Share Your Thoughts. Playing Competitive Online Isn't As Fun Anymore.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

steverozco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 steverozco
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Playing any games that require somebody winning and somebody losing has lost it's apeal.

Simply put hacking, spamming and cheating have destroyed online gaming.

I don't know the gain for those who do, only thing that I can think of is that they have that much of a desire to win...

Lately it has benn MvC3 for me. How about you guys?

Tetrarch9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Tetrarch9
Member since 2010 • 2581 Posts
I feel like no online experience will ever top the fun I had with Cod4. For a variety of reasons. Mainly the amount of my friends that played and some cool people I met online. I have 30+ days of gametime and a tenth prestige cross on that game. It was also my first online game and PS3 game. 30days well spent. Plus the game was great.
steverozco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 steverozco

I feel like no online experience will ever top the fun I had with Cod4. For a variety of reasons. Mainly the amount of my friends that played and some cool people I met online. I have 30+ days of gametime and a tenth prestige cross on that game. It was also my first online game and PS3 game. 30days well spent. Plus the game was great.Tetrarch9

That is the only solution really, is to have a group of friends to play online with or play through the crap and find people online that feel the same way you do.

My first online game that I enjoyed the most was way back in ps2 era with socom 2.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

I've always prefered single player to online when judging a game. However I still like playing online, I guess I just don't really care about the "competitive" aspect. I just like the dynamic aspect of it. I actually get annoyed when I have to play against a clan of people that actually do take it too seriously. Most of the time I'd actually prefer if it was all randoms. One reason i actually liked the "mercenary deathmatch" mode in Black Ops.

As far as online games: I've really hardly got into that many of them.

-I did get hooked on Half-Life Deathmatch and the original Counterstrike back in the day.
-On console I was most recently pretty hooked to Bad Company 2 (like 400 hours which is probably the most I've played any single game EVER in any genre).
-I only played MW2 about 25 hours and Black Ops about 50 hours and I'm pretty bored of the Call of Duty-esque gameplay (the mercenary and barebones modes were the saving grace in Black Ops).

Other than that I have only minimally played online games, in the PS3 era mostly maybe just to go for trophy completion or I might not have bothered taking them online at all.I am however still highly anticipating Battlefield 3. I don't plan on playing in any form of clan or taking it seriously whatsoever. But I still expect to have a level of inherent teamwork like in Bad Company 2 and I expect to play online for 100's of hours.

Denji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Denji
Member since 2003 • 12757 Posts

Hacking and the fact that a lot of people I've come across took it way too seriously. Literally close to crying because they were losing sometimes. Constant mindless profanities and racial slurs from unintelligent fools, is what turned me off from online gaming.

shadow13702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 shadow13702
Member since 2008 • 1791 Posts

The only reason I really play online is because my friends do. I hardly ever play online unless my friends are on.

steverozco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 steverozco

Battlefield Bad Company 2 was the last game I spent plenty hours on.

Looking forward to Battlefield 3.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

I completely agree with the OP. Not much makes me want to play online games anymore. People are typically jerks across the net anymore so I'd normally prefer a good singleplayer game. Online co-op is really the only type of online gaming I do.

Danger24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Danger24-7
Member since 2010 • 123 Posts

Playing any games that require somebody winning and somebody losing has lost it's apeal.

I don't know the gain for those who do, only thing that I can think of is that they have that much of a desire to win...

steverozco

Im more of a SP player then MP. But the games that pretty much put me in my seat and looked at the tv all day and everyday was socom1, socom 2, and the 1st metal gear online. These games were so addicting and fun. I dont really get that out of MP games anymore for what reason I dont know. But I could remember playing socom from the time I got up and till the time I went to sleep for what a 1 and 30mins and be right back on the game. See socom wasnt just a game, it was like a 2nd family coming home to playing with (online).

The clans, friends on your list it was very fun and challenging. What I use to like about the MP in socom was that different clans had different lobbies like East 4 (ECC EastCoastClan), West 10 (WCO WestCoastOutlawz) we would go battle them, or there clan start some mess in our lobbie, they tell us what lobbie they were in and we go at it. Or a clan that just played one map, and one map only, like you would have your Frostfire clans, crossroad clans ect.....

Those are the kind of things I wish to see in MP games now of days, get away from the match making and quick match system and put lobbies in. Thats what made socom, and metal gear so different from other games online. They had match making system, but still had a lobbie system. Still till this day both of those games still has it with, MGS4, and Socom Con.

PS cant forget about clan games :)

steverozco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 steverozco

[QUOTE="steverozco"]

Danger24-7

Im more of a SP player then MP. But the games that pretty much put me in my seat and looked at the tv all day and everyday was socom1, socom 2, and the 1st metal gear online. These games were so addicting and fun. I dont really get that out of MP games anymore for what reason I dont know. But I could remember playing socom from the time I got up and till the time I went to sleep for what a 1 and 30mins and be right back on the game. See socom wasnt just a game, it was like a 2nd family coming home to playing with (online).

