So I've started playin the Socom Beta and

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JohnHatler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JohnHatler
Member since 2008 • 50 Posts
I am honestly disappointed. Perhaps I am too used to "arcadey" shooters, but it just does not feel right to me. Do you guys like it? Maybe if someone pointed out its strengths, I would spend more time with it
-Darko-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 -Darko-
Member since 2005 • 4745 Posts
I am honestly disappointed. Perhaps I am too used to "arcadey" shooters, but it just does not feel right to me. Do you guys like it? Maybe if someone pointed out its strengths, I would spend more time with it
JohnHatler
There are a lot of problems with it right now (duh, it's a Beta) so they're releasing a patch tomorrow (thursday) that will fix a lot of issues and hopefully make it A LOT better.
JohnHatler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 JohnHatler
well, I understand the loading, the lag, and issues similiar to those due to it being a beta. Its the feel of the game, the shooting, the lack of "heft" when shooting a weapon, things like that are what just do not seem right to me. Maybe it is just me.
GranReyUno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 GranReyUno
Member since 2007 • 1542 Posts
For one it is a beta and some of the issues that have been plaguing the beta could be damper the game play for you. Now with that out of the way, Socom is a very tactical game that is evolved around teamwork. This game is not based on graphics are gimmicks. It is all about the game play. If you are looking for a run a gun type of shooter then this one is not it. Trust me that type of playing style will lead to pure a straight ownage. Some complain about the controls but once you get use to them the game plays pretty nicely but if it isn't for you then it isn't for you.
K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#5 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
LOL.I say be glad you even got into the beta.I would have loved to play it.
JohnHatler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JohnHatler

LOL.I say be glad you even got into the beta.I would have loved to play it.K1LLR3175

all you have to do is buy Qore episode one. I really hope the real game plays better. I am tired of people just running around. I would love to play with some real teamwork

Prisoner1137

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Prisoner1137
Member since 2008 • 1213 Posts

For one it is a beta and some of the issues that have been plaguing the beta could be damper the game play for you. Now with that out of the way, Socom is a very tactical game that is evolved around teamwork. This game is not based on graphics are gimmicks. It is all about the game play. If you are looking for a run a gun type of shooter then this one is not it. Trust me that type of playing style will lead to pure a straight ownage. Some complain about the controls but once you get use to them the game plays pretty nicely but if it isn't for you then it isn't for you.GranReyUno

Well job tellin' like how it is.

K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 K1LLR3175

[QUOTE="K1LLR3175"]LOL.I say be glad you even got into the beta.I would have loved to play it.JohnHatler

all you have to do is buy Qore episode one. I really hope the real game plays better. I am tired of people just running around. I would love to play with some real teamwork

AHHH I see thanks for that.But now you know how I feel about Rainbow Six Vegas 1&2.No team work at all.Just a bunch of MLG misfits running around with no armor spraying there P90s.No time to be tactical when they do that.
GranReyUno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GranReyUno

[QUOTE="GranReyUno"]For one it is a beta and some of the issues that have been plaguing the beta could be damper the game play for you. Now with that out of the way, Socom is a very tactical game that is evolved around teamwork. This game is not based on graphics are gimmicks. It is all about the game play. If you are looking for a run a gun type of shooter then this one is not it. Trust me that type of playing style will lead to pure a straight ownage. Some complain about the controls but once you get use to them the game plays pretty nicely but if it isn't for you then it isn't for you.Prisoner1137

LOL! He asked.

Prisoner1137

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Prisoner1137
[QUOTE="Prisoner1137"]

[QUOTE="GranReyUno"]For one it is a beta and some of the issues that have been plaguing the beta could be damper the game play for you. Now with that out of the way, Socom is a very tactical game that is evolved around teamwork. This game is not based on graphics are gimmicks. It is all about the game play. If you are looking for a run a gun type of shooter then this one is not it. Trust me that type of playing style will lead to pure a straight ownage. Some complain about the controls but once you get use to them the game plays pretty nicely but if it isn't for you then it isn't for you.GranReyUno

LOL! He asked.

Which reminds me. You never played with me on Socom yet, ditched a brotha online for R:FoM. Damn and I thought we're cool like Peanut Butter and Jelly. :lol:

realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 realistic44
Member since 2008 • 8458 Posts

[QUOTE="GranReyUno"]For one it is a beta and some of the issues that have been plaguing the beta could be damper the game play for you. Now with that out of the way, Socom is a very tactical game that is evolved around teamwork. This game is not based on graphics are gimmicks. It is all about the game play. If you are looking for a run a gun type of shooter then this one is not it. Trust me that type of playing style will lead to pure a straight ownage. Some complain about the controls but once you get use to them the game plays pretty nicely but if it isn't for you then it isn't for you.Prisoner1137

Yeah homie i finally got my beta code, time to build my planned character lol 8)

realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 realistic44
[QUOTE="GranReyUno"][QUOTE="Prisoner1137"]

LOL! He asked.

Which reminds me. You never played with me on Socom yet, ditched a brotha online for R:FoM. Damn and I thought we're cool like Peanut Butter and Jelly. :lol:

Hey thats one of my punchlines :lol:

I thought we used roll deep like pita bread :P

Prisoner1137

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Prisoner1137
[QUOTE="Prisoner1137"][QUOTE="GranReyUno"][QUOTE="Prisoner1137"]

[QUOTE="GranReyUno"]For one it is a beta and some of the issues that have been plaguing the beta could be damper the game play for you. Now with that out of the way, Socom is a very tactical game that is evolved around teamwork. This game is not based on graphics are gimmicks. It is all about the game play. If you are looking for a run a gun type of shooter then this one is not it. Trust me that type of playing style will lead to pure a straight ownage. Some complain about the controls but once you get use to them the game plays pretty nicely but if it isn't for you then it isn't for you.realistic44

LOL! He asked.

Well at least you got the beta code, maybe you won't stiff me like homeboy :P

realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 realistic44
[QUOTE="realistic44"][QUOTE="Prisoner1137"][QUOTE="GranReyUno"][QUOTE="Prisoner1137"]

LOL! He asked.

Yeah first' things first though, i have to try the fracture demo lmao :P

GranReyUno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GranReyUno
[QUOTE="GranReyUno"][QUOTE="Prisoner1137"]

LOL! He asked.

LMAO! It wasn't like that. I had got a few drinks with an old friend that I didn't chill with for awhile do to his current situation. Plus you are never online when I am. Guess that new 36o got you busy but so that you know I am gonna be on all day today. And you know we cooler than polar bear's toe nails. lol!

GranReyUno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GranReyUno
[QUOTE="Prisoner1137"][QUOTE="realistic44"][QUOTE="Prisoner1137"][QUOTE="GranReyUno"][QUOTE="Prisoner1137"]

[QUOTE="GranReyUno"]For one it is a beta and some of the issues that have been plaguing the beta could be damper the game play for you. Now with that out of the way, Socom is a very tactical game that is evolved around teamwork. This game is not based on graphics are gimmicks. It is all about the game play. If you are looking for a run a gun type of shooter then this one is not it. Trust me that type of playing style will lead to pure a straight ownage. Some complain about the controls but once you get use to them the game plays pretty nicely but if it isn't for you then it isn't for you.realistic44

LOL! He asked.

Yeah first' things first though, i have to try the fracture demo lmao :P

Realistic just got onto the beta and is already ditching you for a demo lol! At least I tried.

Prisoner1137

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Prisoner1137

Realistic just got onto the beta and is already ditching you for a demo lol! At least I tried.

GranReyUno

For reals, huh?

I'll play with you, I should be on when I get home. Yeah, I'll be busy with my 360 for awhile. Just gotta wait to hook up live and thats where the fun will be.

It's all good about not playing, I understand about the whole friend thing. I probably would do the same :P

GranReyUno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GranReyUno
[QUOTE="GranReyUno"]

Prisoner1137

For reals, huh?

I'll play with you, I should be on when I get home. Yeah, I'll be busy with my 360 for awhile. Just gotta wait to hook up live and thats where the fun will be.

It's all good about not playing, I understand about the whole friend thing. I probably would do the same :P

Cool I got a few more hrs of work. This time if we don't play it's on you like that night you had went to the store with your wife and kid :P It's still cool tho lol! (inside joke)

realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 realistic44
[QUOTE="Prisoner1137"][QUOTE="GranReyUno"]

GranReyUno

For reals, huh?

Cool I got a few more hrs of work. This time if we don't play it's on you like that night you had went to the store with your wife and kid :P It's still cool tho lol! (inside joke)

Lol im just messin with 1137 he's a homie for life, we ride together we die together - bad boys for life lol :P Im going to play with him as soon as its done downloading- gur an teee :D
K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 K1LLR3175
WTF?
Crystall3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 Crystall3d
Member since 2005 • 397 Posts
they are having fun and they are not even playing it.LOL LMAO ROFL COFL DUFL MAFFLE
wsandoval07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 wsandoval07
Member since 2007 • 225 Posts
i understand what you mean, the feeling of the game is sooo weird......it feels like socom 3 but i want it to feel like socom too. It was something about the controls, i remember the gameplay for socom 3 was real loose and the aiming was flexible but i love the socom 2 feel because the controls were tighter lol, u feel what im saying? lol:P
W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

Couple of things that I've always loved about Socom...

Elimination with No Respawned

• It actually makes the game feel more intense, you can't help but want to take things a bit slower and it definitely makes getting a kill that much more satisfying.

Community/Mic Support

• I love the Socom community, everyones so freakin nice and helpful. It's easily the only game this gen that I've played were people actually communicate ABOUT THE GAME. I always find someone to pair up with during matches because that's possibly the only way to succeed in Socom.

The Realistic Approach

• I love that it doesn't take a gazillon shots to kill someone, and sure I love my COD4, but I hate the fact that you can shoot across a map with dead on accuracy. Noob players find out very quickly holding down the R1 button won't help in this game, you need to constantly be tapping it for better accuracy.
nitsud_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nitsud_19
Member since 2004 • 2519 Posts
I think the weapons are spot on, better then the rest. You are definetly to use to arcady type games. Short controlled bursts are the way to go, this is as real as it gets. You must be one of the chumps doing the run n' gun/zig zag techniques that i drop everytime. Once you get the hang of it you will love it.
Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mau-Justice
Member since 2008 • 4907 Posts
I never had high hopes for it. It always looked really bad.
ninjaxams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 ninjaxams
Member since 2004 • 7500 Posts
ppl act like the retail release is going to be alot different from the beta. guess what? IT WON"T!!! stop defending this game with your "shut up!!! its a beta!!!" bs. the game is a pile. then again, socom has always been a sloppy, poorly designed mess...
thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts
I really like it actually, much better than Call of Duty 4 (last shooter I played regularly)
Choco_Taco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Choco_Taco
Member since 2007 • 573 Posts

ppl act like the retail release is going to be alot different from the beta. guess what? IT WON"T!!! stop defending this game with your "shut up!!! its a beta!!!" bs. the game is a pile. then again, socom has always been a sloppy, poorly designed mess...ninjaxams

Why? Because you get owned everytime you run and gun:roll:

ninjaxams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 ninjaxams
Member since 2004 • 7500 Posts

[QUOTE="ninjaxams"]ppl act like the retail release is going to be alot different from the beta. guess what? IT WON"T!!! stop defending this game with your "shut up!!! its a beta!!!" bs. the game is a pile. then again, socom has always been a sloppy, poorly designed mess...Choco_Taco

kid, don't talk to me about slower paced strategic shooters as i'm an old school ghost recon vet. i know how the games supposed to be played. that said the games mechanics are horrible (d-pad to zoom? wtf...) and it honostly feels like a low budget gr anyway. also, its a buggy, poorly designed mess overall as i stated above.
wsandoval07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 wsandoval07
Member since 2007 • 225 Posts
[QUOTE="Choco_Taco"]

[QUOTE="ninjaxams"]ppl act like the retail release is going to be alot different from the beta. guess what? IT WON"T!!! stop defending this game with your "shut up!!! its a beta!!!" bs. the game is a pile. then again, socom has always been a sloppy, poorly designed mess...ninjaxams

kid, don't talk to me about slower paced strategic shooters as i'm an old school ghost recon vet. i know how the games supposed to be played. that said the games mechanics are horrible (d-pad to zoom? wtf...) and it honostly feels like a low budget gr anyway. also, its a buggy, poorly designed mess overall as i stated above.

