The greatest hack n' slash game of all time!

• 112 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for FortifedConcept
FortifedConcept

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FortifedConcept
Member since 2007 • 104 Posts

Which is the greatest hack n' slash game??? The choice is yours..,

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Well, I liked Bayonetta the most. Loved just about everything from that game except for the story. Wasn't bad, but it was little hard to follow at times.

Heavenly Sword was good, but didn't have the length and depth that Bayonetta has. Darksiders is also pretty good, but nothing really new or exciting. Don't like GOW. Never played a DMC game. The Ninja Gaiden Sigma games are good as well.

Mcortijo01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Mcortijo01
Member since 2003 • 2589 Posts

On your list Heveanly Sword but Baldur's Gate is my choice of greatest hack n' slash of all time.

FortifedConcept

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FortifedConcept

Well, I liked Bayonetta the most. Loved just about everything from that game except for the story. Wasn't bad, but it was little hard to follow at times.

Heavenly Sword was good, but didn't have the length and depth that Bayonetta has. Darksiders is also pretty good, but nothing really new or exciting. Don't like GOW. Never played a DMC game. The Ninja Gaiden Sigma games are good as well.

yokofox33
actually the ninja gaiden is a beat 'em up game...
hot_shot_9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 hot_shot_9
Member since 2008 • 1663 Posts

Easily God Of War.

Bayonetta cant compete with kratos, and dante's lost his skill since he went multiplat.

-Rinder-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 -Rinder-
Member since 2008 • 1307 Posts
God of War no doubt.
muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

All hack n slash games are the greatest games of all time.

amsfm6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 amsfm6
Member since 2009 • 2777 Posts

actually the ninja gaiden is a beat 'em up game...FortifedConcept

Oh Ninja Gaiden is definitely a hack n' slash. Darksiders on the other hand, is not. This poll is fail.

Bayonetta really is the greatest pure hack n' slash game though.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

originally it was devil may cry.

my original rankings were DMC 1 > DMC 3 > NGS 2 > GoW 2 > DMC 4 > GoW 1 > NGS 1

but just recently my opinion changed to Bayonetta > DMC 1

I like my hack-n-slashes to be technical and hard with many enemies. I like steep learning curves as well because it makes me work harder to get bigger combos.

my fav combo vids: devil may cry 4|bayonetta

FortifedConcept

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FortifedConcept

[QUOTE="FortifedConcept"] actually the ninja gaiden is a beat 'em up game...amsfm6

Oh Ninja Gaiden is definitely a hack n' slash. Darksiders on the other hand, is not. This poll is fail.

Bayonetta really is the greatest pure hack n' slash game though.

i don't think so...
FortifedConcept

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FortifedConcept

I like my hack-n-slashes to be technical and hard with many enemies. I like steep learning curves as well because it makes me work harder to get bigger combos.

my fav combo vids: devil may cry 4bayonetta

Some-Mist

nice vids

Bioshockraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#13 Bioshockraptor
Member since 2008 • 21483 Posts
DMC, hands down. Nothing can top that for me, as much as I love Bayonetta and God of War.
Urizen5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Urizen5
Member since 2006 • 521 Posts

Are you ignoring the Diablo series? Personally i loved Sacred 2. Maplestory is/was hugely popular.

Your list is very small. Of all Time! You should not have done a poll.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Some-Mist

[QUOTE="Some-Mist"]

FortifedConcept

nice vids

I can watch them all day!

FortifedConcept

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FortifedConcept

[QUOTE="FortifedConcept"]

[QUOTE="Some-Mist"]

Some-Mist

nice vids

I just replaced the bayonetta one because I had the wrong one and the one I just re-linked is way better! but I can watch them all day.

yeah, but they're both crazy vids and crazy games! :)

ForsakenWicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 ForsakenWicked
Member since 2008 • 3745 Posts
I think that would be GoW2 (up to now) and Bayonetta being the runner up.
GingerDeadMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 GingerDeadMan
Member since 2009 • 807 Posts

These games aren't true hack n' slash games, these are over the top action games centered around button mashing. Hack and slash titles are usually action RPGs along the lines of Diablo, Baldur's Gate (Dark Alliance series), Champions of Norrath, etc.