The clans, friends on your list it was very fun and challenging. What I use to like about the MP in socom was that different clans had different lobbies like East 4 (ECC EastCoastClan), West 10 (WCO WestCoastOutlawz) we would go battle them, or there clan start some mess in our lobbie, they tell us what lobbie they were in and we go at it. Or a clan that just played one map, and one map only, like you would have your Frostfire clans, crossroad clans ect.....

Those are the kind of things I wish to see in MP games now of days, get away from the match making and quick match system and put lobbies in. Thats what made socom, and metal gear so different from other games online. They had match making system, but still had a lobbie system. Still till this day both of those games still has it with, MGS4, and Socom Con.

Those were the days, socom 2 and metal gear online. you just made me have flshbacks.

AJC3317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#11 AJC3317
Member since 2003 • 2546 Posts
i play online games with friends, but if i'm by myself i can't play a game like cod or killzone online for more than a couple matches. it's just too boring
Danger24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Danger24-7

[QUOTE="Danger24-7"]

[QUOTE="steverozco"]

steverozco

Those were the days, socom 2 and metal gear online. you just made me have flshbacks.

Haha exactly bro. Or how about founding a room in socom with snipers only, or pistols only rooms, ohh cant forget shotgun only in DG or top of the roof.

I could remember the one on ones for different sites, like gamebattles WHEN IT WAS GOOD, socomarena, socom underground, or just 1v1 some1 that

was talking mad sht lol. 1 more thing cant forget about some1 calling some1 a m14, iw 80 noob damn them were the days loved it and for sure as hell

miss it. What was ur name, and clan in socom2?

bblundell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bblundell
Member since 2006 • 1086 Posts
It has changed a bit since I first started online gaming.........I remember playing Ghost Recon 2 on my xbox for hours and hours. I also remember playing Quake all day long back in the day. Seems like the golden days have passed.
Danger24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Danger24-7

It has changed a bit since I first started online gaming.........I remember playing Ghost Recon 2 on my xbox for hours and hours. I also remember playing Quake all day long back in the day. Seems like the golden days have passed.bblundell

Surprise you didnt play Halo back in the day. For some odd reasons those were the rivals back in the day socom vs halo.

J-Man725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 J-Man725
Member since 2006 • 6786 Posts

I've never been much into multiplayer, but I'll admit I did have a hell of a time playing COD4 online for a while. It was balanced, I got reasonably good at it, met some cool people, had some fun moments. I can't really say that about any other online experience I had before or since, including the latest COD games. For some reason COD4 just seemed to strike a certain chord with me at that time.

bblundell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bblundell
Member since 2006 • 1086 Posts

[QUOTE="bblundell"]It has changed a bit since I first started online gaming.........I remember playing Ghost Recon 2 on my xbox for hours and hours. I also remember playing Quake all day long back in the day. Seems like the golden days have passed.Danger24-7

Surprise you didnt play Halo back in the day. For some odd reasons those were the rivals back in the day socom vs halo.

I've always found Halo to be generic.....no offense to any of the fans. Socom was a great game back in the day as well. Socom 2 was beast!
steverozco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 steverozco

[QUOTE="steverozco"]

[QUOTE="Danger24-7"]

Danger24-7

Haha exactly bro. Or how about founding a room in socom with snipers only, or pistols only rooms, ohh cant forget shotgun only in DG or top of the roof.

I could remember the one on ones for different sites, like gamebattles WHEN IT WAS GOOD, socomarena, socom underground, or just 1v1 some1 that

was talking mad sht lol. 1 more thing cant forget about some1 calling some1 a m14, iw 80 noob damn them were the days loved it and for sure as hell

miss it. What was ur name, and clan in socom2?

I went by S.O. Grimmey and had a huge clan called the U.N.

I loved playing as a terrorist in the hostage map where the seals came up on a beach.

I would place mines around the hostages and make them immpossible to rescue.

or have a few mines spread out, keep the seals busy with them. I loved the mines.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I'll admit I much prefer mostly single-player games, something like Red Dead Redemption or Bioshock. However, I lot of times I come home after school and work and then think to myself: what do I want to play? A lot of times, I just feel too wiped out to get involved in a singleplayer game. If a feel like I'm only going to play for an hour or two at the most, I usually will pop in Black Ops, Bad Company 2, or whatever multiplayer game I have at the moment. It's not that I prefer multiplayer over singleplayer games under normal circumstances - given time constraints, however, I find myself to much prefer them. Hopefully you can understand what I mean.

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

It is, but not as much because most of the novelty has worn off. It's become interwoven into games for so long that it doesn't have the same appeal as it would have a while ago.

It also does depend on what online games you're playing; Fighting games and sports games are 100% guaranteed to have pricks hounding you for whatever reason.

z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

i generally only play the sp campaigns as i don't have 8-16 hours a day to get good enough to play online.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

I like playing online. Its usually just really quick fun. And its fun knowing that the guy you just killed is really alive out there somewhere.