The new 80 GB PS3 news could be important.

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bsager87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 bsager87
Member since 2004 • 51 Posts
I have a feeling that the new PS3 in development is far more than just a hard drive upgrade.  C'mon people, they wouldn't redesign the thing to add 20 GB to the hard drive.  I think they are going through a redesign of the interal structure to bring the production costs down.  I would not be suprised to see a new PS3 come out, with larger hard drive and HD cabling for the same $599 price point.  Hopefully this is the case.
rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts
Isn't this just a rumor?
feel_freetwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 feel_freetwo
Member since 2006 • 1888 Posts
they arent redesigning it at all. there is no need. it hasnt been critised for its design in ANY way. they just spent billions promoting and shipping the ps3.....why spend money researching and developing a new ps3 when there is no need. find pictures of sony execs having burning money parties. and maybe you have some basis of this stupid rumor.
feel_freetwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 feel_freetwo
i should say, the xbox360 has been bashed, for its small hard drive and no hdmi. and with the ps3 coming out it looked pretty bad. the ps3 doesnt have these issues. 2 words IT'S NONSENSE!!!!!!!!!!
ezrock212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ezrock212
Member since 2004 • 41 Posts
The Ps3's that are being made right now and in the future (including the 80gb or larger) versions will have a somewhat redesigned and die-shrunk processer.  What does this mean to me and you?  Less power comsumption, more proficient (faster etc.) and it will run cooler.  I'm glad I didn't buy one yet.
feel_freetwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 feel_freetwo
The Ps3's that are being made right now and in the future (including the 80gb or larger) versions will have a somewhat redesigned and die-shrunk processer. What does this mean to me and you? Less power comsumption, more proficient (faster etc.) and it will run cooler. I'm glad I didn't buy one yet.ezrock212
its not true . there is no 80gb version.
dianwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dianwei
Member since 2003 • 89 Posts
The production of this 80gb PS3 is very likely if Sony sees Microsoft having success with their elite sku. But I doubt they will only add 20gb to the current system.
feel_freetwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 feel_freetwo
The production of this 80gb PS3 is very likely if Sony sees Microsoft having success with their elite sku. But I doubt they will only add 20gb to the current system. dianwei
you people piss me off.
dizzykim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dizzykim
Member since 2005 • 721 Posts

If this does happen, it would show major hypocrisy on Sony's part after the comment made by them about the impact of the 360 Elite. They need to just shut their mouths when it comes to talking about their competition. This also applies to Microsoft and Nintendo (moreso for Microsoft than Nintendo).

I do hope that any improvements made in the future are ones where you would not be able to get as just an accessory or add-on. If it is just a bigger hard drive, new cables or something along those lines, then Sony would be better off just selling the upgrade separately. Of course, I am talking out of my a$$ at this point, since nothing is concrete and Sony might not even get this implemented.

Avatar image for speedjunkie1992
speedjunkie1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 speedjunkie1992
Member since 2006 • 1395 Posts
Meh, even if they do make an 80GB PS3 it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I like my PS3 just the way it is an this new 360 elite is just silly.
rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts
I repeat :80 GB PS3 is aRUMOR!
Avatar image for speedjunkie1992
speedjunkie1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 speedjunkie1992
Member since 2006 • 1395 Posts
I repeat :80 GB PS3 is aRUMOR!rogerjak
I don't disagree i merely said that even if they did make one......
hex222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hex222
Member since 2004 • 185 Posts
Errr, does noone here know that you can replace the hard drive already in your PS3 with any other laptop SATA hard drive, its not difficult for them just to update the hard drives considering that how suddenly the really big ones (200 GB +) are getting really cheap... All they'd be doing would be improving the console to keep the standard to the price...
lennygundam14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lennygundam14
Member since 2004 • 827 Posts

if there is a 80gb version coming out, its probably not redesigned, just a 80gb ps3 with HD cables

rued2k6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rued2k6
Member since 2006 • 979 Posts

i hope sony does not do this, cause they really dont need to. and 20gb more is pretty weak.

mikeslemonade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mikeslemonade
Member since 2006 • 3624 Posts
80GB and 60GB is the same thing.  I don't care about an extra 20GB.  Anything under 100GB sucks anyway that's why only bought a 20GB and I plan on upgrading the HDD for cheap.
heretic92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 heretic92
Member since 2003 • 302 Posts

