The Orange Box Talk...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 0

#1 Young_Charter
Member since 2009 • 20067 Posts

You guys think the game is still totally worth it ?

I was checking it out, 5 games in one is pretty good.. Shows the quality of bluray holding all these games on one disc..

I know its only a little expensive lately due to Portal 2 dropping soon.. but I found a copy new at my job for 24.99.. well, opened but new

as in fresh case, disc, booklet, all that.

Btw, anyone still play Team Fortress 2 :P ?

-Hoax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 -Hoax-
Member since 2008 • 5331 Posts
Portal is GREAT but its very short, HL2 etc are good and alot longer then Portal and the package is worth the money... but are you gonna play them? Black Ops comes out next week.
Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Young_Charter
Portal is GREAT but its very short, HL2 etc are good and alot longer then Portal and the package is worth the money... but are you gonna play them? Black Ops comes out next week.-Hoax-
Well I think it is worth being in my collection and yes.. I mean, I will add room for both titles... then again I could wait.. It's not like The Orange Box is some hard to find type ish...
Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Texas2089
Member since 2003 • 16490 Posts
I'm thinking about getting it just for Portal closer to when Portal 2 comes out. I don't really care about TF2 and I never played the first HL so I'm not sure about playing HL2.
Michael622

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Michael622
Member since 2008 • 141 Posts

It's worth it just for Portal, although I got it for only £10. I didn't enjoy HL2 that much and haven't played either episode 1 or 2. Team Fortress is ok and you will be able to find a game easily enough.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
FYI it doesn't have anything to do with Blu-Ray, all five games fit on DVD. If you like puzzle games it is probably worth it for that, HL2 series is supposed to be pretty great.. And yeah a ton of people still play TF2.... on PC. :P Also, if you have a target/kmart/walmart/etc, it's 19.99 sealed at any of those type of stores.
Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Young_Charter

It's worth it just for Portal, although I got it for only £10. I didn't enjoy HL2 that much and haven't played either episode 1 or 2. Team Fortress is ok and you will be able to find a game easily enough.

Michael622
I have completed the HL1, so I wouldn't mind giving HL2 a shot.. Even tho it can be boring a little sometimes..
anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts

Yes, it's a fantastic deal. Portal and Half Life 2 are some of the best games I've ever played. HL2:Episode 1 is pretty good and Episode 2 is amazing. Honestly, it'd be worth it just for Portal though. It's very short but there's nothing else like it.

I don't know about anyone else but I found TF2 to be very laggy. I think 95% of the time I spend playing that game I along with everyone else was lagging around the maps. I'd imagine it'd be awesome if it wasn't for that. I guess if you're really serious about TF2, you're playing on PC so this doesn't matter.

hxczuner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 hxczuner
Member since 2009 • 2672 Posts

I've played Half-life 1/2, portal, and Team Fortress 2 all on PC but I'm still thinking about getting the Orange Box on PS3. It just feels like I should have it in my collection.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Young_Charter

I've played Half-life 1/2, portal, and Team Fortress 2 all on PC but I'm still thinking about getting the Orange Box on PS3. It just feels like I should have it in my collection.

hxczuner
Same here lol..
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#11 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
I would still say that you're best off getting it on a computer that's strong enough to run the game properly to truly appreciate it. Recently they had just finished updating the older games that were part of the Orange Box in order to get the benefits of the engine improvements released since then (particularly noticeable on the original HL2). If you can't play it anywhere else, I suppose the PS3 version isn't all that bad. However, while it does look marginally better running than on the other console, it seems to suffer a in terms of framerate, but moreso in the more frequent stops to load the next map sections. TF2 for PC is simply MUCH more active than it is on either console at this point.
Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Young_Charter
[QUOTE="codezer0"]I would still say that you're best off getting it on a computer that's strong enough to run the game properly to truly appreciate it. Recently they had just finished updating the older games that were part of the Orange Box in order to get the benefits of the engine improvements released since then (particularly noticeable on the original HL2). If you can't play it anywhere else, I suppose the PS3 version isn't all that bad. However, while it does look marginally better running than on the other console, it seems to suffer a in terms of framerate, but moreso in the more frequent stops to load the next map sections. TF2 for PC is simply MUCH more active than it is on either console at this point.

Yeah my PS3 aint all that.
Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

I have to agree with Codezer0.

I have had Orange Box on PS3 (rent) and even after all the current updates It's definitely not a good port. If Valve themselves did it however, it would had been excellent.

Unless you have absolutely no other option to buy it, then the PS3 version will suffice.. It saddens me to say this words but it truly was not a good port, but Orange Box is one of the best value for money purchases also being a fantastic game.

Don't miss on it.

AJC3317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#15 AJC3317
Member since 2003 • 2546 Posts
the orange box is great, although it has nothing to do with blu ray. i have it for the 360 and it's on one disc for that too
Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Young_Charter

I have had Orange Box on PS3 (rent) and even after all the current updates It's definitely not a good port. If Valve themselves did it however, it would had been excellent.

Unless you have absolutely no other option to buy it, then the PS3 version will suffice.. It saddens me to say this words but it truly was not a good port, but Orange Box is one of the best value for money purchases also being a fantastic game.

Don't miss on it.

Sokol4ever
IS it that bad on PS3 ?
jerkface96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jerkface96
Member since 2005 • 9189 Posts

dont do it its one of the worst ps3 ports out there.

Team Fortress 2 has gotten no support or updates to fix glitches, theres a lot of lag cause the ps3 cant even handle the frame rate.

Theres framerate problems in all of the games it comes packaged with, and it has to save every ten minutes when you play single player.

I dont think its worth it.

anime_gamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 anime_gamer007
Member since 2007 • 6142 Posts
[QUOTE="Sokol4ever"]

Don't miss on it.

Young_Charter
IS it that bad on PS3 ?

No, it's not. The only issues I found were the loading times were a little long but nothing that just ruins the game and the framerate dropped here and there but it wasn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Maybe if you've played the PC version then you'd notice the differences but for me it was fine. If you're only option is the PS3 then you shouldn't feel shorthanded about it.
jerkface96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jerkface96
[QUOTE="Young_Charter"][QUOTE="Sokol4ever"]

Don't miss on it.

anime_gamer007
IS it that bad on PS3 ?

No, it's not. The only issues I found were the loading times were a little long but nothing that just ruins the game and the framerate dropped here and there but it wasn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Maybe if you've played the PC version then you'd notice the differences but for me it was fine. If you're only option is the PS3 then you shouldn't feel shorthanded about it.

its pretty horrible and i never played it on PC
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
Avoid the the ps3 version long load times kill the game.
jerkface96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jerkface96
Avoid the the ps3 version long load times kill the game.Fightingfan
AND theyre frequent, Half Life 2 already has a slow start... but its made even worse by Long and Frequent loadtimes lol
hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22378 Posts
Orange Box is a must buy... Fantastic value!
commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

I had it on 360 and it certainly wasn't bad. Yes there were long load times but I still enjoyed it.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Young_Charter
You guys are complaining because of Load times ??? Lord have mercy.. I wonder what you guys would do if an old woman needed help getting across the street lol :P
jerkface96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jerkface96
You guys are complaining because of Load times ??? Lord have mercy.. I wonder what you guys would do if an old woman needed help getting across the street lol :P Young_Charter
theres a lot of frame rate drops too. DUDE its not the load times, its the frequency of the loads, i swear to you haha
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Just get the PC version and thank us later. It's the got the biggest community, continous updates, and the cheapest.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Young_Charter
[QUOTE="Young_Charter"]You guys are complaining because of Load times ??? Lord have mercy.. I wonder what you guys would do if an old woman needed help getting across the street lol :P jerkface96
theres a lot of frame rate drops too. DUDE its not the load times, its the frequency of the loads, i swear to you haha

lol... I am guessing the game is on Dial up ? :P
Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Sokol4ever

[QUOTE="Sokol4ever"]

Don't miss on it.

Young_Charter

IS it that bad on PS3 ?

It's not 'that' bad. Maybe I came out little overreacting. I have had a chance to play half of the Orange Box at my friends Xbox 360, I own Orange Box for PC and I have finished the game on PS3 (rental).

I love Orange Box. (If you haven't noticed ;P).

It's playable on PS3, it's however not near good quality as the other platforms and there is no reason for it other then inexperienced developers who ported it. I know for sure Valve would had made it excellent quality if they developed it, unfortunately - that's not the case.

You can technically play it on PS3 and not care for issues it offers, unexplained frame-rate drops which happen often, overall visual quality is shameful, amongst other aspects I could complain about when I compared all the experience I have had.

The best advice I can give you is to rent a game first and find out how you like it. You could actually buy it as well, I have seen Orange Box below 19$ on few occasion new and 9.99$ used.

It's one of the rare games I'm angry at developer lack of polish on exellent game when it comes to my PS3 collection.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Young_Charter

Don't miss on it.

Sokol4ever

IS it that bad on PS3 ?

It's not 'that' bad. Maybe I came out little overreacting. I have had a chance to play half of the Orange Box at my friends Xbox 360, I own Orange Box for PC and I have finished the game on PS3 (rental).

It's playable on PS3, it's however not near good quality as the other platforms and there is no reason for it other then inexperienced developers who ported it. I know for sure Valve would had made it excellent quality if they developed it, unfortunately - that's not the case.

You can technically play it on PS3 and not care for issues it offers, unexplained frame-rate drops which happen often, overall visual quality is shameful, amongst other aspects I could complain about when I compared all the experience I have had.

The best advice I can give you is to rent a game first and find out how you like it. You could actually buy it as well, I have seen Orange Box below 19$ on few occasion new and 9.99$ used.

It's one of the rare games I'm angry at developer lack of polish on exellent game when it comes to my PS3 collection.

ahh I see.. so if I get it I see you'll be my TF2 buddy ? :P
brickdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 156

#30 brickdoctor
Member since 2008 • 9746 Posts

The Orange Box is a must, no matter what system you get it on. In addition to one of the greatest first person shooters of all time and it's expansions you get Portal which is masterpiece all in its own right. The biggest downside of the PS3 version is that TF2 is dead. I've only had a couple of framerate drops though and the PS3 version isn't nearly as inferior as many people say. I'd give it a 9.5/10.

Spy_106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Spy_106
Member since 2005 • 712 Posts
You will REGRET buying the game for consoles I bought it in 2008 and still playing TF2 till this day :)
RogueShodown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 RogueShodown
Member since 2009 • 2818 Posts
I don't remember ever having a problem with the load times, but I'd still suggest avoiding that version if you can. Even getting the 360 version without a Gold membership is better, due to the problems in the PS3 version and the fact that TF2 is nearly dead on it. The PC version beats the 360 version by a mile, though.
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#33 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
No, it's not. The only issues I found were the loading times were a little long but nothing that just ruins the game and the framerate dropped here and there but it wasn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Maybe if you've played the PC version then you'd notice the differences but for me it was fine. If you're only option is the PS3 then you shouldn't feel shorthanded about it. anime_gamer007
Except that you should. The amount of extras and freebies that have been added to/implemented into OB particularly on PC is nothing short of massive. And even in terms of getting any of that post-release patching for TF2 implemented on a console, the 360 was much more likely toget it sooner, if only because the dev tools VALVe had at the time allowed the underlying code to be the same on both systems. EA botched the port to PS3 pretty badly, so VALVe can't even patch the ps3 version properly. If you've got even a halfway capable PC, get orange box on there - it's much cheaper on Steam, and it will undoubtedly look, play, and load faster by comparison.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Avoid the the ps3 version long load times kill the game.RogueShodown
I don't remember ever having a problem with the load times, but I'd still suggest avoiding that version if you can. Even getting the 360 version without a Gold membership is better, due to the problems in the PS3 version and the fact that TF2 is nearly dead on it. The PC version beats the 360 version by a mile, though.

Die in portal.
betamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 betamon
Member since 2006 • 306 Posts
Whoops... I bought the wrong version then.
Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Texas2089
Member since 2003 • 16490 Posts
You guys are complaining because of Load times ??? Lord have mercy.. I wonder what you guys would do if an old woman needed help getting across the street lol :P Young_Charter
Run her over. After reading some of the complaints, should I go with the 360 version over the PS3 version then? My PC sucks so that's not really an option (plus I could care less about TF2 so I don't really care about the smaller community on consoles). I was thinking about getting Orange Box for PS3 because if I get Portal 2 I'm getting it on PS3 and I like keeping series on the same system. If the PS3 version is that bad compared to the 360 version I might get that instead.
Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Young_Charter
[QUOTE="Young_Charter"]You guys are complaining because of Load times ??? Lord have mercy.. I wonder what you guys would do if an old woman needed help getting across the street lol :P Texas2089
Run her over. After reading some of the complaints, should I go with the 360 version over the PS3 version then? My PC sucks so that's not really an option (plus I could care less about TF2 so I don't really care about the smaller community on consoles). I was thinking about getting Orange Box for PS3 because if I get Portal 2 I'm getting it on PS3 and I like keeping series on the same system. If the PS3 version is that bad compared to the 360 version I might get that instead.

lol I hear u bro
CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
orange box=masterpiece buy it
Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Sokol4ever

[QUOTE="Sokol4ever"]

[QUOTE="Young_Charter"] IS it that bad on PS3 ? Young_Charter

Absolutely. On the PC that is. ;)

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Young_Charter

Sokol4ever

Absolutely. On the PC that is. ;)

Nooooooooo!!!! :P
Upparoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Upparoom
Member since 2010 • 2111 Posts

I was checking it out, 5 games in one is pretty good.. Shows the quality of bluray holding all these games on one disc..

I know its only a little expensive lately due to Portal 2 dropping soon.. but I found a copy new at my job for 24.99.. well, opened but new

Young_Charter

Just get it on PC, it's barely demanding graphically and the engine is really flexible to crappy computers. Unless you have Windows 98, I'm sure you can play all 5 games on it fine. Besides, you'd get the real version of TF2, because the console versions are hugely inferior due to lack of updating.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Young_Charter

[QUOTE="Young_Charter"]

Upparoom

Just get it on PC, it's barely demanding graphically and the engine is really flexible to crappy computers. Unless you have Windows 98, I'm sure you can play all 5 games on it fine. Besides, you'd get the real version of TF2, because the console versions are hugely inferior due to lack of updating.

You guys make is sound like we have them top notch optimus prime PC's :P I only have a Compaq laptop :P
commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

Just don't get it at all... problem solved :D

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Young_Charter

Just don't get it at all... problem solved :D

commonfate
no it isn't !! I am getting it for PS3 !! lol
Phantom5800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#45 Phantom5800
Member since 2006 • 10200 Posts
You guys make is sound like we have them top notch optimus prime PC's :P I only have a Compaq laptop :P Young_Charter
I'd still get it for PC. I can run Half Life and Portal just fine on my 4-year-old laptop (2 GB DDR2 RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo 1.5 GHz, integrated Intel graphics). TF2 doesn't even have issues if I stay in servers around 20 people or less. Now, my desktop just blows my laptop out of the water, but Orange Box games take so little to run it's worth it for the FAR superior PC version.