Sony confirms Patapon 2 will be Download Only

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FishSquared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FishSquared
Member since 2007 • 773 Posts

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3173712

From the article:

The News: After reports earlier today that the upcoming PSP game Patapon 2 would be selling at retail with a download code in place of an actual UMD in the box, Sony has confirmed this to Ars Technica. Senior Director of Corporate Communications Patrick Seybold said, "We're considering a digital only format for the Patapon 2 release as a one time test case as we continue to explore consumer preferences for digital content." The game's release is still set for May 5.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

That's cool... I'm tired of the UMDs.

dazzzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 dazzzilla
Member since 2006 • 1246 Posts

Ok, fine for me but it really annoys me that I have to pay 60au for the game and then waste 1+gb of data bandwidth from my internet well done sony got to love your support of your format.

kinjo13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kinjo13
Member since 2008 • 183 Posts

Patapon is only 326mb can't imagine 2 would be that much bigger. Games on your memory stick make your portable game system more portable.

dazzzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dazzzilla

Patapon 2 here in australia has already been out for about 3 weeks on a UMD , so im not complaining but I dont want it to be a trend for the big 1.8gb games imagine if im capped and i want to play the game I pay for a copy at the shop but I cant play it cause i cant DL the game.

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts
Available both as dd and umd in Denmark.
odoyle420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#7 odoyle420
Member since 2009 • 224 Posts

well then I will not be able to get it then.

Nintendo_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Nintendo_Man
Member since 2003 • 19733 Posts

Apparently the download only is for North America.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#9 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

DD does seem to be the next step to making the PSP (and any future handheld) the ultimate portable device. I actually like the ides. Hopefully this'll lower the piracy rate.

DarkMaster7991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#10 DarkMaster7991
Member since 2006 • 1585 Posts

Damn!It has started......I don't want everything go Downloadable. Atleast make a hard copy of it....

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts
Well... guess I won't be buying this one.
malezz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 malezz
Member since 2007 • 42 Posts

i already got the game so i dont need to bother:)

pikastar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 pikastar
Member since 2006 • 3405 Posts

I wont be getting it now. Already canceled my preorder. I like having the physical games. Not really interested anymore due to this news but I might order the EU version at some point in the future. I dont see why they dont have the download version for $15 on the PSN and a UMD version in stores for $20. It would make everyone happy. I think its crap that they are forcing you to download if you are a fan of the game.

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts
Good: the only PSP games I play any more are ones I have downloaded onto my memory stick. Carrying 5 or 6 physical game disks with me when I got out with the psp is just not practical, and I am glad Sony is supporting PSN.
Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#15 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

DD does seem to be the next step to making the PSP (and any future handheld) the ultimate portable device. I actually like the ides. Hopefully this'll lower the piracy rate.

Lionheart08

Both the PSP & DS have DDs wouldn't this hurt more than help? What would stop people from copying the download?

flowersjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 flowersjf
Member since 2008 • 2856 Posts

Damn!It has started......I don't want everything go Downloadable. Atleast make a hard copy of it....

DarkMaster7991
YES, finally someone agrees with me. I hate it how everything will be download only when the PSP2 comes out.
dazzzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dazzzilla

Hahah i guess i wont be buying a psp2 then ;) i dont have a way to use the PSN as it is not to mention it being my only resource for games as I dont have a credit card nor do they sell PSN cards in Australia :(>

Avatar image for RurouniSaiyajin
RurouniSaiyajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RurouniSaiyajin
Member since 2007 • 4951 Posts

[QUOTE="Lionheart08"]

Coolyfett

Both the PSP & DS have DDs wouldn't this hurt more than help? What would stop people from copying the download?

There's multiple ways to protect against such things, though none are foolproof because no method of anti-piracy is foolproof anyway. For instance in this case, because you are forced to get it from the PS Store, Sony can tie the copy of the game to your PSN ID that you purchased/redeemed your voucher for it with.

Back on topic though, people who are upset with the fact that there won't be a physical copy shouldn't worry. This is only a one time experiment with this game only. Though, that doesn't mean looking forward to the next PSP that they don't plan to do away with physical copies of games. This is probably a testing ground for just that. But it'll still be a while before that comes so no need to worry about that now. In the mean time, I'd encourage you all to try and overcome your fears of digital distribution.

gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
even though downloading games is the next step, we are not at that point yet. I was ready to purchase this until the bomb dropped. I will be importing the Asian UMD version off play-asia now instead.
Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

[There's multiple ways to protect against such things, though none are foolproof because no method of anti-piracy is foolproof anyway. For instance in this case, because you are forced to get it from the PS Store, Sony can tie the copy of the game to your PSN ID that you purchased/redeemed your voucher for it with.

Back on topic though, people who are upset with the fact that there won't be a physical copy shouldn't worry. This is only a one time experiment with this game only. Though, that doesn't mean looking forward to the next PSP that they don't plan to do away with physical copies of games. This is probably a testing ground for just that. But it'll still be a while before that comes so no need to worry about that now. In the mean time, I'd encourage you all to try and overcome your fears of digital distribution.

RurouniSaiyajin

I don't see how that's going to stop anyone from making a torrent file of the game.... and dump it out there for anyone to grab outside the Sony network. At least with the disk version, you're required to have that disk in the drive, for the game to work. The only way I see Digital Distrubution to work is if they tie you into the network, via logging on to play your games like 'Steam' requires you to do. And I just don't see that happening with a handheld.... unless it's a cell phone, too. Seems to me if Sony goes this route, Piracy is going to ramp up to that of the PC, on it.

As for this test... if they deem it a success, I doubt you'll see another SECA published title in UMD format.

AlexSays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AlexSays
Member since 2008 • 6612 Posts
Well... guess I won't be buying this one.Threesixtyci
Same here. Give me a physical copy or I don't want one at all.
stoneyjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 stoneyjack
Member since 2008 • 262 Posts

its awesome, i just got a 8gig mem stick