The production of this 80gb PS3 is very likely if Sony sees Microsoft having success with their elite sku. But I doubt they will only add 20gb to the current system. dianwei

the elite is crap, its not like it troubles sony didnt u read their comment about the elite saying that htey already give ALL their customers an elite experience. the only change to the ps3 will be the processor size i mean COME ON the hdd is already swappable for generic hdds and it already has wifi and bluray wat else can they put in?

at mike: dont u miss ur wifi? hows swapping out a 20 for a 200 cheaper than losing wifi? and the card readers and watever else? there is a reason the 20gig sku isnt being sold ne more.....

jackle2071

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 jackle2071
Member since 2004 • 5477 Posts

have you been in the xbox forum latly? alot of people are not too happy about the elite

emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts
There's no need for an 80GB SKU when you can just as easily install a bigger HDD or even more easily use an external HDD.
FLSTYLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FLSTYLE
Member since 2004 • 124 Posts
Can this thread be closed now? The only thing that is going on is pointless speculation about a version of the PS3 that doesn't and will never exist unless stated otherwise by Sony.
ghaleon0721

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ghaleon0721
Member since 2003 • 338 Posts
We all know that over time technology becomes cheaper. This has never been more apparent than with storage space. It really wasn't that long ago that we had this 3.5" square that could only hold 1.44 MB of data as our primary means of sharing data among computers. Now we have ipods and USB drives with storage measured in GIGABYTES. And dont' forget that they are cheap and plentiful. Hard drives are the same way. Buy a Dell PC tomorrow and then open up their catalog three months later. You'll see a PC with a bigger hard drive, for the same price. I would be very surprised to find out that Sony is paying the same amount for a 60GB drive today that they were paying six months ago. They are most likely paying less. What would you like Sony to do with the extra money? It's probably not enough to cut the retail price of the system so would you be happy if they just pocketed the money? Wouldn't you rather they just upgrade to a larger hard drive, for the same price, and maintain the same retail price of the system? That makes sense to me. The 80GB PS3 is probably quite real. However, when it is released, it will be the END of the 60GB. You might see retailers selling them at discounts "while supplies last", but that is it. There will not be multiple SKU's like the 360. Sony made the HD easily interchangeable for a reason, and this is probably it. As storage space becomes cheaper, they can continually release an enhanced PS3 at the same price point. And for those of us who spent the money early, we can thank sony for making HD upgrades cheap and easy.
BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#22 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts
Why would they care for 20 GB more when any1 can get like a 500 GB sata for practically nothing (especially when the elite 120 GB HDD is $180, which is almost half a console).
ghaleon0721

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ghaleon0721
Why would they care for 20 GB more when any1 can get like a 500 GB sata for practically nothing (especially when the elite 120 GB HDD is $180, which is almost half a console).BenderUnit22
Because the CAN. This is probably the whole reason that they made the hard drives so easily interchangeable. It is no problem for them to just swap out the 60GB for the 80GB hard drive on the production line. It changes NOTHING. The system costs the same to make and it retails for the same. It just means that the system is keeping up with the times. That's all. It's not going to be an extra SKU. It's not going to be like the 360 where gamers get a "choice" (which is total baloney, but that's another forum thread altogether).
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 emitsu97

Because the CAN. This is probably the whole reason that they made the hard drives so easily interchangeable. It is no problem for them to just swap out the 60GB for the 80GB hard drive on the production line. It changes NOTHING. The system costs the same to make and it retails for the same. It just means that the system is keeping up with the times. That's all. It's not going to be an extra SKU. It's not going to be like the 360 where gamers get a "choice" (which is total baloney, but that's another forum thread altogether).ghaleon0721

Any idea what that does to the existing 60GB user base?

ghaleon0721

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ghaleon0721

[QUOTE="ghaleon0721"]Because the CAN. This is probably the whole reason that they made the hard drives so easily interchangeable. It is no problem for them to just swap out the 60GB for the 80GB hard drive on the production line. It changes NOTHING. The system costs the same to make and it retails for the same. It just means that the system is keeping up with the times. That's all. It's not going to be an extra SKU. It's not going to be like the 360 where gamers get a "choice" (which is total baloney, but that's another forum thread altogether).emitsu97

Any idea what that does to the existing 60GB user base?

