Skyrim: Is it really unplayable or just over-exaggerated?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts
So I have been looking on YouTube about Skyrim and it's looks amazing but apparently it is unplayable to PS3 due to lag, is this true of just over-exaggeration?
JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts
while after 100hrs i got bored of the game lol, and only half way into the story. while i did notice some slow downs and few hiccups here and there, it was def. over exaggerated. it was playable and they have rolled out the 1.4 patch which fixes a lot of the issues it has/had
AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts
while after 100hrs i got bored of the game lol, and only half way into the story. while i did notice some slow downs and few hiccups here and there, it was def. over exaggerated. it was playable and they have rolled out the 1.4 patch which fixes a lot of the issues it has/hadJoKeR_421
i had bout 120 hours and it was running fine , fallout 3 and new vegas had much more problems and still were great games , @ tc : dont listen to the trolls and haters
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
The game is overrated as far as the glitches go. Buy it. Now.
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#5 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Completely exaggerated, my brother has it and has put over 50 hours into it without it freezing once. Sure the framerate isn't brilliant, but it is far from unplayable.

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts
Good to know, I shall pick up Skyrim at some point.
wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
Far from unplayable, the issue seems to be long play times. If you play for like 4-5 hours or more you seem to get more slow down when the screen is busy. I heard stories of people closing doors and such to help but yes it was exaggerated.
d_ano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 1

#8 d_ano
Member since 2005 • 2522 Posts

it really depends on the person some people (mainly people who never owned a console before this generation) cant stand a game that doesnt work flawlessly. while skyrim does have lag issues that do get quite bad at times the game is still very playable and it didnt spoil the experience for me all that much. most of the lag issues are in the big cities and when ur there all your doing is handing in quests or getting new ones and whatever else you do in the cities. when your doin the quests there isnt too much lag

darkman006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 darkman006
Member since 2009 • 933 Posts
The only problem I had is when I had like more than six save files. Then the game would freeze at certain points. So yeah, just limit yourself to a certain amount of save files. There have been at least two patches for the game. But it has always been pretty playable.
Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts
Its great, I have little over 45 hours into it before 1.4 patch and it worked without issues. I imagine after the latest patch its even better. Go pick it up and have fun. :)
JokerCB7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 JokerCB7
Member since 2011 • 74 Posts
Get patch 1.4 and play for 100's of hours and you will be fine ... The story line is really addicting, but the side missions where you "Kill the bandit leader at _____" can get tedious and boring ... you will enjoy it for the most part though.
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#12 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

Well the lag issue varied from person to person, some people had it, some people did not. Some had it worse than others, some people had no lag at all. In SW people are defeinately over exaggerating it, but that's because it's SW and that's what people do in there. I personally never got too much lag, I did have some odd bugs and a few broken quests, but nothing too serious.

Recently Bethesda released an update to fix the lag, and apparetnly it worked. A few of my friends who were having lag arn't anymore since the last update. So I guess Bethesda fixed the game now, so ya I would definately recommend it. Also, all the versions of the game had issues, the Xbox version was suffering from some texture/graphic issues or something ect...it's what happens with Bethesda games, they are always buggy when they come out.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

It changes from player to player, game to game, console to console..

LeifLongbottom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 LeifLongbottom
Member since 2009 • 2777 Posts

it really depends on the person some people (mainly people who never owned a console before this generation) cant stand a game that doesnt work flawlessly. while skyrim does have lag issues that do get quite bad at times the game is still very playable and it didnt spoil the experience for me all that much. most of the lag issues are in the big cities and when ur there all your doing is handing in quests or getting new ones and whatever else you do in the cities. when your doin the quests there isnt too much lag

d_ano

That's the thing.

What do you consider unplayable? I don't care about regular glitches in a big open world game, that'll happen. What botherd me is that my copies of the Fallout games still freeze up my PS3 so there's no way I'm getting Skyrim for the PS3 (going PC this time), especially after hearing that people have the same problem; with my luck, I will too.

While those games were "playable" for me, I could only play them for 15 mins before having to give my ps3 a hard shut down.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#15 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Yes, it's been exaggerated....before the patch, I had "SOME" lag in certain areas. Now since they released the latest patch I've had little to no lag issues.

