Should single players games cease to exist?

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

perfect-dank-0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 perfect-dank-0
Member since 2006 • 284 Posts

I think they should. I have so much fun playing games online that I wouldn't even dream of playing single player games ever again. I mean real people are so much more challanging than AI. Even with all the technology, AI can never compare to human intelligence.

I wouldn't care if all games were online only cause I will never play a single player game ever again. Too boring imo

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
I disagree with you so much. Games are turning into interactive movies, and if we want to reach the levels that movies have reached then we have to tell stories. I like online, but it is just a shallow experience that I will forget when the next game in the series comes out. A good story lasts a lifetime. A good online lasts until the sequel comes out. Single player is more important.
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts
How could they cease to exist. Some games can be single player only but 2 players and up games should always be online regardless.
Thomas-Crown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Thomas-Crown
Member since 2006 • 30371 Posts

There's no way single player game mode will cease to exist. Although on-line gaming will be almost a standard feature in every game in the furture but there's no reason to completely erase single player mode. :P

eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 eclipsed4utoo
Member since 2006 • 10578 Posts

I think they should. I have so much fun playing games online that I wouldn't even dream of playing single player games ever again. I mean real people are so much more challanging than AI. Even with all the technology, AI can never compare to human intelligence.

I wouldn't care if all games were online only cause I will never play a single player game ever again. Too boring imo

perfect-dank-0
so what about the people who don't have broadband? You know, some people can't afford it or can't get it in their area. So does that mean they can't play games at all? now that's just stupid.
ocelotcougar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 ocelotcougar
Member since 2005 • 2099 Posts
I don't have internet, so no.
perfect-dank-0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 perfect-dank-0

I agree that all games should be online.

But I disagree with the guy before you who said that mp is a shallow experience. Funny because when I play a single player game and I know that countless other players have fought the exact same enemies and seen the same movie sequences, that to me is shallow. Not online mp. online mp is the best

perfect-dank-0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 perfect-dank-0

"so what about the people who don't have broadband? You know, some people can't afford it or can't get it in their area. So does that mean they can't play games at all? now that's just stupid. "

If you can afford a ps3 or 360, you can afford internet.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BioShockOwnz

I agree that all games should be online.

But I disagree with the guy before you who said that mp is a shallow experience. Funny because when I play a single player game and I know that countless other players have fought the exact same enemies and seen the same movie sequences, that to me is shallow. Not online mp. online mp is the best

perfect-dank-0

I would like to see someone play a game like Crackdown or Resistance the same way I did.

Killing off single player=killing off the industry

Not everyone likes multiplayer like you do. I like it, but to only get half the experience for my money is insane. Why would you want only half when you can have both?

jwat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jwat4
Member since 2003 • 1934 Posts
How could they cease to exist. Some games can be single player only but 2 players games offline should cease to exist.Deihmos
Well since I seem to find you every where and tend to agree and disagree with you quite frequently...I will do it again here... Why would 2 player games offline need to become non-existant...? If you elminate the possibilty to play with a friend in your own home you severly limit the playability of the game and increase the price of games or induce online fees...its one or the other but someone has to pay for the servers. You also eliminate the need for those controller ports in the front of your PS3 or 360... Racing games. Sports games. and yes even FIghting games with no offline multiplayer?....That would end my desires to play games....How fun would it be if everyone that wanted to play a video game had to go out and buy that system and that game and then had to pay to play online...that would not be all that great.... I think that both should be offered...depending on the game, but then again I would say thats up to the developer.
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Deihmos

"so what about the people who don't have broadband? You know, some people can't afford it or can't get it in their area. So does that mean they can't play games at all? now that's just stupid. "

perfect-dank-0
Even unemployed people can afford the internet.
Thomas-Crown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Thomas-Crown
Member since 2006 • 30371 Posts

perfect-dank-0

Buying a ps3 or a 360 is a one-off price, whereas for internet service is a on-going payment. Some people just cannot afford to spend that much every month.

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Deihmos
[QUOTE="Deihmos"]How could they cease to exist. Some games can be single player only but 2 players games offline should cease to exist.jwat4
Well since I seem to find you every where and tend to agree and disagree with you quite frequently...I will do it again here... Why would 2 player games offline need to become non-existant...? If you elminate the possibilty to play with a friend in your own home you severly limit the playability of the game and increase the price of games or induce online fees...its one or the other but someone has to pay for the servers. You also eliminate the need for those controller ports in the front of your PS3 or 360... Racing games. Sports games. and yes even FIghting games with no offline multiplayer?....That would end my desires to play games....How fun would it be if everyone that wanted to play a video game had to go out and buy that system and that game and then had to pay to play online...that would not be all that great.... I think that both should be offered...depending on the game, but then again I would say thats up to the developer.

