So...the PS3 launched in Europe..but the price?!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Helpomer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Helpomer
Member since 2004 • 94 Posts

In here Estonia, the Playstation 3 console, 60gb costs 920$!!

And one game is 94$.

Extra controller is 65$.

What the hell?

I was so hoping to get one for like 700$ or so .. why does Sony screw us so much? =(

DoggySpew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 DoggySpew
Member since 2003 • 2069 Posts

And one game is 94$.

Extra controller is 65$.

What the hell?

I was so hoping to get one for like 700$ or so .. why does Sony screw us so much? =(

Helpomer

It is economics that really screw us. The X360 is also MUCH cheaper in the US then here. Same with the Wii. It is just not Sony alone.

lusitanogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lusitanogamer
Member since 2006 • 9338 Posts
That's not Sony's fault.
Arch_Angel_21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Arch_Angel_21
Member since 2006 • 1493 Posts
Yeah but they ain't going to sell fast at that price. Hell I went into my local GAME store and they said they still had some left so you had to hurray and that was about 3:00pm on a Saturday, the day after it's release.
-Saul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 -Saul
Member since 2006 • 1072 Posts
[QUOTE="Helpomer"]

And one game is 94$.

Extra controller is 65$.

What the hell?

DoggySpew

It is economics that really screw us. The X360 is also MUCH cheaper in the US then here. Same with the Wii. It is just not Sony alone.

Not completely true. Sony loses more money on each unit they sell in the US then units they sell here in Europe. So basically, offering a 900 dollar system for 600 dollars or offering the same 900 dollar system for 800 dollars does make a difference in price. They could have chosen to also ask 600 dollars here. Meaning it would cost only 450 euro's.

Yet, they chose to sell it for basically more money. So do Microsoft and Nintendo for that matter. This economics talk has nearly nothing to do with it all. Fact remains all three company's earn more money on each system sold in Europe then in the US. Why they do it is pretty much beyond me. Sure, shipping costs add in but that doesn't make such a huge difference.

_Xeauz_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 _Xeauz_
Member since 2006 • 130 Posts
I think the PS3 cost way to much, and then I found out that sony actually LOOSES money from each one, its pretty expensive stuff.
_Xeauz_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 _Xeauz_
Member since 2006 • 130 Posts
I think the PS3 cost way to much, and then I found out that sony actually LOOSES money from each one, its pretty expensive stuff.
CountZer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CountZer0
Member since 2003 • 81 Posts
Here in Greece ps3 costs 870$ (656E). It's frustrating though, because in the US where the wages are easily 3 times higher than Greece, it has a lower price. Anyway, i'll get it sooner or later, I'll be patient until 16 of April to see if i'll win it in a contest, lol.
_Tobli_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 _Tobli_
Member since 2007 • 5733 Posts
[QUOTE="Helpomer"]

And one game is 94$.

Extra controller is 65$.

What the hell?

DoggySpew

Then why does the 360 premium cost less than half of what the PS3 does? Even the Wii costs more than the 360 premium :?

SOHAIB_MINHAS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SOHAIB_MINHAS
Member since 2004 • 340 Posts

I think the PS3 cost way to much, and then I found out that sony actually LOOSES money from each one, its pretty expensive stuff._Xeauz_

Yea sony do loose money on the ps3 but the same was happening when the PS2 was first released...granted they didnt loose $1.5 bil but still the point is that they can make the money back through blu-ray movies, games etc etc.

Bannsai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Bannsai
Member since 2005 • 36 Posts

I not sure if this is the case for rest of europe but from where i am (in Sweden) we have mutch higher tax rate 25% and mayby customs add to the higher price. The result is ps3 costing 6500SEK = 930USD  and then add 2 games for 1000SEK = 143USD and a nice HDMI cabel for 200SEK = 28USD

All together cost 1101 USD! (Gamespot says 600 is "a bit pricy" for most poeple.)

PS2 was pricy here to when it shiped 4500SEK + mem card 500SEK = 5000SEK = 716USD

We also have the PAL curse & 15% tax for online gaming... sucks living in europe and being an gamer :(

magrappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 magrappy
Member since 2003 • 1835 Posts
When you factor in the price of the extra wireless adaptor, xbox360 launch games where £10 more, and the money to play online games for a year on the xbox360 i paid less for my ps3 launch pack then my xbox360 pack. Then add in the fact that it has a 60 gig hard drive not 20gig, blueray dvd player and all round better connectivity with all my music devices and blue tooth items i cant see why anyone would complain about its price. I have yet to touch on its amazing game power, its well worth the money.