Sony: "It Only Does Everything, but you can't play you're PS2 games. SORRY.

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Andonn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Andonn
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
What are your guys opinions about this not so next gen console that I bought? I can't even play MGS3. What a rip-off. They managed to fit a BLU-RAY, INTERNET BROWSER, CORE PROCESSOR, etc. etc. But not backwards compatibility? Can anyone explains Sony's stupidity to me? It's been bothering me for a while now.
-Hoax-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 -Hoax-
Member since 2008 • 5331 Posts
PS3 PHAT 20GB, 60GB and 80gb with 4 usb ports all have BC...they removed BC because its was costing them to much or something like that.
GrandJury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GrandJury
Member since 2009 • 15396 Posts
WOW. Level 1, 3 post. Not a good way to start off man.
Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#4 Young_Charter
Member since 2009 • 20067 Posts
WOW. Level 1, 3 post. Not a good way to start off man.GrandJury
:P.....lol
tommyas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 tommyas
Member since 2007 • 2594 Posts
What are your guys opinions about this not so next gen console that I bought? I can't even play MGS3. What a rip-off. They managed to fit a BLU-RAY, INTERNET BROWSER, CORE PROCESSOR, etc. etc. But not backwards compatibility? Can anyone explains Sony's stupidity to me? It's been bothering me for a while now.Andonn
You knew it before you bought the console right? Play PS2 games on PS2. There are a few HD collections on the way for PS3 i suppose but thats not what you want apparently.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

But the PS3 does play PS2 games... you just need a 20GB, 60GB, or older 80GB model.

And you're complaining about a next-gen system and how non-next-gen it is because some models can't play (or rather remove the function to play) LAST gen games? I know this thread is meant to bash the PS3, but come on now, think a little bit.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
It's odd how people buy a Slim and their first question is "Does it play PS2 games" when clearly all over the world it is one of the most obvious questions as it is stated on basically every website that sells a PS3 slim and it is also stated in every catalogue that is does not have B/C. So my question is "Why are people so ignorant as to whether it plays PS2 games or not, when clearly they make no effort to read the product details?".
ReaperV7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ReaperV7
Member since 2008 • 6756 Posts
I can play my ps2 games on my ps3 8)....and my friend who has a 80gb. 8)
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#9 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
More like "it only used to do everything". Lesse, what have people lost since the launch units...?
  1. Backward Compatibility
  2. Flash memory slots
  3. Half the available USB ports
  4. OtherOS/Linux support
Oh, and what have we gained thus far? - 3D (if you buy one of sony's over-priced TV's and glasses :roll: ) - the PS Eye (overpriced camera) - PS Move - effectively paying the price of a Wii, to play games that were already on the Wii since its launch. Whoop-de-freaking-do!
It's odd how people buy a Slim and their first question is "Does it play PS2 games" when clearly all over the world it is one of the most obvious questions as it is stated on basically every website that sells a PS3 slim and it is also stated in every catalogue that is does not have B/C. So my question is "Why are people so ignorant as to whether it plays PS2 games or not, when clearly they make no effort to read the product details?".JohnF111
Sony set themselves up for this from the beginning. With the PS2, BC was a humongous selling point. So it was naturally expected to continue with the PS3. And unlike Microsoft, Sony does own all the IP to the hardware and software tech in the prior models of PlayStation. So they really don't have any valid excuse to remove it. It can't honestly cost them that much to retain the functionality, so who's the corporate jerkoff that chose to get rid of it in the first place?
nick35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nick35
Member since 2003 • 47 Posts

Buy a ps2 if you want to play ps2 games.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 codezer0

nick35
PS2 games look like ass on a high def TV, especially on a real PS2. And at least if you have a unit with BC, most of those games look much better on the PS3, even when using the same sets of video cables.
evilmaster2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 evilmaster2424
Member since 2009 • 2060 Posts
is this thread gona happen everyday. i think sony shouldjust bring back BC so people can stop complaining about it
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 codezer0
is this thread gona happen everyday. i think sony shouldjust bring back BC so people can stop complaining about itevilmaster2424
and OtherOS too. Hell, I think part of the reason so many are trying to hack the **** out of the PS3 now is because removing it pissed off all the wrong kind of people. But yea, I'm in full agreement there. As it is for me now, I'm more terrified of my PS3 tanking on me than I am of the 360.
GrandJury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GrandJury
Member since 2009 • 15396 Posts
[QUOTE="evilmaster2424"]is this thread gona happen everyday. i think sony shouldjust bring back BC so people can stop complaining about itcodezer0
and OtherOS too. Hell, I think part of the reason so many are trying to hack the **** out of the PS3 now is because removing it pissed off all the wrong kind of people. But yea, I'm in full agreement there. As it is for me now, I'm more terrified of my PS3 tanking on me than I am of the 360.