LOL your probably a kid yourself :lol:

Choco_Taco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Choco_Taco
[QUOTE="Choco_Taco"]

[QUOTE="ninjaxams"]ppl act like the retail release is going to be alot different from the beta. guess what? IT WON"T!!! stop defending this game with your "shut up!!! its a beta!!!" bs. the game is a pile. then again, socom has always been a sloppy, poorly designed mess...ninjaxams

KID?!? I'm 25, who the f' you callin a kid? 1st off, unless you were on PC, Socom came out before Ghost Recon. So you can get off that "I know how the games supposed to be played" BS. So why don't you stick to Ghost Recon, and leave Socom for the big "kids".

ThaDirtySouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 ThaDirtySouth
Member since 2003 • 559 Posts

Rainbow Six came out before Ghost Recon, who cares?

All the bugs and network errors really take the "strategy" and "tactics" out of the beta if you ask me. I think they need to fix the gun spray as it's NOT realistic like people claimed when they saw ONE VIDEO of it. I think they also need to slightly up the bullet damage on the AR's and fix the issue of when you kill someone they manage to pop off some shots as their body falls to the ground and take you with them, even after headshots, that's my major peeve with the beta currently.

That, and the goddamn red X that gets me killed a lot.

Choco_Taco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Choco_Taco

Rainbow Six came out before Ghost Recon, who cares?

All the bugs and network errors really take the "strategy" and "tactics" out of the beta if you ask me. I think they need to fix the gun spray as it's NOT realistic like people claimed when they saw ONE VIDEO of it. I think they also need to slightly up the bullet damage on the AR's and fix the issue of when you kill someone they manage to pop off some shots as their body falls to the ground and take you with them, even after headshots, that's my major peeve with the beta currently.

That, and the goddamn red X that gets me killed a lot.

ThaDirtySouth

I hear you, I hated when that red X appeared as soon as I popped out to shoot someone. Thankfully that patch they released today addressed those issues. And for the extra shots that go off after you kill someone, I really hope they tone that down. As for the "Socom came out before Ghost Recon" line, he's claiming he's a "Ghost Recon vet" like Socom just came out. That's like me saying I'm CoD vet when talking to Counterstrike players.

JohnHatler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JohnHatler
I love the responses that say "you are a run and gun noob" or something like that. Its not that I just constantly die, I get kills. It is the fact that the game plays worse that the PS2 counter parts that bothers me
Avatar image for -ArchAngeL-777-
-ArchAngeL-777-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 -ArchAngeL-777-
Member since 2007 • 3840 Posts
I dont know where all this no "run n gun" stuff is coming from. I finally got the Beta downloaded and was able to run n gun just fine. I even knifed about 4 people lol Using the new sprint function helps to get across dangerous "sniper" areas. I used the 552 with a front grip and the G36C. If I got close enough, I was able to score kills. There were a few times I got into firefights and another enemy scoped me from further down the alley. That wasnt necessarily unusual even in Socom 2. So far, my impression is the gameplay is a lot closer to Socom 2 than to Socom 3. At least on Crossroads, there is enough cover that with effective use of the sprint button, you can move around just fine without having to check each bush. lol I disagree with TC, I like the sort of retro feel of the game. In general, I came away feeling much better about Confrontation than I expected. The Socom 2 movement, etc was never a big complaint amoung the fans. It was more or less the lag and some of the graphics...maybe some accessories. I think this gameplay is more along the lines of what Socom 2 fans wanted out of Socom 3. If you want to snipe, snipe. If you want to run n gun, do so. If you want to camp...watch out for the knife lol. Now if only this game successfully brings back Extract, Escort, and Breach!