SOCOM 4 had dismal sales - sweet karma for messing up the series!

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jason_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jason_A
Member since 2006 • 2121 Posts

Link re: sales: http://www.destructoid.com/uk-charts-portal-2-wins-socom-4-not-so-much--199656.phtml

I'm really glad about this.

I was worried that it would sell really well, therby gauranteeing that we would never again see a real SOCOM game.

The dismal sales will also encourage other game series to not try to CODify their games.

Now they will hopefully make a real SOCOM game next.

(And the dismissal sales are NOT due to the PSN going down - they had time to get enough sales in before the PSN issue to at least crack the top 20).

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Hah, I can't believe Red River beat Socom, oh god that's good stuff! I was never a Socom fan so it's no skin off my back, they just didn't make a game that stood out on its own I guess.

Edit: Good lord this game must be terrible if Michael 2: the experience beat it, ouch.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cfb21cbc03
deactivated-589cfb21cbc03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-589cfb21cbc03
Member since 2009 • 840 Posts

good, after zipper ignored their hardcore socom fans and made another call of duty, i hope the socom 4 sales keep doing bad

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

Link re: sales: http://www.destructoid.com/uk-charts-portal-2-wins-socom-4-not-so-much--199656.phtml

I was worried that it would sell really well, therby gauranteeing that we would never again see a real SOCOM game.

The dismal sales will also encourage other game series to not try to CODify their games.

(And the dismissal sales are NOT due to the PSN going down - they had time to get enough sales in before the PSN issue to at least crack the top 20).

Jason_A

I think people are just military shootered out. Even if it was a great game, it probably wouldn't have sold well. We keep on seeing the same stuff out there.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

Wow, OFP beat Socom....that's just sad.

OFP, at least the last one, was total junk!!!!

ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ExoticAnimal
Member since 2010 • 39796 Posts

Meh, its still a good game even though its a lot different from what it used to be. I do expect sales to get better mainly because I do think the PSN outage really affected its sales.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
To be fair to them, the fact that nobody has been able to play the most important part of the game since it released might have something to do with that.
kkee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 kkee
Member since 2003 • 1729 Posts

I think you're taking this out of proportion, SOCOM has never sold very well in the UK, or anywhere really, except for North America. Operation Flashpoint has always been a good seller in the UK, with the original getting to no. 1 and Dragon Rising to 2 in the UK charts.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cfb21cbc03
deactivated-589cfb21cbc03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-589cfb21cbc03
Member since 2009 • 840 Posts

I think you're taking this out of proportion, SOCOM has never sold very well in the UK, or anywhere really, except for North America. Operation Flashpoint has always been a good seller in the UK, with the original getting to no. 1 and Dragon Rising to 2 in the UK charts.

kkee

yup, most people who don't play much socom don't realise that socom is a u.s. military based game and i don't think the uk wants to play as a american defending the u.s. from a disaster

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

[QUOTE="kkee"]

barry000

yup, most people who don't play much socom don't realise that socom is a u.s. military based game and i don't think the uk wants to play as a american defending the u.s. from a disaster

It's still pretty dismal sales to not even make the top 20, I'm sure it will do better in the US. Though PSN being down probably has a good chunk to do with lost sales so I'm sure it will hurt a bit worldwide until PSN gets back up.

A shame because the game is not really bad at all if you don't masure it against the "SOCOM" name, it seriously has every bit the level of quality of games like Black Ops and whatnot and those games never seem to take a hit for being "more of the same". But at the same time I wouldn't mind seeing developers start reversing the trend of "dumbing down" all their series to be "more like Call of Duty". There is no good reason for a game like this to not even be able to command your squad other than to be able to point to spots on the ground. That's just silly in a "tactical shooter".

Canuck3k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Canuck3k
Member since 2009 • 288 Posts
As much as I love the real SOCOM games. I still did enjoy SOCOM 4.
2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

As much as I love the real SOCOM games. I still did enjoy SOCOM 4.Canuck3k

Same here. As a 3rd person shooter it is excellent. What other 3rd person shooters on consoles besides Uncharted and Gears are even CLOSE to this well polished, and have the same level of features (custom missions including co-op, lots of multiplayer modes, etc)?

However as a tactical shooter, it is a bit disappointing. In fact I will probably enjoy the Operation Flashpoint campaign alot more just becasue it at least has reasonably deep controlls of squad tactics, but then that game basically DOESN'T EVEN HAVE online multiplayer. As an overall package I'm quite sure SOCOM4 lives up just fine, it's just not "tactical". Another game dragged down a bit by unfair expectations of it's own name, being judged against itself instead of vs the competition.

But like I said above, I hope this is a bit of a lesson to other developers. The "dumbing down" to be like Call of Duty has to stop. If they were going to make a pure shooter with minimal tactics, they should have just made up another IP like MAG, and not really used the SOCOM name. So in a sense Zipper was asking for it with these haters.