You seem to only post when there is some sort of PS3 BC topic. Let it go.
d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#15 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

What are your guys opinions about this not so next gen console that I bought? I can't even play MGS3. What a rip-off. They managed to fit a BLU-RAY, INTERNET BROWSER, CORE PROCESSOR, etc. etc. But not backwards compatibility? Can anyone explains Sony's stupidity to me? It's been bothering me for a while now.Andonn

Just get over it. That's what I did.

I held off on buying a PS3 because of the compatibility issue but you know at the end of the day, if you're a PS2 fan, you already have a PS2 and I'm not sure about you, but I bought the PS3 to play PS3 games.

There are so many great PS3 games that I haven't played yet that I think it'll be a long while before I go back to my PS2.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#16 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

My opinion is that we've known this for years now. If it's that big of a deal, take it back to the store and get a refund.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts
so it's "not so next gen" (it's current gen btw) because it doesn't play LAST gen games?
ShadowedSight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ShadowedSight
Member since 2008 • 1902 Posts

People complain about the price of a BC PS3, but really its just about the same price as a new slim.

If it's really worth it to you, you'll pay it and upgrade the harddrive.

jack00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jack00
Member since 2006 • 4265 Posts
It's odd how people buy a Slim and their first question is "Does it play PS2 games" when clearly all over the world it is one of the most obvious questions as it is stated on basically every website that sells a PS3 slim and it is also stated in every catalogue that is does not have B/C. So my question is "Why are people so ignorant as to whether it plays PS2 games or not, when clearly they make no effort to read the product details?".JohnF111
The TC doesn't want to know if the slim is BC, he wnats to know why sony removed because he, and many others thinks it was a stupid thing to do.
Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Texas2089
Member since 2003 • 16490 Posts
One of MY PS3's can play PS2 games so I see no problem with their marketing ;) They took it out to make the system cheaper to make, and therefore cheaper for the consumer. If there was still BC in it you'd still be paying at least $400 for a PS3. So for that extra $100 you WOULD have payed if there was still BC, buy a PS2. There. problem solved.
GamingBoy2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#21 GamingBoy2009
Member since 2005 • 1651 Posts

The PS3 not being backwards compatable is unfortunate but its a small gripe for me. I still have a PS2 and I play PS2 games on that one. Im loving my PS3 right now. Im using a newer 80GB model. But I do think the phrase "It only does everything" is misleading. Im suprised that this topic hasnt been locked by a moderator yet because this looks more like a system wars topic.

IAMTHEVIPQUEEN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 IAMTHEVIPQUEEN
Member since 2009 • 723 Posts

Having played PS3, and with its great library of games, I can't bring myself to play PS2 games anymore

RogueShodown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RogueShodown
Member since 2009 • 2818 Posts

[QUOTE="JohnF111"]It's odd how people buy a Slim and their first question is "Does it play PS2 games" when clearly all over the world it is one of the most obvious questions as it is stated on basically every website that sells a PS3 slim and it is also stated in every catalogue that is does not have B/C. So my question is "Why are people so ignorant as to whether it plays PS2 games or not, when clearly they make no effort to read the product details?".jack00
The TC doesn't want to know if the slim is BC, he wnats to know why sony removed because he, and many others thinks it was a stupid thing to do.

So you think it's stupid for Sony to remove BC from the PS3 when A) they were losing a lot of money on every PS3 sold at the time and B)PS2s were selling well enough to still be manufactured.

@codezer0

You know that you can add USB slots and memory card readers to solve 2 of those issues, right? Sony had no choice but to remove Other OS support from the PS3 due to the concerns of pirating. They couldn't just take the PSP route and roll out a firmware every time there was a new exploit, which obviously wasn't working. I expect them to add BC, if at all, after they stop producing PS2s and/or when they see PS3 sales start to slow down. It's a feature I really wanted, but there was enough reason for me to buy the PS3 at the time for the $300.