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
Bayonetta, for me. Only hack and slash I've really ever been compelled to play more then once. And I've completed 3 playthroughs already. :P
Eazy1891

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Eazy1891
Member since 2009 • 3089 Posts
You guys seriously don't get enough cutty buddy in ur life if yaw seriously think bayonetta is the best hack n slash game I mean don't get it twisted I like the game to but damn I get enough sex to know that just cuz a game has a girl getting naked in a game doesn't mean its the best of all like seriously guys don't take this the wrong way its just a question but how many of you get some?
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 raven_squad
You guys seriously don't get enough cutty buddy in ur life if yaw seriously think bayonetta is the best hack n slash game I mean don't get it twisted I like the game to but damn I get enough sex to know that just cuz a game has a girl getting naked in a game doesn't mean its the best of all like seriously guys don't take this the wrong way its just a question but how many of you get some?Eazy1891
This is one of the more ridiculous assertations I've read today. The sole appeal of Bayonetta, at least to me, has very little to do with the sex appeal of Bayonetta herself. The gameplay is superior to any other hack and slash game I've played, especially in terms of variety. The excellent selection of weapons sets, and being able to create your own combos of those weapons, the fluidity of the combat, the expansive combo system, the incredibly epic boss fights, the style and the humor all weigh in more on my opinion then the occasional shot of a scantily clad Bayonetta. I'm not even going to bother dignifying your question with an answer though.
MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

I'm split between Devil May Cry,GOW and Ninja Gaiden....Very hard choice...

FortifedConcept

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FortifedConcept

These games aren't true hack n' slash games, these are over the top action games centered around button mashing. Hack and slash titles are usually action RPGs along the lines of Diablo, Baldur's Gate (Dark Alliance series), Champions of Norrath, etc.

GingerDeadMan
you are right about that... we're just used to call these games hack n' slash...
baller72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 baller72
Member since 2007 • 1847 Posts

You guys seriously don't get enough cutty buddy in ur life if yaw seriously think bayonetta is the best hack n slash game I mean don't get it twisted I like the game to but damn I get enough sex to know that just cuz a game has a girl getting naked in a game doesn't mean its the best of all like seriously guys don't take this the wrong way its just a question but how many of you get some?Eazy1891
two thumbs up

baller72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 baller72

[QUOTE="Eazy1891"]You guys seriously don't get enough cutty buddy in ur life if yaw seriously think bayonetta is the best hack n slash game I mean don't get it twisted I like the game to but damn I get enough sex to know that just cuz a game has a girl getting naked in a game doesn't mean its the best of all like seriously guys don't take this the wrong way its just a question but how many of you get some?raven_squad
This is one of the more ridiculous assertations I've read today. The sole appeal of Bayonetta, at least to me, has very little to do with the sex appeal of Bayonetta herself. The gameplay is superior to any other hack and slash game I've played, especially in terms of variety. The excellent selection of weapons sets, and being able to create your own combos of those weapons, the fluidity of the combat, the expansive combo system, the incredibly epic boss fights, the style and the humor all weigh in more on my opinion then the occasional shot of a scantily clad Bayonetta. I'm not even going to bother dignifying your question with an answer though.

Soooo No then???

Just playing just playin

You seem to have legit reasons for liking the game... I just could not get into it because of all the computer generated sex thrown at me.

Wuflungdung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Wuflungdung
Member since 2007 • 634 Posts

You've Left off the original Golden Axe's how?

baller72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 baller72

I can never put them in order... but I like All DMC's, Onimusha, Ninja Gaiden, and God Of War series.

parvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 parvie
Member since 2008 • 2168 Posts

Seriously guys? God of War? Don't get me wrong I am a HUGE GoW fan but Devil may cry 1 had and has no competition in terms of fast-paced, in-yo-face action. I mean how often can you uppercut your enemies into the air and then pump them full of lead with your twin handguns?

ks1990steelman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ks1990steelman
Member since 2009 • 1418 Posts

Because "hack & slash" is quite confusing and I think GΩW isn't a hack & slash game, I am changing the words and saying: the best game with swords and blades is definitely GΩW....

Avatar image for ULTIMATEZWARRIO
ULTIMATEZWARRIO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30 ULTIMATEZWARRIO
Member since 2004 • 6026 Posts
Fail, No Dynasty Warriors. When you say Hack N' Slash, that should be the first that comes to mind. Technically most of the above are Beat 'Em Ups, which are pretty much the same genre, but you can't talk Hack 'N Slash withouy Dynasty Warriors.
FortifedConcept

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FortifedConcept

Because "hack & slash" is quite confusing and I think GΩW isn't a hack & slash game, I am changing the words and saying: the best game with swords and blades is definitely GΩW....

ks1990steelman

lol and handguns :P, thumbs up for Kratos!!!

FortifedConcept

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 FortifedConcept
Fail, No Dynasty Warriors. When you say Hack N' Slash, that should be the first that comes to mind. Technically most of the above are Beat 'Em Ups, which are pretty much the same genre, but you can't talk Hack 'N Slash withouy Dynasty Warriors.ULTIMATEZWARRIO
the closest term for these games would probably be over the top action, if not hack n' slash...
FortifedConcept

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FortifedConcept

imagine a battle between dante and kratos or nero and kratos... a cataclysmic duel between those two ultra powerful forces would be like hell!!

Doomtime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Doomtime
Member since 2004 • 4282 Posts
Champions of Norrath
Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts
And you forgot Ninja Gaiden?!? :( It doesn't matter for me though as God Of War is #1 (NGS is 2nd).
jiggaloj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jiggaloj
Member since 2006 • 4345 Posts

You almost have to put Dynasty Warriors on there. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't DW one of the first 3D beat em' up games for the PS2? With that said, I love Bayonetta, DMC, and Heavenly Sword. Hack n' slash games are my kind of games. ;)

crazypal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 crazypal
Member since 2005 • 535 Posts

it's God of War in my book. the character , the levels, the story , the friendly fighting system that can kick your butt if you so wished "god mode". it just does everything right for me and I can't wait to put my hands on the third one :)

Prince-Noctis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Prince-Noctis
Member since 2009 • 1271 Posts

Before God of War, Bayonetta, Darksiders and Heavenly Sword there was Devil May Cry the original and the best!

FortifedConcept

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FortifedConcept

it's God of War in my book. the character , the levels, the story , the friendly fighting system that can kick your butt if you so wished "god mode". it just does everything right for me and I can't wait to put my hands on the third one :)

crazypal

me too!!!!! :D

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Some-Mist

GingerDeadMan

action-rpgs are action-rpgs..such as Diablo, Baldur's Gate, Star Ocean, Demon's Souls, Muramasa, etc..You can 'mash' in GoW and DMC games, but all you mainly have to do is mash mouse 1 and 2 in diablo.

Also, it depends on how you play it. As I stated you're right, you could button mash in those games and I take it that you do, however, it's much more rewarding to be precise (see the videos I posted). Over the top action games? sure I'd say that fits the description, but it doesn't mean those games aren't hack-n-slash.

darksiders is a weird game. Yes the combat plays like a hack-n-slash, but it's a zelda-esqe adventure game at heart, It sorta mixes a bunch of genres into one.

FortifedConcept

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 FortifedConcept

[QUOTE="GingerDeadMan"]

Some-Mist

action-rpgs are action-rpgs..such as Diablo, Baldur's Gate, Star Ocean, Demon's Souls, Muramasa, etc..You can 'mash' in GoW and DMC games, but all you mainly have to do is mash mouse 1 and 2 in diablo.

