Recently bought a PS3, my thoughts.

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

moh_sakhaii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 moh_sakhaii
Member since 2003 • 857 Posts

I recently bought a PS3 with 3 games Killzone2, GOW3 and Uncharted2.

I also own a good PC gaming rig and an XBOX360. Well, overall I like PS3. i'm still not used to its gamepad and prefer XBOX's gamepad more, it just doesn't feel comfortable like XBOX, but the main reason for buying a console is how it's games are in terms of quality.

I begin with Killzone2, It's just outright amazing, I couldn't expect it to be so good. It's graphics are excellent, you can not still watch a console game up close like PC and if you do it looks blurry and low res, but if you take your distance from the HDTV, it's amazing. Gameplay is really satisfying too.

Now onto uncharted2, I was disappointed, mainly because it was praised for it's graphics, it's not good atl all in terms of graphics, the lightning is cheap, low res textures are everywhere, only facial animations are good and those are cutscenes, might as well be pre-rendered movies. gameplay here is just like a polished tomb raider game, which is not so much. This game getting a graphics award on all platforms is just not right.

GOW3, the graphics and gamplay are superb, very excellent. It's just what it's advertised to be.

I intend to buy the following games also: heavy rain, resistance2 and MGS4.

Do you guys have any suggestion on what games i should try? Also your input my on my ramblings is quite welcome :D

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

I also own a good PC gaming rig and an XBOX360. Well, overall I like PS3. i'm still not used to its gamepad and prefer XBOX's gamepad more, it just doesn't feel comfortable like XBOX, but the main reason for buying a console is how it's games are in terms of quality.

I begin with Killzone2, It's just outright amazing, I couldn't expect it to be so good. It's graphics are excellent, you can not still watch a console game up close like PC and if you do it looks blurry and low res, but if you take your distance from the HDTV, it's amazing. Gameplay is really satisfying too.

Now onto uncharted2, I was disappointed, mainly because it was praised for it's graphics, it's not good atl all in terms of graphics, the lightning is cheap, low res textures are everywhere, only facial animations are good and those are cutscenes, might as well be pre-rendered movies. gameplay here is just like a polished tomb raider game, which is not so much. This game getting a graphics award on all platforms is just not right.

GOW3, the graphics and gamplay are superb, very excellent. It's just what it's advertised to be.

Do you guys have any suggestion on what games i should try? Also I appreciate your comments on my ramblings :D

moh_sakhaii

Sweet Blog. Try the Recommendations Thread.

moh_sakhaii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 moh_sakhaii

Thanks friend, I will. I'm just interested in exclusive games of PS3, because I have nearly all games on my PC, if console exclusive on 360 and now I'm on a hunt for good PS3 exclusives :D I also like the people's input on what I have said.

swguy123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 swguy123
Member since 2010 • 401 Posts

I dont really recommend Resistance 2. Some good games are: Little Big Planet, Demons Souls, InFamous, Ratchet and Clank games.

moh_sakhaii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 moh_sakhaii

I dont really recommend Resistance 2. Some good games are: Little Big Planet, Demons Souls, InFamous, Ratchet and Clank games.

swguy123

Thanks friend, I will consider it.

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts
MGS4 for sure, still one of my favorite games ever and I didnt even play the first three. Congrats on your purchase and have fun!
moh_sakhaii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 moh_sakhaii

MGS4 for sure, still one of my favorite games ever and I didnt even play the first three. Congrats on your purchase and have fun!AdamPA1006

Yeah, besides heavy rain that's one priority for sure.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#8 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I agree on Uncharted 2, I know everyone loves it but I still feel like it's a Tomb Raider ripoff with Gears combat. Since you already have a PC: -Heavy Rain -Metal Gear Solid 4 -Valkyria Chronicles -Ratchet & Clank (Crack in Time is better, but the first isn't bad if you find it cheaper) On PSN you can't go wrong with Shatter (if you don't already own it on PC), Wipeout HD, and any of the Pixeljunk games. Just know that Eden is a bit weird. But if you like weird, Flower and especially Noby Noby Boy are must haves.
dragonzw2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 dragonzw2c
Member since 2006 • 121 Posts

bought ps3 end of july...glad i did but upcoming convinced me to get it.hopefully no more delays...just ordered midnight club los angeles looks like a keeper ...played uc2 and gow3 demos...didnt convince me to buy game so ill wait on those...not so impressive...my next purchases will be between red dead redemption,two worlds 2,dirt 2,..etc

firefluff3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 firefluff3
Member since 2010 • 2073 Posts