Narroo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Narroo
Member since 2006 • 2165 Posts

[QUOTE="jack00"][QUOTE="JohnF111"]It's odd how people buy a Slim and their first question is "Does it play PS2 games" when clearly all over the world it is one of the most obvious questions as it is stated on basically every website that sells a PS3 slim and it is also stated in every catalogue that is does not have B/C. So my question is "Why are people so ignorant as to whether it plays PS2 games or not, when clearly they make no effort to read the product details?".RogueShodown

So you think it's stupid for Sony to remove BC from the PS3 when A) they were losing a lot of money on every PS3 sold at the time and B)PS2s were selling well enough to still be manufactured.

@codezer0

You know that you can add USB slots and memory card readers to solve 2 of those issues, right? Sony had no choice but to remove Other OS support from the PS3 due to the concerns of pirating. They couldn't just take the PSP route and roll out a firmware every time there was a new exploit, which obviously wasn't working. I expect them to add BC, if at all, after they stop producing PS2s and/or when they see PS3 sales start to slow down. It's a feature I really wanted, but there was enough reason for me to buy the PS3 at the time for the $300.

Not necessarily, there was strong reason to believe that the exploit would lead to piracy. The exploit was mainly to free up access on other OS so people could do more with it, though a firmware hack would have been nice too. Some people believe that it was mainly an excuse to remove otherOS, so that people wanting to develop for the Cell would have to buy Sony's much more expensive super computers. It's a moot point now, the PS3 has been hacked, using the USB ports of all things. Will they give us OtherOS back now?
WolfBlackRiver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 WolfBlackRiver
Member since 2009 • 250 Posts

everything accually never really means everything! when someone says what type of music they fancy they might say "everything" but surely they dont listen to Polka! dont get so worked up on it...PS2 is a last gen system which still sells well...soooo go out and get a cheap used PS2 Slim if you are that much in a hurry to play PS2 games.

LightR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LightR
Member since 2009 • 17739 Posts
I paid $700 for my PS3, how much did you pay? They took it out to lower the price and you'd probably be complaining either way.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

I've got two PS2s, they work fine, and I have them on standard def TVs, so they look great. BC is over-rated and totally unneccesary, in my opinion. Not that it means squat. But I love my PS2s, and I play them almost more than I play m PS3... been on a super hero game binge lately... "Ultimate Spiderman" is AWE-SOME!!!

:D

I think that BC may become available to the masses again when they stop selling PS2 hardware, but until that time yer outa luck... and harping on it endlessly is really, REALLY pointless. But go ahead, blather away. Sony will sit and fiddle as Rome burns...

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

I've got two PS2s, they work fine, and I have them on standard def TVs, so they look great. BC is over-rated and totally unneccesary, in my opinion. Not that it means squat. But I love my PS2s, and I play them almost more than I play m PS3... been on a super hero game binge lately... "Ultimate Spiderman" is AWE-SOME!!!

I think that BC may become available to the masses again when they stop selling PS2 hardware, but until that time yer outa luck... and harping on it endlessly is really, REALLY pointless. But go ahead, blather away. Sony will sit and fiddle as Rome burns...

MonkeySpot
send me one of your ps2s :twisted:
Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Texas2089
Member since 2003 • 16490 Posts
[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

MethodManFTW
send me one of your ps2s :twisted:

Yes Monkeyman. Please do. This child desperately needs to play Persona 4 :P
Vader993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Vader993
Member since 2010 • 7533 Posts

buy a ps2 its like 30 bucks

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

^ this

We had those therd about a million times, use the search function >__>

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

B-B-B-But... if I send you-all my PS2s, whaddam I supposed to play on?

:?

I'd have-ta give up my Spiderman, Hulk, all my Lara Croft...

... I'd be LOST, I tells ya... LOST!

:lol:

I honestly do play an awful lot of PS2 titles still, even though they don't have trophies or HD graphics, blah blah blah, they are still great games. I don't think I go a day without playing PS2 titles. My PS3 gets some love, but since I bought my PS3 I think I still play more PS2 games. I still buy them, too. Nothing like scoring the game you wanted back when it came out for under $5 now!!! I should take a picture of my set-up... 5 32" SD televisions, two PS2s, an original Xbox, a GameCube, and a Dreamcast... step right up, no waiting! It's like a home console arcade. My friends always wanna party at MY house!

