Square's Betryal...What does it mean for Sony and ps3..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

digi198816

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 digi198816
Member since 2003 • 145 Posts

So..i got a ps3 for a few exclusives which included FFXIII and Versus.

I didn't think Squareenix would bring it on 360 considering how much Sony has helped them in the past. They practically helped Square to become a recognized company after the failure of their first few games.

But Square has betrayed Sony before, so they were bound to do it again. I remember when Crystal chronicles came out for gamecube, it was a shock since Square had a deal with Sony to exclusivly make games for the PS system.

Sony has been dealt a huge blow, i would not be surprised if Versus was a timed exclusive or if Kingdom hearts and other square games also ended up on 360. Right now, sony really needs to work on getting some good exclusives..

IMHO, RE2 and Killzone 2 are way too overhyped..they might be good games but i doubt they would be good enuf to rival shooters* such as Gears of war. But only time will tell...

Sony is in a tough spot right now..they gotta pull their **** together and bring out some big guns.

TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts

Were you not in to gaming/not alive when Square turned their backs on Nintendo? They were a big name company long before they went to Sony.

This was to be expected. Square goes where they thing the money is, and right now the money is in multi-plats.

Kingdom Hearts III will be a Wii game to be perfectly honest.

fastgamer01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 fastgamer01
Member since 2003 • 692 Posts

Well since Square fused with Enix so far to me lots of things have gone downhill E.G FFX-2 and FFXII. But it is early days maybe they cut a deal with sony regarding remakes of FF7 and FF8 i reckon sony knew about this move a long time ago just like GTA4. and made a deal of somesort.

The only thing i hope is that the game is not scaled down in anyway to make it fit on one xbox dvd disc.

SoyUnPerdedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SoyUnPerdedor
Member since 2006 • 426 Posts
Failure of their first few games?
ejstrup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 ejstrup
Member since 2005 • 2192 Posts

The only thing i hope is that the game is not scaled down in anyway to make it fit on one xbox dvd disc.

fastgamer01

That's my biggest concern aswell. I hope they'll fully optimize the game for the PS3 and then port it to the 360. Otherwise I'll be wondering if the game could have been better if it was developed for PS3 only :/

woofie13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 woofie13
Member since 2007 • 841 Posts
Gears is an FPS?
j-bldes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 j-bldes
Member since 2003 • 443 Posts

1. Versus is still an exclusive.

2. It wasn't a crushing blow. I think your overreacting. Wow 90% of the people here are FF fans? Please only fan boys are obsessing over it. It's been over rated for a long time and we have yet to see gameplay footage.

3. Uhhh you think MS is complaining about loosing Last Reminant? No. Because they knew they were getting FFXIII in exchange. I'm seriously questioning the views of people here viewing one game to be the gold mine of the Ps3. Because I didn't damn sure buy my console for FFXIII and probably won't either. So please, save the "Sony is loosing" motief ffs.

And it's not a betrayal. It's called marketing. Instead of worrying about games that might be good when they haven't fully unlocked the full potential of the Ps3 focus on the games that come out when the Ps3 has been tapped into.

And if you say we have to worry about the all mighty line up the Xbox has, I think I'll be fine. Gears 2? Looks like gears 1. Sure you are entitled to your oppinion, but seriously, I think Sony will be fine greater than the demographic you have painted for us.

oldscratch82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 oldscratch82
Member since 2008 • 168 Posts
It means there is offcially no reason at all now..(maybe MGS4) to own a ps3. I'm quite angry that I bought a ps3 thinking it was going to be the system for japanese rpg's and final fantasy and all the drool cups mindlessly spouting off HALO DIZAWG!!111!11 could just stay on their xbox. But with the biggest and best maker of JRPGs out there jumping ship I wasted 600 bucks.
SoyUnPerdedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SoyUnPerdedor
Member since 2006 • 426 Posts

It means there is offcially no reason at all now..(maybe MGS4) to own a ps3. I'm quite angry that I bought a ps3 thinking it was going to be the system for japanese rpg's and final fantasy and all the drool cups mindlessly spouting off HALO DIZAWG!!111!11 could just stay on their xbox. But with the biggest and best maker of JRPGs out there jumping ship I wasted 600 bucks. oldscratch82

It would have made a lot more sense to buy your ps3 AFTER that game you really wanted came out.

ONLYDOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 ONLYDOD
Member since 2006 • 6026 Posts
It's not like Square Enix are the only developer out there who make good RPG's. Sure they might be supporting Microsoft more right now, if it bothers you that much go buy a 360.
Foxhound_spy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Foxhound_spy
Member since 2007 • 658 Posts

2. It wasn't a crushing blow. I think your overreacting. Wow 90% of the people here are FF fans? Please only fan boys are obsessing over it. It's been over rated for a long time and we have yet to see gameplay footage.

3. Uhhh you think MS is complaining about loosing Last Reminant? No. Because they knew they were getting FFXIII in exchange. I'm seriously questioning the views of people here viewing one game to be the gold mine of the Ps3. Because I didn't damn sure buy my console for FFXIII and probably won't either. So please, save the "Sony is loosing" motief ffs.

And it's not a betrayal. It's called marketing. Instead of worrying about games that might be good when they haven't fully unlocked the full potential of the Ps3 focus on the games that come out when the Ps3 has been tapped into.

And if you say we have to worry about the all mighty line up the Xbox has, I think I'll be fine. Gears 2? Looks like gears 1. Sure you are entitled to your oppinion, but seriously, I think Sony will be fine greater than the demographic you have painted for us.

j-bldes

Ummm The last Remnant is multipat title. SE never confirm it as 360 exclusive......

bat235

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bat235
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

heh..heard dthat, friend

j-bldes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 j-bldes

It means there is offcially no reason at all now..(maybe MGS4) to own a ps3. I'm quite angry that I bought a ps3 thinking it was going to be the system for japanese rpg's and final fantasy and all the drool cups mindlessly spouting off HALO DIZAWG!!111!11 could just stay on their xbox. But with the biggest and best maker of JRPGs out there jumping ship I wasted 600 bucks. oldscratch82

Sigh you didn't waste 600 bucks. You weren't just thinking. Everyone has their own personal views, and teh Ps3 isn't ment for everyone. It's ment for real gamers. Maybe you should try a Wii or an Arcade Xbox 360? I heard it comes with Uno. That is a really killer game.

SageJMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 SageJMP
Member since 2004 • 4210 Posts

As mentioned above, it isn't like we lost Final Fantasy 13, we still get to play it.

And for good news, Eternal Sonata finally got confirmed to be released in the US for the PS3 this fall. We still got disgaea and valkyria chronicles coming out this year. We still got white knight and versus 13.

imchris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 imchris
Member since 2003 • 80 Posts
Why are people saying losing FFXIII isn't a big deal. This is madness! You mention a good point though. Many developers haven't took advantage of the potential the PS3 has to offer. It's because of this why the PS3 will reign supreme. Better system, period. Online interface is no doubt the best. Has the most mature gamers. Has exclusives to justify paying $600 for. I mean, in one theory: why else would Square bother making FF for the 360? I own both systems and I don't regret either investments. But I gotta be honest, man. We've been riding on this, "Let's wait 'till developers..." for awhile now.
carneyfolk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 carneyfolk
Member since 2006 • 608 Posts

Umm, you guys seriously need to relax. it's not like ff13 is now a MS exclusive, ps3 si still getting it, along with a number of other rpg's. Additionally, wait for TGS, the reason MS showed their rpg hand is because they will have little to no interest in attending TGS, since they effectivly gave up on japan. Which they should, they have only sold like 600k units there.

Seriously, take a valium and just relax, ff13 isnt going anywhere, it is just paying a visit to MS, and as of now, vs is still ps3 only, and imo sounds like it is going to be better then 13.

MusashiSensi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#17 MusashiSensi
Member since 2004 • 9584 Posts

So..i got a ps3 for a few exclusives which included FFXIII and Versus.

I didn't think Squareenix would bring it on 360 considering how much Sony has helped them in the past. They practically helped Square to become a recognized company after the failure of their first few games.

But Square has betrayed Sony before, so they were bound to do it again. I remember when Crystal chronicles came out for gamecube, it was a shock since Square had a deal with Sony to exclusivly make games for the PS system.

Sony has been dealt a huge blow, i would not be surprised if Versus was a timed exclusive or if Kingdom hearts and other square games also ended up on 360. Right now, sony really needs to work on getting some good exclusives..

IMHO, RE2 and Killzone 2 are way too overhyped..they might be good games but i doubt they would be good enuf to rival shooters* such as Gears of war. But only time will tell...

Sony is in a tough spot right now..they gotta pull their **** together and bring out some big guns.

digi198816

You're making this a bigger issue than what it needs to be. Square enix's betrayal? Huh? Lets be adults and look at the issue as adults and not kids.

trophylocoste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 trophylocoste
Member since 2006 • 8454 Posts
Its buisness man
j-bldes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 j-bldes
[QUOTE="j-bldes"]

Foxhound_spy

Ummm The last Remnant is multipat title. SE never confirm it as 360 exclusive......

Uhhh I read a while back that it was an Xbox timed exclusive. I never really payed attention to the game, a friend of mine told me it was an xbox exclusive, then I read that it was Timed Exclusive. So if I had gotten the information wrong, my bad but I was going on 2 diffrent people and several articles saying so. Further more, It's not like it wasn't going to go to xbox 360 regardless. All those exclusives already and they couldn't see this? Square sold out faster than japanese panties at a vending machine near a FFVII shrine.

ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

Betrayal? Oi, if anything they "betrayed" Nintendo. Since all Final Fantasy games up until 7 were on Nintendo systems, not Sony ones. But there is no real betrayal period. Square is gaming company. They develop for whichever system(s) they believe is the most profitable at the time. The reason they switched to Sony in the first place was not just because discs could hold more... it was because they cost so much less. Smaller overhead = greater profits. Then later on they stuck with Sony again because the PS2 had the largest install base. PS3 on the other hand doesn't really offer any of the benefits that SE saw in previous Sony systems.

j-bldes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 j-bldes

Why are people saying losing FFXIII isn't a big deal. This is madness! You mention a good point though. Many developers haven't took advantage of the potential the PS3 has to offer. It's because of this why the PS3 will reign supreme. Better system, period. Online interface is no doubt the best. Has the most mature gamers. Has exclusives to justify paying $600 for. I mean, in one theory: why else would Square bother making FF for the 360? I own both systems and I don't regret either investments. But I gotta be honest, man. We've been riding on this, "Let's wait 'till developers..." for awhile now. imchris

Well all my comedy comes from real life, so don't thank me, thank those who make it possible. And the reason we have been riding on this "Let's wait 'til developers..." is because they haven't gotten on the ball yet. When they actually get off their arses and do the job thats when we will stop saying it. Until then, it will keep being said as many times as there are topics about FFXIII not being an exclusive anymore.

Avatar image for functioningbadl
functioningbadl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 functioningbadl
Member since 2005 • 111 Posts

It is very unlikely that a single game like FFXIII will take down Sony. Look at GTA4, that was way bigger than FFXIII but the PS3 is still here. Too much over-reacting by some gamers here.

Square has never been the same since the merge with Enix. Their yearly projection has been steadily going down so it is not really a surprise that they want to get their latest game to more audience to get more profits. Such is nature of business.

I've been seeing some comments that FFXIII is the only reason they want a PS3 so now their going over to 360. Anyone willing to spend $400 on a piece of hardware just to play a single game they can finish in 12-15 hours is plain stupid. It's like buying a house and just live in it for a day.

Squenix dealt a big blow to Sony but not something to cry about. Sony showed some great games today, let's be happy that we have those.

imchris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 imchris
Member since 2003 • 80 Posts
Correct, carneyfolk. Good point in mentioning MS has literally no fanbase in Japan. It's almost as if this was something they desperately needed. Mass Effect, holds a good fortune but so much for that, eh? All in all, this just shows the 360 isn't going anywhere, which is good for gamers, allows for more variety of games and new IPs. I'm sure GoW 2/3 will be hyped as much as Halo, MS needs more trick up their sleeves -- the incredible lineup is running thin, although, it's there.
demoman314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#24 demoman314
Member since 2004 • 898 Posts
Killzone 2 overhyped? Say that to their budget which is equalling out to over 40 million dollars...Resistance 2 overhyped? Tell me where you find the things making it overhyped and also, did you play the first one? it was great for a launch! You really need some happy pills. THEY ARE ONLY VIDEO GAMES
carneyfolk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 carneyfolk
Member since 2006 • 608 Posts
Aye, you know MS gave up on japan, they didnt even bother to get ff13 rights for there, only N/A and Europe. That might have helped, but probably wouldnt have been worth it.