Defo some ratchen and clank games, :')

moh_sakhaii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 moh_sakhaii

I agree on Uncharted 2, I know everyone loves it but I still feel like it's a Tomb Raider ripoff with Gears combat. Since you already have a PC: -Heavy Rain -Metal Gear Solid 4 -Valkyria Chronicles -Ratchet & Clank (Crack in Time is better, but the first isn't bad if you find it cheaper) On PSN you can't go wrong with Shatter (if you don't already own it on PC), Wipeout HD, and any of the Pixeljunk games. Just know that Eden is a bit weird. But if you like weird, Flower and especially Noby Noby Boy are must haves.DJ_Lae

Yeah, I agree with you and nice suggestions, much obliged. Also loved those PSN recommendations too.

moh_sakhaii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 moh_sakhaii

Defo some ratchen and clank games, :')

firefluff3

Yeah, ratchet & clank, everybody seems to recommend it :D

shaunchgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 shaunchgo
Member since 2006 • 4605 Posts

If you're a fan of baseball, MLB 10 the Show is a must have. With that said, congrats on the purchase and I completely understand your comment regarding the 360/PS3 controller. I own both and prefer the 360 controller for shooters mainly. Also, Iheard Gamestop sells add on "PS3 trigger buttons" for fairly cheap. Everytime I go to Gamestop, I forget to ask, but I will be there Tuesday for Reach.. so hopefully I will remember.

Wild_Card

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#14 Wild_Card
Member since 2005 • 4034 Posts

TS, good choice on your first batch of games. i some what agree with you on uncharted 2. i was not blown away by the graphics as much as some peoplewere. the art style is really cool in places and i think it looks great over all but not the end all be all some think it is. Still its a fun game with great characters and dialoge. C.Black did a fantastic job as Chloe. You might want to rent resistence 2. i found it a bit meh. not bad but it did not impress me at all in any way. games to get would be MGS4,LBP,Valkaria chronicals maybe infamousjust to name a few. as far as PSN i would recommend pixel junk shooter for sure. fun game with a cool graphical style. You will get used to the controller.i wish sony would have made the handles on it a little longer and texture them a bit for grip. Any way have fun.

octoman115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 octoman115
Member since 2010 • 765 Posts

You haven't truly experienced the PS3 if you haven't beaten Demon's Souls at least once. Also inFamous and Valkyria Chronicles are pretty excellent.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

why do people care about graphics? the game can look as real as it can be but if its not fun or engaging then why bother, just my imo

moh_sakhaii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 moh_sakhaii

TS, good choice on your first batch of games. i some what agree with you on uncharted 2. i was not blown away by the graphics as much as some peoplewere. the art style is really cool in places and i think it looks great over all but not the end all be all some think it is. Still its a fun game with great characters and dialoge. C.Black did a fantastic job as Chloe. You might want to rent resistence 2. i found it a bit meh. not bad but it did not impress me at all in any way. games to get would be MGS4,LBP,Valkaria chronicals maybe infamousjust to name a few. as far as PSN i would recommend pixel junk shooter for sure. fun game with a cool graphical style. You will get used to the controller.i wish sony would have made the handles on it a little longer and texture them a bit for grip. Any way have fun.

Wild_Card

MGS4,LBP,Valkaria chronicals and pixel junk on PSN, got it, thanks.

moh_sakhaii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 moh_sakhaii

You haven't truly experienced the PS3 if you haven't beaten Demon's Souls at least once. Also inFamous and Valkyria Chronicles are pretty excellent.

octoman115

Valkyria Chronicles, I was not even heard of it and everbody recommends it, guess I should investigate, hmm. Demon's souls, yeah, it will be on my list of purchase.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MonkeySpot

octoman115

Hey man...

You really shouldn't say things like this. It's how people get mad at you when they feel suckered into purchases. The power of suggestion should be respected, because some folk can't think for themselves. That game is really for fans of the genre only, it's rather hardcore. Your other two are good, though. Anyone can pick-up play "InFAMOUS" at least for a little while, and "Valkyria" is really accessible too, ofr it's involvement... But "Demon's Souls" has brought seasoned gamers to tears...

:)

moh_sakhaii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 moh_sakhaii

[QUOTE="octoman115"]

MonkeySpot

Hey man...