LoL

lordfalsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lordfalsus
Member since 2010 • 527 Posts

yea i got over this along time ago... i mean just buy a ps2 or a bc model. even tho i cant play ps2 games i enjoy psn and ps1 classics and all the great ps3 exclusives so im not tripping. TC came in here like we were gonna praise him like he just came down from the sky and enlightened us.

Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#34 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts

i don't understand this. why don't you go and get a PS2 if you want to play PS2 games?

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

i don't understand this. why don't you go and get a PS2 if you want to play PS2 games?

just_nonplussed
i will answer for my personally. there are 2 ps2 games i want to play. im not going to buy a ps2 to play 2 games.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#36 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Misleading quote.

Tigerman950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37 Tigerman950
Member since 2005 • 2517 Posts

Dig out your old PS2....

jack00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jack00
Member since 2006 • 4265 Posts

[QUOTE="jack00"][QUOTE="JohnF111"]It's odd how people buy a Slim and their first question is "Does it play PS2 games" when clearly all over the world it is one of the most obvious questions as it is stated on basically every website that sells a PS3 slim and it is also stated in every catalogue that is does not have B/C. So my question is "Why are people so ignorant as to whether it plays PS2 games or not, when clearly they make no effort to read the product details?".RogueShodown

Yes i do, could of stop making ps2, people would of bought more ps3s to play both ps2 and ps3, and event heir old psone games.
red-ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39 red-ray
Member since 2008 • 882 Posts
Sony is omitting features step by step, two usb ports then backward compatibility and last of them other OS, maybe someday they drop game support thoroughly.:D
Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#40 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts

Sony is omitting features step by step, two usb ports then backward compatibility and last of them other OS, maybe someday they drop game support thoroughly.:Dred-ray

lol. take the blu-ray out. then get rid of the dualshock because, you know, "dualshock is last generation". and then what do you have? a massive paper weight. sony will diversify into the paperweight business. :-D

Deathtransit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Deathtransit
Member since 2007 • 3086 Posts
[QUOTE="codezer0"][QUOTE="nick35"]

PS2 games look like ass on a high def TV, especially on a real PS2. And at least if you have a unit with BC, most of those games look much better on the PS3, even when using the same sets of video cables.

They still look like ass on my 60GB.. I'm liking the HD collections for that reason. Honestly, what bothers me more is that there's almost guaranteed to be no PS3 BC on PS4 w/o the cell.
FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts
That's alright I got my PS2, but since the start of this gen I haven't even touched my PS2 or its games.
dj_pulserfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 dj_pulserfan
Member since 2007 • 3102 Posts

To be honest I love my PS3 slim but I'd love to play some PS2 games I've missed out on. Instead of bundling it in and adding to the manufacturing cost they could just make it optional and have the software downloadable from the Playstation Store. They finished updating it years ago so I doubt it would need anything additional besides bandwidth.

crashndash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44 crashndash
Member since 2007 • 1171 Posts
lol nice one, i think hes a bit slow...
milan22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 milan22
Member since 2007 • 840 Posts
Title WIN :)
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Managed to get lucky and found a BC model when i bought mine, but even if i diden't, you can find a PS2, memory card, controller and 3 games for under $60 nowadays. not a big deal if you really need to play these games
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#47 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

Sony have terrible grammar these days.

Warriorboy1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#48 Warriorboy1990
Member since 2008 • 3813 Posts
[QUOTE="Deathtransit"][QUOTE="codezer0"][QUOTE="nick35"]

They still look like ass on my 60GB.. I'm liking the HD collections for that reason. Honestly, what bothers me more is that there's almost guaranteed to be no PS3 BC on PS4 w/o the cell.

Not to mention the framerate is beyond terrible to play some PS2 games on PS3.
bigboss1203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49 bigboss1203
Member since 2009 • 1885 Posts
lolz. Yeah I have complaints about that, but really calling Sony stupid for doing that is a little to much, I mean PS2s are only $99 right now, you could just buy a PS2.
CDuG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 CDuG
Member since 2009 • 1946 Posts

I feel you TC. Everytime I have to get off the couch and unplug the PS3 cables from the TV and plug in the PS2 ones, I basically want to kill myself. I am fully aware that it takes less physical effort than putting a game into the system, but it still gives me an itchy murdering finger pointed at Sony HQ.

:roll: