This topic is locked from further discussion.

baldycornrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 baldycornrow
Member since 2006 • 34 Posts

I have been following several RPG's on the PSP and i have only one (sega genisi collection). i'd just like to here it from some other people how they enjoy certain psp rpg's or ones that look really awesome.

noirsake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 noirsake
Member since 2005 • 241 Posts
omg someone else finally sees a problem with the psp!! i have not heard of any good rpgs for the psp yet. Square enix needs to put a good rpg from the ps1 onto a umd disc for the psp. nothing is better than  grinding in class XD
AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts
FFT, FF1+2, and FF7- Crisis Core are all coming to PSP.
baldycornrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 baldycornrow
yes well FF is great and all... but... I'd like to hear some more. besides i think crisis core will be crap (I've played dirge of Cerberus) and only cater to the fans. also elder scrolls travels really doesn't get my blood pumping. i don't care for graphics either because i would've bought popolocrois by now if i could find it. I just want an rpg with a compelling story that plays the strengths of the psp and doesn't feel like a wannabee ps2 game (FPS' in particular)
AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts
yes well FF is great and all... but... I'd like to hear some more. besides i think crisis core will be crap (I've played dirge of Cerberus) and only cater to the fans. also elder scrolls travels really doesn't get my blood pumping. i don't care for graphics either because i would've bought popolocrois by now if i could find it. I just want an rpg with a compelling story that plays the strengths of the psp and doesn't feel like a wannabee ps2 game (FPS' in particular)baldycornrow
import Tales of Eternia if you have to, its hands-down the best PSP RPG out, although only in Europe.
Marine387

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Marine387
Member since 2007 • 98 Posts
they just need to make an FF7 and 8 for the PSP and i will be happy
baldycornrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 baldycornrow
ahhhhhh! my Achilles heel! (importing.) Any chance of it coming state side or care to explain how to import (good ways.) Ah hell i'll look it up... thank you though
Avatar image for tunasandwich395
tunasandwich395

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tunasandwich395
Member since 2006 • 996 Posts
I love the Legend of Heroes trilogy! Check it out
hama666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 hama666
Member since 2004 • 3061 Posts
If you want classy RPGs then get a DS. Seriously im not trolling or bashing the PSP; its a decent handheld console but you're not going to find alot of RPGs on it, yet alone decent ones.
baldycornrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 baldycornrow
i suppose i should've mentioned that i am the proud owner of 2 ds lite's and an impressive collection of games but thank you for your suggestion. i should also mention while i'm at it that i am a hardcore pc player (i have a entire 6 drawr dreser dedicated to holding my nearly 3000 games) but i like the potential of the psp so lets please just discuss it exclusively or throw out a rumor or 2...thank you
pnoyd96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 pnoyd96
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

i agree with baldycornrow (lol)
I wouldnt mind a 2d rpg as long as it has alot of gameplay. I've played PoPoLoCrois for the psp (very recently, just beat it an hour ago actually) and the only downside to the game was the dubs.
But another idea i wouldnt mind is that if space is limited, why dont they try making multi UMD games? Sure it would be a hassel to switch umds back and forth but if it improves rpgs for psp i think they should go for it

UntoldDreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 UntoldDreams
Member since 2006 • 3238 Posts
i suppose i should've mentioned that i am the proud owner of 2 ds lite's and an impressive collection of games but thank you for your suggestion. i should also mention while i'm at it that i am a hardcore pc player (i have a entire 6 drawr dreser dedicated to holding my nearly 3000 games) but i like the potential of the psp so lets please just discuss it exclusively or throw out a rumor or 2...thank youbaldycornrow

Japan gets a bunch of PSP RPG's.

Several of the Tales Series, Suikoden, Jean Darc, Magna Carta, etc. etc.

I guess eventually some of them will make it over...

You might like Valkyrie Profile.

baldycornrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 baldycornrow
not gonna happen... to be perfectly honest most games aren;t even filling up half of the umd disks they're on. most psp games don't take advantage of the 1.8 gigabytes at their disposal because the psp games aren't selling to terribly well (good but not as good as ds) and the cost's of making a game are comprable to that of a ps2 game which quite honestly most developers think sucks. As the psp moves on in life and hit's 50 million units you should see games with actual production values that were intended for the handheld since it's inception. of course there are games like gta that are miles ahead of everything else but they too are not really eating up a massive chunk of umd space. It is also helpfull to mention that the psp's processor is locked at 2 thirds strength and so far only a few games to date are really eating up that processor power. also collections like sega genisis collection are coming out with like 32 games on them and still the whole thing with video's and all is still about 25% of the umd's space. You could also pack a game like ff7 on there with no difficulty at all as the games total sive was in the ball park of 700mb's of space which is not even half of the UMD's space...the reason they don't rehash games like ff7 like crazy is confusing me but maybe they really do want to go forward with new I.T.'s on the psp. overall the UMD has more then enough space for the psp's hardware needs
Gamerzheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gamerzheaven
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

I just wish they could make Chrono Trigger/Cross on the psp

baldycornrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 baldycornrow
if you ask me i think squarenix is sniffing out the market with ff1-2 and crisis core before deciding to port like crazy
flfylmnfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 flfylmnfish
Member since 2005 • 1173 Posts
Well, a few Final Fantasy games will be released in the future... Also, the Legend of Heroes trilogy and PoPoLoCrois have great storylines, but lack fun gameplay...Maybe Valkyrie Profile would be your best bet, as of now. To be honest, the PSP doesn't have a strong selection of role-playing games. If you're looking for quality handheld RPGs, the GBA is truly, an RPG machine.
Petshopboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 Petshopboy
Member since 2003 • 1181 Posts
I think it's funny that Sony's PS and PS2 were RPG kings for so long, and they can hardly churn out a single decent game for the PSP.  I was a huge PS and PS2 fan for one reason (other than MGS) and that was the RPGs.  I really wish developers would see that they are hurting the PSPs fan base by not releasing more RPGs for the system.  Square Enix ports old games like FF for the DS and GBA all the time.  Can't the PSP get some love too?
nevereathim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 nevereathim
Member since 2006 • 2161 Posts
I SEE THIS EXACT SAME THREAD EVERY SINGEL DAY, BY A DIFFERENT PERSON WILL YOU STOP IT. If you want a good rpg go buy a DS, if you want even better ones wait a year and the PSP will have it. Capiche?
ignoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#19 ignoman
Member since 2003 • 992 Posts
I dont think PSP or DS have been that great for RPGs, compared to GBAA or PS2.

I'd sa get Valyrie Profile or Monster Hunter, then hold out for D&D Tactics, Jeanne D'Arc, or some of the FF games.  Tales of Eternia and BOFIII are also import-worthy.

HarouJF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 HarouJF
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
tales of eternia is great! i am currently playin it, i did not complete it when i have it in my psOne in the past!! so its great to be able to complete it now =) the story is good, game play is good, nice music, and also it has a final fantasy feel~ ~ try it if u wan
flfylmnfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 flfylmnfish
Member since 2005 • 1173 Posts
I SEE THIS EXACT SAME THREAD EVERY SINGEL DAY, BY A DIFFERENT PERSON WILL YOU STOP IT. If you want a good rpg go buy a DS, if you want even better ones wait a year and the PSP will have it. Capiche?nevereathim
Um, actually, the DS also has a very weak selection of quality RPGs as well. In fact, I can only think of two traditional RPGs actually worth getting. In fact, the DS is strong in almost every genre but in RPGs. If you're going to give advice, give correct advice, and lets try to keep our cool, shall we? :/
azzezino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 azzezino
Member since 2002 • 4570 Posts
ahhhhhh! my Achilles heel! (importing.) Any chance of it coming state side or care to explain how to import (good ways.) Ah hell i'll look it up... thank you thoughbaldycornrow
I bought mine through eBay, if that helps.
Topmanfaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Topmanfaz
Member since 2005 • 188 Posts
The best rpg for the PSP so far has to be Breath of Fire 3. Although not as good as FF7 and Chrono Cross (which can be played through certain 'means' ) it has very deep gameplay, okay soundtrack, amazing battle system and is very long (30+ hours). Although it is very old (1998 GOSH) the graphics are amazing and a very detailed for a 9 yr old game. This by far the best bet for someone looking for a traditional RPG for the PSP.
Ice-Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 Ice-Cube
Member since 2003 • 2434 Posts
Hmm I wonder what Oblivion will be like for the PSP in April. Will it be any good?
Zerostatic0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#25 Zerostatic0
Member since 2005 • 4263 Posts
Yeah, the DS is the choice for RPGs, for the simple fact that it has backwards compatiability with Gameboy Advance which was an RPG monster. I mean with a DS, you can play Final Fantasy 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. Also Dragon Quest is coming to the DS which is just as big as Final Fantasy in Japan, and Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales is coming as well and besides that there are about a half-dozen decent RPGs for the DS such as Contact, Mario&Luigi:Partners in time, Children of Mana, Lost Magic, and Magical Starsign. Some of those didn't get the best scores on Gamespot, but they're the type of games that RPG fans would appreciate
B-bad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#26 B-bad
Member since 2002 • 5705 Posts
There aren't many great RPg on the PSP yet but there are some that are worth playing Tales of Eternia is awesome, Dungeon Siege, Valkyrie Profile, PoPoLo Crois, Kingdom of Paradise, Monster Hunter, Monster Kingdom, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Gurumin are all cool and worth playing. I really wish more of the PSP japan Rpg's make the jump stateside Breath of Fire 3, Jeanee da Arc, Tales of the World, Tales of Destiny 2 would all be cool.
arm9218

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 arm9218
Member since 2007 • 503 Posts

they just need to make an FF7 and 8 for the PSP and i will be happyMarine387

same here. btw, are FF1+2 coming together?

Working_Stiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Working_Stiff
Member since 2004 • 2253 Posts

*Now, I dont really have any proof of this, this is just my impression and not being stated as absolute fact*

To the person who said square should get to putting out more games on the PSP: I agree, Id rather play them on my PSP than my DS, but I don't know if it is going to happen (at least not to a great degree).

SquareEnix appears to primarily support whichever system is the biggest seller in Japan (Maybe worldwide, but I think they are more concerned with Japan) I believe the PS1 was for its day = all the support it got. In fact I cant think of one JRPG for the N64, however that may just be because I didn't pay attention to the N64 much during its lifetime. Then it supported the PS2, biggest seller of its Generation. The GC got a few token games (Such as Crystal Chronicles), but PS2 definately got the bulk of the support. Now I believe the DS has outsold the PSP in Japan (and everywhere pretty much), so Square is focusing support on it. Does that mean the PSP wont get some from square? No, we've already seen that they do plan to release some, but the PSP isn't getting what to me are the big games, such as FFIII, FFXII revenant wings, and DQIX (or is it VIII, I cant remember).

Now, other RPG devs will likely follow suit since it stands to reason that Square thinks the platform to support is the DS, so anyone on the fence about which handheld to get and is an avid RPG lover will likely be swayed to the DS, so they are likely to think that the DS is the best system to release those style games on (Plus I believe the DS is less expensive to develop for).

* Just my 2cents.