Are you going to throw a fit over 20GB? I'm not. It's just like when you buy a PC. A larger hard drive is availble for the same price within WEEKS. It's just how the world works. And if you want more storage space, you can thank sony for making the HD so easily interchangeable. Also, was there an uproar within the existing user base when the redesigned PS2 came out with a built-in remote sensor and network connectivity? No there wasn't.
The_Tombo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 The_Tombo
Member since 2005 • 3537 Posts

Meh, even if they do make an 80GB PS3 it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I like my PS3 just the way it is an this new 360 elite is just silly.speedjunkie1992

word

choasgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 choasgod
Member since 2005 • 5710 Posts
 their is no 80gb PS3 ...
     and SONY is being attacked on the price point of PS3 ... rasing the Price would be crazy ...

a price drop lator this year is far more likly then a new more expensive redesigned PS3 ....
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 emitsu97

Are you going to throw a fit over 20GB? I'm not. It's just like when you buy a PC. A larger hard drive is availble for the same price within WEEKS. It's just how the world works. And if you want more storage space, you can thank sony for making the HD so easily interchangeable.ghaleon0721

I'm not throwing a fit over anything.  However, offering a model with more storage space for the same price just weeks after completion of global launch is illogical.  Understandably tech prices come down but Sony is still pushing to turn profit on hardware.  If 80GB HDD's came down so did 60GB HDD's.  HDD space is a non issue atm so strategically it would be retarded to incur additional or even equivalent expense when Sony could just as easily maintain the current SKU structure with better company benefit and no chance of confusion or upset in the consumer market.

Also, was there an uproar within the existing user base when the redesigned PS2 came out with a built-in remote sensor and network connectivity? No there wasn't. ghaleon0721

The Slimline didn't come out 4.5 months after initial launch. 

svenskamerikan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 svenskamerikan
Member since 2007 • 1408 Posts

their is no 80gb PS3 ...
     and SONY is being attacked on the price point of PS3 ... rasing the Price would be crazy ...

a price drop lator this year is far more likly then a new more expensive redesigned PS3 ....
choasgod

This isn't just a rumor - this is based on Sony's own filing with the FCC. They may not put it in production, but there is no arguing that they spent significant time and money on this revised version. Bluetooth revision is for sure in this version. So they make some internal changes they put in a bigger harddrive to justify keeping the price point the same. Doesn't do smack for the 60gb version -- all we got to do is get a 150gbdrive later.....

daveg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 daveg1
Member since 2005 • 20405 Posts
where is the link????????
Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 Vampyronight
Member since 2002 • 3933 Posts

I don't think it will happen anytime soon.

I just don't see the value in raising the size of the hard drive instead of offering a price cut to consumers.

If it happens, it will be in a few years. And the reason wouldn't be because larger hard drives are necessary, but because they're cheaper. In a few years, the 20gb hard drive will be entirely obsolete- if Sony wished to pursue that model, they would have to have those hard drives specially made, which would increase price. It would just be cheaper to find a mass-market model and throw that in, even though it will be bigger.

I hope that the 20GB one is still in existance when I get back the US this summer. I won't need a much larger hard drive for a year or two, nor do I need wifi or the memory slots (never had a PS2, can just use the USB plugs for my PSP). In a few years, I could see myself buying a massive hard drive and really making the PS3 a media center.

FireFalkon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 FireFalkon
Member since 2004 • 866 Posts

maybe sony will only make the 60gb, no different SKUs,no consumer confusion

maybe by this years end there'll be only one ps3 version with rumble controllers and a HDMI cable all that for 500$, a man has the right to dream anyway....

ghaleon0721

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ghaleon0721

[QUOTE="ghaleon0721"]Are you going to throw a fit over 20GB? I'm not. It's just like when you buy a PC. A larger hard drive is availble for the same price within WEEKS. It's just how the world works. And if you want more storage space, you can thank sony for making the HD so easily interchangeable.emitsu97

I'm not throwing a fit over anything.  However, offering a model with more storage space for the same price just weeks after completion of global launch is illogical.  Understandably tech prices come down but Sony is still pushing to turn profit on hardware.  If 80GB HDD's came down so did 60GB HDD's.  HDD space is a non issue atm so strategically it would be retarded to incur additional or even equivalent expense when Sony could just as easily maintain the current SKU structure with better company benefit and no chance of confusion or upset in the consumer market.

Also, was there an uproar within the existing user base when the redesigned PS2 came out with a built-in remote sensor and network connectivity? No there wasn't. ghaleon0721

The Slimline didn't come out 4.5 months after initial launch. 