You really shouldn't say things like this. It's how people get mad at you when they feel suckered into purchases. The power of suggestion should be respected, because some folk can't think for themselves. That game is really for fans of the genre only, it's rather hardcore. Your other two are good, though. Anyone can pick-up play "InFAMOUS" at least for a little while, and "Valkyria" is really accessible too, ofr it's involvement... But "Demon's Souls" has brought seasoned gamers to tears...

Man, I appreciate your concern and all, but a game being hard is not a con in my book.

tonyf55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 tonyf55
Member since 2004 • 725 Posts

For exclusives (since thats what it sounds like you are looking for) I would recommend ModNation Racers & inFamous.

SadPSPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#22 SadPSPAddict
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts

And come November there is of course GT5 :D

moh_sakhaii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 moh_sakhaii

I have played too many racing games, but GT5 will be a purchase if I find it really groundbreaking.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

This will get locked soon for asking of recommending a game.... Plus the fact its mostly blog material...

Warriorboy1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#25 Warriorboy1990
Member since 2008 • 3813 Posts

Do you guys have any suggestion on what games i should try? Also your input my on my ramblings is quite welcome :D

moh_sakhaii
Welcome to the dark side my friend. Hope you enjoy your PS3.
PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

I'd say get Demon Souls if the theme of he game even remotely interests you. The first few levels are tough and a bit boring but soon enough you can start upgrading your weapons armor skills etc and it's a blast. On Uncharted 2 I personally found it to be a great game, the game was just smooth in platforming, puzzles and combat, alot of environment variety, and while the graphics are a bit less in some area's overall I found it to be quite good looking. The second half of the game is better by the way IMO, the whole museum / jungle thing at the start is kinda boring compared to the rest of the game. UC2 also has decent replay value. Gran Turismo 5 is definately worth waiting for, it'll be good. MGS4 is awesome, though it's story heavy so be prepared for that. Heavy rain is pretty god for one or two playthroughs, ittle big planet and Monation Racers can be fun in offline multiplayer. Ah I could go on just google a bit for PS3 exclusives list that is a bit up to date and you should get a good idea of what's out there. Enjoy your p3 :D

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

Wait a minute,did you just have a dig at UNCHARTED 2's graphics?.Seriously that game has the best graphics as at now,argue all you want but its the fact

kong_sevixnine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kong_sevixnine
Member since 2008 • 940 Posts

I dont really recommend Resistance 2. Some good games are: Little Big Planet...

swguy123
Screw that.
Wild_Card

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#29 Wild_Card
Member since 2005 • 4034 Posts

Wait a minute,did you just have a dig at UNCHARTED 2's graphics?.Seriously that game has the best graphics as at now,argue all you want but its the fact

megaspiderweb09
nope not a fact.
moh_sakhaii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 moh_sakhaii

I'd say get Demon Souls if the theme of he game even remotely interests you. The first few levels are tough and a bit boring but soon enough you can start upgrading your weapons armor skills etc and it's a blast. On Uncharted 2 I personally found it to be a great game, the game was just smooth in platforming, puzzles and combat, alot of environment variety, and while the graphics are a bit less in some area's overall I found it to be quite good looking. The second half of the game is better by the way IMO, the whole museum / jungle thing at the start is kinda boring compared to the rest of the game. UC2 also has decent replay value. Gran Turismo 5 is definately worth waiting for, it'll be good. MGS4 is awesome, though it's story heavy so be prepared for that. Heavy rain is pretty god for one or two playthroughs, ittle big planet and Monation Racers can be fun in offline multiplayer. Ah I could go on just google a bit for PS3 exclusives list that is a bit up to date and you should get a good idea of what's out there. Enjoy your p3 :D

PetJel

Thanks for the advice, demon souls will be a purchase for sure.

dkjestrup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dkjestrup
Member since 2007 • 1214 Posts

[QUOTE="swguy123"]

moh_sakhaii

Thanks friend, I will consider it.

I can back him up on Demons Souls and LBP. I've also heard great things about Infamous and R&C:ACiT Also, I thought the first resistance was better than the second. Neither are pretty, but it feels a lot more oldschool.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
i dont see how u can praise gow3's graphics and think uncharted 2's isnt good :S they are pretty much the same if not graeter for uncharted
moh_sakhaii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 moh_sakhaii

i dont see how u can praise gow3's graphics and think uncharted 2's isnt good :S they are pretty much the same if not graeter for unchartedcampzor

You know GOW3 graphically outshines every single game in it's genre. However, uncharted2 is way behind its competition. As I said I'm so pissed off because it got the best graphics award from Gamespot on all platforms.