Tetrarch9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Tetrarch9
Member since 2010 • 2581 Posts

[QUOTE="kkee"]

barry000

You mean they don't want to play Cod 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7.
JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts
i like socom 4 and im glad i bought it, im sure in time there will be a boost in sales or at least more ppl hop on it. but i dont regret my purchase one bit. im enjoying the SP and i was enjoying the beta which was for the online part, which i also liked and enjoyed. so oh well i guess for those who arent getting it, aint my loss really
BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BSC14

I have the game...I just want to be able to play it online. I have not even tried it yet.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#16 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Jason_A

I'm pretty sure that the PSN outage is the biggest factor

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
iam not a fan of duck and cover shooters i find them cowardly so i don't like socom 4 but i have a feeling that the sales are low because of the psn problem
MaKillaGorilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 MaKillaGorilla
Member since 2011 • 292 Posts

Socom 4 is pretty fun really. Its sad that so called "true socom" fans cant take their favortie series for where it is going. Its like football, you gotaa give your team and chance and not just drop em when you feel like they are not going where you want them to.Wheres the faith?

DevilishStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DevilishStyles
Member since 2010 • 766 Posts

[QUOTE="barry000"]

[QUOTE="kkee"]

Tetrarch9

You mean they don't want to play Cod 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7.

Call of Duty 1, 4, and Modern Warfare 2 allow you to take roles of UK soldiers.

DevilishStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DevilishStyles
Member since 2010 • 766 Posts

Socom 4 is pretty fun really. Its sad that so called "true socom" fans cant take their favortie series for where it is going. Its like football, you gotaa give your team and chance and not just drop em when you feel like they are not going where you want them to.Wheres the faith?

MaKillaGorilla
Just because it's Socom doesn't mean, I (a huge Socom 2 fan), have to go out and buy it. They clearly forgot about the fan base who made them who they are. Just like I guessed correctly in a previous thread, this game has joined the flop basket with Confrontation.
Diego_921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Diego_921
Member since 2006 • 511 Posts
They should just remake socom 2 with better graphics and change nothing else
MaKillaGorilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MaKillaGorilla

Its just that, the players made it what it was, now it seems like everyone just gave up. I understand it has its flaws and its not much like the old ones. But if people were to get into it like the old ones, would it not be what it was? Anything can be awesome if you make it. Enjoy it for what it is i guess.

Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts
Who would buy a game known mostly for its MP when there is no online service for it?
MaKillaGorilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MaKillaGorilla

The down time of PSN is not forever

zombiejonny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 zombiejonny
Member since 2003 • 8277 Posts

well im sure the main reason it hasn't sold well is because right when it released PSN went down and this game is more focused on multiplayer.

ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ultraking
Member since 2004 • 6904 Posts
Socom 4 is awesome
wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
Yeah I loved SOCOM and after playing the BETA for 4 I just figured the series is dead so not a big suprise to me.
ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ultraking
Member since 2004 • 6904 Posts
Yeah I loved SOCOM and after playing the BETA for 4 I just figured the series is dead so not a big suprise to me.wooooode
I can't take this post seriously , knowing you haven't even played the game and are forming an opinion based off a beta
wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
[QUOTE="wooooode"]Yeah I loved SOCOM and after playing the BETA for 4 I just figured the series is dead so not a big suprise to me.ultraking
I can't take this post seriously , knowing you haven't even played the game and are forming an opinion based off a beta

You cant take it seriouse? They are not going to drastically change the game. I keep very close tabs on SOCOM.com and seen what they are fixing but the game is a cross breed of SOCOM and COD. They are trying to make 2 different fanbases happy but failing at both. Also how can you have an opinion you have not been able to even play online since the game came out so dont come at me with that garbage when you have not been able to put in proper time either.
Jason_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jason_A
i like socom 4 and im glad i bought it, im sure in time there will be a boost in sales or at least more ppl hop on it. but i dont regret my purchase one bit. im enjoying the SP and i was enjoying the beta which was for the online part, which i also liked and enjoyed. so oh well i guess for those who arent getting it, aint my loss reallyJoKeR_421
Well for online play it will be your loss - can't see the online being well populated for too long for a game that can't even crack the top 20.
Jason_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jason_A
iam not a fan of duck and cover shooters i find them cowardly so i don't like socom 4 but i have a feeling that the sales are low because of the psn problemelbert_b_23
Cowardly? LOL - what? Conversely, I find run and gun games to be reckless.
BZSIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BZSIN
Member since 2005 • 7889 Posts
To put it into perspective, Confrontation managed to break into the UK top 10 when it released.
redskins2156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 redskins2156
Member since 2007 • 2553 Posts

touche

The down time of PSN is not forever

MaKillaGorilla

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BSC14

[QUOTE="JoKeR_421"]i like socom 4 and im glad i bought it, im sure in time there will be a boost in sales or at least more ppl hop on it. but i dont regret my purchase one bit. im enjoying the SP and i was enjoying the beta which was for the online part, which i also liked and enjoyed. so oh well i guess for those who arent getting it, aint my loss reallyJason_A
Well for online play it will be your loss - can't see the online being well populated for too long for a game that can't even crack the top 20.

