really don't like uncharted Drakes Fortune, are the other two much better?

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#1 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts

So I bought the Uncharted collection and so far I'm not liking Uncharted Drakes Fortune. Its controls are terrible and whilst the gun play is fun, the enemy encounters just feel repetitive. I know the other two games are meant to be better, but how significantly better are they? Will I miss much in terms of story if I skip Uncharted 1?

digitm64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By digitm64
Member since 2013 • 470 Posts

Uncharted 1 isn't that bad, I would say finish it, that way you can really see how much 2 improved on it. Though I don't think you'll miss much of the story if you missed it.

In terms of better games in order:-

Number 1 - Uncharted 2

Number 2 - Uncharted 3

Number 3 - Uncharted 1

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

@Chris_53:

Uncharted 1 is easily the worst of the 3. I started with Uncharted 2 and then went to Uncharted 3 and then went to Uncharted 1. After playing and really enjoying part 2 and 3, I didn't enjoy part 1 as much and I thought the graphics looked dated.

If you want, you can just skip to part 2. I don't think playing part 1 is really necessary.

jakesnakeel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 jakesnakeel
Member since 2003 • 326 Posts

@Chris_53: If I were you, I would just skip them all. Others may be "better", but it just sounds like it's not your games. They are all pretty similar in style and game play. Why try to force it? Too many other great games to play. (I love all the Uncharted games)

Avatar image for thedarklinglord
thedarklinglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 thedarklinglord
Member since 2003 • 1106 Posts

The gameplay is only moderately improved from one game to the next. The climbing/platforming controls are somewhat finicky in all three games, the combat and encounters are also pretty similar across the board, and the stories from game to game aren't drastically better or worse. If you aren't into the first game, if it isn't grabbing you enough to want to finish it, then I wouldn't really expect you to enjoy the other two games either.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@Chris_53: Yes. The first game ND were creating an engine for the then-hard--to-program-for PS3 whilst juggling making a video game. The end result was Uncharted 1. Once U1 was done and the engine was up and running, that allowed ND's sequels to be focused on the gameplay. This is an issue with most developers every gen btw.

Once the Uncharted engine was up and going, you'll see why Uncharted 2/3 were so much better than 1. Especially U2, which won numerous GOTY awards (and has an incredibly high metascore). U2 in fact, inspired many other developers including the Crystal Dynamics for their new Tomb Raider games.

I didn't mind U1, but it didn't blow me away either way back then in 2007, but U2 was quite good back then.

BTW: I don't own the collection, I played those games way back then.

Nercay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Nercay
Member since 2007 • 607 Posts

The following two are much better, but not to the point that you're going to love them if you didn't like the first one. Maybe Uncharted isn't for you.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#8 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@Chris_53: chris is it possible you are just not good at the game, enough to complete it? Uncharted can be pretty tough for some gamers, maybe you are just not ready for it.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#9 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@Nercay: Coolyfett agrees. Uncharted 1 is really no different from the rest, it is just the mission prior to the other two missions. All 3 games can be very immersive, but if Chris is not enjoying the game, its probably not the game, but the gamer.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

The first Uncharted from the perspective of story, interactions and building the core mechanics of the universe we know today still remains my favorite, especially the interactions with Sully and Elena which I still enjoyed more then other two games. The gameplay was the weakest point for me personally which improved in every way when Uncharted 2 was released.

So yes, the second game is a marvel and the third game is also very good.

I would recommend you stick it out and do finish the game, they are story related. You can also lower the difficulty if it's hard at times. Cover is your best friend and the game isn't overly difficult it has its challenges.

KratosYOLOSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 KratosYOLOSwag
Member since 2013 • 1827 Posts

Try to finish Uncharted 1 if you can but you should definitely try the others, they are much better. You probably wouldn't be able to go back to Uncharted 1 after playing 2 and 3. Uncharted 1 is also much harder than the other 2.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10447 Posts

i'm in a similar boat. bought the collection after missing them all last gen. started drake's fortune. found it kind of fun but a bit too dated and simplistic to hold my attention. started uc2 and it's considerably better than the first game. the controls, combat and platform-ing are much more fleshed out, visually it's a vast improvement and overall, even though i'm only four missions in, i can see this one holding my attention to the end.

@Coolyfett said:

@Chris_53: chris is it possible you are just not good at the game, enough to complete it? Uncharted can be pretty tough for some gamers, maybe you are just not ready for it.

and the award for the most patronising post of the year goes to...

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

i find Uncharted 1 very enjoyable.. i just finished it today for the first time since it 2007 and its still a great game and holds up well.. i still hate the sea-doo parts but other than that i love it almost equally as the others. iI would stick it out and finish it, Uncharted is an amazing experience

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#14 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts

Thanks for the responses. As it turns out I've started to enjoy the game a bit more now, there were some sections such as when you're in the jetski that were really frustrating. Those things aside, I'm enjoying the combat in the game. I'm looking forward to playing the other two. I will probably remove this thread as the issue is pretty much resolved

Avatar image for kingcobrasoccer
kingcobrasoccer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 kingcobrasoccer
Member since 2005 • 1924 Posts

First time playing all three games as well. As a previous xbox fanboy and huge gears fan I can't help but notice the crappy cover system and shooting mechanics in UC 1 ; however, the controls are much more refined in UC2. The action sequences although fairly simple to figure out look amazing and fun to play through. I just started UC3, so far it plays very similar to the previous game which is not a bad thing. Keep pushing through it!