You need to read carefully or maybe you did not understand. i never sais anything about 2 player offline should cease to exist, but there should always be an option to play online if the game is 2 players and above. Offline multiplayer should not cease to exist because it is important especially if friends come over.
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts
I deal with retards all day, you think I wanna be forced to "relax" with retards in my spare time? :lol:
Also, not all games are meant to be competitive.
jwat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jwat4
[QUOTE="perfect-dank-0"]

Deihmos

What?....Are you serious...I think an unemployed person would probably not have Broadband or even DSL or cable TV for that matter....they are probably not going to have a PS3 or 360 either.... Unless they are unemployed and living with their parents.
jwat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jwat4
[QUOTE="jwat4"][QUOTE="Deihmos"]How could they cease to exist. Some games can be single player only but 2 players games offline should cease to exist.Deihmos

You need to read carefully or maybe you did not understand. 2 player offline should not cease to exist but there should always be an option ot play online if the game is 2 players and above. Offline multiplayer should not cease to exist because it is important especially if friends come over.

You edited your post....nice try but I can read.....
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Deihmos
[QUOTE="Deihmos"][QUOTE="perfect-dank-0"]

jwat4

What?....Are you serious...I think an unemployed person would probably not have Broadband or even DSL or cable TV for that matter....they are probably not going to have a PS3 or 360 either.... Unless they are unemployed and living with their parents.

It was to emphasize on how cheap broadband has become. i pay 29.95USD for my connection and as you can see it's not slow.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BioShockOwnz
I deal with retards all day, you think I wanna be forced to "relax" with retards in my spare time? :lol:
emitsu97
Haha! :D
eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 eclipsed4utoo

perfect-dank-0
what about 14 year olds that receive it as a gift? their parents might not want to pay $50 a month for broadband just so they can play games online. What about people that live out in the country? Most of the time, DSL and Cable are not offered to people who live out in the boonies. What about those people? Should we just tell them not to buy a game console because all the games are going to be online only?
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Deihmos
[QUOTE="Deihmos"][QUOTE="jwat4"][QUOTE="Deihmos"]How could they cease to exist. Some games can be single player only but 2 players games offline should cease to exist.jwat4

You need to read carefully or maybe you did not understand. 2 player offline should not cease to exist but there should always be an option ot play online if the game is 2 players and above. Offline multiplayer should not cease to exist because it is important especially if friends come over.

You edited your post....nice try but I can read.....

What? I edited a typo it's the same response.
Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts
A majority of my favorite games are single player games. Resident Evil Tomb Raider Prince of Persia God of War The list goes on and on... If they were to cease making single player games, I wouldn't spend nearly as much on games.
Avatar image for Devils_Joker_22
Devils_Joker_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Devils_Joker_22
Member since 2005 • 5592 Posts

I don't have internet, so no.ocelotcougar

Bu..bu..bu...Your on the Internet now!

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Deihmos

A majority of my favorite games are single player games. Resident Evil Tomb Raider Prince of Persia God of War The list goes on and on... If they were to cease making single player games, I wouldn't spend nearly as much on games.Telekill

And how many of them do you still play? My guess is none unless you beat them over and over.

jwat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jwat4

[QUOTE="ocelotcougar"]I don't have internet, so no.Devils_Joker_22

Bu..bu..bu...Your on the Internet now!

School, Work, the Library, there are many ways to access the internet without directly paying for it.
eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 eclipsed4utoo
[QUOTE="Deihmos"][QUOTE="perfect-dank-0"]

jwat4

what if they received the PS3/360 before they became unemployed?
trasherhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 trasherhead
Member since 2005 • 3058 Posts
I disagree with you so much. Games are turning into interactive movies, and if we want to reach the levels that movies have reached then we have to tell stories. I like online, but it is just a shallow experience that I will forget when the next game in the series comes out. A good story lasts a lifetime. A good online lasts until the sequel comes out. Single player is more important.BioShockOwnz
Agree, WOW was great and all but I never got into the story realy. After playing the game for 6 months all I knew was that there was a war that was building up... Can't compare to the storys of MGS, FF or Resident Evil.
TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts
Many adventure games and RPGs cannot be converted to online only games. Take Final Fantasy, the only one that sucked was XI...why? Because it didn't have the deep emotion driven storyline and character developement like FFX or FFXII. Silent Hill, how could online improve this game? That game is all about the loneliness of wandering around, I don't want to see dozens of other gamers around when I'm sneaking through Silent Hill Hospital. Online is fun, but it isn't appropriate for all genres. I really like games that set a mood, have a deep storyline, emotion and well developed characters. I haven't found these in an online only game yet.
eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 eclipsed4utoo
[QUOTE="jwat4"][QUOTE="Deihmos"][QUOTE="perfect-dank-0"]