\

Confrontation was trashed bigtime and had a crap load of connection issues and still had a crap load of people playing years after release.

I think this one will be fine and do even better when PSN is back up.

kyletoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 kyletoker
Member since 2007 • 483 Posts

kind of hard to sell an online game when your online isnt working

goosetroop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 goosetroop
Member since 2011 • 285 Posts

So what, they didn't do a remake. Even if they did people would be mad about that. It's a lose/lose situation.

volume_three

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 volume_three
Member since 2005 • 2142 Posts

I thoroughly enjoyed the single player campaign... on elite anyway... but the game certainly isn't the SOCOM I remember by any means. Not surprised at all by it's lackluster sales.

BrianB0422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#38 BrianB0422
Member since 2009 • 1636 Posts
This makes me happy. :)
BrianB0422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BrianB0422

[QUOTE="Jason_A"][QUOTE="JoKeR_421"]i like socom 4 and im glad i bought it, im sure in time there will be a boost in sales or at least more ppl hop on it. but i dont regret my purchase one bit. im enjoying the SP and i was enjoying the beta which was for the online part, which i also liked and enjoyed. so oh well i guess for those who arent getting it, aint my loss reallyBSC14

\

Confrontation was trashed bigtime and had a crap load of connection issues and still had a crap load of people playing years after release.

I think this one will be fine and do even better when PSN is back up.

Confrontation was the most played exclusive on the PSN last year. That is what a hardcore fanbase can do for you when you cater to them.
ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ExoticAnimal
Member since 2010 • 39796 Posts

Confrontation was the most played exclusive on the PSN last year. That is what a hardcore fanbase can do for you when you cater to them.BrianB0422

You have a link that states this?

BrianB0422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BrianB0422

[QUOTE="BrianB0422"]Confrontation was the most played exclusive on the PSN last year. That is what a hardcore fanbase can do for you when you cater to them.ExoticAnimal

Mark Rogers was on a Zipper podcast and stated as such some time last year. They have taken down all of the "old" podcasts so I cannot link it, but it is referenced here.

MaKillaGorilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MaKillaGorilla

Confrontataion was the most played exlcusive last year. Simply type it in at google and you cansee that. I played Socom 4 the first day and a half it was out. Fun stuff.

shaunchgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 shaunchgo
Member since 2006 • 4605 Posts
Did you read the entire article? The article is based on sales in the "UK".
SiKh22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SiKh22
Member since 2006 • 4661 Posts
i agree, I'm going to buy socom 4 in the future, but this is what they get for changing the game too much.
redskins2156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 redskins2156
Member since 2007 • 2553 Posts

http://forums.playfire.com/general-discussion/thread/43402

[QUOTE="BrianB0422"]Confrontation was the most played exclusive on the PSN last year. That is what a hardcore fanbase can do for you when you cater to them.ExoticAnimal

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#46 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
As a Sharpshooter and a 3DTV owner, I was hoping to replicate the Killzone 3 experience with a modern 3rd person twist, but man... that beta was so dull and lifeless I'm not surprised other people had the same negative reaction to this turkey that I did. Oh well... we'll always have Killzone 3.
eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts

and the fact it was offline might be a reason lol

BigBoss255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 BigBoss255
Member since 2010 • 3539 Posts
TC if S4 doesn't sell well it's more likely you'll never see a socom game again let alone a "core" one. I don't see what the big deal is ok pistols and lobbies are missing but demolition and breach are coming as DLC. Anyway no surprise it sold bad in the UK, I had to go to 3 different stores just to find a copy. A lot of stores didn't even order it.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
lol @ the "Good they ignored the hardcore fans" posts - You lot are worse than the CoD fans who complain about rehashes, if it was basically SOCOM 2 in HD you would complain it was a rehash, now that it's not a rehash you're complaining it's changed too much... Is there a middle ground? I am sure Zipper would love to find it to shut the complainers up AND get decent sales to keep them in business from the casual gamers. Hardcore fans = tiny numbers, no one wants to cater to such a demanding group of low numbers so they go after the larger group of less demanding numbers who are happy to play a game and not act like spoiled kids when something doesn't go their way.
kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#50 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts
I don't care about how this game's doing but I hate how it tried to copy Cod. I don't like Cod and games that try to copy it are even worse..