Sony Is Working On A ‘PlayStation 4.5

This topic is locked from further discussion.

vespuche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 vespuche
Member since 2007 • 1078 Posts

So sources say that a PS4.5 may be in the works. This may be able to run 4k resolution.

The PSVR will come with a plug in processor unit. This may be what turns it Into a PS4.5.

At some point in may be built in.

Great conversation about it.

vespuche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 vespuche
Member since 2007 • 1078 Posts

source

source

I did not make this up. :)

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Old and I don't believe it.

311Music

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 311Music
Member since 2003 • 7919 Posts

If someone would have told me like 5 years ago that a concept sharing simulates with the Virtual Boy (PSVR) and the 32X (the rumored add-on "PS4.5") were the potential future of console gaming, I would have told them to jump in a lake. Gonna be interesting to see how this all plays out for sure!

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts

i will replace both of my consoles with a gaming pc if both ms and sony come up with a "newly updated" current generation console...

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I hope Sony doesn't desert their customers who have forked out a lot of money on a PS4. I recently bought one so the last thing I want to do is spend a few hundred pound more on another console.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Never gonna happen, neither MS nor Sony are that stupid.

gregbmil1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gregbmil1
Member since 2008 • 62 Posts

I believe it. It's because of the PlaystationVR. It's gonna have to produce every image twice. That's gonna be hard on the current PS4 that was designed without VR in mind.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@gregbmil1 said:

I believe it. It's because of the PlaystationVR. It's gonna have to produce every image twice. That's gonna be hard on the current PS4 that was designed without VR in mind.

Ever heard of the VR companion box?

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts

Im happy as things is. Dont make us dump more money in their direction

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11  Edited By Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

I haven't read or heard anything official. As it stands right now this is nothing more then speculations of the Internet and we all know how truthful that can be. Personally, I don't believe it will happen since that could eliminate potential PS5 hardware. I don't see it became a reality, too much money lost for the few percentage of people that actually want to see their current PS4 turn into PC. That's not what consoles represent.

Nirogol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12 Nirogol
Member since 2015 • 511 Posts

Looks it's will happen...stupid move I think, make a smaller model and call it "slim"? acceptable.

making a new console with better aspects? it should be PS5...seems weird to me making a mid generation model, console players don't like to buy a new console every two years, sony's sales are very good, why make another confusing product?

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#13 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts

If they offer the option for current PS4 users to upgrade to the PS4 4K, where as you can trade your PS4 and pay the difference, I wouldn't mind too much.

However, the concern for current systems is people developing games with the PS4 4K in mind, resulting in future games only running effectively on the new systems. this is the whole reason why I ditched PC gaming

ps3hdalltime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 ps3hdalltime
Member since 2012 • 427 Posts

PS4 sales have surpassed 35.9 million as of Jan 5 2016. What are these millions consumers gonna do with their ps4? Trade in 35.9 million units with a price difference, i dont think so. And how many people have or can afford a 4K TV now. I hope this 4k thing (PS4.5) doesnt take place coz i can nowhere afford a 4K TV. I hope we receive the official news from Sony giving us a proper confirmation asap or atleast at E3 2016.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

Good points, my argument is - even with the trade-in feature I doubt that we are looking into a significant exchange value. Hypothetically speaking, lets say by the time this rumored PS4.5 arrives the price of the current PS4 is at 349$ (example). How much would you have to pay the difference of that number? 100$? 200$? out of you pocket?.

That's considering you even have an Sony option that offers the trade value. EB Games is another story with their promotions like them or hate them.

I also don't see any potential way to make a straight replacement/trade at the full value for the upgraded PS4.5 either. There simply isn't any money to be gained by the company. In the end I only see myself paying more money for upgraded/newer PS4 system. Will it be mandatory? Probably not. However when I see new games running, playing and looking significantly better then my current PS4 game then I have a problem with that. In all honesty this will bridge the PC and Consoles even closer on hardware replacements. If that's the case - I am not even sure how the market will react.

gregbmil1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gregbmil1

@GTR12: I have not. What is it?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GTR12

@gregbmil1: Its a device the size of a Wii that attaches to the PS4 and the VR headset to allow additional processing power so that the headset can sustain the 120fps for games.

gregbmil1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gregbmil1

@GTR12: Nice, I do want to get the PsVR. I've had a taste of it with the Samsung VR I have. I just don't think I will have the cash for it. With the VR being $400, the PS camera $60, and the VR companion. I'm guessing a good $600. I have to wait till I read reviews from users. It's not a "must have" for me, close but not 100%

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GTR12

@gregbmil1 said:

@GTR12: Nice, I do want to get the PsVR. I've had a taste of it with the Samsung VR I have. I just don't think I will have the cash for it. With the VR being $400, the PS camera $60, and the VR companion. I'm guessing a good $600. I have to wait till I read reviews from users. It's not a "must have" for me, close but not 100%

The bundle is $500