Also, it depends on how you play it. As I stated you're right, you could button mash in those games and I take it that you do, however, it's much more rewarding to be precise (see the videos I posted). Over the top action games? sure I'd say that fits the description, but it doesn't mean those games aren't hack-n-slash.

darksiders is a weird game. Yes the combat plays like a hack-n-slash, but it's a zelda-esqe adventure game at heart, It sorta mixes a bunch of genres into one.

CORRECT. It is much more rewarding to be able to perform crazy multi hit combos in such games through precise button mashing... that's what makes them different from other simple button mashing games, that's why they have won our hearts! ;)

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#42 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts

I can't believe some people have voted for Heavenly Sword. HS is one of the worst games I've ever played. I hate it with a deep, intense, burning fire of rage. Lol. But seriously, HS is crap. God of War got my vote.

Avatar image for Nyxathid_Horror
Nyxathid_Horror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Nyxathid_Horror
Member since 2009 • 315 Posts

GoW, hands down. The rest just can't compete; Especially a game about a girl that wears her hair as a suit... =P

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 raven_squad

I can't believe some people have voted for Heavenly Sword. HS is one of the worst games I've ever played. I hate it with a deep, intense, burning fire of rage. Lol. But seriously, HS is crap. God of War got my vote.

x-2tha-z
Heavenly Sword has some of the best voice acting and animation (especially facial animation) of any game ever made, in my opinion.
crazypal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 crazypal

[QUOTE="x-2tha-z"]

raven_squad

Heavenly Sword has some of the best voice acting and animation (especially facial animation) of any game ever made, in my opinion.

agreed. the voice acting was incredible I couldn't believe it. I thought no game would ever come to do a better job in voice acting department but then came uncharted ...
how wrong were I :lol:

FortifedConcept

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 FortifedConcept

[QUOTE="raven_squad"][QUOTE="x-2tha-z"]

crazypal

agreed. the voice acting was incredible I couldn't believe it. I thought no game would ever come to do a better job in voice acting department but then came uncharted ...

assassin's creed had some of the most incredible voice acting ever, i mean c'mon... i just love listening to Ezio when he says his requiem ****''bye bye'' every time he assassinates a target :D

FortifedConcept

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 FortifedConcept

[QUOTE="crazypal"]

[QUOTE="raven_squad"] Heavenly Sword has some of the best voice acting and animation (especially facial animation) of any game ever made, in my opinion. FortifedConcept

assassin's creed had some of the most incredible voice acting ever, i mean c'mon... i just love listening to Ezio when he says his requiem ****''bye bye'' every time he assassinates a target :D

sry... i meant AC2 :P

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts
WTH! Why is GOW winning? Look I know everyone is really excited about GOW3 but that doesn't mean it's the best hack n' slash game ever. As far as Im concerned Devil May Cry was the pioneer of the genre, maybe there were hack games before it but DMC really exploded the genre into the 21st century. My god was that game awesome, still stacks up well today I gotta say and Dante is the best character of the decade!
taplok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#49 taplok
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

Ninja Gaiden Sigma.

crazypal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 crazypal

WTH! Why is GOW winning? Look I know everyone is really excited about GOW3 but that doesn't mean it's the best hack n' slash game ever. As far as Im concerned Devil May Cry was the pioneer of the genre, maybe there were hack games before it but DMC really exploded the genre into the 21st century. My god was that game awesome, still stacks up well today I gotta say and Dante is the best character of the decade!Swift_Boss_A

man calm down :) I do agree that devil may cry was the first to "Explode" the genre although you might wanna consider onimusha, I mean the setting, the devils, the red orbs for upgrading weapons and green one for health, all this craziness really started with onimusha, the other games just made things quicker.
we're not talking who did things first, we're talking the best. and even so don't let others opinions upset you. you think it's the best and that what counts :)