different result, take the differences on pcs running DX10 on crysis to DX9.
campbell1874

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 campbell1874
Member since 2006 • 1920 Posts

The PS3 is powerful but there is more to making good games than just the power of the system.

Some of the biggest jump in graphics comes from game developers tools. I cant think of a good gaming example but if you look at the final fantasy film they made, they spent over a year doing individule hair movement. The next your or a couple of years later Mosters Inc comes out and the hair on the moster is done by the computer working out the movement of the hair meaning the development team has saved months.

So the PS3 can bring out a exclusive game better than anything out there but it will take a lot more time to build. The more time it cost to build the more money it cost and every developer has to work to a budget. Multi-plateform game developers are just working with the most up to date tools they have so they wont risk the massive amount of extra devopment time to make PS3 game that uses all the power.

I think the PS3 was designed to be roughly on par with the 360 with exclusive games slowly getting better and when the xbox720 comes out then it will be on par with that to.

(side note) I just thought that if the xbox720 is more powerful than the PS3 then microsoft should be able to get more excluive games to use this power as it can be sold on the 720 and the PC giving developers a larger market to make the money back on.

trenno2529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 trenno2529
Member since 2007 • 3396 Posts
is there actually any difference between 360 and ps3 on multiplat games?
numbersss101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 numbersss101
Member since 2007 • 421 Posts

is there actually any difference between 360 and ps3 on multiplat games?trenno2529

Yes! Ps3 is free!

deniiiii21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deniiiii21
Member since 2007 • 1261 Posts
I always said I would have gladly paid 100$ more for PS3 if it included more RAM and a GPU based on G80, Nvidia was already developing the 8 series, BTW processor is awesome its just hard to program for, dont get me wrong PS3 is strong, its just some stuff that sony did that hurt them, especially RAM problems, I think this is because Blue Ray players were so expensive at the time that they really couldnt afford to put in more bells and whistles in the system, as much as I do ove my BR player I think it did hurt the PS3 overall gaming raw power.
Kingmohd84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Kingmohd84

Dont you think sony made the wrong bet as developers(looking for money obviously) are heading toward games that cost less to develop and more wide spread, like wii sport for example? or maybe mario kart?

Sure, ps3 will have more power but that means developers have to spend longer times, more money, and greater risk in making games than low risk low budget games...in the end this is gaming and if it is fun it will sell...

I do not see the industry heading toward Triple A titles with big budgets as they are learning from nintendo to step back and create money than spend a lot and take huge risks...

btw, what does more ram mean for the system?

I heard ps3 has 256 ram and 360 has 512, but what does ram means to gaming consoles?

this is not a comparison question, it is to understand what more ram does in the console, in pc it makes you run more stuff together like photoshop and other programs being faster.

Blue_Heeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Blue_Heeler
Member since 2008 • 134 Posts

is there actually any difference between 360 and ps3 on multiplat games?trenno2529

Burnout Paradise is better on the PS3, as is Devil May Cry 4. GTA4 also has less framerate issues and popups on PS3.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

everybody gloats on why there system is better. I mean what is Sony or any company for that mattere going to do. "no do not buy our system, it is crap". Yes the industry is looking to make smaller games and the reason why sony has lost a few exclusives due to expensive costs of the new hardware, developers can't keep games exclusive to one system full time. That is why games are being multiplat not only to 360 but also on PC as well. Nintendo is making out somewhat because it is cheaper hardware wise to make games for the Wii. As far as marketing and ideas go Nintendo hit things right on the head. Yes a lot of it may be gimmicky, but people are caring less and less about quality and more about what is available to play. If you can market average to bad games at only like 200,000 dollars and get even only 100,000 to buy it then you have made over double what it cost to make the game.

Yes you might be able to do something super awsome with the power of hardware but if you are too expensive and no one wants to put out the money for your system, then you don't have a whole lot. They had systems that had arcade boards in them back in the good old 16 bit era, but no one bought it or developed games for it because for one it cost $1000 dollars to own it and then had a battery life and after awhile the games died out.

Sony is suffering from the same thing that the N64 did back in it's day only not near as bad as nintendo had it. This blu ray is too expensive and so either games are going multiplat or just jumping ship. Why do you think FF and all the other major games were put on PS1 because nintendo used cartridge and overall became bossy and tried to tell 3rd parties what to do. I mean games like Mario 64 and Turok 2 were awsome but, all that graphics, sound and whatever else cost nintendo a lot a decade ago.

Sure sometimes hardware can get you exclusives like Ninja Gaiden on Xbox 1 or Elder Scrolls 3, SNES had a huge advantage over the genesis with not only hardware in terms of 3d and color palette but also with the controller and the amount of buttons on it.

Yes sony scored some points in terms of MMO's with ever PS3 having a hard drive and the PSN being limitless and open. Konami stated somewhere that they like the PSN because of the openess of it's network. Sony needs to start taking some financial strains in order to secure some exclusives for their system, or at least send developers to help get games running properly on PS3, otherwise they will end up like Sega Saturn. I highly doubt it will be that bad since the reason Sega never made it was because they always wanted to have the newest hardware out and couldn't even get their first party games to run smooth on their last couple systems. They had to put VF 2 and Nights out twice because the original versions of those games. thier add ons weren't that much more better than their original system. The dreamcast didn't push their hardware enough. They had a lot of games that ps1 and n64 had but a lot of it didn't play any better. Not that Sonic Adventure was bad, but that game had a lot of bugs in it. falling through floors and walls.

Sony need to stop gloating the victory of Blu Ray and start showing off why their machine is important, because right now they don't have an image.

The Wii has we are simple and cater to the non gamer. the 360 has the online and community aspect to it. The ps3 has that we have everything built in and can make use of other gadgets like USB flah drives and PC gamepads which automatically map buttons so that games play similar to having a real PS controller.

The problem is that some of the exclusives while pretty awsome don't showcase the hardware in a unique way and their aren't any titles that have a huge interest in NA or JP markets. NA pretty much only plays with shooters and other "Mature" content so it's obvious why 360 has such a huge base there. The JP market pretty much doesn't play much of anything except old arcade hits, party like games, and JRPG's and that is why PS3 isn't too popular and the fact that the market there probably is not willing to pay 400 dollars for a system. Maybe once PS3 hits the original ps2 price you might see it gain attention. Europe has done welll because they enjoy a lot of racing games and so forth. The PS3 has a lot of racing games such as Motorstorm, Burnout, GT 5, F1, Dirt, Ridge Racer, Need For Speed, and so on. Sony needs to concentrate on the NA a bit more and they need to have a price drop and a few more Japanese oriented games.

Avatar image for Love_Hina_Lover
Love_Hina_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Love_Hina_Lover
Member since 2002 • 4381 Posts
[QUOTE="Kingmohd84"]

numbersss101

*point towards Metal Gear solid 4*

point all you want, but i personnaly dont find mgs4 to be graphicaly superior to any top level 360 game. Now that being said i wtill cant wait to play it, as hopefully story wise it is superior :)
Kingmohd84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Kingmohd84

I agree that i dont see how graphics are better, because both systems are HD.

yet I think the difference might be in like number of enemies, amount of content, amount of animation detail, and such...

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 swamplord666
Member since 2007 • 1873 Posts

Now it's only up to the developers to invest the time into their games to make use of all the power the ps 3 has to offer. REMEMBER THOUGH PS3 has the better processor and 360 has the better GPU, so it's all about how smoothly things run and how much stuff is going on at the same time. You'll get great graphics but ultimately the 360 GPU has the slight edge... i believe.

Also don't expect a multiplat developer to release a superior version of their game. They make them equal in every way.

Anywho if you want graphical prowess i suggest you look at the latest in game footage of Killzone 2. It is simply incredible... even though the AI seems to need to be touched up a tad.

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 swamplord666
Member since 2007 • 1873 Posts
i'd like to say also to gamenerd15 that japan is HUGE on videogames! Bigger than in the US i guarantee it. Some schools and buisnesses were closed on the release of the new Dragonquest because they knew people would be lining up to buy it. They have tons of videogames and they are very big into RPGs, RTS and all kinds of others. just not much into shooters... which is why 360 is not that big over there.
Lo_Rising

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lo_Rising
Member since 2007 • 930 Posts
why do we continue to discuss the power of a system? this argument has been lost in translation so many times its not even funny. all these wanna be know it alls come on here and pretend to know what system does this and that, when they dont know crap. its a farce, both systems have great power, both have perks to their online service, and both have great games to play, can we please stop with the mine is more powerful than yours speech.
marterikster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 marterikster
Member since 2007 • 934 Posts
Mgs4 boxartThis a good example of what the ps3 can do:D
Jazz559

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jazz559
Member since 2002 • 1750 Posts

Basically what it comes down to is programming...Microsoft did an incredible job of making their production suite for the 360 as user friendly as possible. But being that the 360 is about a year older than the PS3, power is lacking.

However, with the PS3's power comes a price...developers need to be able to program their code to take full advantage of the 9 or so processing channels available with the Cell processing architecture.

I have no doubt in my mind (being a 360 fanboy myself) that we will see some incredible things out of the PS3 hardware in the next few years, but as for right now I believe that developers are still struggling to harness the true potential of the system.

zaphod_b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 zaphod_b
Member since 2002 • 2201 Posts

I think that truly the jury is still out on which system is more powerful. The two processors handle calculations in a very different way, so they are difficult to compare.

However, up to this point, most cross-platform games were developed for the 360 first then ported to the PS3. This has caused a big headache for the devlopers due to the vastly different hardware/software. It also means that there is little chance for the PS3 to look any better than the 360.

Developers are now finding that it is easier to develop for the PS3 first, then port to the 360 since the 360 uses direct-X API's that everyone is already familiar with. This is a good thing for PS3 owners. It is more likely that we will see higher resolution textures and polygons on the PS3 than on the 360 as a result, so I would say that in the next year or so, you will see the difference (if there really is one).

Obviously one of the major advantages of the PS3 is the larger storage capacity that BD allows. This doesn't directly translate to better graphics though, since the system is still limited by its overall rendering power.

Avatar image for 5FingersOfDeath
5FingersOfDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 5FingersOfDeath
Member since 2007 • 1114 Posts
I keep thinking of He-Man when I read your topic.
Nikodemus87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Nikodemus87
Member since 2007 • 27 Posts

Mgs4 boxartThis a good example of what the ps3 can do:Dmarterikster

Its a shame that this and FF(whatever the stupid roman numeral they are at) will be the only ones that can show what the PS3 can do but only if backed by a truly aweinspering budget and loads and loads of talent...multiplatfor(the way of the future it seems) 360 beats PS3 but then most multilplatform games are not really "made" to take advantage of the new structure that the Cell has and atleast now the small market share of the PS3 makes it unworthy to do anything "special" with the PS3 version.