Deihmos

It was to emphasize on how cheap broadband has become. i pay 29.95USD for my connection and as you can see it's not slow.

for how many months? Time Warner Cable has their broadband service for $29.95 for the first 3 months....then it goes to $44.95 a month.
BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#29 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts
No way, I love singleplayer. They could have an online component to them, but they should be seperated from the singleplayer
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts

[QUOTE="Telekill"]A majority of my favorite games are single player games. Resident Evil Tomb Raider Prince of Persia God of War The list goes on and on... If they were to cease making single player games, I wouldn't spend nearly as much on games.Deihmos

And how many of them do you still play? My guess is none unless you beat them over and over.

What exactly is the answer to that question gonna prove?  He already stated he enjoys story and exploration driven games.
MikeinSC2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#31 MikeinSC2
Member since 2005 • 739 Posts

Umm, no. Single most idiotic suggestion I've ever read in my life.

-=Mike

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Deihmos
[QUOTE="Deihmos"][QUOTE="jwat4"][QUOTE="Deihmos"][QUOTE="perfect-dank-0"]

eclipsed4utoo

for how many months? Time Warner Cable has their broadband service for $29.95 for the first 3 months....then it goes to $44.95 a month.

I don't have Time Warner cable.
eclipsed4utoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 eclipsed4utoo
[QUOTE="eclipsed4utoo"][QUOTE="Deihmos"][QUOTE="jwat4"][QUOTE="Deihmos"][QUOTE="perfect-dank-0"]

Deihmos

I was just using Time Warner as an example of how they start out at a low price, but then charge more after a few months.
crck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 crck
Member since 2006 • 2559 Posts
Very stupid topic...  Just because you like multiplayer it doesn't mean everyone does.  Yes there are other people in this world besides you.  Get over yourself.
Shirley_Temple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 Shirley_Temple
Member since 2006 • 5927 Posts

No More Final Fantasy or Zelda? :o

Obviously my stance is in staunch opposition to wishing there were no more Single player games.

Gage_Creed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Gage_Creed
Member since 2006 • 267 Posts
Online gaming is OVERATED to me.  Don't get me wrong.....It canbe fun....BUT i would much rather play the story mode to a game single player than online.
Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

[QUOTE="Telekill"]A majority of my favorite games are single player games. Resident Evil Tomb Raider Prince of Persia God of War The list goes on and on... If they were to cease making single player games, I wouldn't spend nearly as much on games.Deihmos

I just got done replaying Resident Evil Zero and Resident Evil Remake on the Gamecube. I just got done playing through Zelda TP (probably wont play that one again for a while though). I've been playing Tomb Raider Legend off and on over the last year and have beat it numerous times. I'm playing through Resident Evil CV X again and I'm always picking up and playing RE 4 (god knows how many times I've beat it.)...same goes for RE1 - RE3 on PS1. I have 45 PS1 titles... 95% of which are single player only and I still play those if I'm in the mood for that paticular game. I have 25+ PS2 titles (with library still growing) and most of those titles dont have multiplayer. I'm really looking forward to Tomb Raider Anniversary and God of War II (just got the demo last night :D ) Both PS3 titles I own have multiplayer, however games like Resident Evil 5, Uncharted: Drake's Adventure and Assassin's Creed will be very enjoyable to me. Basically.. to me... having a strong single player story is more important than having multiplayer. Granted... multiplayer is fun, but I do like being immersed in a game's world without having another player around.
edhoja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 edhoja
Member since 2007 • 27 Posts

emitsu97

ha :lol:

and some games are meant to be played alone, like Silent Hill

Jaguilera85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jaguilera85
Member since 2004 • 426 Posts
[QUOTE="eclipsed4utoo"][QUOTE="Deihmos"]
for how many months? Time Warner Cable has their broadband service for $29.95 for the first 3 months....then it goes to $44.95 a month.eclipsed4utoo

I was just using Time Warner as an example of how they start out at a low price, but then charge more after a few months.

Cablevision (Optimum Online) does the same thing, new customers get a whole year at $30, then they charge $50 a month. I'm not sure if they have the same policy now, or if it's a shorter time span.
jpatterson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jpatterson
Member since 2006 • 428 Posts

Get off of these forums.

TwilightLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TwilightLord
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
No way. I personally like single player over online play.
Ontario21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ontario21
Member since 2004 • 374 Posts
HELL NO!!!!
irtaylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 irtaylor
Member since 2007 • 347 Posts
Thats like saying getting rid of video games...
slyydevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 slyydevil
Member since 2004 • 494 Posts
Everything shouldn't be thrown into the online realm for for many reasons. One of them is the fact that you can't have a real fleshed out story as an online game especially MMORPG's. Also have you played any of the SOCOM games online? Talk about racially tense! You can't even enjoy the experience, in fact, it can be a complete turnoff. Being Afro-American this is discouraging, so you're almost forced to form your own little "click" because of this. I go online to expand the playability of the title but with having those issues, it diminishes the product slightly. Now don't get me wrong, I've have excellent experiences online with complete strangers but that has been too few in between. How about the rest of you guys? I also forgot to throw in the online cheating as well.....
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Deihmos
[QUOTE="Jaguilera85"][QUOTE="eclipsed4utoo"][QUOTE="Deihmos"]
for how many months? Time Warner Cable has their broadband service for $29.95 for the first 3 months....then it goes to $44.95 a month.eclipsed4utoo

Cablevision (Optimum Online) does the same thing, new customers get a whole year at $30, then they charge $50 a month. I'm not sure if they have the same policy now, or if it's a shorter time span.

Cablevision is cheaper than time warner and offer faster speeds. Th eprice depends on your package. I have all 3 services with them so i get $20.00 offof the regular price of 44.95.
Paul_TheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Paul_TheGreat
Member since 2004 • 9085 Posts
Single player games are great.
majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#47 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
[QUOTE="TheFlush"]Many adventure games and RPGs cannot be converted to online only games. Take Final Fantasy, the only one that sucked was XI...why? Because it didn't have the deep emotion driven storyline and character developement like FFX or FFXII. .

FFXI sucked? Hmm, you mus've either a) had a bad reputation that prevented you from getting parties b) Played drg (If you played FFXI you know what this is.) and had a difficult time getting in a HNMLS. c) Really didn't have a lot of time to accomplish anything in this game

It would suck if they got rid of single player, but I don't see it being impossible though. Especially with casual gaming shooter fanatics.
nish14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 nish14
Member since 2007 • 216 Posts

I think they should. I have so much fun playing games online that I wouldn't even dream of playing single player games ever again. I mean real people are so much more challanging than AI. Even with all the technology, AI can never compare to human intelligence.

perfect-dank-0

yes multiplayer games are fun and there should be more of them, but knockin single player games like that isnt right. some of the best games are single player...all the RPGs (FFs), Ninja Gaiden, RE series....ZELDA, Mario, God of War...dude if u never play a single player game again, I feel sorry for u.

bkslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 bkslayer
Member since 2003 • 367 Posts
Everything shouldn't be thrown into the online realm for for many reasons. One of them is the fact that you can't have a real fleshed out story as an online game especially MMORPG's. Also have you played any of the SOCOM games online? Talk about racially tense! You can't even enjoy the experience, in fact, it can be a complete turnoff. Being Afro-American this is discouraging, so you're almost forced to form your own little "click" because of this. I go online to expand the playability of the title but with having those issues, it diminishes the product slightly. Now don't get me wrong, I've have excellent experiences online with complete strangers but that has been too few in between. How about the rest of you guys? I also forgot to throw in the online cheating as well.....slyydevil
Socom and their racists....they can really ruin the experience. The cheaters are far worse, and so are those damn little kids that swear glitching was so cool. That what ruined socom for me, and i imagine other online multiplayer shooters being the same. As for FFXI, the community was alot nicer but you had to play catch-up way too often.

This is why i dislike multiplayer sometimes, you have to go at the pace of others. Sure its fun, sure its great to have when you are bored, but what about when the servers are down, and maintenance is being done. Or you didnt pay your internet bills? Then what? Back to those old single player games, wishing your current game had SP? It's stupid and retarded to suggest getting rid of SP in all games.
Col_Swamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 Col_Swamp
Member since 2006 • 937 Posts

perfect-dank-0

omg how i disagree with this. my favorite series in the world is Metal Gear Solid, which isn't all that fun online (hence why Konami is yanking the online support for MGS3 Subsistence next month). i pretty much stick to single player games. the only online games i really play are SOCOM (of course) and RFOM. there are plenty of single player games out there that will dwarf most online games imo.