Dude, you are 100% right except for one thing. This alleged 80GB PS3 is nowhere on the radar screen. All of your arguments assume that this thing is coming out soon. I'm guessing well into 2008 before we see it. Remember, as of right now, the rumor going around only says that Sony submitted a request to the FCC, that's it. There is nothing wrong with Sony discontinuing the 60GB model after a year and a half and releasing an 80GB model at the same price point. This just goes to show that Sony is committed to supporting this thing for the LONG TERM
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 emitsu97
In the vein of speculation we could also consider this news of an 80GB HDD to be the baseline SKU for the more media minded unit that was discussed months back.  It also makes more sense when tied in with the bluetooth upgrade because of Blu-ray's newly mandated requirements, one of which is internet connectivity.
rappid_rabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 rappid_rabbit
Member since 2007 • 900 Posts

I have a feeling that the new PS3 in development is far more than just a hard drive upgrade. C'mon people, they wouldn't redesign the thing to add 20 GB to the hard drive. I think they are going through a redesign of the interal structure to bring the production costs down. I would not be suprised to see a new PS3 come out, with larger hard drive and HD cabling for the same $599 price point. Hopefully this is the case.bsager87

80GB harddrive would make no sense, as you can easily upgrade the HDD...

UNLESS, they drop the 60GB to 500, and the 80GB to 600

But, what about all the PS3's boys calling foul with the Elite? Id hate to see you PS3 fanboys get a massive dose a self-ownage.

Just upgrade the HDD yourself, I turned my 20GB to 120GB for $80...use Linuz to transfer files such as movies to the HDD (i have never tried this yet, as i have to convert my collection to MP4 first) 

knicknut17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#36 knicknut17
Member since 2003 • 1987 Posts

An 80 GB PS3 is the DUMBEST THING I have ever heard of. Seriously...what is another 20 GB of space going to do? How would that look even remotely impressive compared to the cheaper Xbox 360 Elite that has 120 GB? Just find a way to produce the PS3 for cheaper and drop the price. Why does it even matter how much hard drive space is included? You can ALWAYS upgrade the HDD. Anyone, even my mom can do it. The directions to do so are in the instruction manual. And if you still incapable of swapping the HDD, you can always use an external drive. I think everyone is capable of plugging in a USB cable.  Keep the PS3 the way it is. Stop with these ridiculously stupid rumors. Drop the price to $500. That's some PS3 news that IS IMPORTANT! 

Then what happens is this. $500 for a 60 GB PS3 with Blu-Ray and Wi-fi built in. OR. $479 for an Xbox 360 Elite with 120 GB of space. You get more HDD space with the Elite, but it still isn't Wi-fi compatible, it doesn't have a HD media format built-in, you still have to pay for Xbox Live, and you don't get media card readers...Plus you need to buy all of their ridiculously expensive proprietary peripherals...$60 for a headset that I can only use with my 360? Yeah right...

The only thing I might want changed with the PS3 is the addition of USB ports on the back of the system. Having cables for my wireless keyboard and mouse and external HDD jut out of the front of my PS3 looks bad. Oh...and Sony, please let me rip my DVD's onto my PS3. Sell a program that would let me do it. Trust me...I would buy it and I know I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

-L-U-I-S-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#37 -L-U-I-S-
Member since 2006 • 3665 Posts

I have a feeling that the new PS3 in development is far more than just a hard drive upgrade.  C'mon people, they wouldn't redesign the thing to add 20 GB to the hard drive.  I think they are going through a redesign of the interal structure to bring the production costs down.  I would not be suprised to see a new PS3 come out, with larger hard drive and HD cabling for the same $599 price point.  Hopefully this is the case.bsager87

Making a new PS3 with an 80GB hadr drive is useless since you can swap the hard drive for a new one or use an external USB HDD.  And we dont need a new PS3 with HDMI cables included, Sony could put those already in the 60GB one

dboy482

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dboy482
Member since 2004 • 202 Posts
80gb? dats naffin, i have a 200gb hard drive just itching 2 b put into my ps3 though im not sure its the right type etc
ghaleon0721

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ghaleon0721
Everyone keeps talking about this like it is some kind of bold move for Sony. People talk about this as if it were a response to the 360 Elite. People act like it's some kind of ploy by Sony to milk more money out of the consumer. I'm afraid it is much less epic than all of that. If it happens (and I believe it will), it will happen a year or more from now. The 60GB model will go away. The 80GB model will come in and replace it. No multiple SKU's. No "Choices". Just a PS3 for $600. That's it. Sony knows that an extra 20 GB isn't going to entice anyone to buy one model over the other. They aren't stupid. PC's have been around for YEARS, so we know that Hard Drive space gets continually cheaper and it does that VERY quickly. Therefore we KNOW that Sony will someday start paying less for their hard drives (if it hasn't happened already). Now ask yourself, what should Sony do about that? Should they pocket the money? Sure they could do that OR...... They are probably saying "Hey, we have Home coming out, we have more demos, more trailers, more online content out there every single day. A few years from now, 60GB just isnt' going to cut it. We're already saving money, let's just reinvest it in the system" Everyone keeps screaming that they want games that use the capacity of the Blu-Ray. But they don't seem to understand that many of these will require partial installs. Oblivion already takes 4.5 GB and that was an Xbox 360 port. Imagine how well Sony would do a few years from now if their system still had 60GB hard drive capacity and people had to upgrade their hard drive every four or five games. Consumers wouldn't stand for that for long. Sony swapping the 60Gb for an 80GB isn't going to change much in the gaming market. I see it as a good PR move, it shows they are INVESTING in the system's future.
svenskamerikan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 svenskamerikan
Member since 2007 • 1408 Posts
ghaleon0721 -- great post - agree 100%. If you people think about it say they drop production costs and people want reduced price all they will do is spend an extra $10 on more hard-drive - keep the price up and be able to "justify" the $599 price tag......
Infinatey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Infinatey
Member since 2006 • 1059 Posts

They already said they didn't have plans for the 80gb model.

The 60gb PS3 already has everything basically......it'd be kind of stupid. It's already top-of-the-line:)

things they might do.

1. Switch out the 90nm chips for thr 65nm chips. I've heard though that the cell has been 65nm all along.

2. Add rumble/sixaxis controllers. Not a big deal because you could just buy 1 in a store.

3. Take out the emotion engine. I for 1 hope they when I get my PS3 (late may-early july), I'll get 1 with the emotion engine. Not sure when they'll start taking these out.....worst case is I'll just look at the boxes, and get the 1 with the earliest manfufacturing date.

4. Take out a heat pipe (this would be done with #1). Because the system would build up less heat......it'd be fine to take 1 out.

Of course...eventually (2-3 years) they'll come out with the slimline. But it'll be the same price as the original, like the slim PS2 was.

They might redesign some of the models so there is a USB port at the back......

They can't do much else, because the 60gb PS3 is already elite. And now that they have dropped the 20gb model......developers will be able to do more with their games, and reduce load times even more.

TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

It's Micro**ft messing with your minds again!

One of their guys managed to find a document that says Sony deposited (?) a patent to develop a 80Gb PS3, but it's just an excuse for their own stupid ELITE and to make PS3 users have doubts about their choice.

The ELITE is just trying to compensate for their lacks : Wifi, bigger HDD, horrible design ...

InfinityNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 InfinityNinja
Member since 2007 • 78 Posts

theres not gona be another ps3,the launch ps3 already have everything if u want more hd space then buy another HD

mgray187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 mgray187
Member since 2007 • 46 Posts

if anyone isn't happy with the hard drive than why don't you just change it.Its not hard to do.I put a 320 G hard drive in mine.It still works fine.I heard some guy in japan put like a 700 or 800 G hard drive in his.thats a bit much but its all in your preferance.

Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts
ok umm why would sony release a new SKU with 80gb when you can just stick a 200gb laptop HDD into the 60gb SKU,think people think,for christ sake thats what that big grey blob of tissue in your head is for.
SolidSnake2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SolidSnake2020
Member since 2006 • 2180 Posts
I don't see the point of having this model unless there are some new features, but if there aren't you can remove the 60 gb with another, so there is no point.
evilbarbarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 evilbarbarian
Member since 2005 • 3883 Posts
20 GB extra? lol.
munsoned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 munsoned
Member since 2006 • 3064 Posts
with the 20 gig gone.it means something.im hoping its a price cut on the 60 gig.no way im paying over 500 bucks for a ps3.
KraigA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 KraigA
Member since 2006 • 677 Posts
Evedently the PS3 uses an ordinary laptop harddrive, so you could jst upgrade your harddrive to what ever size you wanted (within reason)...