M3ran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#34 M3ran
Member since 2010 • 686 Posts
but you see i dont think there are any games like uncharted 2 in xbox360,personally i havent seen anything like uncharted 2 ,on xbox360. yes killzone is really awsome,i havent got GOW3,i should be getting it. heavyrain and metal gear solid 4 are both 10 out of 10 IMO. specially MGS4
M3ran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 M3ran
thats what i think too.uncharted 2 has an amazing graphics compared to its type on 360 or even PC
M3ran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 M3ran
[QUOTE="megaspiderweb09"]

Wild_Card
nope not a fact.

100% agree on this uncharted 2s graphics is ultimate,i personally havent seen anything like it
M3ran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 M3ran

And come November there is of course GT5 :D

SadPSPAddict
im so looking forward to that game.it is gonna be heavy
M3ran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 M3ran
MGS4 for sure, still one of my favorite games ever and I didnt even play the first three. Congrats on your purchase and have fun!AdamPA1006
yeah i think so too,and also remember the camera tool,you can take pictures and save it to your ps3 and then you can transfer it to PC:D can you do that on 360?nope and also the GT5 is gonna be one of the greatest games of all time consider saving up for that too.its coming NOV. 2nd if not changed
sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

I just finished red dead redemption, get that as fast as you can, im still playing it now for all the extras. Ratchet and clank:A crank in time is brilliant, Infamous is a must have and buy gt5 when it releases, if you have some friends with ps3's then get scott pilgrim on psn, it is very fun multiplayer, grats on your purchase, I love my ps3

Jshoelace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Jshoelace
Member since 2008 • 846 Posts

I recently bought Resistance 2 for £5 and thought it was a really good game. The graphics are dated but the gameplay was really fun! Some of the guns are amazing and I had fun whilst playing it. I even started a new campaign as soon as I finished it the first time round. Online isnt that great though. For a very cheap game I would defo try it out. If you dont like it then at least you havent wasted that much money. The zombie sections with the 'ripper' gun are worth playing for sure!

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts
low res textures are everywhere,moh_sakhaii
I'm not really sure if you're serious here...
Asim90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Asim90
Member since 2005 • 3692 Posts

Make sure you get Wipeout HD, its incredible!

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts

Make sure you get Wipeout HD, its incredible!

Asim90
It's VERY hard though.
Avatar image for deactivated-5bf295e21ce16
deactivated-5bf295e21ce16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5bf295e21ce16
Member since 2010 • 47 Posts
i suggest "Siren: New Translation" & "Heavy Rain". it's ashame you didnt like Uncharted games much
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MonkeySpot

Who-ever said "Screw That" to the LBP suggestion, I say BIG UPS!!! That game suuuuuuuucks. And as far as liking "Uncharted" - Taste is a beautiful thing... Anyone who says you're crazy for not liking a game is self-centered and ignorant. I'll take "Underworld" over UC any day.

Avatar image for Valkyriareaper1
Valkyriareaper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Valkyriareaper1
Member since 2009 • 526 Posts

I personally despise Resistance, and I do not like Uncharted 2 at all (except multiplayer looks good). I would recommend you get Valkyria Chronicles. Its a very un-appreciated game and I think its the best game on the PS3. Also they are gonna announce Valkyria Chronicles 3 soon (VC2 is on PSP which is a must have).

smsnsimba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 smsnsimba
Member since 2006 • 139 Posts

[QUOTE="MonkeySpot"]

[QUOTE="octoman115"]

moh_sakhaii

Hey man...

Man, I appreciate your concern and all, but a game being hard is not a con in my book.

It better not be, because Demon's Souls WILL bend you over. . .On that note, I did love it for it's tactical and methodical style of play. Button mashing=death! Don't expect much in terms of story. Graphics ok; level design is good, but the game shines in gameplay. Beating a game never felt more earned or rewarding, and PvP owns.
GameHog9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GameHog9
Member since 2008 • 1052 Posts

Congrats!

Im actually a PS3 gamer whose recently turned to the PC, cant get enough Roma Surrectum :D

CheekyIchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#49 CheekyIchi
Member since 2010 • 739 Posts

You might like GTAIV and Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

[QUOTE="octoman115"]

MonkeySpot

Hey man...

True enough, but I am glad other gamers on these forums "suckered" me into getting Demon's Souls. I had a love/hate relationship with the game, but I definitely got my money's worth out of it. So really, I guess I owe a thank you to everyone on this board who got me interested in Demon's Souls. Great game. Now inFamous, on the other hand... wish I hadn't been "suckered". :P