Avatar image for TomatoDragonPSN
TomatoDragonPSN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TomatoDragonPSN
Member since 2012 • 535 Posts
Exaggerated. I platinumed it.
Gaming4You1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Gaming4You1990
Member since 2012 • 150 Posts

I got Skyrim the collectos edition for the Xbox 360, and beat the main story in 19 hours, and got all the achievements in 4 days, and this includes sleeping, eating, and internetting, and going outside a bit =]

It did lag in a few parts, but people got to understand something very important here, you're Xbox or PS3 has old graphics cards in them, and you take a 6-7 year old card, it wont perform so well, and due to rendering those textures it's going to be very hard on the hardware in the system when engaging into combat.

DanC1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DanC1989
Member since 2004 • 50952 Posts
It runs far, far better now than it did on release. GET IT!
Avatar image for deactivated-589cfb21cbc03
deactivated-589cfb21cbc03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-589cfb21cbc03
Member since 2009 • 840 Posts

So I have been looking on YouTube about Skyrim and it's looks amazing but apparently it is unplayable to PS3 due to lag, is this true of just over-exaggeration?RageQuitter69

its over-exaggerated. the ps3 version does have some lag if you play for too long but you can fix that by 1. turning auto saves off or 2. just give the game a break for a bit. i've been playing skyrim since it came out and my copy of skyrim has only lagged once or twice and the only glitch i came across was the mammoth spawning 20 feet up in the air and falling to the ground. other than that, i have had no problems with skyrim. this is just another case of people over-exaggerating the problems

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

All Bethesda games run like garbage.

peach79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 peach79
Member since 2006 • 367 Posts

I tried my damndest to get inot Skyrim but couldn't. I just bought Kindoms of Amalur and cannot put it down! I love it to death. I think the combat in Skyrim was the dealbreaker for me. I thought it was clunky and could never tell if I was too close or too far away to reach an enemy.

King_TigerMK3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 King_TigerMK3
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Played it, finished it and got bored and moved on really the only thing I liked about it was the fact it had dragons and second you could go hunting for dragons lol everything else just felt like the same as oblivion, at least oblivion had gates that you had to hunt down and close which was interesting, I hope they do a DLC like shivering isles for Skyrim or it might being going in as a trade in soon.
Sigrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Sigrin
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I've been having a lot of frame rate issues lately but not on the scale that a lot of users describe. It's still playable I just have to restart the game sometimes when I am playing.
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#24 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

It's unplayable for some people. I could be playing for a few hours then all of a sudden the screen will go black then ill be back at the ps3 main menu. I literally cannot play it. Good luck if you do buy it.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#25 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts

All Bethesda games run like garbage.

crimsonman1245
Maybe so, but you'll still miss out if you don't play ;em based on this post.
LeifLongbottom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LeifLongbottom
Member since 2009 • 2777 Posts

It's unplayable for some people. I could be playing for a few hours then all of a sudden the screen will go black then ill be back at the ps3 main menu. I literally cannot play it. Good luck if you do buy it.

ristactionjakso

The only other game that's done this (to me on the ps3: crash to the XMB) to me is New Vegas.

zekere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#27 zekere
Member since 2003 • 2536 Posts

I have played 65 hours so far. I am level 30 and have 2 houses so far, I have completed all Mage guild quests and most Thieves Guild quests. Have located 150 locations, started Dark Brotherhood and COmpagnons questline and I am at chapter 2 of the main quest. I haven't had any issues so far. The game hasn't crashed on me since the last update, but graphics seem to be downgraded a lot since november last year.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#28 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

Of course it is being blown out of proportion, but the PS3 version is a little bit more unstable than the 360/PC versions.

Woe2spread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Woe2spread
Member since 2009 • 280 Posts
i put the difficulty to unbearable lol. so if i died i would have to reload my last good save. and by doin it over and over it became sluggish. it really slowed down after trying the same instance for a while. i would have to restart my ps3 just to get good game play after loading several times of the same spot.. but this was all before the patch that came. i sold my ps3 and got the pc version but i do miss my ps3 controller for the game. and because of this i might get the thing again oi. i miss having it. im not a fan of skyrim or obliviion with mouse idk. otherwise playing through it was fine for me